Music embarrassments

In my opinion, people who stains the name of music are all those people bashing popular bands just to feel better about their tastes.

-If you don't like a band, just don't listen to it
-Arguing about music is pointless, the best thing to do is to share your tastes and favorite bands

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Justin Bieber I don't think is embarrassing music. He's actually a talented kid. The problem is that the music industry and pop culture has completely corrupted him into a cocky little prick. I agree with mentioning the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus. Other names I would include are:

Ashlee Simpson
Kesha
Taylor Swift
Panic at the Disco
Fallout Boy
Newfound Glory
MIMS
T-Pain
Natasha Bedingfield
Katy Perry
Jack Johnson
[any of the 1574039659840938 "artists" whose only tool is a voice modulator]
[anyone spawned by Simon Cowell not named Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson]

The reason I think all of the ones I listed are embarrassments is because their music is unoriginal, most can't write their own music, and all their singing sounds atrocious without the heavy influence of a tone editor to clean up the pitch. These individuals have little to no talent, and their music is essentially manufactured by a computer as the stuff released in stores isn't even close to what the original/live sounded like.

The exception to this is Jack Johnson, whom I don't really have a huge issue with because he's pretty mellow and modest. The only reason I listed him is because his music has no substance to it. He's essentially whispering into a microphone while occasionally striking a suppressed guitar that isn't even producing notes. That to me is not music. He's a good surfer though *shrug*

Any agreements/disagreements?

[any of the 1574039659840938 "artists" whose only tool is a voice modulator]
Agree. But, what do you think about techno/electro/dance music?

I hope anybody gets angry with the mentions of this post, it is just an opinion. And remember we are not here to insult any band.

And remember we are not here to insult any band.
Calling a band an "embarrassment" isn't an insult?

Essentially people are going to list music they don't like, and in your case, music groups which are not intended for your dynamic. Certain groups have certain target audiences, I do not think it's fair to call them "embarrassments" because that doesn't include you and because you dislike them. What Waterbomb said about Beiber applies to a lot of people; they're talented but they catch heat from people that don't even regularly listen to their genre of music. You don't even list reasons why you dislike the three in the OP; you just list them for the sake of either A) finding comfort in knowing others feel the same way (and/or trying to fit in) or B) to troll people that do like them.

EDIT:
I don't think that call a band embarrassment is an insult. If somebody said AC/DC is and embarrassment I won't care, but if someone said stuff like they are a shit maybe I care.
Case in point: you listen to AC/DC but feel the need to call 3 pop-teen bands embarrassments when it is very clear they don't fit your tastes. If you called them garbage that's a matter of taste (I still stand that there shouldn't be a thread for this, it accomplishes nothing), but to call them an embarrassment is a whole new level of downing that needs some kind of backing. You're not just calling them bad or stating that you dislike them, you're calling them a blemish on the industry that is affecting everyone else. You're full on insinuating that if they didn't produce music something positive would happen, and a statement like that requires some kind of argument behind it.

Aside from all the obvious ones, I really don't like Tegan and Sara. (has anyone here heard of them? O_o) The actual music is okay, sometimes a bit weird and choppy, but their voices are absolutely awful.

I like some electro-rap-rock stuff (Hollywood Undead and Mindless Self Indulgence, cough) but I hate most of it. I hate most mainstream stuff too but I like some Fall Out Boy.

Also, Lady GaGa. My God.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
@OP:

Do you even bother looking at the names of forums before posting your threads? Do you bother thinking at ALL?

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@OP:

Do you even bother looking at the names of forums before posting your threads? Do you bother thinking at ALL?
J-man copycats ERRYWHERE.

Musically speaking, the only embarrassments occur from what you perceive. Think about it.

Calling a band an "embarrassment" isn't an insult?

Essentially people are going to list music they don't like, and in your case, music groups which are not intended for your dynamic. Certain groups have certain target audiences, I do not think it's fair to call them "embarrassments" because that doesn't include you and because you dislike them. What Waterbomb said about Beiber applies to a lot of people; they're talented but they catch heat from people that don't even regularly listen to their genre of music but people take shots at them. What you're trying to do here goes beyond opinions, and a thread to list bands you dislike is completely pointless because it exists just to troll people that do like those bands.
I don't think that call a band embarrassment is an insult. If somebody said AC/DC is and embarrassment I won't care, but if someone said stuff like they are a shit maybe I care. We are not children. We can tolerate another opinions, despite we are not agree. But respect is important. We cannot call whatever we want just because we don't like a band. That doesn't mean we cannot to say that X band is an embarrassment or has no idea on music.

Forgive me for asking this, but why does everyone list mostly pop musicians as being "embarrassments"? Why not just say that "Pop" is a "stain" on the name of music in general? Or could it just be that you guys don't like Pop in general, but just because you don't like something doesn't mean they "stain the name of music". If you are going to provide a list of people, please at least provide some reasoning to as why you think so, because this is a very opinionated topic, which not everyone will agree on, and it would be nice for others to understand the problems you have with their favourite musicians.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I now edited my post to include my reasons :)

And you're right RBG, I do not personally like pop music, but I can acknowledge when an artist actually has musical talent (Kelly Clarkson) and/or does something creative (Lady Gaga).

How can you not like Tegan and Sara?

An artist I don't really like is Ke$ha; the "$" in her name is just stupid. I haven't listened to her whole albums or anything, but from what I've heard, she doesn't have very much talent and uses auto-tune a lot in her songs. And she's not very good looking either, so I don't understand how she's so popular. I guess one must give her credit for figuring out how to please the masses.

Any X Factor winner. For those not in the UK: X Factor is a TV talent show, run by Simon Cowell. The show ends just before christmas, and almost every X Factor winner has then taken the Christmas Number 1, highly coveted in the UK, with their insipid covers.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Any X Factor winner. For those not in the UK: X Factor is a TV talent show, run by Simon Cowell. The show ends just before christmas, and almost every X Factor winner has then taken the Christmas Number 1, highly coveted in the UK, with their insipid covers.
This fits nicely with the last item on my list, as just about any person Simon Cowell "discovers" ends up putting out utter crap. Not really to the fault of the artist either, because they are generally forced to accept a contract with Simon's label and perform the music he chooses, rather than have the freedom to pursue their own contract with a label and write/perform their own music. Simon has ruined the potential careers of some extremely talented individuals (see: Ruben, Jordyn Sparks, other Idol winners who had one mediocre hit and then faded to nothingness).

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Most of the obsessed-over pop artists
Any and all "scene" music (ADTR, Brokencyde, Attack Attack!, BMTH, etc.) Most modern metal/deathcore falls here
A good portion of modern rap
Most if not all nu metal / post-grunge
Any band that has drastically changed its style in a short amount of time merely to cater to fans

That's all I can think of right now.

I now edited my post to include my reasons :)

And you're right RBG, I do not personally like pop music, but I can acknowledge when an artist actually has musical talent (Kelly Clarkson) and/or does something creative (Lady Gaga).
Exactly. Not to mention Lady Gaga actually does have genuine talent and actually doesn't have need of an editor to make her voice sound great. She writes her music, does what she believes in, and earns my respect. Albeit, her music is definitely not my thing (apart from a few okay slow tunes), I don't deny her talents.

I would call Ke$ha one of the closest artists to 'embarassing' (though 'sellout' is the term I'm looking for here), who, in my opinion, not only makes some of the worst music ever--but in the process hid away a genuinely awesome voice. I want to hear her actually sing, not abuse a trend.

Katy Perry can't sing, and some people think it sounds nice. I can cope with that, but it sounds absolutely terrible to me.

Certain groups have certain target audiences, I do not think it's fair to call them "embarrassments" because that doesn't include you and because you dislike them.
I agree.

It is no surprise why these people are so popular, and that's because many people actually like them. Call it stupid, but just because you don't like an artist doesn't make them an embarrassment.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sure hacks are embarrassments. Hacks specifically market towards the lowers common denominators and that is in their mission statement. They are embarrassments because they make the whole industry look bad, except that the industry has looked pretty bad for two decades now. However, even then Kesha has made some of the worst shit I've ever heard.

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Those artists, Katy Perry and Cheryl Cole particularly, are only liked because they are played on the radio. Modern people lack taste and will accept whatever music is force-fed to their ears as the best, as if the media companies somehow want what's best for us. And why are they played on the radio?

This, in my opinion, is the underlying problem with today's music industry. Sex sells. KP and CC are incredibly beautiful women, who have never sang a note in tune. Record companies put millions and billions into these artists, who are utterly talentless in terms of music. I don't resent Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga. Both are talented individuals who, as far as I know, write their own music that simply isn't to my taste.

Most of the obsessed-over pop artists
Really? So if they aren't obsessed over they're fine? Or is it just all pop is bad, no matter if it's obsessed over?

Music is a form of art and entertainment, and no one can appeal to everyone. I don't like Bieber, Katy Perry, or whoever, but I do think they have talent, or good personnel around them doing the right things. If they make their fans happy, they're doing their job as an entertainer. I do have a bit of a problem with auto-tune, but in all reality, it's like using photoshop to make photography look better.

edit: nevermind thorns wins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)