Nostalgia Thread

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Feel free to talk about anything that makes you feel nostalgic here, whether that be music, videos, games, experiences, or whatever else. Consider this a 100% judgement-free, chilled-out zone.

I might post about more stuff later if I can think of anything, but I’m gonna start this thread off with some of my nostalgia music.

This song has an extremely special place in my heart due to my childhood; whenever I listen to it, all I can think of is my fond memories of playing EyeToy: Groove with my sister and my best friend when I was 7 or 8 and playing the game to this song over and over again; I love that game with all my heart, and it is a memory that I really cherish because ever since then me and my sister have just kinda drifted apart (and the same with that friend to a greater extent) and it just reminds me of one of the last times I think I was a genuinely happy person before kinda spiralling due to the stress of the social situations forced onto me by school and how I just never really fitted in.

When I was about 6 or 7 years old, my dad gave me an MP3 player (one of those old ones w/ three buttons and no display on it) that had around 50 pieces of music (including pop, rock, classical, opera and a number of other things) saved to it. I didn’t know the names of any of the songs that were on there at the time, but the two pieces of music that I vividly remember listening to are this recording of Merry Chrismas Mr. Lawrence (which I refound around three months ago after listening to a load of Ryuichi Sakamoto’s various recordings of the piece) and Faithless - Insomnia; this one in particular really captivated me, and I still am captivated over ten years later. There’s something about the melancholic piano and cello that just pulls me into it and really resonates with me, and it evidently resonated with me as a kid too.

Gonna go even further back with this one. When I was in reception at infant school, they had a cassette player that they brought out into the playground at break and lunch time and a member of staff would be in the corner with a group of children dancing, and this was one of the pieces of music that was on there. I’d always rush over when this started playing and would jump around like a frog on a spring, and even now it is still extremely catchy and fun to listen to.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader

Some of my favorite cartoons when I was a young kid. My sister and I used to sneak out of bed late at night after our parents went to bed in order to watch Gargoyles and Inspector Gadget, hoping that we wouldn't get caught in the process. Darkwing Duck aired early enough in the night for us to watch prior to bed, much to my dad's dismay. Ironically, Darkwing Duck actually helped me out a few years ago during my 2nd semester of college. My English professor was infamous among the student body for being extremely stern, but it came up during a lecture that she was a huge fan of the series. It was a good opportunity to nerd out, and it went a long way in helping us to get to know each other.

Though looking back at it, Gargoyles was surprisingly gritty for a kid's cartoon. I guess it's a good thing it aired during the 90s; the show wouldn't fly in this day and age.

The first video game that I technically played was NES Duck Hunt. But Spyro (along with Pokemon Red) was the first video game that I truly played on my own w/o any help from my siblings. Completing the game felt like the biggest achievement that I accomplished back then. Even today I still get a kick out of making a new save and just exploring every nook and cranny of the worlds among the first three games. It's a shame the series quickly went to shit after it left the PSX era.

I was also surprised to recently learn that Stewart Copeland (the former drummer for The Police) made the OST for the game. which is neat.

My parents hated, and still hate this game with a passion (I got it for Christmas as a Santa present; they knew what they were getting into), but as my first "mature" game, Twisted Metal was a lot of fun. The fast-paced battles led to a lot of hilarity between me and my friends during the days when they used to come over after school. Plus the story co-op was how I ended up bonding with my eventual brother in-law. The environmental easter eggs, which I can't list here without ending up on the FBI watch-list nowadays, were also neat touches. The colossal size of the final boss in this game was also one of my biggest "oh shit!" moments in gaming.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've got to start with this one, everytime I hear this soundtrack it really gives me good memory, not to mention it makes me feel so nostalgic I often drop a few tears. This theme is so peaceful and so smooth, I could even fall asleep while listening to this. Gen 2 is by far my favorite generation, and it had many great soundtracks and left many good memories in my mind.

I really loved this game and I've played it numerous times. It kind of reminds me when I used to play the older Spyro games back when I was a kid, those were great times. This is one of the themes that I like the most, it may not have the best sound quality or soundbank but it's still relaxing to listen to it. If anyone here is a fan of Spyro game and has not played this yet, I highly recommend it.

Starfox fans reunite! I really can't stop loving this theme because of how epic it is, it made you feel you were fighting against a real boss, and just listening to this makes me remember those days when I used to see my older brother playing the game everyday trying to beat his previous score. Starfox 64 is a great game and I'm sure many people will love this theme.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Even though I only finished the game last year the Hyper Light Drifter soundtrack, especially Panacea, holds a special place in my heart as being almost cliche in how much it helped me with a bout of hypochondria last fall. It's literally a giant metaphor for terminal illness and it made me realize just how stupid my over imaginative brain was being (Headache != Brain Tumor).

Every single year my family takes a road trip from Wisconsin to Maryland to see my mother's side of the family and generally eat a lot of crabs. We've been doing this for almost 15 years now (in total time I've easily spent more than a year there), and every single the About a Boy soundtrack has been playing during it, imprinting itself into 3-year-old me's brain as the songs that play when we get close to Maryland, the place where all of my best memories are. 9 years old, going out to the pier with my cousin to fish for an hour or 2 and never catching a thing, but that wasn't stopping us, each day, for a month.

The days in middle school when I'd face my friends in Pokemon and Golden Sun on our GBAs lol, miss those innocent days

In the year 2000, one of the best megaman games released for the PS1, Megaman X5, I think it has to be a contender for the best opening theme lol

Captain tsubasa would always take me back to the days of my childhood, were I recall I assembled a team of 11 random filler characters (including myself) and we all faced a semi pro youth football team and got battered 9-1...

Alpha

Banned deucer.
As my friend Flareon Blitz posted above, I can relate to GSC soundtracks as well.

Let's start with this amazing ost in GSC. When I was a kid it was a surprise finding out your game didn't finish with Johto region, but you had to explore Kanto as well.
Well, I was speechless the first time I've listened to Gym Leader's battle theme. I wasn't a huge fan of Johto Gym Leader's theme, and finding this out was amazing. Sometimes I listen to it when I want to live again my childhood, also because I've lost my Silver cartridge (sigh ç_ç) and so this is the theme that brings back memories.

Aah, Muse. I remember this one being the first song I've heard by them. I was a kid (like 9 years old) and my sister used to listen to that with me when watching (or better, listening) MTV. I've great memories about this song, also because my sister decided to play that on her wedding and to "dance" it (I'm literally a piece of wood when dancing but yeah) with me, as it was our favourite song.

Omg, who has unleashed the best song of 2013???
It may be stupid, but me and my best friend used to listen to that every day when we were at middle school.
Now we are 20, and when we listen to it we can't stop laughing thinking about us singing/dancing it.

Namion

formerly Scrubchoo

Hold on,holy ghost.

In all seriousness, I love this song. Heard it in a ton of anime Fight scenes back in 2013-2014 and I grew to love the band.

Cerberax

Dancing through life
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There are a lot of games and songs that leap to mind, but one of the most nostalgia-inducing games for me is Sonic Adventure 2. I remember raising Chao (at first I didn't really understand what I was doing so I just fed them a bunch of fruit and not much else so they had WAY too much stamina :P), eventually learning how to properly do the levels and actually be better at them when I got a bit older, then going back and just picking the game back up and playing through it again every so often. I love the soundtrack, I love the story, and the game brings back a lot of really fun memories for me. Still haven't gotten all As with every character though D:

And of course, we have Live and Learn :)

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion

martin mystery was even my irc nick for like a month back in 2011 when i rewatched the series

oh and there was this weird incest subplot going on between diana and martin i swear to god

Raidx

Banned deucer.
As someone who LOVES video game music, a lot old games I played as a kid give me nostalgia from the music only. The menu theme from Melee is just unforgettable and brings back so many memories of when I played that as a kid. Big Blue from F-Zero is also super nostalgic to me with that intense but unique melody.

That was a wonderful Sci-Fi series; if you don't know that, I suggest you to see it even if it's most different to actual Sci-Fi series.
I suggest to see also the previous Andersson one, U.F.O. ;)

PS: Martin , Forbidden Color by Sylvian/Ryuichi Sakamoto is a piece of music unforgettable, to hear time after time.

Time to torture you with some 2007 music

-30 Seconds To Mars- The Kill (Bury ME)
-The Killers - Mr.Brightside
-My Chemical Romance - Welcome To The Black Parade (May Trigger people born in the mid-late 90's)
-Any Initial D Soundtrack song
-HOME-Resonace
-Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Necroing bc I found this on YT and it’s peak nostalgia for me. We owned a VHS of The Sooty Show that me, my mum, and my sister must’ve watched this episode at least 50 times (probably more) when I was little. I remember being ill and lying on our old sofa bed watching it with chicken pox. Watching it again as an adult makes me appreciate just how good the script is.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

This is the most nostalgic game to me. I used to play it a ton even before getting into Pokemon back in 2010.

Here's a playlist filled with other themes this game plays:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXRkwGvXTai646V_9VOHO3jrtwTkUxjwi

I was really into Sonic before getting into Pokemon, so I've also managed to enjoy Sonic Unleashed a ton during those days. I remember particularly liking the Spagonia (Day) map more than any other in the game. This was its theme.

This was also incredibly nostalgic to me because I've died at least a couple hundred tries while playing this game. It was like Dark Souls for 10 year olds ok. Night levels were not easy. The game in general was not easy. Ask most players of this game!

All the other stuff below I played after getting into Pokemon but were still very nostalgic.

Two words - FINGER MASHING. IF YOU EVER WANTED TO WORK OUT THOSE FINGERS I RECOMMEND REACHING THE END OF ZONE 7 IN SONIC RUSH.

Final act final zone of Sonic Advanced 3. This was a really fun level. You had to ride on a floating platform the entire time and dodge stuff.

Another epic theme in a level out of nowhere.

Final boss theme against the crazy wizard queen of the underworld. Yes; you read that right.

In summary, Sonic The Hedgehog probably has one of the best soundtracks of any video game series. While it is notorious for having such polarizing games it's also notorious for having a phenomenal soundtrack. Especially in some of their least favored games. Sonic The Hedgehog was a large part of my childhood memory that I find unforgettable or hard to forget and I commend SEGA for this.

Kiwi

free فلسطين
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
There are quite a few games are nostalgic for me. For one there is Pokemon Black being pretty much the first game I had ever completed and so bringing me not pokemon. There were also many games which I watched others like my brother play in my childhood that I never played myself, making them really nostalgic for me because they were kind of like a bonding experience. Such games would include Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy (first and second) and finally Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. I also recall playing Smash Bros Brawl story mode with my brother ages ago which thinking back is now highly nostalgic for me. (Yes I am a Nintendo baby)
1603699197422.png
1603699375016.png
1603699425508.png
1603699503971.png
1603699557885.png

And then there are so many television shows that I remember from so long ago, that just make me feel old. Some of them include Blues Clues, Giggle and hoot and Bear in the big blue house. The fact that they get changed so much, the original people leave, the fact that things get cancelled is so nostalgic. And then what makes me feel really old is The Wiggles... now that they are all new people and I look back on their old group, show and songs, it just feels weird to look back on the fact its changed so much.

And then there are nostalgic songs for me- they usually root from games I have played such as;
Black and white 2 was my favourite game ever so- and then this;
Yeah... I may memorised this song from my childhood. Pretty much one of the most nostalgic things for me considering I rarely hear it and when I do it just brings out the nostalgia. In summary, I have a cringe set of things from my childhood these things are nostalgic for me mainly from just childhood memories.

Attachments

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Man, it feels weird seeing BW2 accrue nostalgia in people. I still remember getting it on release from GAME like it was yesterday...
1603708150355.png

Wait, what? Already?

Anyway...I'm shamelessly attached to RBY and GSC, and I don't think that will ever change. I was essentially a 90s kid bought up in the 2000s, with quite a poor family due to some issues. I ended up having a Game Boy Color and a small pile of games that I made do with, rather than getting the new-fangled GBA and Pokemon Emerald. And hey, a lot of people still had their GBs because of costs and how new consoles were still seen as a poor practice at the time. Remember the SNES-NES controversy? Yeah, it still hadn't gone away, and the lack of cross-generational compatibility with Gen 2 -> Gen 3 was also controversial in addition to this. So really, it kind of worked out for me. Due to all that though, I ended up playing a lot of Pre-Gen 3 content, even well after everyone moved on. Hell, I even had (and still have!) got the old VHSes, DVDs and stuff, and even give em a rewatch every so often.

I've seen newer fans of various franchises often scorn those who are nostalgic for old content. I can understand why, there's often rifts between new and old fans for various reasons. Some stem from elitism, others are simple debates that devolve into shitslinging arguments. Some people are even wronged and it promotes a victim complex, thus contributing to those attitudes. It's unfortunate, both parties have their own thing and enjoy it, but end up having tempers flare over very minor things. I would say I wish it'd stop, but it appears to be part and parcel with larger franchises.

This ending is absolutely beautiful. The diffusion on TV channels stopped when I was literraly 3 so I couldn't watch it on TV. However, my mom bought me the DVDs back into 2012-2013. I was super excited because I used to be a huge Sonic fan, and I was really curious to see a Sonic-based on serie, even more in a realistic world. It was the non censured version and when I learn that France was the only country to get the it, I was quite disappointed.

Not sure who else has played this game, but it's a fun time and highly recommend. Was thinking about it recently, and only later found out the people who made it went to become Rockstar Games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)