NU Player of the Week - Jarii [week 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarii
Favorite Pokémon:
Mimikyu
Most used Pokémon: Emboar
Most known for: my amazing SPL record (0-4)
Earth: Hey, Jarii. What’s up?
Jarii: Hey, earth. Doing well have finally a weekend for myself which is great! How're you?

Earth: I'm doing well too, thanks for asking! Anyway... You have quickly established yourself in the NU community a couple years ago. How did it happen?
Jarii: Well before I began to main NU I was a lurker in all the tiers, was also roommod in the Tour room back then which indicates most of the time you haven't found your main tier. Besides that I always felt I was a lower tier rather then a player that focuses on OU or Ubers. With that I heard there was a way to get tutored by "godplayers" of the tiers. With that I hoped to finally find my main tier. I started to get tutored in UU what well didn't work really out for me. Then I signed up the month after for NU, what most people probably don't know is that Tennis wasn't my first tutor in NU. It was actually Shuckleking87, that is what started it for me. I never came further then outside the tour room and there i was one of the best tour room players, and all of the sudden I came in a world where people were 100 times better then me. From there I knew I wanted to main NU and got in touch with Tennis, I saw Tennis always as a S+ rank in NU so when he agreed to tutor me I was so hyped. With Tennis being my tutor you get connections and thats basicly how it started. More important NU'ers like Teddeh back then and Disjunction began to talk to me what kept me in the tier and trying out to get involved as much as I could. Mouth full haha.

Earth: How was your NUPL managing experience this year? Do you think you’ll be managing a team again next year?
Jarii: It was quite the experience I must say, so many people begin to message you out of nowhere that they are "the next best thing". That was quite hard to deal with if i'm honest I don't necassary like dissapointing people. For the rest I really liked it, the way to prepare for the moment you can finally buy the players you want and the mindgames of overpaying are something I really didn't want to miss. I did had a rough NUPL though but your first time can't be perfect. If I will be managing next year really depends if I feel like it or not, there is alot that you have to do before and when NUPL starts. I have alot of respect for people who manages SPL teams now haha.

Earth: What are your thoughts on the current metagame? Are there any Pokemon you would like to get rid of, or at least suspect?
Jarii: Alot of people say that the current metagame has alot of issues, everyone can win vs everyone with all the broken mons in the tier. I don't necessary agree on that, the current metagame requires alot of preparing you can't simply rely on a single playstyle and if you do you get counterteamed. This is why I think some people can't get the succes in SM NU as they do in ORAS NU and some people do have success what they didn't had in ORAS NU. In SM NU teambuilding is even more important then it normally is. That is something myself really like about the current metagame!As for pokemon I would like to get rid of is Emboar #1 for me. I'm a huge Emboar lover myself as alot of people probably know and with that said I have used it alot as well. There is almost no reason not to run an Emboar on the team, Scarf is insanely good vs offense, Band / expert belt vs balance / stall. How much it would hurt me to see Emboar go, it just needs to go.

Earth: Being the bo3 player of your NUPL team, what’s the gen you disliked playing the most? The one you enjoyed the most? Why?
Jarii: I disliked BW NU by far the most, I think if your tier has Wartortle in A- there is something wrong. Alololololomola in BW NU is also crazy to deal with, stall wasn't fun and I generally didn't had a good time playing it. SM NU I enjoyed the most because especially in NUPL SM NU was fairly fresh what meant the teambuilding skills are really needed in there. ORAS was just fun to play in again, gave me good memories back.

Earth: What advice would you give to someone who’s trying to get involved / known in the NU community?
Jarii: I actually recently gave my tutee vo1tage advice of how to get involved / known in the NU community. The best advice i can give is: lurk around for 1 or 2 weeks see how the "more experienced posters" do their posts. Get your example from that and make it your own. And most important thing is dont be scared to post, every post you make is a learning process. What does it matter your post is not as good as someone elses post? They started somewhere as well.

Earth: Are there any underrated Pokemon you enjoy using right now? If so, which ones, and why do you think they’re good?
Jarii: Z-celebrate Vaporeon for sure, there aren't alot of offensive water types in the tier and the offensive water types we have (clawizter and Samurott) are pretty slow. So people only really prepare for Samurott since Clawizter it too slow to really prepare for, that is where Z-celebrate Vaporeon shines the most. People check water types also with Slowbro or offensive Grass-types and Timid Vaporeon is able to outspeed sceptile after a +1. So yeah on the right team Z-celebrate Vaporeon can do alot as I think I showed well in my match vs FLCL in NUL.

Earth: Could you tell us more about yourself outside of Smogon? What are your hobbies?
Jarii: Well I just recently turned 22, I'm in my last year of my study technical engineering and after i'm done with that I'm going to study to becoming a teacher. For the rest my hobbies are tabletennis what I actually do on a high level every friday, gaming of course, hanging around with friends both irl and online and for the rest im a huge fan of cooking and drawing.

Earth: What's the thing you enjoy doing the most on Smogon, contributing, playing tournaments etc? Why?
Jarii: Playing tournaments for sure, I do have to say i'm not the best contributor myself like a Hootie for example. I do make alot of mistakes and my English still isn't perfect. The best part I like about playing in tournaments is the friends you make from it, I have so many friends I wouldn't have had if I didn't play in certain tournaments. The other part I really like is the preparing for the opponent, getting in someones mind of what they would use vs you and try to counterreact that. Best example I can give is vs Kiyo in Week 1 of NUPL, where I predicted him to predict me to use my "standard balance". I counterreacted that with a Sticky Web team and well its so satisfying to see when you're right about what they are going to bring by team preview haha.

Earth: Lastly, could you provide us a team that fits your current play style and give a brief explanation?
Jarii:

Vanilluxe @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Vaporeon @ Normalium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Celebrate
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

Houndoom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 52 Atk / 232 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Pursuit
- Destiny Bond

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Pain Split
- Gunk Shot

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Roost
- U-turn

Well as I talked about Z-celebrate Vaporeon before I might as well give a team with it, this is the team I used vs FLCL in NUL and with success! The team actually looks like you facing balance with wish support Vaporeon, so alot of people get off guard when you randomly Z-celebrate on the Grass switch in (or Slowbro as FLCL did). Specs Ice cream is there is support Vaporeon as a big wallbreaker and they deal with eachother checks quite nicely I must say, Vanilluxe has issues with Fire / Steel types what Vaporeon can deal with while Vaporeon has issues with really sturdy water types what Vanilluxe can deal with. Scarf Houndoom is basicly there to get rid of annoying mons for the team, like Scarf emboar can be a pain to deal with if you predicted wrong a couple of times. So Scarf Destiny Bond makes it you get rid of that, able to pick off mons that are low health and general just a fast mon the team still needed. Rhydon as rocker since the team has no real answers to Normal-types. Garbodor for spikestacking and a Fighting-resist and as last Xatu since you don't want Defog with spikestack and there is no good Rapid Spinner that can function as a secondary Fighting check so only option is Xatu then.

Earth: Well, thank you for your time Jarii! It was a pleasure.
Jarii: Ty for having me! As last I want to say you doing a great job making these potw, it's always a pleasure reading them and a honor getting picked for.

If you have any question, feel free to ask them below! If you want me to interview anyone in particular, PM me.

Last edited:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jarii you're a cute person hii

Thoughts on NU atm?

Fave battle?

Fave niche mon?

Up and coming star?

More bad questions?

But yeah grats my dude!

Omg jarii big fan
When did u start playing mons (both ingame and comp)?
Ty ty, I started playing mons when I was 4 years old when the Gameboy Color and Pokémon Yellow were released in Europe. Since then I have played every non-spin off game of Pokémon until XY were I tried to find a forum to help me breed. I ended up on Showdown and that's how it started.

Nice taste in Date A Live characters.
U know it!

Who is Jarii and what kind of music does he like?
I am Jarii and I listen to everything, but my favorite genre is soft rock. Here have some examples of the music I listen to alot lately!

Then a classic for me:

who do you fuckin hate in smogon
whos the shittiest player uve played
Parivard
Parivard

[I actually played you in a tour a few months before I came to NU and i choked pretty hard after missing two drill runs in a row, true story]

Is there a single player you look up especially to in NU?

Who are players you think are up and coming in the NU community?

If you could have any co-manager for your very own imaginary NUPL team from any of the NU roomauth, who would you choose?

If you could have any Pokemon drop down to NU, what would it be?
Tournament scene I would have to say Finchinator the ease this dude adapt to what he plays is incredible, he also plays like 5 tiers or something (SM OU BW OU SM NU ORAS NU BW NU) and in all he is pretty feared which is pretty incredible.

If we talking about the NU forum I have to say Hootie because how easily he took over NU, it's something I probably can't do.

I actually had a Co-manager Disjunction

I actually have a wishlist of what I want in NU so post just post all of them:

Have you ever (not) regretted tutoring me

When are we going to meet
I do? I think?

I legit don't understand how we haven't met rofl.

Jarii you're a cute person hii

Thoughts on NU atm?

Fave battle?

Fave niche mon?

Up and coming star?

More bad questions?

But yeah grats my dude!
Hii other cute person!

Well what I said in the interview rofl.

Eeuhm I would say I liked Me vs SG in SPL back then the most.

Pursuitofhappiny is really underrated.

I think so?

Ty!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)