Nickname discussion

Someone sent me a wondertrade of this guy:

And they named him Leo DePinchy (presumably short for Leonardo DePinchy).

Man, wondertrade has been sending some great stuff. Between this and Type: Gull the Wingull and Finn the human Bewear, I don't know which is my fave.
Way better than the multitudes of Yungoos nicknamed Vote 4 Trump or Donald Trump, etc.
Anyhow, here's some nicknames I like.

Vulpix line: Verity (no clue. It's a sweet name though)
Popplio line: Melody (well duh)
Latias: Amy (a sweet name for an adorable Pokemon)
Magearna: Alice (For unknown reasons, I've gotten really into Alice: Madness Returns, and there's a steampunk-ish dress that she wears at one stage of the game that connected her to Magearna, a robot Pokemon)
Tapu Fini: Nimue (after Lady of the Lake)

Also, nice names for shiny Aegislash? Excalibur seems too overused.

Way better than the multitudes of Yungoos nicknamed Vote 4 Trump or Donald Trump, etc.
Anyhow, here's some nicknames I like.

Vulpix line: Verity (no clue. It's a sweet name though)
Popplio line: Melody (well duh)
Latias: Amy (a sweet name for an adorable Pokemon)
Magearna: Alice (For unknown reasons, I've gotten really into Alice: Madness Returns, and there's a steampunk-ish dress that she wears at one stage of the game that connected her to Magearna, a robot Pokemon)
Tapu Fini: Nimue (after Lady of the Lake)

How about King Conan for Aegislash?

Look for other famous swords on Google. Especially in terms of gender given Aegislash is oddly gendered.

Say, I named mine "Tizona", after El Cid Campeador's sword as it's a female.

In one of my nuzlocke runs, I called my Fletchling "Birdemic". Unfortunately, it was swagplay'd by an Inkay before it could become a Talonflame.

I often nickname my Kartana "Kubo".

Alright, here are some of my Nicks

Le Broom (Breloom) Simply a Anagram of Breloom, also looks kinda funny
Joseon Hierarchy (Jirachi) Joseon plus Hierarchy= Jirachi. Suits my Username and well, if I use it, it is
expected to show it´s reign
Saigon (Flygon) Old Name of Ho Chi Minh City, Rhymes and, come on, Asia and Dragons etc.
Inescapable Fear (Gengar) A Soundtrack from Dragon Ball Super that rings in my Head if I see it.
Also, Mean Look, Shadow Tag etc.
ZZAZZ (Porygon2) Reference to the "ZZAZZ" Glitch in RBY, like an error of the System
Maro (Marowak) Marowak short and, at the same time, the name of a friend
Frieza (Mewtwo) The resemblance. And if this wasn´t enough, it´s not even in it´s final form.
To top that, it´s infamous for inflicting Freezes in RBY Ubers
Buu (Chansey) A harmless little Blob? You would think that, but just like Buu, there is more to it.
Do you like Eggs?
Ribery (Exeggutor) Looks like it is up for Pranks, just like Ribery. Stun Spore, Thief and Explosion
(Depending on the Gen you use it in) can all be used to play the oppenent, as if
it was dribbling.
Super Saiya Jynx (Jynx) Super Saiyan= Super Saiya Jin= Super Saiya Jynx. It is as simple as that.
Çelebi (Celebi) A Reference to a traveller actually called Çelebi. And just like him, Celebi
travels, through Time though.
Weavile (Rock You) Doesn´t need any further explanation.
Joseon Jolteon (Jolteon) Sounds Good. That´s it pretty much
Sweet Cune (Suicune) Suicune, add a T to it and with some fantasy, it´s called "Sweet Cune"

Salamence - Frodo Bagons

Any male Alola Ninetales - Foxy Grandpa

Pheromosa (in a love ball no less) - Madame Roche

Xurkitree - Einstein

Munchlax from Snorlium Z giveaway - Tito (male) and Brunhilde (female)

Pikachu - Spongebob

Mimikyu - Fantine, Mimichu, Doodlebob

Haunter - DOOMSAY

And a doubles pair nickname:
Blastoise - Mikey
Mega Charizard X - Angelo

On my Silver Nuzlocke I came across a Pidgey (I had to release my Cyndakill* and was using a garbage Sentret so this Pidgey is basically my saviour), and my thinking process was basically:
"Bird Jesus? Overdone and too easy."
"Toriyama...too obvious."
"Akira...no..."
"Akilla? That sounds awesome!"

And I started referring to him as Akilla the Gun, and as a present Pidgeotto I dub it the Akilla Cannon. I wonder what's next in the progression from a gun to a cannon, when/if it becomes a Pidgeot?

*which was an amazing name that I got from Team Four Star and I am so mad I had to release it. My starter was to be based on the last digit of my Trainer ID: 1-3 Chikorita, 4-6 Cyndaquil, 7-9 Totodile, and when I got 0...I had to release whatever I picked ASAP.

Last edited:
I have some more cool nicknames I'd like to share.

Mudd is the nickname of every Tyranitar I have. It might have something to do with his Rock and former Ground typing. It might just be that it sounds nice to me. It might just be that it's silly. Every Tyranitar is Mudd. Even in Pokemon Go

I like the name Vaporizer for Vaporeon. Half cause of that name coinciding with the smoking device and half cause it sounds sorta cool and tailored to Vapreon.

(The) Cremator is an obligatory Chandelure name. I also name Chandelure Blowtorch. I like both of them. The Cremator is a title, almost, given fittingly to a Pokemon that burns souls.

During Samurai Jack's return, and my appreciation for Aku as a villain, I named my Throh Extra Thick. Now that Jack is over- I still really like the name.

Jumpscare is a name I'm proud of on Gengar. Gengar's default artwork has it just sorta jumping out at you, and with that face- him jumping out at you would be effective at giving you a scare. I feel like it fits Gengar best, since, as you can tell by his face- he's not the most subtle form of scary Pokemon like Banette or Chandelure.

I bred a Serperior and named it Leaf Storm. Nothing much left to be said here.

I like "Knickknack" as a name on Sigilyph, cause that's exactly what he looks like.

Got a good nickname idea for shiny Yanmega? I'm thinking Sapphire cause it's blue, but I'm open to ideas.
Since it's shiny, it is definitely of much more prestige than any other old Yanmega. Also, it's the Ogre Darner Pokemon. I think "Ogrelord" would be a good name.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Here are some of my favorites that I haven't forgotten for the moment:

Nidoran lines (both genders): LawnMower
If you have enough rabbits, you would never need to mow the lawn again (although you would never want that many). I'm pretty sure Rhinoceros eat grass too but in much larger quantities.

(male) Gastly line: Hendrix
It makes the most sense as Gastly, but it still carried over nicely.

Articuno: 1997
A rather nasty ice storm settled in my hometown that year. I thought it was fitting.

Sableye: Stoneface
It doesn't take a genius to figure out this pun.

Spoink line: BxsprngHog
I am still a little upset this didn't fit, but I think it gets the message across. Its another obscure media reference.

Metagross: B.O.X.
Its a map altering boss in Metroid Fusion that I thought had four legs at the time. I think the nickname works still.

Registeel: Gort
It isn't as indestructible and not nearly as powerful as Gort from "The Day the Earth Stood Still", but it still gave me a strong Gort vibe when I first saw it.

Dialga: Flying type
Sometimes idioms lead to amazing nicknames.

Giratina: Q / ASACUSA
Q is a being who seemingly has free will over our experienceable reality, likes to be left alone, and likely understands a different reality that we do not experience. The last two points made the nickname work in my mind. ASACUSA is a more recent one, but it was the first project able to produce antihydrogen and any amount of observable antimatter I know of (without it instantly merging with matter and blowing stuff up). Giratina holds domain over antimatter, so I thought it was fitting.

Regigigas: Ozymandias
I'm just glad it fit within the character limit. "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!". Fortunately for Regigigas, it wasn't completely dead and rotting, but coming from a statue-like form and not being what it once was make the nickname fitting.

Snivy line: Hisstamine
Hayfever sucks, but it did lead to this nickname that I might like a little too much.

(male) Darmanitan: Clyde
Right turn Clyde!

Kyurem: FrznChkn / ColdFusion
It reminded me more of a turkey / chicken than a dragon the more I looked at it. Cold Fusion came about in B2W2, is a reference to StarCraft's Amerigo battle cinematic, and fit nicely with Kyurem's legend roll.

These are the most cringeworthy and kiddy nickanames I have ever seen, on the same level as DICKS and its derivatives. Only Codraroll's are interesting in the last dozen pages of this thread.

My RU team's nicknames:
Alice(Umbreon) One of my sister's RP characters has an Umbreon named this. A classy name for a classy 'mon
Mithril(Steelix) Mithril is a metal I have gotten killed by in many games. Now the tables turn. (:
The rest are borrowed.

My most interesting that i've used in-game:

Decidueye: Takumi (Ghost Archer) US(/S)
Golisopod: Ebirah (A giant lobster from 'Godzilla') US
A-Ninetales: Fairiceous (Fairy+Ice+Gorgeous, also sounds like Ferocious) S
Kommo-o: Tapu Sudo (It's a Pseudo-Legendary so its a weaker Tapu....yeah this one is more boring) S
Gogoat: GoatSimulatr (Stupid character limit!) X
Sharpedo: Akheilos (The god of sharp sharks, fits even more because of Rough Skin) AS
Reuniclus: Jelly (Its so squishy!) W
Typhlosion: Saffron (Its a kind of spice) SS
Luxray: Stardust (The tail on Shinx, Luxio and Luxray have a star shape at the end, also i thought it would be fitting) D

I had some good ones in my playthrough of Ultra Moon
Primarina: John (couldn't think of a fitting nickname for a male one, so I thought to just give it the most generic guy name out there)
Zoroark: Kumiho (a reference to the creature from Korean mythology, it's a nine-tailed fox like the kitsune)
Nihilego: Koishi (reference to the Touhou character Koishi Komeiji, both also happen to have some Freudian psychology references related to them and Nihilego just reminds me a lot of her in general)
Xurkitree: ELO (reference to the band Electric Light Orchestra, only really done because it's a giant electric light cable thing)

Two of my Pokémon in my current Ultra Sun Playthrough are in-game trades (Cha the Hawlucha and Arbo the Arbok). After I couldn’t think of other good nicknames I decided to name my Brionne and Dusk Lycanroc with similar conventions.

So my male Brionne is Primo for when it evolves

And my female Lycanroc is named Roxana - I actually had to go to a baby names website for this one and since Roxanne is already a gym leader this works well. Also apparently it’s the name of Alexander the Great’s wife.

Lastly when I got the Totem-sized Gumshoos I wanted to name it after a detective. I actually think a detective Pokémon concept is kinda cool and it’s unfortunate that it was released when it was with all the Trump implications. So my female Gumshoos is Miss Marple.

Alright, got a few more. Most of em are pretty immature or silly

Female Decidueye
Hooter, goes without explanation

Kommo-o
Jinglejangle, which I was pretty proud of till I was informed it's a common klefki name

Golisopod
Ya Bug, cause it's ya bug

Naganadel
Purplenurple

Ferrothorn
Fluffy

Female Dream Ball Gyarados
Sweetheart

Blaziken
Supercock

Slaking
Harambe Kong, complete fave of mine

Altaria
Supercell

Roserade
Pom Poms

Kyurem
Rex, silly but simple

I named my Adamant Defiant Bisharp Alarak, with Pawniard and Bisharp's brutality reminding me of the Tal'darim from StarCraft II. And, well, Alarak was one of my favorite characters introduced in the Legacy of the Void campaign, so of course I wanted to name something after him.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pretty long ago but nicknames for Pokes I remember are:

Salamence
Spyro

Zangoose
Hunter

Weavile
Ninja

Togekiss
Boeing 747

Blaziken
KFC

Shiny Dragonite
Yoshi

Here are some of my recent ones:

shiny female Kommo-o - Indominus
shiny female Doublade - Red Sonja
shiny female A-Raticate - Clafoutis (a french dessert)
female Garchomp - Cretoxyrhina (a prehistoric shark)
Golisopod - Pterygotus (a prehistoric sea scorpion)
female Shiinotic - Lullaby
shiny female Oricorio - Lambada
Salazzle - Clever Girl
shiny Salazzle - The Big One

Last edited:
My naming has been... not very creative, keeping at the species name. My Ultra Sun example:

Raiya, Raichuu.
Yukino, Froslass / Yukimenoko
Minami, Lopunny / Mimilop

Rosalind, Roserade. Although also somewhat named after Suikoden V's Lord Godwin's wife whose death made him the cynical villain.
Lyon, Dusk Lycanroc. Also named after someone from Suikoden V, The Prince's bodyguard who would wield the Twilight Rune. I also happened to had her use Mother Earth Rune so having her as a rock wolf particularly Dusk one could work, although minus the cuteness....

Symphonia, Primarina, is the only exception as of now since I'm comfortable enough with them like I did Delphox (Vixenia). She came after my Moon's male Primarina Aquarius.
I'll want to try other musical names though.

I'm also going to name Kartana after well, katana, real life treasures or other games' weapons. First one up is Masamune.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)