Walrus Myzozoa's Walrus and h8rs' Ball [Won by Yeti]

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

What is a 'Walrus'? This is a game where you submit songs according to each category and then I judge them, and you, and I give each song a score out of 10. I’ll announce beforehand the time I'll reveal each category, and then play them live on discord.

This one is just like the other games being hosted by RODAN Knight of Cydonia and Walrein only with a kinder and softer judge: me.

These other hosts have taken the time to review dozens of shitty submissions each game, including, according to them, a lot of my submissions.

Now it's my turn to judge their music, and we'll just see if they're brave enough to join this game after their polemic judgements against Bjork and St. Vincent songs.

Since this is a 'h8r's ball' im also inviting all the users i have or have had on ignore: so all xenu alts like saz chan are invited and so are: Old Greg thesecondbest GotR

the cong re-education corps is also invited and I would be thrilled with submissions from any of you, even if you dont want to submit to all the categories: Demoness dice Kitten Milk billymills vonFiedler TheValkyries jumpluff Aurora PDC atomicllamas

Aight thats enough of me to try to get ppl to join this:

Here are the categories:

1. “I Heard Love Is Blind” or

“heartbreak songs about genderqueer ex-lovers are really hard to find: PRONOUNS RUIN EVERYTHING"

For this one you need to find a love or heartbreak song with lyrics that do not gender the lover/person being spoken about/to or the person singing. Be creative. I have to note that, imo, strongly masculine or feminine names in the lyrics, is not the best look for this category, even if the lyrics dont gender anyone. “Valerie”, an example below, is a gender neutral name.

Examples:
("His" refers to God not an object of desire)

Any questions about this one, just ask.

2. "Re-constructing the Nature-Technology Opposition"

For this category you're invited to submit a song that is a duet between a single human non-auto-tuned femme-identified vocalist and a guitar of some sort, and no other parts that are too noticable. The human singer can also play the guitar. I will not cat fail if you have 2 guitars, or 2 singers, or some extra parts, but plz keep it as close 2 just these 2 parts as possible. If there are other parts I should hardly notice them.

examples:

Aight so now for the less difficult categories:

3. Hydra

Your submission must have strings and/or horns. ‘Horn’ i.e, not the rhythm section, vocals or stringed. A horn is a clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, french horn, flute, trombone, etc. Stringed: i.e, not the rhythm section, vocals or horns. so guitar is not gonna get it done here, a violin or cello would. rhythm section: percussion, guitar, bass. Vocals should be self explanatory.

Don’t f this one up plz.

Examples:

4. It’s A Live
You can submit anything, but it must be live, in concert.

examples:

5. Make You Cry

Submit a sad, sad, song.

Examples

6. Lute

The eponymous category comes from the user on MU known for enjoying morbid songs. Think gothic horror. You should be aware your host is fan of rom-goth.

Examples

7. Best of the Media Conspiracy, or "Now The New School's Old"
Submit a song that was in the U.S Billboard Year End Top 100 any year from 2001-2011.

Example:

8. Take Me Back On Another Track

Submit classical music. No opera.

example:

Other hosts will tell you that 'all music matters', or point to some ideal standard of 'in-tune' correctness, they may even accuse you of 'ear r---'.

I am skeptical of such magistrates of melody as this, if only because they also like Fleetwood mac and when was the last time Stevie Nicks finished a track without a flub?

Unlike these pretenders to musical taste I enjoy dissonance, weird vocal moves, bad mixes. I want your ugly.

So yah, if ur bold and thick-skinned, sign-up by posting in this thread and then hitting me with a vm of youtube videos of your submissions.

About the Walrustler:

Some of my most listened to artists are Lady gaga, Bjork, Pj Harvey, The Pixies, Amy Winehouse, The Breeders, The Clash, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Kanye West, Blondie, Lauren Hill, Patti Smith, M.I.A, the yeah yeah yeahs. It is not recommended that you choose songs by these artists, but you are free to do so. Do not submit paper planes, or gold digger, or gold lion.

I hate metal and country, in that order. I hate the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, and most other stupid shit ur baby boomer parents listen to. I do not like metal, once again. You are welcome to submit music from any genre.

You would do well to be bold, unconventional. I don’t much like pop music, folk music, ‘alternative’. If you want to be sure to score high on every track, make sure it has a beat. None of that weak shit. I don’t like ‘dead air’, songs that feel too quiet, like the artist forgot to finish the arrangement. I don’t know how to explain it other than that.

I look forward to your submissions.

The deadline for submissions is July 9th, 20 days from now.

1. Shubaka17
2. atomicllamas
3. soul fly
4. vonfiedler
5. Walrein
6. Rodan
7. Knights of CYdonia
8. Steven Snype
9. Da Latter L
10. Lightwolf
11. Yeti
12. eagle4
13. (mu)4maskwolf
14. pdc
15. texas
16. billymills

Last edited:

Myzozoa

Ok FAQ Time

I'm thinking of joining the walrus, but I'd like clarification on a few things:

1. For cat 1, it's simply that it doesn't define the subject of the lyrics' gender, right? It doesn't have to specifically point them out as not identifying by gender labels or smth like that?

2. And for cat 2, can you clarify what you mean by "femme-identified"? What if we can't find what they sexually identify as?

3. Also, for cat 5, what do you mean by "sad"? Upsetting? Depressing? Anything not happy?

4. Finally, for track 8, does it have to specifically be the original version of the classical music?
1. Yes.
2. No/riot-grrl definition.
3. i should get goosebumps and tears
4. no, it can be any classical music, from any time including the present.

Myzozoa

since this actually came up lol

somehow i forgot to mention that I listen to the yeah yeah yehs a lot. so dont submit GOLD LION or anything from that album

Myzozoa

ok so last chance to submit will be on the 9th, im about to send out final warnings of cat fails for the first two cats, and notices to anyone that has an incomplete submit. ill post again when that is done. best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)