RMT Offensive Core Turn Team (Currently #7)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I haven't posted an RMT in a while, but I've been doing very well with this SM team and thought I would share it with you.

Team At A Glance:

- - - - -

This teams playstyle is a combination of bulky offensive pressure with just enough support and momentum-grabbing moves to threaten every team style.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Landorus-Therian provides incredible offensive pressure, being able to pivot, to stallbreak, and to weaken opponents, especially slow physical attackers, throughout the match by pivoting in and out with Intimidate and U-turn. Initially Landorus-T can be played like a scouting set, the ideal time to use Supersonic Skystrike is when you can catch a Tomohawk unaware, so U-turning out of it the first time you see it can often lower their guard. Late-game, Swords Dance can be set up to finish off any remaining opponents.

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Meet one of the nastiest bulky offensive threats around, Choice Specs Magearna provides and can maintain momentum with a powerful Volt Switch, snowball with its STABs, or take its usual counters (Mollux, Plasmanta, Heatran) by surprise with Hidden Power Ground.

Greninja-Ash @ Mystic Water
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump

I may have borrowed this Greninja from Ash, but it's a great cleaning Pokemon that really appreciates the rest of the team's ability to pivot in and out to get it in safely. Once in, it can pick off weakened opponents with Water Shuriken, or threaten with a powerful Hydro Pump or Dark Pulse. Ice Beam preys on 4x weaknesses and Grass types that like to switch into A-G.

Pyroak @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Giga Drain
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis

If anyone asks who the MVP CAP is, don't let anyone tell you it isn't Pyroak. Pyroak's job is to set up rocks and use its strong mixed bulk to wear down opponents. I opted for Giga Drain over Leech Seed because its better at pressuring Bulky Waters. Synthesis allows Pyroak to stay in the game long-term, and fish for Burns with Lava Plume.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

SpD Defog Zapdos is often overlooked, but it has a number of great qualities for this team. It can pivot in and out with a reasonably powerful Volt Switch, Roost off damage, and weaken defensive Pokemon with Toxic.

Colossoil @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Aqua Tail

The most frightening offensive status absorber around, Scarf Colossoil is a great check to electric and Steel-type sweepers, and its fast Knock-Off can systematically reduce the offensive and defensive threats offerered by opposing teams (Knock Off Leftovers, Rocky Helmet, Choice Items). U-turn lets Colossoil pivot in and out of status with boosted damage. Aqua Tail is selected as a coverage option that can hit Landorus-T that switch in as well as being a choice that can hit Crucibelle when Ground immunities are still present.​

Last edited:

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like a lot of things about this team, but how do you cover Cawmodore? It would set up all over Magearna. Changing Toxic to Heat Wave on Zapdos would really help.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like a lot of things about this team, but how do you cover Cawmodore? It would set up all over Magearna. Changing Toxic to Heat Wave on Zapdos would really help.
So far I've been handling Cawmodore with offensive pressure. Collosoil's Knock Off removes its Sitrus Berry before it can BD, causing it to fail. Pyroak Lava Plumes while it is in, and I'm very careful before selecting Volt Switch (or HP Ground with Magearna), as Cawm can't survive Ninja's Shuriken if it gets hit by a Gleam or Flash Cannon prior. Shuriken hits before Bullet Punch. I also suspect that most Cawm users think Zapdos is packing Heat Wave, and by the time they figure out it isn't, Cawm has lost a lot of opportunities to set up.

I really like the design of this team, especially with the Scarf Colossoil and Mystic Water AshNinja. I'd agree that it seems a little shaky around beating Cawm (damn that meta-shaping bird of stupidity), but my other question is what do you do to handle Zapdos, Charizard-Y, and other powerful Flying types, especially those with Fire moves? I see that Pyroak can definitely slow them down, and Stealth Rock discourages switching in, and etc. But it seems that your only Fire switchins are Pyroak and AshNinja, and Greninja is frail enough that it can't casually switch in. This seems to put a lot of weight on Pyroak to hold the team together, but correct me if I'm wrong. If Pyroak goes down the best bet is just sack and try to revenge with Greninja.

Something that might shape up your matchup against powerful Flying and/or Fire types, especially Charizard-Y, is Choice Scarf Garchomp instead of Scarf Colossoil. I realize you miss out in U-Turn and Knock Off, both of which are very valuable, but instead get significantly more speed (can revenge +1 Manaphy, etc) and a typing that can better punish opposing U-Turn teams and Fire types.

It depends on if beating certain extra Pokemon is more valuable than having U-Turn and Knock Off. You of course know the team better than I do and better know what is needed more.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hello. I'm not extremely familiar with the CAP metagame. In fact, I play PU more than any other tier, but I noticed something with your team I thought I would share really quickly. I think it would be most beneficial to your team to replace Magearna's HP Ground with HP Fire.

After playing about 20 battles with this team or so, I've noticed the team has a hard time facing Zapdos+Clefable+Ferrothorn cores. HP Ground does nothing to break this core, and Ferrothorn comes in on Magearna all day. On more offensively inclined teams, Mega-Scizor and Mega-Mawile have been seeing higher usage after Mega-Metagross was banned. HP Fire allows Magearna to still hit Mega-Mawile for 2x SE, whilist gets the 4x SE on Mega-Scizor.

You've also mentioned that HP Ground it nails Mollux, Heatran, and Plasmanta. However, these Pokemon are already offensively checked by Landorus-T and Colossoil with Earthquake. In contrast, since Toxic is being ran over Heat Wave on Zapdos, Pyroak's Lava Plume is the only Fire-Type attack on the team. HP Fire puts more offensive pressure on opposing teams, and is overall a more effective lure.

Also, you've stated that you've had trouble in Magearna vs. Cawmodore match-ups. Hidden Power Fire would give your team another way to get pass Cawmodore.

I know this post is like 2 months since the one before it, but I thought it would be nice to point out, especially after the Mega-Metagross ban. Thanks for reading! n_n

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)