Official NBA '17-18 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, Enes Kanter got traded a few days after he tweeted this. Him and IT being traded despite their obvious loyalty towards their old teams should hopefully make fans think twice before criticizing players for lack of loyalty just because they left to go to a better situation for themselves.

New draft rules will be in play starting with the 2019 draft. It was passed 28-1-1, with OKC voting against and Dallas abstaining. The new odds are as follows:

Teams are glad that they only need to aim for 3rd worst record rather than the worst.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Better than the nfl system, where outright tanking for the #1 pick is essentially encouraged.
420% wrong because you still have the best chance to win the lottery by tanking anyway. Discouraging tanking is literally impossible without resorting to a completely bonkers draft system that throws the concept of parity completely out the window (i.e. by giving more successful teams better picks, or assigning picks at complete random). The lottery offers the illusion of discouraging tanking, and it's not even a very good illusion which is why it's complete garbage.

Kuzma looking like a steal at 27. He's got the tools to play and guard 2 through 4, and if he keeps this shot up he can be a real threat as a spot-up shooter while running the floor. He's obviously worked so hard on improving since his college days, as well, which is always a good sign.

How do people feel about the new All Star system? I think it needs a bit tuning (make captains outside of the league who draft the teams) but otherwise I think the system seems fun and a good idea.

Also, I'm ready to watch the new formed Celtics. Haven't been this initially pumped and ready for a season in awhile.

Kuzma looking like a steal at 27. He's got the tools to play and guard 2 through 4, and if he keeps this shot up he can be a real threat as a spot-up shooter while running the floor. He's obviously worked so hard on improving since his college days, as well, which is always a good sign.
I watched some of his summer ball games and was very impressed. Didn't get to see the preseason games yet, but am excited to see how he turns out. Lakers definitely have promising pieces.

I don't like the new All Star system. It seems like a minor tweak on something that's unnecessary. The biggest issue I have with the All Star Game is that it's a mix between popularity contest (fan voting) and the best players in that season (reserves voted by coaches). They moved closer to the latter last season by having the weighted voting for starters, but I'd rather it to either be a straight out popularity contest where fans vote for the 24 players they want to see regardless of position and conference, or have some form of voting system where "experts" (coaches, players, media [LOL]) vote for the 24 best players, again regardless of position and conference, though they may fear it'll be too similar to All-NBA teams. If they were serious about scrapping conferences completely, they should've made the top two vote-getters captains.

TL;DR: They should've changed it up more.

Lakers looking promising in defeat through the preseason. I'm hoping we cam reach 35 or so wins and keep our pick again. It has to fall outside the top 7 I believe

Lakers looking promising in defeat through the preseason. I'm hoping we cam reach 35 or so wins and keep our pick again. It has to fall outside the top 7 I believe
The pick is unprotected now, goes either to the Sixers (1, 6-30) or the Celtics (2-5). That's why it was important to keep this year's pick, 'cause otherwise the 2019 pick would've gone to Orlando instead, and we would've given up 2 first rounders instead of just 1 (not to mention missing out on Lonzo). That 2019 pick turned into two second rounders to Orlando.

I'm loving Kyle Kuzma, by the way. This kid can be really special (not like an all-time great, but a solid scorer who has all the physical tools to be a good defender), and can be paired with any of our front court combinations (out of Ingram, Randle, Nance, Lopez, Bogut). He's shown that he can score in multiple ways and works hard on defense.

Last edited:
Well fuck yo Bill Simmons you LIED to me. He's a hardcore Boston fan so it should be expected but still...
Kuzma is a steal at 27, which we got from Brooklyn in the Russel trade. Now if we can only flip Randle for Faried or something.

I wouldn't want to give up on Randle just yet. He's worked on his game this summer and while he isn't a good defender, is still capable of being a nightly double-double threat (hoping he can go at least 18 and 10). We haven't seen him with Lopez (who can give him a lot of room to operate) yet, so I'm still a little optimistic. Even if he doesn't pan out, he's worth more to us as an expiring unless we trade him for a star (or better, one of our targets for next summer).

I agree. I just see him as an expiring contract/trade chip rather than a future asset. He's in the wrong era imo. Would have been a beast in the 90s but he's just out of place on our offense now. If he could develop an off the dribble game with both hands but he remains left hand dominant. And his passing is a waste because lonzo outclassed him far and away

He still has a few months to prove himself as a future asset. I agree he probably isn't the best fit in today's game, but let him play it out and see what happens. If he can up his value and grab us a disgruntled star (HI DEMARCUS), it'd be great for us lol. Even if our targets in free agency don't work out (namely LeBron and PG), we're unlikely to give him the max anyway.

I'm still not sure if the Thunder can pay PG, Russ, and Melo given the luxury and repeater tax implications.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
randle got t-rex arms and his go-to move is bulldozing in a straight line into the paint and drawing offensive fouls

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jordan Bell is showing such great promise. Swaggy P still not looking quite comfy. Jordan Bell just amazing tho, thanks Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)