Approved My MissingNo article from the Orange Islands subforum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was considering that maybe a smog article could be made out of this article that I posted last month in Orange Islands: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/missingno-explained-for-real.3533921/
It would be ready for the QC revisions already. I'm just not sure if it's allowed/advised to release the article in The Smog considering it's been already open to the public for anyone to read.

P.S.: This link to the Approval Guidelines in the The Smog Submission Guidelines thread is broken for me. No thread 3477058 seems to exist.

Seems like one of us deleted that thread a while ago while cleaning out the forum and updating things.

The article looks neat, but I'm not sure if it could be published unless you added more to it or changed it around somewhat. One of the requirements for article submissions is that content has to be "original", so it can be a problem if it's already been made available somewhere outside of the AW. I'll tag Jellicent, antemortem, and Toast++ as well for their stance on this.

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Typically we wouldn't use things that have already been made public, but for some reason I'm all for it. I guess I just find it interesting and I doubt it got the exposure it deserves as a simple OI thread. And in a way we do do this already with things like RMTs.

I'll wait for others to respond before we call it approved, though.

I had a kind of similar feeling, tbh. If this had more of a C&C vibe, I'd be all for transferring it from the forums to the site (similar to Borat's first guide). I feel like it might've gotten some added exposure from being in Crystal_'s sig, but that's probably just from seeing him in RoA.

The work is still original in the sense that Crystal_ wrote it. While it's on the forums, most Smog readers don't go there, and a lot of forum regulars don't hang around OI. It doesn't really seem like that extreme of an exception to the rule, either, since most threads aren't going to have a full article for an OP and even fewer would be of this quality. I'm supporting it~

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm a fan of it because there's no reason we shouldn't crosspromote some of Smogon's best content to the The Smog. If anything we should probably include top quality posts from around the forum every few issues to really bring attention to the other forums people barely see. So support.

I don't want to put pressure on you or anything if this goes against the policy of The Smog. I'll be fine with whatever the final veredict is. I agree that probably few people that reads The Smog actually saw the article in OI though, so if it's fine I'll go ahead. In that case I'll be making the thread this afternoon.

Crystal_, you should see a new subforum here now called Article Workshop. You can read up on the stickies to find out how stuff works. Probably don't need to say this, but we have a big rule against leaking content, so only discuss articles with other people there. You can also join us on #thesmog on IRC~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)