Project NU Archetype Cores: Discuss Your Experiences! (HIATUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

And the winner is dfmetal! Thanks to everyone who submitted this week: I hope this has demonstrated some of the ways that Dragon-types can be used effectively in NU. The theme this week will be a little more standard: it's time for another round of your standard
cores! Obviously the metagame has changed a bit since the last time this theme came up, so give it your best shot!

The submission deadline is Friday 8th July at 18:00GMT (ish). Go nuts!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Posting while I still have a chance before it gets banned:

Combusken @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp / Focus Blast / Low Kick
- Baton Pass

Samurott @ Sea Incense
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Waterfall

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
As a very aggressive player, I enjoy using very aggressive, high-risk-high-reward cores, but this one just takes the cake by removing an element of that "high risk". ChickenPass, along with NinjaPass, is pretty dumb. It is easy to get set up, and it is insane to try dealing with. While kinda matchup-dependent, it is monstrous and is usually able to outplay it's bad matchups with smart threat management. This is a core which is good for more agressive variants of the build, although really the focus is on Combusken+Samurott more than it is on Combusken+Shiftry. Basically, Combusken sets up boosts as well as a potential sub and passes it to one of Samurott or Shiftry, who then set up an SD and proceed to wreak havoc with their high power and patched-up speed stats. What pakes these two in particular so threatening is their access to priority, which allows them to beat down anything which comes in attempting to RK them with priority as well as allowing them to function should they be unable to secure a boost from Combusken.

Pyroar can give this core a headache if Wisp is used over Focus Blast or Low Kick due to Hyper Voice's ability to hit through sub, although generally speaking Samurott should be able to take one hit from it and retalliate back with a high-speed Waterfall or an Aqua Jet, and in some respects this works in the BP player's favor because if an attack isn't hitting a sub it's not breaking it either. If you want to you can run more bulk on Samurott to make it easier to set up, but I personally like a faster spread to make it a little less reliant on Speed Boost to put a dent into the opponent's team.

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor

Charizard
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 220 HP / 168 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Clear Smog

Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Sucker Punch
- Defog

Pretty fun and balanced core based around sd wisp zard. Gastrodon is a very nice partner to zard, being able to check pretty much all zard's weakness being rock,electric and water types. Also zard helps gastro out against anoying grass types that dont run rock coverage like vileplume, lilligant and gourgeist. Next Shiftry finishes this core pretty nice, since it likes zard being able to take fighting types attacks and also loves the fact that sd zard+clear smog gastro can check pretty well mega audino and skuntank. Shiftry also provides defog which zard loves since its able to clear rocks off the field and also can remove toxic spikes that are also anoying. The gastrodon spread can be changed to max defense and max hp to counter tauros and archeops but you can always use another mon to check those mons.

KingSwordYT

Mr. Superior thinking
is a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Barbaracle @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Return
- Earthquake

Charizard @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Grass/EQ
- Roost

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Sucker Punch
- Spikes
Well, i´ve selected this Core, because, it´s a pretty fun core to play with, and works effectively. An offense core, with Cacturne as a nice Mixed/Physical Wallbreaker, with access to Spikes stack, and STAB boosted Priority move (Sucker Punch), also a passive recovery with giga drain, and Dark Pulse STAB. It also can be used with the SD Set, but with the amount of physical walls that are very popular in the tier rn, i found it more useful using it mixed.

Charizard is an effective check to fighting spam, and ground inmunitie, also does lots of damage with its stat boosted moves, and have access to Recovery with Roost. Also it can be used with EQ over HP Grass, having Cacturne as a Partner, that wins against the likes of Gastrodon and Lanturn, also focus Blast could be used, but with my luck better not.

At last, but no least, If barbaracle can setup, it becomes a High threat for the opposing Team. After the Shell smash, this mon can sweep entire opposing teams, and it has The Zard and Cacturne help, to take Walls out, this mon can be the worst nightmare of the opponent. Also Substitute could be used, to avoid the status users, as weezing.

Last edited:

Specs Eggy is honestly a great wallbreaker as it hits a blistering high special attack and can fire off leaf storms + psyshocks. it can hit steel types with hp fire but sometimes isn't that reliable. i then added a physically orientated lo zard with earthquake to help deal with skuntank a bit better which can be annoying as it can pursuit trap eggy, it also deals with steels really well due to access to flare blitz. however, recoil is pretty annoying but it does get roost to remedy this. since i was going to be running charizard i needed a spinner and decided to add scarf kabutops. scarf kabutops is a decent revenge killer and can beat what this core struggles against (Fast fire types such as pyroar) thanks to stone edge + waterfall. the core works as eggy breaks ground/poisons/fighting/rock types where as zard can also deal with some special walls and deal with stuff such as steels/skuntank and kabutops compliments by removing rocks for zard and able to deal with bulkier flying types which eggy can struggle against. not to mention zard also absorbs any will-o aimed at kabutops.

egg tree (Exeggutor) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Charizard @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics / Swords Dance/

Kabutops @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Superpower

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Charizard @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin

Shiftry @ Life Orb / Black Glasses
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
This actually comes from a workshop I recently hosted based around Special Charizard. Basically Special Charizard can overwhelm common Fire-type checks such as Thick Fat Hariyama. Kabutops is there for a powerful physical attacking prescence and hazard control for Zard. Lastly, Shiftry rounded out this core by becoming a win condition with Swords Dance that appreciates Charizard's wallbreaking capabilities . It also served as the main answer to Water-types as common ones such as Lanturn could rip Charizard and Kabutops apart.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Overheat

Samurott @ Wave Incense
Ability: Torrent
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn

Here's a classic take on a kind of FWG core you would use on balance teams. Evio Roselia is a niche choice but water resist + spikes is fucking sick for being able to wear down switch-ins for the other two members of my core. You could dump sludge bomb for t-spikes as well but not being to touch xatu is really lame and not worth it in most cases. Specs Pyroar is a monster and is amazing at wearing down bulky waters for SD rott. Even dedicated special tanks like mantine drop to 2 hyper voices after rocks. Overheat in the last slot is nice for spamming early game to rack up a ton of extra damage, just don't put yourself in a position to be set up fodder. Finally, Samurott rounds out the FWG core and gives us a strong physical attacker and late game win con with Swords Dance. Jolly is the better choice of nature imo since a ton of things creep adamant rott already, making it possible for the extra speed to catch opponents off guard. Spikes also help make up for loss of immediate power.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
and

Congrats to nv and Shadowtags who both tied for the victory! You all know how good FWG cores are so I'll cut the crap. Theme this week is
spam! With Sawk and Gurdurr having left the tier, people generally don't run as many super sturdy Fighting-checks (they're too busy checking Tauros now). Exploit this with a super wide pool of like five viable mons!

Deadline for submissions is Friday 15th July at 18:00GMT (this is a very loose promise by this stage). Three-mon cores please.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Hitmonchan @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Mach Punch

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Scarf Primeape is really fun to use imo. Outspeeds stuff it normally can't like Scyther and Zard and then proceeds to KO them with Stone Edge. It even outspeeds Vivillon at +1! Banded Chan is a cool alternative set. Steelix deals with Flying, Fairy and Psychic types

this is a pretty fun set featuring belly drum yama and specs poliwrath. there honestly isn't much explaining to do but yeah. belly drum yama can honestly break teams at +6 and it's nuisance to deal with as it gets priority bp. it can also absorb status due to guts and hit even harder. yama struggles against fire types as they resist bp and are usually faster (it can deal with steel types) so i added specs poliwrath. it can 2hko/ohko majority of fire types with a specs boosted scald and it also provides us a water resist which is nice. i finally added av lanturn to give me a better matchups against waters+electrics and its also volt switch into yama scaring things out and it can easily proceed to set up a bdrum.

Hariyama @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Guts
EVs: 128 Def / 128 SpD / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat

Poliwrath @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 144 SpD / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Fire / Grass

Last edited by a moderator:

erisia

Innovative new design!
Nice core Sanjay. (Poliwrath looks like it's performing Hamlet) but why are you running max HP on Yama? 124 Def / 124 SpD is much more efficient due to Yama's super low uninvested defenses. Also is max Speed Adamant (or even Jolly) an option on that set considering that practically anything you outspeed dies to Close Combat or Knock Off?

Nice core Sanjay. (Poliwrath looks like it's performing Hamlet) but why are you running max HP on Yama? 124 Def / 124 SpD is much more efficient due to Yama's super low uninvested defenses. Also is max Speed Adamant (or even Jolly) an option on that set considering that practically anything you outspeed dies to Close Combat or Knock Off?
Uh yeah my EVs were a bit stupid wanted to increase its overall bulk but yeah, what you said makes a lot more sense am not really the best when it comes to the spreads. fixed the spread to 124 def / 124 spd / 252atk.

Jisoo

two slow dancers last ones out
is a Pre-Contributoris a defending SPL Champion

This is a cute little core that I came up with. The basis is Spike setter Ferroseed setting up the Spikes, then throh coming in to shuffle shit up with Spikes damage, then Band Primeape coming in afterwards and cleaning up. I chose Ferroseed over the other spike setters is because its the only one that resists Psychic (besides kekturne and thats weak to flying)

Throh (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Rest

Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Vital Spirit
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Enjoy :p

http://puu.sh/q1tSW/386930aca4.txt

combusken is a pretty cool mon to use as it can get really deadly thanks to speed boost + 3 attacks, paired with poliwrath that takes water-type moves, these 2 can hurt a lot of things. adding rotom-f gives you more bulk and an answer to flying-type mons. make sure to get hazard removal in the remaining slots and you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)