OU Player of the Week #8: Posho

Status
Not open for further replies.

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a defending SCL Champion

Welcome to the SM version of OU Player of the Week! This project will feature interviews from some of the most accomplished and influential users in the tier so that we can learn more about them.
If there is a user that you would like to see interviewed be sure to let me know.

-------------

Posho
most known for: Reaching Smogon Tour finals twice, qualifying for OLT and atrocious posting
favourite pokemon: Empoleon
most used pokemon: Landorus-T

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself outside of Smogon?
I'm a 16 year-old guy who has just finished highschool, and is about to start his first year of bachellor. I'm currently living in Barcelona, Spain, after having lived 5 years in Uruguay, a small country from South America(Hence why I'm elegible to play for LA if anyone wondered). My area of expertise is basically languages, I only know three currently: Spanish, which is my mother tongue, English, which I've been learning ever since my first days of school and Catalan, one of the mandatory languages here in Barcelona and I still have potential to learn more. I want my future carreer to be related with probably translation or teaching, but here in Spain you have plenty of jobs to pick from if you know English, so I don't really know, I could change my mind in the upcoming years. As for my routine, it consists on basically going to school, doing some daily exercise (God damn I don't wanna become some fat-ass bitch like Finchinator), hanging out with friends and sometimes when I feel like it, I do some long-ass walkings beacuse I enjoy them so much :O.

Where did you get your name from?
My nick basically comes from the word "Pollo" , which has a peculiar phonetic in some South American countries like Argentina or Uruguay. The word is pronounced as "Po-io" but Argentinian people for example they change the sounds of "y" and "ll" to "sh", therefore I decided that my nick would be Posho.

How and when did you get into competitive Pokemon?
This was back in like 2011, before leaving Spain I had a small group of friends who I played mons with, we all had a copy of the 4th generations game, and man, we'd spend hours battling each other to determine who's the best of us. When I left I was very sad, I couldn't comunicate with them anymore and the only remaining memory I could have from them was probably my Pokemon cartidges, so I decided to keep on playing the game and try to somehow improve. In early 2013, while surfing through the net, I discovered this game called PokeMMO, which was basically FRLG online, hell, you could even personalize your own character. Point is that I met lots of cool people there and decided to join a clan, they taught me about evs, like certain mons need to have evs on certain stat so it could be used at its full potential, my thought process about this was something like: If a mon has high speed and atk, other mons won't have the chance to attack it, therefore having defense on it is useless, that kind of stuff. Later, I decided to join some FB groups to play with other people using the BW games, the current generation at that point was BW2 but I didn't have a copy of those games. I was always beaten down so badly beacuse my opponents knew about the game, evs, movesets and stuff while I was just using random pokemons that I leveled up to level 100. So it wasn't until I discovered this web called PokeGTS, which allowed me to edit mons and trasferring them to my game, having this in mind and the previous knowledge I had about Evs and stuff, I decided to make my own mons, while I searched on the net suitable Ev spreads and movesets for them, I visited webs like Pokexperto to do so. However, I felt there was something I was missing, I knew I wasn't gonna win battles off picking my favourite mons and using them smartly, so I decided to watch some Youtube channels in spanish, I've learned a lot from people like GearsWill, DrakeCPKMN or TyranitaRed. After watching them for a certain period of time, I discovered this thing called "OverUsed", "UnderUsed", "RarelyUsed" and so on, basically a way to categorize mons based on their effectiveness or usefulness, it was when I found Smogon dot com and therefore, pokemon showdown dot com along with it. From there on I've been actively playing mons, having been part of clans and stuff, playing clanwars, which was the funniest shit ever, God. Then in 2015 I randomly got my 1st chance to play in the prestigious World Cup of Pokémon, but only as a sub until user: Vileman decided to leave and go watch Copa América and they subbed me in to play against Aurious, that was my first game in a official tournament, needless to say I was nervous as fuck lol. Ever since that, I've been aiming to improve and played lots of tournaments :)

What’s your favourite generation of OU and why?
Black and White two Overused definitely, while some people might not like it due to the sleep mechanics, permanent weather, spikes + Alakazam, and so forward, I think it's a very nice generation, mostly beacuse of how difficult it is to play, there are a lot of obstacles you have to go through, some are: as I said before dealing with the mechanics but also you have to make sure your team isn't bullshit and is able to properly fight back some of the most used styles like weather or dragmag, then even if you have bad match-up, if you're packing a good team and you play it at your best, you definitely have chances to win. I also believe that there's still room for innovation in this gen, I loved watching McMeghan's smogtour 20 run, he really brought some creative and effective at the same time sets, my favourite one will always be the Cm Spamming core of Reuniclus + Duosion, it looked amusing at first sight but it really can be frightening having to face a Reuniclus plus something that does the same as Reuniclus and is bulkier :O.

What’s your favourite playstyle to use and why?
It's probably bulky offense, beacuse it reflects the way I play. I tend to be aggresive sometimes during a battle but it's also to try and be safe when needed, so having lots of powerful attackers with a good defensive backbone is what I mostly feel comfortable playing with

What are your thoughts on the current metagame? How do you feel about SM in comparison to ORAS?
I like the fact that this metagame is more offensive oriented, leading to more fast-paced battles(unless it's a toxapex war, then expect it to last like 300 turns at least) than there would be in a passive-like metagame such as ORAS. I'm also in the opinion that ORAS is just a worse SM, but it lacks Mega Sableye, which allows me to use broken sets such as Custap Skarmory and the so legendary Poshothorn (Stealth rock + spikes)

Are you happy with Baton Pass ban? Do you believe it should also be banned in ORAS?
Yes, I clearly am, I don't think that move had any contribution with the metagame's improvement besides allowing Celebi to escape from Tyranitar's pursuit? lol , and therefore I completely agree with its ban, and so I feel it should be banned in ORAS as well

Do you believe that anything else deserves a suspect test in the near future?
I believe there are lots of broken threats in the metagame, but I think Protean Greninja is one of the most suspect-worthy mons, I'm not saying that is ban-worthy, however I believe it should receive a suspect at least.

You’ve now made back to back Smogon Tour finals. Which journey to the finals was tougher? Who was the most difficult opponent to face and why?
This is probably my biggest feat when it comes to Pokemon, and I'm really proud about myself, since I believe noone besides Giga Punch if I'm not incorrect has been able to achieve this. Regarding the toughness of each run, I'd say that qualifying-wise the latest one was the most difficult, I really lacked the motivation to play this one and I wasn't doing well in SM OU, so I was feeling quite discouraged until last day, when I miraculously got all the points I needed to qualify as the 13th seed. Then playoffs-wise I'm not gonna discredit anyone there, I feel if you've been able to make it that far is beacuse you're competent enough, I've had tough opponents in both runs, but I feel that in this one I've had to step up my game since some of my battles were incredibly difficult, games like the one I had Vs Steve Angello and Vs Kickasser had me sweating bullets like crazy. Even now, my finals opponent, ben gay is one of the craziest builders ever, and preparing for this will be one of my biggest challenges ever :O

Which team do you think is the most underrated coming into WCoP? Which team is the most overrated?
Probably ours, Latinamerica, we just came from winning in the qualifying phase and so we still have a lot to prove, I know the guys and they have lots of potential, so watch out! As for the most overrated, I'd say that it is East, but I think this is a well-earned title, as they've won/made it to the play-offs lots of times, which shows that they're a really good team, but that has led people to think that they're most likely going to be the winners, while I believe every team is as capable of it.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give to someone trying to break into the tournament setting?
One of the most difficult things to overcome while playing tournaments is probably the nerves, and I think this is beacuse of: how meaningful is the battle or beacuse people care too much about what others think about their plays. Just try to play as well as you can, you're the one who's commanding your own battle, not other people (
) , you know the right path that will get you to the victory and therefore your very own opinion is the one that matters :)

Who are some of your favourite people in the Smogon community?
I got lots of friends but If I had to address my favourite ones, those would be people like: Poek , We Three Kings , Shogarth , Maestro Arena , Robert. , Finchinator , Vileman , .CarloO~ , Znain , Alastor Law , Gene Sp , Malekith , DennisEG , Guilas D , Luispeikou , Sken , Ciele , Funkasaurus ,PDC , ABR , Pearl , Get this Money , BKC, blunder , daftmau5, Tom Bus , Trosko , Sabella , LuckOverSkill , dice , WhiteQueen , Alkov , Obliviate ,Disenchanted , Dokkerich and I could go on but also I don't want to forget two of my best friends in this game Ryu VM and Articulo , I owe a lot to you two and I would be a dick if I didn't mention you guys, thanks a lot :) Sorry if I have forgotten about someone, it's not that easy to remember everyone, but if you've been nice to me I'm most likely gonna like you

Finally, can you provide us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

Barney (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 120 HP / 184 Atk / 64 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch

Hongo (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 104 SpD / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Foul Play

Periquito (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Superpower
- U-turn

Transformer (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch

Hope (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Fauces (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 28 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn
This is probably my favourite team I made in ORAS OU, during OLT, it reflects the way I like playing, with 4 powerful mons and a cool defensive backbone :D

Feel free to fire away your questions and I'll do my best to answer!

Last edited:

Blazenix

浮気は犯罪行為
is an Artistis a Community Contributor
Hey man congrats on making finals in st, hope you win!

For the questions:
1. Which player do you enjoy playing and/or watching the most?
2. Thoughts on Magearna, Greninja and zygarde atm?
3. If you could change one thing about the metagame, what would you do?
4. Unrelated to mons but what's the best way of spending a day for you?

Last edited:

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
Hey man congrats on making finals in st, hope you win!

For the questions:
1. Which player do you enjoy playing and/or watching the most?
2. Thoughts on Magearna, Greninja and zygarde atm?
3. If you could change one thing about the metagame, what would you do?
4. Unrelated to mons but what's the best way of spending a day for you?
1. I'd say that players like Malekith, Bro Fist or TheThorn are among my favourite ones to watch
2. I believe those three mons could be suspect-worthy in the future, Greninja is one of the most dangerous threats in the game, mostly thanks to: a big and varied movepool, incredible speed tier and the fact that every of its atk gets stab. Zygarde is one of the most annoying mons to deal with, mostly due to its banded set with Thousand Arrows, makes team-building a lot more difficult, forcing you to run either Tangrowth or defensiv Landorus-t. Then Magearna, while I don't consider it as broken as the previous ones, it is quite unpredictable, it can run a plethora of sets: Av, Shift Gear, Trick Room, Calm Mind, Leftovers with Pain-Split and so on, and also there's the fact that it can run lots of Z moves, making it a huge threat to lots of team as you can't tell which one is running D:
3. I would probably remove the Mega-evolutions, I mean, they look cool, but I don't feel they have ever aported anything good to the game
4. If you have free time, try visit new places you haven't visited, even if it is in your own town/city or abroad, and if possible, try to do it with people you like, it'd be cool to share the experience with them :)

who do you fuckin hate in smogon

whos the shittiest player uve played
easy answer: Real FV13 , -Frexa- and Misicloud , people who try and make fun of me when they've done absolutely nothing in years they've been playing this game :joy_cat:, hope you're enjoying me having success from the sidelines lol.

There are a lot of ladder players that really get on my nerves, so as a general answer I'd say that those who make bad plays and give bad excuses to justify that :salt: :salt:

1.) 3d or 2d girls?
2.) ash gren or protean?
3.) did you pay the Uruguay mafia yet?
1.) I'm homo, can't pick. 3d girls tho :p
2.) Definitively protean greninja, for the reason I stated before
3.) Nah, they're still looking for me D:

1) What was your last catfish as a social server user? And the victim?
2) What do ya think bout drought + Chlorophyll bw metagame, as one of the most tryhard active bw players nowadays
3) Thoughts on Darkthunder (also known LAstoise) the legend, as an uruguayan fellow countryman, did he kick yo ass irl?

Also gratz for all your recent tournament runs, you have improved a lot in this two years, keep going fam!

Last edited:

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
1) What was your last catfish as a social server user? And the victim?
2) What do ya think bout drought + Chlorophyll bw metagame, as one of the most tryhard active bw players nowadays
3) Thoughts on Darkthunder (also known LAstoise) the legend, as an uruguayan fellow countryman, did he kick yo ass irl?

Also gratz for all your recent tournament runs, you have improved a lot in this two years, keep going fam!
1) It was like 3 years ago, I cyber'd with a guy called "Lucario50", after that I had been harassed by the guy for some days, that was some hilarious shit LOL
2) I never liked clorophyll, however I think Sand Rush should be unbanned, with Exca gone for sure, I miss Stoutland so much :
3) lol I left the country as soon as I learned he wanted to kick my ass

Don't tag me on your shit posts. You still didn't win anything on Smogon (gl on ST finals btw).

Also, Frexa and FV wanted me to make you remember this:

+SweetPosho: háblame de todos tus logros individuales
+Frexa ◕︵◕: tricampeon de la hpl
+Frexa ◕︵◕: campeon del pspain tour
+Frexa ◕︵◕: campeon de pxperto tour
+Frexa ◕︵◕: campeon del desafio pspain
+SweetPosho: irrelevante
+SweetPosho: LOL
+Frexa ◕︵◕: tu que has ganado
+Frexa ◕︵◕: ?
+SweetPosho: lol he ganado
+SweetPosho: el pokespain tour

Last edited:
Posho pkt

On Topic: Are you going to use your secret weapon in ST finals, like you did in the Regio you won? Smogon deserves it

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Who is your fav up and coming player to watch right now that really impresses you?

What do you think specifically helped you breakout as a battler? You went from an average tour player to qualifying for OLT and reaching Stour finals twice, what do you think helped you get over that hump and become so consistent specifically?

I find gen7 ou to be a bit crazy with all the z moves and offensive threats, how do you feel about that?

Have you come up with a new spelling for cuck yet?

what are some losses you've had that you regret most, should it be to your own misplaying or because you don't like your opponent or whatever?

i think you're one of my favorite players to watch in the newer gens since you play with a lot of aggression and when your hot you play really well kind of reminds me of leftiez, how much do you think you play based on intuition / emotion or do you make your plays based off the flow of the game and what is the "right" move?

Posho

local gaymer weeb
Who is your fav up and coming player to watch right now that really impresses you?

What do you think specifically helped you breakout as a battler? You went from an average tour player to qualifying for OLT and reaching Stour finals twice, what do you think helped you get over that hump and become so consistent specifically?

I find gen7 ou to be a bit crazy with all the z moves and offensive threats, how do you feel about that?

Have you come up with a new spelling for cuck yet?

what are some losses you've had that you regret most, should it be to your own misplaying or because you don't like your opponent or whatever?

i think you're one of my favorite players to watch in the newer gens since you play with a lot of aggression and when your hot you play really well kind of reminds me of leftiez, how much do you think you play based on intuition / emotion or do you make your plays based off the flow of the game and what is the "right" move?
- Poek definitely is one of the players that's been impressing me, I knew of his potential prior to WCoP XI, but it is just unbelievebable how much has he achieved in so little time

- I think Tamahome is one of the people that has helped me the most, I came from being a scared bitch who was nervous about playing CBB in OST r3 to a really succesful player now, and I think I owe that to all of the advice and support he's given me

- I think that is what makes the metagame so dynamic and crazy at the same time, and I really like that.

- Yes, in catalan now: çuçk

- This game is probably the one I regret the most, this was the first time I ever played SM in a official tournament, so there was a lack of awareness from my side during the battle, and also I didn't make a correct management of the odds, which led me to lose to a last turn crit, when it was easily avoidable.

- I don't consider myself overly aggresive, I think there are those games where you can play safely since the match-up kind of allows you to and there's no need to take any risks, and there are the ones where you have to be smartly aggresive, since due to the match-up you're always going to be behind and it's on you to bring yourself back, aka: Don't be a pussy if you're in a bad spot lol. I play based on what I and only I think is correct, people can give their opinions, I may agree with them or no. When I try to make predictions I try to also think what my opponent may be thinking, like: In what way could I get in a good spot, doing x.., doing y... and based on that I make my moves, and don't get me wrong, this does not mean I'm always gonna get every prediction right, something could go wrong if you play too recklessly.

Is there any particular thing you "figured out" to go from a solid player to a very good one?

Also, is Ping Pong the best anime? y/y

Buena suerte en las finales ^^

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
- Poek definitely is one of the players that's been impressing me, I knew of his potential prior to WCoP XI, but it is just unbelievebable how much has he achieved in so little time

- I think Tamahome is one of the people that has helped me the most, I came from being a scared bitch who was nervous about playing CBB in OST r3 to a really succesful player now, and I think I owe that to all of the advice and support he's given me

- I think that is what makes the metagame so dynamic and crazy at the same time, and I really like that.

- Yes, in catalan now: çuçk

- This game is probably the one I regret the most, this was the first time I ever played SM in a official tournament, so there was a lack of awareness from my side during the battle, and also I didn't make a correct management of the odds, which led me to lose to a last turn crit, when it was easily avoidable.

- I don't consider myself overly aggresive, I think there are those games where you can play safely since the match-up kind of allows you to and there's no need to take any risks, and there are the ones where you have to be smartly aggresive, since due to the match-up you're always going to be behind and it's on you to bring yourself back, aka: Don't be a pussy if you're in a bad spot lol. I play based on what I and only I think is correct, people can give their opinions, I may agree with them or no. When I try to make predictions I try to also think what my opponent may be thinking, like: In what way could I get in a good spot, doing x.., doing y... and based on that I make my moves, and don't get me wrong, this does not mean I'm always gonna get every prediction right, something could go wrong if you play too recklessly.
I was more referring to someone under the radar

Posho

local gaymer weeb
Is there any particular thing you "figured out" to go from a solid player to a very good one?

Also, is Ping Pong the best anime? y/y

Buena suerte en las finales ^^
Probably, you need confidence in your own skills, and also people who support you in your runs, it's always nice to have a group of people spamming the forums whenever you get a win hahaha, frenchies im looking at you ;P

Best one is undoubtly Dragon Ball Super lol. But I liked ping-pong the animation oo

Gracias por el apoyo n.n

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
congratulations brother posho, go and win Smogon Tour.

1. how do I become like you
2. favourite food
3. favourite drink
4. how badly will ben gay lose to you
5. favourite boardgame
6. is pokemon 5d chess
7. favourite gen 2 player

thanks and goooooooo poshooooooo *_*

Posho

local gaymer weeb
congratulations brother posho, go and win Smogon Tour.

1. how do I become like you
2. favourite food
3. favourite drink
4. how badly will ben gay lose to you
5. favourite boardgame
6. is pokemon 5d chess
7. favourite gen 2 player

thanks and goooooooo poshooooooo *_*
1. Say cuck endlessly
2. Chicken
3. Coffee
4. It should be close ;_;
5. Draughts maybe?
6. Never thought of that lol, but yes.
7. d0nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)