Project Monotype Victim of the Week [INDEX]

(moderator note: This thread was originally posted by 6ti. The thread's ownership was transferred to smub when he took over the project.)
approved by scpinion, thanks The Excadrill for banner

In Monotype, more so than other tiers, there are huge threats that can be very hard to get past for types that have a large amount of shared weaknesses. As such, teambuilding in Monotype can be tough, and there are so many teambuilding pressures that it can be difficult to decide what to add on to counter-act them. This thread is meant to serve as a resource by showing checks and counters to common threats in the Monotype metagame.

Rules:

1. Every cycle, I will nominate a Pokemon for discussion. Within 7 days' time, you guys will have the ability to discuss and nominate various Pokémon that you think can either check or counter the featured victim, for one or more types.

2. If something is a sufficient check/counter, I will add it to the archive after the 7 day cycle.

3. This project's next cycle will come out when it's its turn on the project schedule.

4. Follow the definitions for checks and counters, by MattL in The Smog Issue 32! (With a loose interpretation, as since this is Monotype, it is hard to fit these criteria.)

Pokémon A checks Pokémon B if, when Pokémon A is given a free switch into Pokémon B, Pokémon A can win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax.
Pokémon A counters Pokémon B if Pokémon A can manually switch into Pokémon B and still win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax.
5. Make sure your Pokemon is viable. If your Pokemon isn't ranked in the viability rankings here, then don't post it.

6. Make sure your posts are substantial. Post calcs even if obvious.

7. You may reserve a check or counter, but you must post before the cycle is over or else it won't be counted.

8. The restricted types only apply to Pokemon on that type, for example if Poison is restricted you can still do Dragalge for Dragon.

Last edited:
Cycle 1

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
All types except:

Mega-Metagross has been one of the most dangerous "new" threats to early Su/Mo monotype, with a speed tier of 110, great bulk, and Tough Claws.
Deadline: 12/26

Normal Counter

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Discharge
- Ice Beam

While the last two moves are filler, the first two moves can help Porygon-2 switch into Mega-Metagross at any time. Because Hammer-Arm isn't on this particular Metagross-Mega set, Porygon2 should have no trouble completely walling Metagross, and clicking Foul Play if Metagross gets an attack boost. Recover shrugs off almost all damage (ignoring chance).

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 108-127 (28.9 - 34%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 96-114 (25.7 - 30.5%) -- 8.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

If Metagross gets an attack boost from Meteor Mash:
+1 0- Atk Tough Claws Porygon2 Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 308-364 (102.3 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Water and Ground Defensive Counter

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Stockpile

Mega Metagross's attack are either all resisted by or neutral to Quagsire so it doesn't have to worry about that SE damage. Secondly Mega Metagross can do around only a 1/3 to Quagsire even with a few meteor mash boosts thanks to Quagsires unaware while Quagsire can simply click recover or stockpile on its attacks. At +1 Quagsire can't be even 4 ohkoed by Metagross's strongest attack in this situation, Zen Headbutt. Meanwhile Mega Metagross can't recover and will be taking a good 45-52% from each EQ Quagsire uses and can easily just continually click Scald to burn Mega Metagross for it to be virtually impossible for this Mega Metagross set to take out without extreme Zen Headbutt flinching luck. And if Mega Metagross gets real lucky and Ice Punch freezes you, Scald thaws you out 100% of the time :D!

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 148-175 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 99-117 (25.1 - 29.6%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 134-158 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:
Because it can’t fire boulders at a rapid pace, it’s been known to seize nearby Geodude and fire them from its back.

Soft counter Alola Golem on Rock

Golem-Alola @ Groundium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 148 HP / 224 Atk / 136 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wild Charge
- Heavy Slam / Fire Blast

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 148 HP / 136 Def Golem-Alola: 148-175 (43.7 - 51.7%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 148 HP / 136 Def Golem-Alola: 132-156 (39 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

224+ Atk Golem-Alola Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Metagross-Mega: 282-332 (93.6 - 110.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
224+ Atk Golem-Alola Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Metagross-Mega: 282-332 (93.6 - 110.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

EVs are to have a 94% chance to OHKO Mega Metagross after Stealth Rocks (Garunteed after 1 layer of Spikes) with Groundium Z Earthquake and the remaining EVs maximizing bulk (If you spread it as 252/28 EVs maxing out HP its a 23% chance and maxing Def is a 18% chance to 2HKO with Meteor Mash). This lets you counter Metagross without rocks or spikes on the field or check them if they are already set. The rest of the set is basically filler, Wild Charge and Stone Edge are STABs and Heavy Slam is because you haven't left your mom's basement for years so you might as well put that weight to good use (Fire Blast is an option to not ohko Mega Scizor 0 SpA Golem-Alola Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 200-236 (71.1 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO).

ps if you lose to megagross make sure to say something like "lmao trash players needing hax to win steel v rock" or "cteamed again lol!" or "steel wins again. classic"

Last edited:
I fiddled with calcs, thinking max D Rotom-Wash or Zapdos would be a good enough check, but Zen Headbutt still 2hkos max D rotom and Ice punch still 2hkos Max D Zapdos. Honestly, I haven't come up with a good
"counter" on electric, but there are a few checks that work.

(Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is my standard Zone right now. I dropped Sturdy for Magnet pull so it became easier to kill steel types like Ferrothorn. Regardless, Magnezone can come in on a double switch, after a teammate dies, or you predicted a switch and did volt/uturn. It resist all of the Megagross's attacks and is only 3hko by zen headbutt, possibly 2hko if you took stealth rock damage.
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 123-144 (35.7 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It fires back with specs HP fire for the 2 hit KO, or thunderbolt if you would rather be locked in to that.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 223-264 (74 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 200-236 (66.4 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

I will post another one later.

Counter
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Defog

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 240 HP / 216+ Def Mandibuzz: 168-198 (39.9 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 240 HP / 216+ Def Mandibuzz: 148-175 (35.1 - 41.5%) -- 77.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 240 HP / 216+ Def Mandibuzz: 248-294 (58.9 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 236-282 (78.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mandibuzz is able to switch into any attack from Mega Metagross and threaten it out with Foul Play. If Mega Metagross stays in attempting to boost its attack with Meteor Mash, the boost in attack will guarantee an OHKO from Foul Play. The only scenario where Mega Metagross beats Mandibuzz is if it manages to get +1 off of Meteor Mash on the switch, but even in this scenario the rolls off of Meteor Mash into Ice Punch have to be high to guarantee the OHKO on Leftovers Mandibuzz. Rocky Helmet Mandibuzz is another common set that is able to Roost stall Mega Metagross or threaten to OHKO after one contact move from Mega Metagross.

Last edited:

TheAce22

Banned deucer.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Stockpile

Mega Metagross's attack are either all resisted by or neutral to Quagsire so it doesn't have to worry about that SE damage. Secondly Mega Metagross can do around only a 1/3 to Quagsire even with a few meteor mash boosts thanks to Quagsires unaware while Quagsire can simply click recover or stockpile on its attacks. At +1 Quagsire can't be even 4 ohkoed by Metagross's strongest attack in this situation, Zen Headbutt. Meanwhile Mega Metagross can't recover and will be taking a good 45-52% from each EQ Quagsire uses and can easily just continually click Scald to burn Mega Metagross for it to be virtually impossible for this Mega Metagross set to take out without extreme Zen Headbutt flinching luck

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 148-175 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 99-117 (25.1 - 29.6%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 134-158 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO
Grass Knot??

e: my mistake

Last edited:
For Bug I use...

Defensive Mega-Scizor

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technitian
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock off
- U-turn / Bullet Punch / Toxic

I probably don't need to go into detail as to how this set (and this Pokemon in general) hard walls Mega-Metagross: Scizor resists both of Gross's STABs and has the unholy natural bulk to shrug off all but the most powerful of neutral hits.

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scizor-Mega: 66-78 (19.1 - 22.6%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scizor-Mega: 59-69 (17.1 - 20%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scizor-Mega: 52-62 (15.1 - 18%) -- possible 6HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scizor-Mega: 33-39 (9.5 - 11.3%) -- possible 9HKO

Last edited:

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
Bug check

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Roost

Defensive Volcarona is able to survive any given hit from Mega Megagross once, and is able to OHKO Mega Megagross after a Quiver Dance. If you are able to burn it with Flame Body, you can now spam Roost and Quiver Dance, auto-winning against any Steel team that doesn't run Air Balloon Heatran.

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 208+ Def Volcarona: 183-216 (49 - 57.9%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

+1 0 SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross-Mega: 308-366 (102.3 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Still no counter for electric, but I just don't think electric needs a counter for this thing, a check will do just nicely. If you sack someone so be it, if you get in on a slow volt switch from zapdos or Rotom, that works too.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega on a critical hit: 271-319 (90 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Koko can run modest since it outspeeds, and if stealth rock is on play or Megagross has the slightest bit of chip damage, Megagross is OHKOd.

water check
Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Iron Defense
- Scald
- Slack Off

Both Slowbro and Mega Bro pretty much consistently switches into Mega Metagross even when rocks are up. CM MegaBro can use it as set up fodder as well. Iron Defense means Mega Slowbro will always beat Metagross 1v1 even if it gets boosts from Meteor Mash. Only thing that sucks is this doesn't switch into a +1 Thunder Punch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6ti

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...

Poison RK​
Salazzle (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dragon Pulse

252 SpA Choice Specs Salazzle Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross-Mega: 362-428 (120.2 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross-Mega: 440-522 (146.1 - 173.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Poison usually has difficulty when it comes to metagross, but thanks to Queen Salazzle say no more, outspeeds and OHKO's i usually run Fire Blast but theres always those few couple of ppl who complain about accuracy so that can be run to to OHKO, so ya

I don't think you understand how this works: the set that the community posts is a check/counter to the set that I, the host, posted. My Megagross set doesn't have Grass Knot, so it shouldn't be taken into consideration when checking/countering it.
I agree with TheAce22 here, the most common megagross set now is like Mmash/Zen headbutt/Ice Punch/Grass Knot (rekts most grounds/waters), but anyway, on the thread:

Flying counter
@ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Defog/Spikes
- Roost

Ya, lazy counter is lazy :3

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 132-156 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

ty for remember 6ti

Last edited:
I agree with TheAce22 here, the most common megagross set now is like Meteor mash/Zen headbutt/Ice Punch/Grass Knot (it does wonders again grounds/waters in general), but anyway, on the thread:

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Defog/Spikes
- Roost
Ya, lazy counter is lazy :3
6. Make sure your posts are substantial. Post calcs even if obvious, and definitely provide a few lines of description.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
First off, I believe all M-Metagross' should run either Hammer Arm or Earthquake since BoltBeam + Double STAB is slightly unneccesary and leaves you completely walled by things you're supposed to beat, like Heatran and Ferrothorn.

Grass Counter

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Thunder Wave

EVs are whatever and Moves are completely up to the rest of the team, I just c/p'd this one from one of my Grass-teams. Metagross can't do anything to Ferrothorn and get's chipped every time it comes in, giving Ferrothorn the freedom to easily annoy switch-ins with Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, or set up hazards. You could probably run Knock Off over any move here too to annoy Defensive Heatran but it's whatever really. Falls under the category 'Hard Counter'.

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 96 Def Ferrothorn: 76-90 (21.5 - 25.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 96 Def Ferrothorn: 67-80 (19 - 22.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 96 Def Ferrothorn: 85-101 (24.1 - 28.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

futuron

Banned deucer.
Water Check

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

as simple as it looks; protect in base form for +1 spe and ohko every time.

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 320-378 (106.3 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Not to tell you how to run Ur thread 6ti, but I feel you should slash common moves on the mon, so that actual checks and counters to the mon as a whole are posted, rather than that one set. I mean the whole point is to show new players what mons can be used as check/counters. So if they for example bring heatran as a check because it was posted for this, they'll get bopped by hammer arm/earthquake (like shadestep mentioned) , which are common moves. Again, just my opinion on it which you don't gotta follow.

Not to tell you how to run Ur thread 6ti, but I feel you should slash common moves on the mon, so that actual checks and counters to the mon as a whole are posted, rather than that one set. I mean the whole point is to show new players what mons can be used as check/counters. So if they for example bring heatran as a check because it was posted for this, they'll get bopped by hammer arm/earthquake (like shadestep mentioned) , which are common moves. Again, just my opinion on it which you don't gotta follow.
First off, I believe all M-Metagross' should run either Hammer Arm or Earthquake since BoltBeam + Double STAB is slightly unneccesary and leaves you completely walled by things you're supposed to beat, like Heatran and Ferrothorn.
Thanks for the criticism! I would change this current set if the week hadn't started, so in the future i'll slash other viable moves (but not multiple sets ofc)

round 1 is over! thanks to everyone who submitted, I'll implement all of them except for tapu koko (fails to ohko without modest which is bad), a-golem (nothing about it is guaranteed), and skarmory (can be 2hkod after rocks) soon

Last edited:
Cycle 2

Hoopa is broken asf (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Fire Punch

All types except:

Hoopa-U has been a threatening wallbreaker in Monotype since it was released in mid-2016, having two suspects in ORAS, but surviving both.
Posting deadline: 1/27

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Screech
- Reversal

Dugtrio can trap Hoopa-Unbound preventing it from leaving the battlefield and can easily revenge kill Hoopa-Unbound with 2 attacks. If Hoopa-Unbound previously has clicked Hyperspace Fury and Dugtrio traps it, Earthquake is capable of one shotting Hoopa-Unbound. Basically any 2 combinations of attacks by Dugtrio that has preserved its Focus Sash or a -1 Defense Hoopa will die to Dugtrio and can't switch to a teammate thanks to Arena Trap.
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 207-244 (68.7 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Reversal (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 275-324 (91.3 - 107.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Dugtrio Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 96-114 (31.8 - 37.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 309-364 (102.6 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Reactions: 6ti

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)