Project Monotype Tutoring Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

banner by Moosical

Welcome to the Monotype Tutoring Program!

The goal of this project is to support users that wish to either learn Monotype or gain a deeper understanding of it. To this end, tutees will be paired with tutors to guide and help them along this path.

As with all projects, there are rules that must be followed. Please read them carefully to ensure the entire process is as smooth as possible. Users that break the rules may be barred from participating.

Rules:
1. It is expected that tutees are at least somewhat familiar with Pokemon and the concept of Monotype, although material experience in Monotype is not a requirement.
2. Tutees will be paired with tutors on a first-come, first-serve basis so long as we are confident there will not be timezone issues. Because certain areas of the world may have many or few tutors, others may be paired before you. We will do our best to make sure everyone gets a tutor in a timely manner, though.
3. Tutors are volunteering to do this and use their time to do so. Please understand if they have other commitments by accommodating them to a reasonable degree. This means trying to schedule times you are both without distractions and are able to gain the most from this project. However, if your schedules do not work out, let us know so that a new tutor can be assigned to you.
4. Your ability to have a useful learning experience is the key, so if you come across any issues whatsoever, you are strongly encouraged to reach out to Eien or anyone else on the Monotype staff team in a private and confidential channel as soon as possible so that we can help to sort things out. If you have positive feedback, you are always welcome to provide that as well.
5. You agree to commit to the project. We have limited tutors. Do not waste everyone's time if you cannot stay engaged or participate for the entire length of your tutoring sessions.

The Process:
Fill out the tutee signup form and post in this thread. You will be paired as soon as there is an available tutor. Please be patient during this time, we will do our best but sometimes things will not work out quickly. If you realize you do not need tutoring or will not have the time anymore before you are assigned a tutor, simply delete your post.

You and your tutor will then work together over the course of the next two weeks. It's up to you two to decide when and for how long each session will last, but your tutor should assist you for a minimum of five hours over the weeks. This project is meant to help you, so if after the two weeks are over, you feel you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out about future options.

During this time, your tutor will help you with learning the Monotype metagame, becoming more familiar with building in Monotype and proper play. This is also a great time to become more engaged with the Monotype community, as your tutors are many of our most respected members and are able to help you get to know the other people in the community both in our chatroom and our forums. Take advantage of having a direct channel to some of the best players and contributors in Monotype.

While we are not supportive of users only learning or knowing one type in Monotype because such a practice does not lend itself to long-term success or versatility, due to time constraints, you will certainly not be tutored in all of the types. As a result, feel free to optionally list a handful of types or playstyles you are especially interested in learning in the goals section if you have any in mind. We will endeavor to give you as well-rounded of an experience as possible either way.

For Tutees:
Please fill out the below form and post it in this thread.
Smogon Username:
Pokemon Showdown Username:
Discord Contact (optional):
Timezone (GMT differential):
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?:
If and only if you have already contacted and gotten approval from a specific tutor, you may name them here:
We will try to match you as soon as possible.

For Prospective Tutors:
Please fill out the below form and PM it to Eien.
Smogon Username:
Pokemon Showdown Username:
Discord Contact (optional):
Timezone (GMT differential):
Availability:
Qualifications:
List of Current Tutors:

List of Current Tutees and Paired Tutors:

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
Smogon Username: Baloor
Pokemon Showdown Username: Baloor
Discord Contact (optional): Baloor#9296
Timezone (GMT differential): GMT -7
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: Just learning the meta as a whole. I want branch out and try different tiers as OU manages to get fairly lackluster. (Was also peer pressured by doubleswithces)
If and only if you have already contacted and gotten approval from a specific tutor, you may name them here: Eien

Assigned to Eien

Last edited by a moderator:
Smogon Username: Aehzo
Pokemon Showdown Username: Zgx
Discord Contact (optional): Rae#5486
Timezone (GMT differential): EST, I could stay up longer if needed.
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: Team Building, and possibly predicting.

Assigned to Ridley

Skolas

formerly Lotus Ninja
Smogon Username: Lotus Ninja
Pokemon Showdown Username: Rebel Skolas
Discord Contact (optional): IWISHIWASASH#3634
Timezone (GMT differential): HST
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: Learn to make top tier teams, such that could suspect tested, and learning how to use such a team efficiently. Also would love to be able to beat specific ppl like wincon

Assigned to iLlama

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Smogon Username: Cloud9 NxtLvl
PS Username: C9 NxtLvl
Discord Contact: C9 (-Smh-) #3337
Timezone (GMT Differential): EST
-I'm a pretty bad teambuilder by others standards, despite thinking in what my mind is optimal.
-My mindset when it comes to battling has improved (s/o Wanka for the help), but I feel that I still have much farther to go if I want to feel comfortable in the plays that I make.
-I've been told that I come off as misunderstood and illogical when it comes to the knowledge of the meta. My reasoning of what is a threat and not is found strange by higher level players that also believe that I think stupidly and irrationally, despite calmly providing evidence to my thought process and standing my grounds on the matter. The only way I think this can be resolved would be to pair me with someone that has a greater knowledge of the meta and its evolution firsthand. Point being, I would like to be paired with Eien or Paleo if that is possible.

Assigned to Azelea

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Smogon Username: Alpha-Harpreet
Pokemon Showdown Username: Harpp
Discord Contact (optional): Alpha-Harp#8020
Timezone (GMT differential):GMT +5:30
Battling and a good team building.
Want to focus on team building.
No harm learning a new thing or two imo :]

Assigned to terrors

Smogon Username: smokebreakbattles
Pokemon Showdown Username: EDBTrialTeams, Smokebreakbattles, Dab&BeerEDB, WoodstockPTM, FIR Jeraldo etc
Discord Contact (optional): n/a
Timezone (GMT differential): GMT -6
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: I want to focus on having a well rounded knowledge of playstyles and all 18 types; to have a better understanding of the tier than I do already.

Assigned to KevinELF

sanguine

friendly fire
is a Tiering Contributor
Smogon Username: Masterampharos
Pokemon Showdown Username: MasterAmpharos
Discord Contact (optional): MasterAmpharos#3517
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: I want to learn the various ways to be successful in the metagame.
If and only if you have already contacted and gotten approval from a specific tutor, you may name them here:

Assigned to Paleo

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Smogon Username: Ghost Cream
Pokemon Showdown Username: Decem
Discord Contact (optional): Decem#8776
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: I want to learn what types to bring during tours and to not make the worse play. (choking) :(

Assigned to pork chop man

Smogon Username:aGroove
Pokemon Showdown Username: a-groove
Discord Contact (optional): Groove#1265
Timezone (GMT differential): GMT -4
I'd like to focus on teambuilding mostly due to the fact that I've restricted myself to playing 2-3 types well for a while, and having more knowledge on a variety of types would improve my skill as a player - my metagame knowledge is pretty lacking aside from a decent knowledge of electric.

Assigned to Moosical

Smogon Username: ken10naka
Pokemon Showdown Username: ken10naka
Discord Contact (optional): @ken10naka#8723
Timezone (GMT differential): PST (GMT -7:00)

-main focus: gaining a better understanding of building cores in monotype.

Last edited:
Smogon Username: MCVPodge
Pokemon Showdown Username: MCVPodge
Discord Contact (optional): MCVPodge#6786
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: While I am a long term player I often get into a "gym leader" mode and basically main a type. I have recently branched out but I could use improvement in team building especially for tours. I am also often to aggressive and make the non ideal play, so learning to be more balanced in play style I guess would be another thing.

Smogon Username: GoldenTorkoal
Pokemon Showdown Username: GoldenTorkoal
Discord Contact (optional): GoldenTorkoal#2677
Timezone (GMT differential): GMT +1
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: I want to improve my teambuilding skills as well as identifying better when do i need to make a play and when do i nee to play safer.

Smogon Username: GotCookies
Pokemon Showdown Username: iGotCookies
Discord Contact (optional): GotCookies#4371
Timezone (GMT Differential): GMT -5
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: To get better at Pokemon and learn how to teambuild properly. Also when to make risky plays and when to make safe plays.

Smogon Username: Lord Sylex
Pokemon Showdown Username: Vyruss
Discord Contact (optional): Vyrus#9394
Timezone (GMT differential): GMT +4
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: Learning how to teambuild better and determine what determines the win in certain dreadful matchups

Smogon Username: Steal and Steel
Pokemon Showdown Username: Steal and Steel
Discord Contact (optional): Enrique#0233
Timezone (GMT differential):GMT +5:30
Battling, team building and strategies. Even after knowing things about this tier, i struggle getting up on ladder idk why, i wanna get some skills in total.

Smogon Username: Shine Drive
Pokemon Showdown Username: SD Gallade
Discord Contact (optional): Shine-Drive#5485
Timezone (GMT differential):GMT +5:30,Could stay up longer if needed
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?:Mastering all playstyles, becoming a better teambuilder

Smogon Username: Htaras
Pokemon Showdown Username: Htaras
Discord Contact (optional): Htaras#0796
Timezone (GMT differential): GMT + 5:30

I want to be able to top the ladder someday while being able to use all the types well . (Being a versatile player)

Tutor : KevinELF
[20:38:27] KevinELF: You can if you want sure

Assigned to KevinELF

Smogon Username: Alpha Rabbit
Pokemon Showdown Username: a rabbit
Discord Contact (optional): AlphaRabbut#6699
Timezone (GMT differential): GMT + 0

What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: Mainly making plays and predicting well like double switches when needed. Also adapting to the team's required play-style, identifying great leads, wincons and generally becoming a better battler. Also my favourite part would be innovation and creating teams centered around less common strategies. Also tourney plays and ssnls and what not would be of great help as well

EDIT: I talked to terrors and he would be willing to tutor me after he's finished with Alpha Harpreet.

Last edited:
Smogon Username: Iggy96
Pokemon Showdown Username: FIR Iggy
Discord Contact (optional): Iggy#8974
Timezone (GMT differential): GMT+1
Teambuilding mostly, becoming a more versatile player (playing like 3 types well atm) and how to prepare for tours (like what types to bring, etc)

Smogon Username: Magikingdra
Pokemon Showdown Username: Magikingdra
Discord Contact (optional): N/A
Timezone (GMT differential): GMT - 5

I'd like to get better at teambuilding/predictions/being a versatile player.

Namranan

:)))))))))))
Smogon Username: Namranan
Pokemon Showdown Username: Namranan
Discord Contact (optional): N/A
Timezone (GMT differential): GMT - 4 (or Est)
being a versatile player and help with the competitive forum tourney scene.
I also want a better grasp of mono OM's specifically Mono AAA and Mono Stabmons

Last edited:
Smogon Username:eldirtyburrito
Pokemon Showdown Username:eldirtyburrito
Discord Contact (optional):John ross#3350
Timezone (GMT differential):Est
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: team building and better end game predictions. Basically the way to win the match just not get kos

Smogon Username: Crashy
Pokemon Showdown Username: Crashy
Discord Contact (optional): bennie#5286
Timezone (GMT differential): Gmt-4 (est)
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: Making viable teams, because I usually make crap teams and would like help with that

Smogon Username: Haakunite
Pokemon Showdown Username: Haaku
Discord Contact (optional): Haaku#3717
What, if anything, do you want to focus on?: Becoming a better builder and overall a better player with knowledge in every type.
If and only if you have already contacted and gotten approval from a specific tutor, you may name them here: Paleo

Assigned to Paleo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)