Official NBA '17-18 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bird stepped down but is still an advisor of sorts. He should've taken the deadline deal from the Celtics when they offered a ton of picks and starters.

Idk how so many teams passed on Kuzma, kid looks real.

Summer League First Team: Lonzo Ball (LAL), John Collins (ATL), Josh Jackson (PHX), Dennis Smith Jr. (DAL), Caleb Swanigan (POR)
Summer League Second Team: Cheick Diallo (NOP), Bryn Forbes (SAS), Kyle Kuzma (LAL), Wayne Selden Jr. (MEM), Jayson Tatum (BOS)
Summer League MVP: Lonzo Ball (LAL), because who else?

King Kuz with a great showing in the first half in the Finals.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
so houston ownership is selling the team and is valued at 1.6 bn, i'm guessing ownership doesn't wanna pay harden and cp3 the big bucks lol.

can yao ming get a chinese ownership group together and buy the franchise? the shanghai sharks can be like their 2nd d league team, and then they can try to get CHINESE SUPERSTARS stephon marbury and jimmer fredette to return to the NBA :toast:

That's ridiculous though, deciding to throw money at all these guys and then saying "yeah screw that we're out" lmao

King Kuz killing it in the Finals.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Orrrrrrrrr

The team has never been more valuable and is at a peak in the market and the owners are cashing out their investment

Is it even the FO's fault tho? The whole thing's fucked nonetheless

rip east lmao, western conference semis will literally be tougher than grand final

Is it even the FO's fault tho?
No, not really, if we are to believe reports that he asked to be traded before the draft and that he wanted to play alongside Jimmy Butler in Chicago.

Kyrie would've been an attractive trade piece (and IMO the only valuable asset the Cavs have) to get Paul George or Butler (the Cavs don't have to honour his wishlist since he doesn't have a no-trade clause). Still with two guaranteed years and a PO year, it gives Pritchard, as incompetent as he is, ample time to rebuild the team to keep Irving around for longer than that. I actually think Griffin was onto something on the Irving trade route, which ultimately led to his firing (with the reason being "differences in vision of the future"). It just goes back to Dan Gilbert being a trash owner.

Can Cavs, Bulls, Pistons, and Pacers fans all form a pact to join the Bucks bandwagon as the only team in that part of the Midwest with a competent FO?
#FEARTHEDEER

Read this for the timeline of events that led to Kyrie's trade request.

Some excerpts:

Ramona Shelburne said:
Irving had been thinking about this day for some time. In preparation, he'd reached out to people he trusted seeking advice on how to go about it.

Over the previous few months, the Cavs had been worried about Irving's mindset. They knew at times he'd grown unhappy with playing a secondary role on the team. Griffin had several conversations with Irving throughout the year, sources said, trying to find ways to work on the situation. But Irving had become irritated before, the side effects of James' greatness -- and largesse -- wearing on him. The Cavs had been able to navigate it, and they hoped to again.

Much of Irving's disenchantment with James was rooted in game play, sources said. James, as a once-in-a-lifetime talent, controlled the ball more than any other forward perhaps in league history. Which means the ball was out of Irving's hands more than he preferred. That said, Irving led the Cavs in shots in the 2016-17 season, averaging 1.5 more per game than James, and Irving averaged a career-high 25.9 points. It was the first time in James' career he didn't lead his team in shots per game.
It's easy to see where he's coming from. Many say/assume that everyone wants to play with LeBron because he's the best in the league, is unselfish, and can carry a team to the Finals, but some superstars (especially a point guard) would hate to have his role diminished to a spot up shooter when he gets a pass from LeBron. Not saying that LeBron is at fault, it's understandable he'd be running the offense (given the Cavs +/- with LeBron off the court), but no doubt players are looking at the Warriors and their real unselfish ball movement wanting to play in that scenario rather than with LeBron. I think LeBron would actually want to play with a playmaker *cough* Lonzo *cough*, especially with his age and minutes getting up there, so he doesn't need to be the primary ball handler.

Dave McMenamin said:
But they couldn't complete the deal. Indiana was working on another option with the Portland Trail Blazers, sources said, as they were offering a package with three first-round picks for George.
THREE first rounders, Pritchard, and you take Oladipo and Sabonis instead??

"Sure, we've had our fair share of moments and kind of chaotic times, and that's obviously been well documented, but at the same time we've had a lot of joy," one Cavs player told ESPN. "I hope Kyrie is with us, that's all I got to say. At the end of the day, we're pretty f---ing good."
No thanks to you, Tristan Thompson.

I read this article, apparently he's a beast in the ring. I wonder if he'd ever pursue any legitimate fights?
Unfortunately it's unlikely given he's 41 but it'd be hella sick to see Timmy in the MMA after all the boring jokes his personality has gotten over the years. Plus I miss Duncan :(
Also, if y'all live outside the SA market like I do you guys would probably not have seen these(I saw online) but the Spurs actually did/do have some humor lol

Makes sense, though. Ainge doesn't want to pay IT next summer. Not sure if I mentioned it here, but I was saying elsewhere during the playoffs that he should look to trade IT this summer.

Found it

On the surface, Kyrie for IT (even as a one year rental) is a wash, plus getting the underrated Crowder and an almost guaranteed high pick from the Nets? If IT gets a max deal from the Cavs and resigns with them next summer, it's a steal for Cleveland.

I think it's a good deal for both sides. Ainge needed something after striking out on Butler, PG, and Griffin (even though he did end up with Tatum and Hayward). It's an overpay within reasonable bound IMO, Boston gets the talent they needed, give up some young pieces (that they have more of), and can come out of the East with a starting lineup of Kyrie, Hayward, Brown, Morris, Horford with Smart and Tatum off the bench. If LeBron leaves, it sets up the Celtics in the East for years to come, since Kyrie is likely going to re-sign.

As for the Cavs, I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay a 29 year old 5-9 point guard who plays zero defense a max. It's a good move for Ainge, who doesn't want to deal with his contract extension.

Not only did the Cavs trade away a #1 pick for the #60 pick, but that #60 pick will also be starting over another #1 pick.

Cavs get the ultimate revenge by shipping Kyrie to the place whose newspaper is called the Globe.

As a Celtics fan, I'd much rather have the King in the Fourth and that pick. I also want fucking Avery Bradley back.

Maybe I'm mistaken, maybe I'm being too hasty, but I think I can nail two "facts", even with this trade being good to both sides:

1) LeBron will leave Cleveland next season. I don't see a good scenario for keep him in the land, specially with all that stress in this offseason. He has already won his championship and MVP Finals for the Cavs, will have his number retired in at least two franchises and has the chance to make a new contract in a new and young core and finish his career playing a very good basketball with chances of more rings and another number retired. Anyway, I think the relationship between LeBron and Cavs is going to end this season;

2) Cavs will be defeated by the Celtics in the Eastern Finals and Celtics will be defeated by Warriors or Spurs in The Finals. I can't see Cleveland being able to defend well against the Celtics in the full scheme. They will have to make a Sofia's Choice:

a) Play with the current team and hide Isaiah Thomas in defense against a Celtics player weak in offense like Marcus Smart (accepting the risk of taking many points in the perimeter especially against Kyrie Irving), or...

b) Play with a super small ball with LeBron on PF / C and reinforces the perimeter defense at the risk of taking many points against stronger PF/C like Al Horford in the paint. It's not easy to decide.

It must be said for the sake of the truth that the bench is better than in past seasons, but the starting lineup has gotten worse if we consider a fact: Kyrie owned Thomas many times in last season (Cavs won 7 of 9 games last season vs Celtics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)