Official(!) Smogon University PO Stats -- September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
never understood why weezing wasn't used too much in a mole-infested metagame. that thing will laugh at any +2 LO adamant attacks from the mole and just rape it with fire blast/ flamethrower

I've tried to use Weezing again, and it does have things it can own, but the fact is that it can't really touch things like Heatran or Reuniclus, and doesn't have the firepower to threaten many other things that its best option against them is Will-o-Wisp. Weezing would benefit from an evolution with a Electric secondary type haha. Anyways, Haze, Pain Split, Will-o-Wisp and a couple of attacks are about the extent of what Weezing can do. Gliscor has many more options/assets like Poison Heal + Toxic Orb to allow for healing and/or stalling with Toxic and Protect as well as status protection, Swords Dance, STAB Earthquake (and the occasional Acrobatics should you choose), usable speed with Taunt. Besides, it has less physical bulk than Gliscor due to less base HP and defense, so it's not exactly taking Excadrill's +2 Returns (or Rock Slides) any better.

never understood why weezing wasn't used too much in a mole-infested metagame. that thing will laugh at any +2 LO adamant attacks from the mole and just rape it with fire blast/ flamethrower
Because Weezing doesn't counter Excadrill:

252 +2 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Return vs 252 HP/252 Def Weezing: 61.98% - 73.05%
0 SpAtk Weezing Fire Blast vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Excadrill: 53.04% - 62.98%

Even if Excadrill doesn't run Return, Rock Slide almost always 2HKO's after rocks and Excadrill comes out alive, though weakened:

252 +2 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Rock Slide vs 252 HP/252 Def Weezing: 45.81% - 53.89%

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Gliscor will drop too much. It still has to stop Conkeldurr and Terrakion (who will be on the rise).

Expect to see a spike in Deoxys-S usage. HO (offensive teams in general) are much more viable without Excadrill messing with speed tiers and Thundurus spamming priority T-wave or Taunt to stop screens.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
DD Ttar is one mon that really enjoys the absence of Excadrill. It caught me really off guard when I faced one :o

It's still screwed over by most Fighting-types and Conkeldurr though? I tried rotating it into my HO team's lineup and it and its sandstorm really don't get along well with Gyarados / Cloyster / Haxorus etc.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
DD Ttar is one mon that really enjoys the absence of Excadrill. It caught me really off guard when I faced one :o
Was this today? Just wondering because I was using one.

Either way, it definitely enjoys Excadrill being gone, but I still have problems with sun teams with it.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was using DDTar yesterday but Terrakion is still choiced to the point where it baits the CC, so I then send in one of my dragons to set up. Air Balloon was fun when Exca was around but now he is banned, Tyranitar holds Babiri/Sash and sometimes carries SR over Ice Punch and I switch to QuakeSlide for attacking purposes, in favour of Superpower + Crunch.

Lead usage stats are up!

The top lead spots went to:
  • OU: Politoed. Beat out T-tar! Really interesting, but all that means is that people are willing to defer setting up the sand, whereas rain users want their rain right away.
  • UU: Donphan. No surprise.
  • RU: Yanmega. Inb4 rocks, I guess.
  • Ubers: Kyogre. No surprise there.
  • LC: Mienfoo. Eviolite Fake Out / Scarf U-Turn. No surprise there, either.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Taylor said:
I was using DDTar yesterday but Terrakion is still choiced to the point where it baits the CC, so I then send in one of my dragons to set up. Air Balloon was fun when Exca was around but now he is banned, Tyranitar holds Babiri/Sash and sometimes carries SR over Ice Punch and I switch to QuakeSlide for attacking purposes, in favour of Superpower + Crunch.
Thanks for the insight, Taylor :d. In terms of the 3 attacks, Crunch + Fire Punch + Aqua Tail seems to cover the most threats. Fire Punch is necessary to punch through Ferrothorn (and Virizion / Breloom). Aqua Tail is necessary to break through Hippowdon, Gliscor, and Terrakion. I would rather go with Stone Edge for its STAB, but then Gastrodon would wall the set. Superpower sounds counter-productive on a DDer, but it may open up a slot for Stone Edge.

Antar said:
Lead usage stats are up!

The top lead spots went to:
OU: Politoed. Beat out T-tar! Really interesting, but all that means is that people are willing to defer setting up the sand, whereas rain users want their rain right away.
UU: Donphan. No surprise.
RU: Yanmega. Inb4 rocks, I guess.
Ubers: Kyogre. No surprise there.
LC: Mienfoo. Eviolite Fake Out / Scarf U-Turn. No surprise there, either.
Haha, sweet stats! Yea, it's not surprising that top leads in OU are weather inducers, dragons, Rotom-W, or Pokemon with Hazards (esp. Deoxys-S). Thanks for the data, Antar!!

I plan on starting a separate thread about this later, but I'm shifting my thoughts now to pokemetrics besides usage.

An example would be some kind of "sweeper measure," which would be something along the lines of "avg. number of kills per battle" (gotta figure out what to do about ragequits).

I'm also thinking about generating a "switch matrix," which would basically give the most common switch-ins to a given pokemon.

Anyone have any other ideas of cool "metrics" I could look at?

It's totally arbitrary, but how 'bout a "status matrix," which would tell us which Pokémon get hit with each different status the most? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)