New UU List (September 2010)

Despite the lack of shake up in OU (despite Heracross deciding to come to UU to pick on the little kids), UU had a lot more changes, increasing in size by 3 to 53 Pokemon!

First, let's start with those that have fallen to NU. Only Slowking, Regirock, and Poliwrath had the misfortune to fall out of UU. That's not saying you can't use them in UU, just that you can also use them in NU as well!

However, many Pokemon decided they wanted to leave NU and join the ranks of UU. Exeggutor, Kangaskhan, Primeape, Qwilfish, and Ursarang have all risen in usage to be no longer considered NU, and are once again UU.

Code:
Absol
Aggron
Alakazam
Altaria
Ambipom
Arcanine
Azumarill
Blastoise
Blaziken
Chansey
Claydol
Clefable
Cloyster
Donphan
Drapion
Dugtrio
Exeggutor
Feraligatr
Hariyama
Heracross
Hitmonlee
Hitmontop
Houndoom
Kabutops
Kangaskhan
Lanturn
Leafeon
Ludicolo
Mesprit
Milotic
Miltank
Mismagius
Moltres
Nidoking
Omastar
Primeape
Qwilfish
Registeel
Rhyperior
Rotom
Sceptile
Scyther
Slowbro
Spiritomb
Steelix
Swellow
Tangrowth
Torterra
Toxicroak
Ursaring
Uxie
Venusaur
Weezing

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So.. is Heracross UU? You say it is in your first sentence but it isn't on the list..

I expect that nidoking/queen will rise (weezing too ofcourse). The only attack that Heracross can use against them is Earthquake, but a choiced earthquake makes him set up fodder for many others.
The choice scarfer will be the most used set. CB set could be used to kill his counters for other fighters (Hitmonlee anyone?). Even the most defensive donphan is 2HKOd by an adamant CB Close combat (with jolly he has a great chance too, 48.6% - 57.3%).

I expect that nidoking/queen will rise (weezing too ofcourse). The only attack that Heracross can use against them is Earthquake, but a choiced earthquake makes him set up fodder for many others.
The choice scarfer will be the most used set. CB set could be used to kill his counters for other fighters (Hitmonlee anyone?). Even the most defensive donphan is 2HKOd by an adamant CB Close combat (with jolly he has a great chance too, 48.6% - 57.3%).
-Scarf Hera 2HKOs 4/0 Nidoking with Rocks + Spikes x 1. GL switching in.

-Band will do the same except it doesn't even need hazards.

-SD OHKOs after a boost.

-Flame Orb...well....198.7% - 234%

Finishing note: Nobody sensible will use EQ on Heracross.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Whoo is anyone else excited??

Me or reach will talk to Doug as soon as possible and the ladder and ratings will be reset and we'll be looking at our first shaken up round in a while!

We still never reached a distinct policy on quickboots but if it's quite clear that Hera is way too broken broken discussions will definitely pop up again. Don't be too quick to judge though since you never know!

Joy, Kangashakn was on my NU team.

Well, Regirock will be broken for sure, Base 200 Defence, enough so that No physical attack in the teir will OHKO without a crit, and Base 100 Sp.Def isn't exactly anything to scoff at either. Nor is Base 100 Attack with QuakeEdge, ad STAB on the Edge.

And Curse, just to beef up that Defence and Attack

I suspect Regirock will not last long in NU before going to the unofficial 'BL2'

Slowking was also considered Borderline. He was seen as needed to combat the broken fires, however, aside from Entei, who gained a new toy since Slowking moved back to UU, so is a null point, none of the 'broken' fires were voted to BL2. Not to mention Slowking isn't exactly frail physically.

NU had Mil-king, now it's got Rock-King, and I daresay, it's got all the walling potential of ScarmBliss, but isn't weak to mixed attackers, AND can hit back. No pokemon in NU can defeat both Slowking and Regirock [In the sand] without prior set-up.

Toxic? Regirock will carry Rest, and good NU Stall will probobly carry Vileplume, who can use Aromatheraphy, and absorb T-Spikes.

Fighting and Ground-type attacks? Regirock isn't OHKO'ed by even Banded Hitmonchan's Close Combat.

Grass type attacks? Not gonna topple Slowking before he Ice Beams you to death, or Regirock.

Electric and Bug type Attacks? Nope. Regirock shrugs them off.

Water to kill the Rock? Slowking says no.

Skuntank? Slowking isn't physically frail, and can survive, not to mention he can mess with Skuntank, with T-Wave crippling it.

I'll put my head in the sand from NU until one of those two leaves the teir.

I would actually guess that SD will be the most used set. Base 85 is a great speed in a metagame currently centered around 80/81, and scarf isn't really using it to full potential, since there are already things in UU that can do what Scarf Cross does (Primeape, Hitmonlee). Scarf Cross is only the most popular in OU because Lucario and Scizor out class it in other roles. Band is also really useful, but once again, Lee and Primeape can already do that job and have their own advantages. The most distinct set and the most flexible set is SD, so it seems fairly self-evident that it will be most popular. I suppose Toxicroak does SD also in UU, but the difference in attack and STAB Megahorn are enough to distinguish them while Megahorn isn't nearly as useful with a Scarf set and therefore does not serve to differentiate Heracross from Hitmonlee.

Hera coming down to UU has been long overdue IMO. It's nice to have a shaken, or changed metagame every now and then, just to stop the game getting stale...although with B&W around the corner...this could be a short term thing. Gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

I would actually guess that SD will be the most used set. Base 85 is a great speed in a metagame currently centered around 80/81, and scarf isn't really using it to full potential, since there are already things in UU that can do what Scarf Cross does (Primeape, Hitmonlee). Scarf Cross is only the most popular in OU because Lucario and Scizor out class it in other roles. Band is also really useful, but once again, Lee and Primeape can already do that job and have their own advantages. The most distinct set and the most flexible set is SD, so it seems fairly self-evident that it will be most popular. I suppose Toxicroak does SD also in UU, but the difference in attack and STAB Megahorn are enough to distinguish them while Megahorn isn't nearly as useful with a Scarf set and therefore does not serve to differentiate Heracross from Hitmonlee.
Don't forget about Guts abuse too! I can definitely see the SD+Flame Orb+Facade set being common.

Really the only thing I can see that can actually counter Hera in UU is Weezing, who with max HP and Defense investment, is still 2HKO'd by a Guts-boosted Facade after rocks, and OHKO'd if it gets a SD up. Dusclops maybe, if Heracross doesn't have Night Slash?

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With regard to the quick hook, I would find it hypocritical to give Heracross a quick hook when other Pokemon such as Cresselia and Yanmega didn't get the hook. Like it or not, Heracross will be UU for at least one full test period.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did you and Jabba just have a discussion between the hours both of you posted? From what he's saying, there's still a possibility Hera can get the boot before the test period is over. I think it's just as fair to put into consideration that it might be overwhelmingly broken as it is to consider the possibility that it might be a solid UU.

Primeape is UU? Man, all my teams are getting shaken up :/

Was one of the best Scarfers and revenge killers in NU =(

I'm excited to see what Heracross will do to UU. Does anyone know how long it would take to change the UU Tier banlist on Shoddy?

To be fair this is the most excited i have been in quite a while.
When the metagame gets totally shaken up like this we, the team builders, earn our stripes. New niche pokemon and sets become viable and you have a chance to be creative.
While i agree with the people who have said that it may not become broken, there is no doubt that it is going to dominate the teambuilding process moreso than any pokemon recently. That usually causes resentment which i believe will lead to its eventual banning anyway.
To people who are dismissing the ScarfCross, it has the advantage of defeating aerial ace dugtrio.
Personally i welcome Heracross. (before anyone mentions it, my previous post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)