Other Metagames Mt. Pyre's Mega Steelix Bulky Ground

Yo guys its Mt. Pyre. This was an idea of mine a long time ago, before the smooth rock bans and shit, but I never actually wanted to do a RMT on this until recently so here it is. Mega Steelix is the base/star of this team so please don't ask where the Excadrill is. I should also mention that this team got its peak at 1685, which at the time was 3rd on the ladder. Proof below everything if you don't believe me. Lets begin then.

Metallica (Steelix) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

So Steelix is meant to be the star of the team. He is replacing Excadrill more or less. He also provides a better neutral against Grass. Anyways, I gave him Sturdy for his ability because it allows you to get a hit off if you aren't in the position to mega evolve. His EVs aree a little awkward even to me. THe 252 into HP is pretty standard. Now for attack and def, I knew he already was good in those areas, and I knew he was specially weak, so I figured, boost his defense and don't bother with special defense. I knew I needed some attack investment so I just estimated a good amount into defense and then put the rest into attack. Adamant just because he doesn't have many EVs into attack so why not boost it more. He runs EQ and Heavy Slam because they are both STAB and also both do about the same damage wise after mega in sand. Rest is there for recovery and then Sleep Talk is there so that you can still attack. It also works for tricking people into thinking you can't do anything while asleep if they have Spore or Sleep Powder mons.

Genie (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave/Psychic
- Gravity
- Focus Blast

This is pretty much the standard Landorus-I set. Life Orb with Sheer Force for that extra damage. 252 EVs into speed and special attack with the last 4 into HP. Timid to just make sure you are as fast as possible. Sludge Wave provides Fairy and Grass coverage while Focus Blast helps against Normal. and then Gravity is there to make it easier against Electric, Steel, and occasionally Flying. Earth Power is there for STAB and is just powerful when combined with Gravity.

Seismitoad @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 232 SpA / 32 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Icy Wind/Knock Off

So this is one important part of this team. Seismitoad is the water absorber of the team so that water does't just run through the team. In addition to being a water absorber, he is the only other special attacker besides Lando. Now he is also the special wall of the team which is why he has the Assault Vest. Now his EVs are awkward as fuck, but for a reason. He has 4 invested into speed because if other Seismitoads have no investments, he will always outspeed them and kill with Grass Knot. He has 32 invested into special defense and 240 into HP to make him just that much bulkier. Now because he is one of two special attackers I gave him 232 EVs into special attack and the Modest ability. He runs Earth power and Scald for STAB moves and Grass Knot and Icy Wind for coverage moves. Knock off can be good and is good, I just prefer to use Icy Wind.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Encore
- Toxic

Quagsire to me is like the hidden jewel of this team. He is a great troll and that wasn't even my original intention. Anyways, he has leftovers fro recovery, Unaware to prevent physical mons from set up sweeping the team, just in case. He has 252 in HP and defense for bulk and then 4 into attack to boost that EQ. HE runs recover for recovery, EQ for STAB and just so he has an attacking move. He has Encore to lock set up mons into moves they are setting up into and then Toxic to stall those mons he has locked into a move.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw/Outrage

Garchomp is here for a Grass and Water neutral and for his speed. He is scarfed because without it, this team lacks the speed it needs to deal with some potential threats. 252 EVs in attack and speed so he is a fastish physical sweeper, which is also why he is Jolly. EQ and Dragon Claw are both good STAB moves.

Hippo (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Ice Fang/Whirlwind/Toxic

Hippowdown is mainly here to set up the sand to boost Mega Steelix's attack and to be a defensive wall. 252 EVs into defense and HP to make him a good wall with the rest into attack. Now me personally, I prefer Ice Fang over the Whirlwind and Toxic, but they are all good filler spots for his last move slot. EQ for STAB and just for an attack. Stealth Rocks because having hazards on a ground team is almost essential and then Slack Off for recovery.

So for threats, there are the a few types I can think of being Water, Grass and depending on the team, Flying. On Water you have the threat of Keldeo, Ludicolo, Mega Gyarados, and Slowbro. For Keldeo Chomp handles it fairly well. Against Ludicolo Sludge Wave Landorous can kill it after rocks damage. Mega Gyarados is handle again by Garchomp and finally Slowbro really can't be ohko'd, so the death of a mon of stalling with Quagsire is really the only way to handle it. For Grass you have the biggest threat to this team being Serperior. Its a bitch to kill and the only real way is to now mega evolve Steelix and then kill with Garchomp who will then outspeed it if it isn't scarfed.
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Gravity
- Focus Blast

Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Encore
- Toxic

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Ice Fang

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-227167707 - 1685
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-227164595 - 1671
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-227155939 - 1654
Picture proof - http://imgur.com/rfUfi9X
Stunfisk The Great
scpinion

Last edited:

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.

Yo guys its Mt. Pyre. This was an idea of mine a long time ago, before the smooth rock bans and shit, but I never actually wanted to do a RMT on this until recently so here it is. Mega Steelix is the base/star of this team so please don't ask where the Excadrill is. I should also mention that this team got its peak at 1685, which at the time was 3rd on the ladder. Proof below everything if you don't believe me. Lets begin then.

Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

So Steelix is meant to be the star of the team. He is replacing Excadrill more or less. He also provides a better neutral against Grass. Anyways, I gave him Sturdy for his ability because it allows you to get a hit off if you aren't in the position to mega evolve. His EVs aree a little awkward even to me. THe 252 into HP is pretty standard. Now for attack and def, I knew he already was good in those areas, and I knew he was specially weak, so I figured, boost his defense and don't bother with special defense. I knew I needed some attack investment so I just estimated a good amount into defense and then put the rest into attack. Adamant just because he doesn't have many EVs into attack so why not boost it more. He runs EQ and Heavy Slam because they are both STAB and also both do about the same damage wise after mega in sand. Rest is there for recovery and then Sleep Talk is there so that you can still attack. It also works for tricking people into thinking you can't do anything while asleep if they have Spore or Sleep Powder mons.

Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Gravity
- Focus Blast

This is pretty much the standard Landorus-I set. Life Orb with Sheer Force for that extra damage. 252 EVs into speed and special attack with the last 4 into HP. Timid to just make sure you are as fast as possible. Sludge Wave provides Fairy and Grass coverage while Focus Blast helps against Normal. and then Gravity is there to make it easier against Electric, Steel, and occasionally Flying. Earth Power is there for STAB and is just powerful when combined with Gravity.

Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Icy Wind/Knock Off

So this is one important part of this team. Seismitoad is the water absorber of the team so that water does't just run through the team. In addition to being a water absorber, he is the only other special attacker besides Lando. Now he is also the special wall of the team which is why he has the Assault Vest. Now his EVs are awkward as fuck, but for a reason. He has 4 invested into speed because if other Seismitoads have no investments, he will always outspeed them and kill with Grass Knot. He has 32 invested into special defense and 240 into HP to make him just that much bulkier. Now because he is one of two special attackers I gave him 232 EVs into special attack and the Modest ability. He runs Earth power and Scald for STAB moves and Grass Knot and Icy Wind for coverage moves. Knock off can be good and is good, I just prefer to use Icy Wind.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Encore
- Toxic

Quagsire to me is like the hidden jewel of this team. He is a great troll and that wasn't even my original intention. Anyways, he has leftovers fro recovery, Unaware to prevent physical mons from set up sweeping the team, just in case. He has 252 in HP and defense for bulk and then 4 into attack to boost that EQ. HE runs recover for recovery, EQ for STAB and just so he has an attacking move. He has Encore to lock set up mons into moves they are setting up into and then Toxic to stall those mons he has locked into a move.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw/Outrage

Garchomp is here for a Grass and Water neutral and for his speed. He is scarfed because without it, this team lacks the speed it needs to deal with some potential threats. 252 EVs in attack and speed so he is a fastish physical sweeper, which is also why he is Jolly. EQ and Dragon Claw are both good STAB moves.

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Ice Fang/Whirlwind/Toxic

Hippowdown is mainly here to set up the sand to boost Mega Steelix's attack and to be a defensive wall. 252 EVs into defense and HP to make him a good wall with the rest into attack. Now me personally, I prefer Ice Fang over the Whirlwind and Toxic, but they are all good filler spots for his last move slot. EQ for STAB and just for an attack. Stealth Rocks because having hazards on a ground team is almost essential and then Slack Off for recovery.

So for threats, there are the a few types I can think of being Water, Grass and depending on the team, Flying. On Water you have the threat of Keldeo, Ludicolo, Mega Gyarados, and Slowbro. For Keldeo Chomp handles it fairly well. Against Ludicolo Sludge Wave Landorous can kill it after rocks damage. Mega Gyarados is handle again by Garchomp and finally Slowbro really can't be ohko'd, so the death of a mon of stalling with Quagsire is really the only way to handle it. For Grass you have the biggest threat to this team being Serperior. Its a bitch to kill and the only real way is to now mega evolve Steelix and then kill with Garchomp who will then outspeed it if it isn't scarfed.
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Gravity
- Focus Blast

Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Encore
- Toxic

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Ice Fang

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-227167707 - 1685
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-227164595 - 1671
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-227155939 - 1654
Picture proof - http://imgur.com/rfUfi9X
Stunfisk The Great
scpinion
I REMEBER when we were in same league and I didn't believ U at all about peaking number 3, then I saw screenshot, idk how it did it but this team is the best ungeneirc ground team ive seen, and somehow peaked that high.

GJ

Hey pyre, great team! May want to note that Landorus helps a bunch to check grass as well, especially carrying Sludge Wave. You may want to also put Psychic as a secondary option, since the team is generally a beat weak to fighting, and it's pretty convenient to check Mega Venusaur. Otherwise, I remember how great this team was when I watched it ladder, and I love that it had success w/o Excadrill, which can typically be hard to flop aside since under sand, it's one of the the most threatening sweepers in the game. Awesome job tho, I'll add this to team showcase when I get the chance! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)