Metagame NP: SM RU Stage 0 (Beta): Green Light (Talonflame Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
ChrystalFalchion i have some experience with qwilfish in this meta, and this spread/set is rather inefficient. running enough speed for jolly scrafty in a meta where the mon is very rarely used is a complete waste of bulk. you only really need enough speed for glig/fast chesnaught to successfully set spikes, keep them, and check fighters. a set with scald and pain split is also much better imo. it helps offensive teams (what fish should be used on) vs doublade and gligar respectively. with doublade it threatens it with a burn, stops it from boosting, and can damage it further when at low hps with pain split. With gligar it essentially does the same thing except it stops it from defogging instead of boosting. with the nerf, and with this meta specifically, thunder wave is not good enough to warrant using watefall/twave over scald/pain split. you mention espeon, which is more of an annoyance vs scald fish, but espeon can just click morning sun (if it has it) and be right back at 100 while you are forced to switch out. the best way to get rid or espy is by trapping it with escav, drapion, or even hera.
I'd like to add that Rocky Helmet is often a better item on Qwil than lefties, especially since it's usually not a pokemon that lasts around too long and wants to dish out as much residual as it can before dying. Really helps out with getting extra chip on annoying pokemon for offense like Doublade, Escavelier, and Scarf Heracross.

I`d like to share my experience with some mons I`ve been using recently.

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

Espeon is actually incredible. It`s so hard to switch into with the lack of steel types in the tier. And even some of the steel types can`t beat it because of it`s coverage moves. Dazzling gleam is for darks, hp fire for Escavalier and Durant and shadow ball for Bronzong, Doublade and bulky Psychics. Espeon also pairs well with spikes, like the Chestnaught set some people mentioned. Espeon also provides some nice utility as a hazard remover for offence teams. I think the best way to deal with Espeon is probably pursuit, so things like Sneasel and Drapion are good. You could also use trick over on of the coverage moves to cripple some defensive pokemon and you can also use Psyshock over Phychic.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Substitute

This is an interesting Goodra set I used on a team. The purpose of it is to set up subs against passive pokemon like Mantine and proceed to toxic. The set itself it pretty self-explanatory. Flamethrower for steels, speed for max speed p2 and Jellicent. There might be a more optimal spread but this is the one I used so I can`t comment on that. This set worked ok vs teams that relied on mantine a lot, since this gets free subs vs it. Overall this set is ok, but not really something I`d use that often in this metagame over some other Goodra sets. I can`t really think of other options other than maybe draco over pulse but I think I like pulse more because it provides consistently decent damage, not like that is the focus of this set anyway.

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Roost

So I know that Noivern is kind of outclassed in this meta by Swellow, but I think it has some unique qualities that makes it worth using sometimes. First off, Noivern is a dragon type, so of course that provides another stab which is useful. Flamethrower is a nice coverage move that deals with steels Noivern struggles with otherwise. I think that Noivern`s biggest advantage is that it isn`t as forced to run specs like Swellow because it has more special attack. The set above, LO 3Atks is in my opinion not completely outclassed by Swellow. I already mentioned dragon stab, but dragon also provides some very useful resists for Noivern that Swellow lacks. Also, while not that big of a deal, Noivern actually has a nice matchup vs webs teams as they like to prepare for swellow instead of Noivern. For example, the webs sample team has no flying resists outside of Doublade, which gets 2hit OHKOed by Flamethrower.
So overall while Noivern is not great, I don`t think it is as bad as some people say.

Samurott @ Waterium Z
Ability: Shell Armor
Modest/Jolly Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]/Grass Knot
- Rain Dance

So this is a Samurott set I randomly came up with while trying to experiment with some less used mons. Let`s just say that it was pretty lackluster. The point of the set is to have a Z-move for defensive and offence teams. The problem is that Samurott struggles to setup vs Offence teams and it is too weak to break defensive teams. The nature is a problem too. Without Jolly you can`t outspeed Swellow,Noivern and Ribombee and without modest you can`t 2hit OHKO Mantine with HP Electric. I think Grass knot is better for Jolly as it provides a nice coverage move for Waters. So yeah Samurott is pretty bad, at least with this set. Also i`m bad at innovating :(

Flygon @ Steelium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Dance

Just want to quickly mention this Flygon set I made. It`s basically just a lure for Florges. I woudn`t say that this is great, but it does work as a Florges lure. This pairs well with something like scarf Heracross which struggles with Florges a lot. And of course this set still has some of the good qualities of normal Flygon sets. Also I´ve been thinking of using Electrium Z with Tpunch for bulky waters but I can`t really sat if thats any good at all until I`ve used it. I`ll edit this post when I get around to using it.

Specs Espeon is pretty standard, and it is a solid set. I'm not a fan personally, but it is a good fast wallbreaker. I'd run Trick instead of Shadow Ball personally, but that's just me.

That Goodra set could be good, but running that much Speed is a waste. Jellicent and Mantine rarely run max Speed as they much prefer the extra bulk. 44 EVs should get you by - that lets you outrun uninvested Gligar. As that set doesn't focus on power, I think a spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe with a Bold nature will let Goodra take hits better. If you still want to hit hard, you could run 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe with a Modest Nature.

Flygon @ Steelium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Dance

Just want to quickly mention this Flygon set I made. It`s basically just a lure for Florges. I woudn`t say that this is great, but it does work as a Florges lure. This pairs well with something like scarf Heracross which struggles with Florges a lot. And of course this set still has some of the good qualities of normal Flygon sets. Also I´ve been thinking of using Electrium Z with Tpunch for bulky waters but I can`t really sat if thats any good at all until I`ve used it. I`ll edit this post when I get around to using it.
I'm sorry dude but this set is just plain bad... if you want to lure Florges, why not just going with LO Iron Tail? That's enough for Flygon to get a 2HKO at +0 and OHKOing it at +1 after rocks (37,5% chance without rocks), that would be enough to deal with other fairies in general without using your Z move...

Then, if you still want to use your Z move on Flygon, wynaut Tectonic Rage? +1 Tectonic Rage can also do the same job against Florges (62,5 % chance of OHKOing it without rocks) and deal with a lot of other threats, while also giving you a moveslot for something like Fire Punch to nail Bronzong, Durant and Escavalier...

Tectonic Rage can also be spent on a few of those disgusting bulky waters like Jelli (>80% chance of OHKOing after rocks the 248/+212 spread at +1) and Vapo (50% chance of OHKOing after rocks the 204/+248 spread). Sorry if those spreads are not exactly the best RN (I think bulky waters are now trying to speed creep uninvested Gligar which is even better for Flygon) but I'm more of a hyper offense player xD

See ya guys!
Edit: Oh, and Continental Crush is also a decent option to deal massive damage to Mantine, while having Edge Quake Coverage and still deal pretty decent Damage to Jelli and Vapo. I would even drop Outrage for Edge, since Earthquake will be a pretty reliable STAB against a lot of threats and anything that resist it will be smacked heavily by Fire Punch or Stone Edge anyways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)