OU Teambuilding Workshop v2 [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Intro:

Welcome to the SM OU Teambuilding Workshop! The purpose of this thread is to supply the general public with a workshop of experienced and proficient builders who can produce solid teams based around whatever the individual requesting a starting point may ask for. Here, we'll take requested starting points or cores of 1-2 Pokemon and produce a team based around it, post it here, and include a detailed description of our teambuilding process to hopefully help others improve their building toolkit.
Rules:

1. To request a core, simply post the sets and have a brief description providing an overview of how the core works/what it does. Please make sure your core is viable and synergistic! If you're looking for core ideas, check out the Good Cores thread. Also, please stick to Pokemon ranked on the Viability Rankings.
2. Please limit your cores to a maximum of 2 Pokemon.
3. Please do not delete or significantly edit your post once you've posted, as it could lead to difficulty keeping track of the slew of cores posted here.
4. Please do not PM or VM builders to build quickly. We all have busy schedules; we're going to get to your core when we can.
5. Please do not ask us to rate or modify an already fully constructed or nearly fully constructed teams. We're here to build, not rate.
6. You may only request one core at a time. Once your core team request has been finished, you are free to make another request.
7. The workshop will close from time to time as we get full on requests. Typically, it will be locked during these periods, but if you notice it is closed and not locked, please do not post a request!
8. Any Pokemon ranked below B on the Viability Rankings may not be included in a full core—this means that if you wanted to request something with a B- or lower Pokemon, you must request that Pokemon alone.
9. When we're looking for additional builders to join, we will make a post and edit the title accordingly to let the public know. Please do not ask to join if we do not say we are in need of builders.
10. Please understand that we deal with a lot of cores, so we may not build your core every time you post one. Additionally, if I do not believe your core workable or practical I won't add it to the list of requests. When posting a core it is highly encouraged to give a description.
Request Post Template:

Here is a template for request posts to make things a bit easier on you guys while keeping things uniform. Note that this is not required but is recommended. If you would like to include sprites or models in your post, visit this site.
Code:
(Sprites or Models Here)
[hide=Set(s)][/hide]
[b]Description:[/b]

(Description Text Goes Here)
Requests:

Last edited:

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Team Archive 1-100
- tigers jaw
- tigers jaw
- tigers jaw
- false
- snowy
- snowy
- snowy
- hayburner
- snowy
- team pokepals
- hayburner
- hayburner
- snowy
- hayburner
- snowy
- wally the bully
- hayburner
- snowy
- snowy
- team pokepals
- snowy
- hayburner
- hayburner
- false
- snowy
- starry blanket

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah a whole three posts is gonna have a massive effect on a 253-post l:p ratio

Anyway, could I get this core plz:

IDRC about exact sets 'cause I ultimately think that it's kinda dependent on the build being used; basically I want some kind of Hoopa-U VoltTurn squad w/ Rotom-W, whether that means hazard stack or just VoltTurners+breakers; the only thing I'll say is that I don't want like Scarf Hoopa-U or any nonsense like that; I want it to function as a wallbreaker here.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Bonemerang
- Will-O-Wisp

Nothing has changed for me since April so I still want a team built around Marowak-A. I love the design and typing of it, but haven't seen too many ways to build an OU team with it. I don't have a preference about team style. Perhaps this set can be a starting point (but can be changed at the builder's discretion)

Thanks in advance! Maybe this time I won't wait over 5 months and still not have a team

TP Edit: I added the Alolan Marowak sprite

Last edited by a moderator:

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power

Description:

It is a really nice wallbreaker (like primarina) but it isn't used in OU because it is really weak to rocks and spikes. I think it's only switch is chansey (or blissey but it isn't really on the meta). You can build the archetype you want, I think it paired well with latios, because it has defog and it is a ground and electric resist. If you want, you can use groundium z set too, but I like this set more.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Victini @ Normalium Z
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Searing Shot
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

this looks really cool. it was recently mentioned as a reason for victini rising in the VR, and i've loved the "novelty" of z celebrate / happy hour pokemon since the release of SM. greninja was always super underwhelming, especially compared to its other sets (that are all a million times better), and jirachi is pretty cool i guess. set can be changed up i guess; i just c/p'd the one from the analysis. never used it idk how optimal it is (or if there are even other decent options).

edit: also false stop being a like whore we all know you deleted a bunch of posts to artificially up your ratio that's like the smogon equivalent of liposuction you baby.

edit2: realized i forgot to mention, but i'd prefer an offense build. tnks.

Last edited:

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt / Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

With Duggy gone, this thing actually stands a chance thanks to its powerful STABs and good move pool. I went with Taunt + Calm Mind because I hate stall, but WoW, Focus Blast, Thunderbolt, and Substitute I think are all viable. Thanks!

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword

Since I've seen this pokemon is so good and its rise in the Viability Ranking, I wanted to build something with it but I've built shit teams. Well, this pokemon is an awesome wallbreaker and it has a good speed tier. You can change the moves but don't make it scarf if it isn't necessary (I don't like scarf kartana lol)

Thanks in advance

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Chandy is an interesting option, as it hits insanely hard due to its amazing dual stab. It can deal with things like ClefToxSteela, is a soft check to things like Magearna and ZardY (has fallen off a bit), and no defensive backbone wants to switch in to this. I personally prefer Fire Blast/Overheat, but the rest of the set is standard. I find it easy to build around Gengar, but still haven't successfully built a good Chandy team due to its speed and trash defensive typing. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Despite being one of the uglier Pokémon ever created, Mega Heracross is still a Pokémon I really like, and since it's apparently getting rarer and rarer on the ladder, I'd like to see a team built around it. Standard set, feel free to change stuff tho.

Btw, if possible please build Bulky Offense as it is, in my opinion, the playstyle Heracross works best in and overall my favorite to use.
Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
upload_2017-9-19_15-29-8.gif

Magearna @ Fightinium Z / Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Calm Mind
This has always been a personal favorite set of mine, but Ive always had trouble building around it. I don't really have a preference when it comes to play style, so build it however you think is best.

Attachments

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire

Description: Specs Lele is a very good breaker that saw a lot of usage recently on the ladder on teams such as Kanto's and Gondra's HOs, and I'd like to see what you guys can come up with. Would prefer bulky offense, but I don't really mind if it's another playstyle. Thanks a lot in advance!

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-Turn
Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- U-Turn
- Scald

This is a well-known core - Ash-Gren + Pelipper wear down on each other's checks and then proceed to get Gren to transform, where it then proceeds to sweep the rest of the team. U-Turn on both mons allow for a VoltTurn core that ensures that they can pivot out of each other's checks for another team member to handle. I've tried building with this but I've gotten nowhere with it. Thanks!

Heatran @ Groundium Z / Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power / Solar Beam
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Atk / 124 Def / 16 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
Haven't been paying very much attention to the meta for the last three months, but Wisptran + SD Zor strikes me as a very durable core. Trapping for things like Chansey, Pex, as well as weakening common switches like Zygarde with Wisp is nice, and the Z-move of choice is a great way get a lot of damage off. Zor is for U-turn as well as capitalizing on weakened/burned CB threats in the meta.

Either Z-move is fine, or even Power Herb / Air Balloon if that helps somehow.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake / Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes / Ice Beam / U-turn

I think this two mons have really good sinergy. M-Pinsir deals with the fat Grass-type that AshNinja hates, while this other deal with Tyranitar and most Rock and Fire-types. I would like some BO playstyle if could be possible.
Thanks you in advance :)!

MegaStarUniverse

Banned deucer.
Heatran + Tapu Koko

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 52 HP / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Heatran eases the match up vs things like Ferrothorn which Tapu Koko has Problems with and its extra coverage for things like Celesteela. These sets also annoy Balance a lot since Koko has brave bird for Bulu and Tangrowth and Tran has Taunt which handles a lot. Overall its a powerful core and i would like something to build around these two :heart: (PS- You can change sets if you want) Also Heatran ev's is to give it a extra leftovers number while Koko's ev's outspeed Weavile and under and gives it a extra 40 HP ev's for some bulk.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Description:

I always liked the combination of BandTar and of sword dance Drill, and now that duggy is gone, I really feel like sand team are going to be great again. But, because of my low teambuilding skills, I wasn't ever able to end up with something other than a thrash team.
I would really like something like a bulky offence, then I always felt like it was the playstyle in which these two mons were truly able to shine

Last edited:
mega scizor+heatran balance

as requested by OverlordDerp

a core such as this restrict builds massively, and will always leave you weak to a couple of prominent threats. naturally, msciz really wants to be paired with toxapex, but this can't really be done with this without either using ferrothorn or driller to not lose to koko as your secondary steel. as this is the sort of core that desperately needs a koko answer and cannot run ferrothorn without losing to opposing heatran, i threw on a 'mon that sees less usage now than it did around wcop time, gastrodon. it acts as the team's primary buffer vs the aformentioned pokemon, plus a plethora of other special attackers including magearna, hp fire diancie, keldeo, greninja, and gengar. it's cool as fuck for the role compression. after that, seeing as pex isn't on this team, a zardy check was desperately needed. scarf latios brings this, as well as general speed control & offensive presence, and, probably most importantly, hazard removal. this stops the team completely folding to hazard stack, most notably spikes ash greninja. at this point, the team was looking woefully weak to zygarde, and needed stealth rock. enter clefable, which brings not only that, but a more substantial lopunny+medicham check, and a better means with which to force out sableye than heatran. furthermore, calm mind clefable pairs nicely with knock off sciz+magma tran, as they all work towards weakening steel-types and removing items like shed shell from pex, leftovers from celesteela, etc. to round out the team, i thought a solid breaker and ground resist/lando-t check was needed. threw on an sd z-fly lando-t of our own for this purpose. mad offensive presence is nice and all.

~~~~~notes on the team~~~~~

the sciz spread enables it to switch into shift gear calm mind magearna, considering stealth rock, and beat it 1v1 with swords dance. heatran's spread is just a leftovers number and a then a dump into spdef. there are a few matchups here and there like rain, bug buzz volcarona, and pinsir which are really hard, but can be beaten with smart play. here's an alternate version which trades matchups with this one.

~~~~~bop~~~~~

wanna thank false for letting me in on this, as i've always seen it as the best project on the subforum. taking sd kartana by Hicron and dd altaria by dukevesper. should have these posted within the next few days.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Suicune is one of the best UU Pokemon to use in OU and is a fearsome Calm Mind sweeper and is good at wasting opposing Pokemon's PP, I've always been interested in using Protect + Sub set in OU seeing it have good success in high level play and allowing builder to use Suicune on any type of team.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
i have always wanted to use this mon but every time i actually try to build around it it fails horribly.

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Drain Punch

I want a team with this great core, its awesome how it works because Hawlucha becomes one of the best setup sweepers in the tier. Also, doesn't matter koko's move set because all koko movesets work very good.
I want a team with this core cause I can't build a solid team.

Hi, builders! I'm requesting a team around M-Mawile and Spikes Ash-Greninja:

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate / Hyper Cutter
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off / Thunder Punch / Fire Fang

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs / Waterium Z
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

This wallbreaking duo can pressure each other's checks and plow through fat balance cores with their brute strength and Spikes support. As a bonus, their priority moves (and Ash-Gren's speed) can tear offensive teams appart once their checks are weakened. I'm pretty open with you changing the sets, spreads, items, teambuild and whatnot (I'd really like Spikes to stay however, but if the final version of the team becomes better without it, then so be it). I'll even let you use regular Greninja with Spikes if Ash-Gren doesn't work out.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe or 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature / Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse / Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam

I guess Extrasensory could be thrown somewhere in there to deal with Toxapex, M-Venusaur and Keldeo.

Thanks in advance! Ü

If it's not too much, I would like you guys to build around Electrium Z KB and specs koko. These two mons are known to work really well together with Kyurem taking care of ground types allowing Koko to spam spec volt.

Kyurem-Black @ Electrium Z
Ability: Teravolt
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Roost

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hopefully this core interest you enough to build around, thanks in advance.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)