SM OU (peaked top 50) Reckless Wind: Staraptor Volt-Turn Offense!

If one were to look through my first few rmt's compared to now... shudders.

This team, and notably its centerpiece, will always hold a place in my heart... and that's because this is the first team I have ever used to reach top 50 with on the non-suspect ladder. What's more, I did it with my favourite flying pokemon, the BL-cursed Staraptor! Let's just get into it.

I started with these two, a fantastic volt-turn pairing as they really abuse each other's switch-ins.

I needed a knock off user that can force in Skarmory to remove the potential shed shell, and a wallbreaker that can be brought in with this volt-turn core. Mawile-M fits the job nicely.

I was stacking a ground weakness and didn't have a fighting resist, plus I needed hazards. Lando-t fits very nicely here, forming/extending a bunch of cores such as increased volt-turn support, a double intimidate with mawile-m, and a 2S-1G (2 steel, 1 ground) basis for the team.

I added Ash Greninja and Tapu Bulu because I wanted an offensive core that can provide a better rain matchup. Also, Bulu provides a second wallbreaker that my volt-turn cores can abuse. Ash Gren + Mawile is a tried and true offensive core anyway, and adding Ash Gren also lets me hazard stack with Lando-t.

The Team

Staraptor (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Final Gambit / Close Combat

The Dark Angel Pokemon itself. Staraptor's Brave Bird is the bane of many offensive teams once the flying resist goes down. Double Edge lets it hit electric types that would resist its other STAB (and can OHKO koko after rocks!), U-Turn provides momentum. The last move is a tossup, with Close Combat threatening rock and steel types such as Heatran and Tyranitar, or Final Gambit letting you take out something in a pinch and preserving momentum.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 140 HP / 192 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Standard AV Magnezone, providing a check to threats like Lele. Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Fire target the steel types that Magnezone is known for trapping. Volt switch lets it damage steel types while not being a momentum sap, and flash cannon is a secondary STAB for things like ground types.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

The almighty OU king himself, defensive Lando-t is trusted with blanket checking half of the metagame, providing trusty old Sneaky Pebbles, gaining momentum with a U-turn, and weakening opposing Lando-t and other ground types for my plethora of physical attackers to run through.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

A fantastic and highly splashable offensive wincon, spikes Ash Greninja works well with defensive Lando-t to hazard stack and destroy tanks with specs-boosted STABS, or frail offensive teams with incredibly powerful priority in Water Shuriken. He also forms a dark spam wallbreaker/sweeper core with...

Mawile-Mega (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Mawile, an incredible wallbreaker in OU. She fits incredibly well with Staraptor, forcing opposing defensive Lando to lose half its hp from a Play Rough, and fail to stop Staraptor anymore. Its powerful Knock Off forces Skarmory to become prone to Zone's trapping. SD + Sucker Punch also threatens offensive teams.

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer

Grassium Z Tapu Bulu is a great wallbreaker that appreciates Zone's ability to remove double grass resists. In exchange, it removes answers to Greninja's water STABs through Swords Dancing and blowing through threats like AV Tangrowth with a Z-Wood Hammer. It also improves the rain matchup a ton. Superpower is used to hit Heatran and be a second way to remove steel types aside from relying on Magnezone.

Some considerations I've made for this team are making Lando-T a sash lead and turning the team into Hyper Offense, and I've also considered making Bulu Rockium Z to alleviate the fire type issue this team has. Your input on any and all changes is greatly appreciated :]

It can't wallbreak if you click x :]

It's losing a lot of usage, but every time it has the opportunity to come in freely, I lose something. Staraptor can ohko it though.

The team does struggle with fire types, so seeing one of these means you have to really break Ash Gren answers early and play carefully with Gren itself. If this thing bloom dooms on the switch though...

Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Final Gambit

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Mawile-Mega (F) @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer

This first competitive year has been quite a wild journey. Here's a big thank you to all the good people of my university's draft league, you guys really drove me to improve my battling and teambuilding skills <3

Shoutouts to the good folk of NJNP's discord for never believing in the digimon I build around, you guys are my metagame newspaper and good friends too rank me up plz

You top players may not know me [yet ;) ], but I can't possibly list all the cool top ladder and tour players that really made me want to push my way to at least the top of the ladder.

A very special shoutouts to Ktutverde for unknowingly inspiring me since I entered competitive mons with his really cool teams, and telling me something that will stick with me for as long as I'm in this weird but wonderful community :)

"You can build pretty much everything in OU, the real tier with no limits to creativity!"

Until next time~
The Dark Angel

specs and scarf lele are really annoying to face with this team, magearna wreaking havok too easily after its set up, since u dont really have a switch in for either unless mag doesnt have focus blast, i would replace magnezone for av slowking for this reason, which really isnt a good mon in general, but really walls both of these mons well, and hits pretty hard as well. can also leave behind a future sight to hit other mons and regain hp on the switch. id also suggest trading out raptor, but idt u would do that (have mercy 0n ur soul)

specs and scarf lele are really annoying to face with this team, magearna wreaking havok too easily after its set up, since u dont really have a switch in for either unless mag doesnt have focus blast, i would replace magnezone for av slowking for this reason, which really isnt a good mon in general, but really walls both of these mons well, and hits pretty hard as well. can also leave behind a future sight to hit other mons and regain hp on the switch. id also suggest trading out raptor, but idt u would do that (have mercy 0n ur soul)
Hey, thanks for the rate :]

Between AV magnezone (a lele pivot), mawile-m, and bulu, lele hasn't proven to be an issue to the team. You are right that SG magearna can destroy me, but such is the nature of most HO teams in all honesty. I rely on final gambit + shuriken to beat fightinium z sets. If it's dual dance boltbeam magearna, av magnezone can beat it.

The change of av slowking > magnezone is interesting :] However, I think I will pass on it for many reasons. For one, this actually worsens my magearna matchup as it sets up on slowking and blows it away with tbolt. Secondly, removing magnezone means that I immensely struggle vs skarmory, celesteela, etc.

While I acknowledge that staraptor is not exactly a top tier OU threat, it is what has won me many games and I wouldn't have peaked without it. Of course, there is perhaps a better alternative to it. If you have some idea as to what scarfer can improve the fire matchup while retaining the cleaning power against a skarm/celesteela/ferrothorn/scizor-less team, I'd be happy to hear it :] I've considered latios, but it really lacks the cleaning power that staraptor has.

Hey, thanks for the rate :]

Between AV magnezone (a lele pivot), mawile-m, and bulu, lele hasn't proven to be an issue to the team. You are right that SG magearna can destroy me, but such is the nature of most HO teams in all honesty. I rely on final gambit + shuriken to beat fightinium z sets. If it's dual dance boltbeam magearna, av magnezone can beat it.

The change of av slowking > magnezone is interesting :] However, I think I will pass on it for many reasons. For one, this actually worsens my magearna matchup as it sets up on slowking and blows it away with tbolt. Secondly, removing magnezone means that I immensely struggle vs skarmory, celesteela, etc.

While I acknowledge that staraptor is not exactly a top tier OU threat, it is what has won me many games and I wouldn't have peaked without it. Of course, there is perhaps a better alternative to it. If you have some idea as to what scarfer can improve the fire matchup while retaining the cleaning power against a skarm/celesteela/ferrothorn/scizor-less team, I'd be happy to hear it :] I've considered latios, but it really lacks the cleaning power that staraptor has.
Av slowking takes like 20 or 25 from a tbolt lol, as well as having fire blast to kill it

Hi, just a quick suggestion, you can try running Iron Head on Mawile to help with Venusaur seeing as you have a Magnezone to trap Ferrothorn and Scizor.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Iron Head

This particular set is unconventional but it works if the team has a Magnezone to support it. Play Rough and Sucker Punch are mandatory. Thunder Punch lets you deal with Toxapex, Celesteela and Skarmory. Mawile needs Iron Head to beat Venusaur 1v1. I noticed your team can lose very easily to it because Staraptor is your only real way of doing some actual damage to it and it gets worn down very easily from SR + Recoil and you don't have hazard removal. On paper, Venusaur looks like it beats 5 of 6 of your team excluding Staraptor.

Secondly, you can try speed creeping Magnezone a bit as some players will tend to speed creep Scizor to ensure it outspeed standard AV sets.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: 140 HP / 180 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

0+ SpA Slowking Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 154-182 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Magearna Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 98-116 (24.9 - 29.5%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
Not the smogon spread but if its just for magearna this works well

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hey, good job Kurai, I haven't forgotten you since that normal spam revamp project:)
That's a pretty scary staraptor team, I especially like the combo staraptor mawile to cover defensive and offensive playstyles^^

Your tag didn't work but hopefully I saw your post, and it's the best one I've seen in several weeks, it's not hard to see you put effort into making it work!
Obviously there isn't much to say about the build, you do have good synergy, wincons etc. Skarmory is definitely not going to wall this guys, knock+zone +staraptor is a really cool idea.
I noticed that despite being a voltturn team, you are more likely to be worn down by hazards and switching than your opponent because 4/6 mons are slow and don't enjoy taking rock damage.
So I would like to suggest a few things that would help make the team even more agressive, given that you are closer to HO than bulkyoffense, due to a lack of reliable gren switchin, magearna answer and a slowness that gives specs lele free kills every time it enters the field.

One thing I'm pretty sure would improve the team is Mimikyu>Tapu Bulu. Tapubulu provides a waterresist and zygarde check, but is not going to get more than one kill before being revenge killed. In addition specs hydropump+rocks is too much for him to wall. My suggestion that may look weird is using mimikyu and losing a water/ground resist, because it increases significantly your matchup vs anything that isn't stall, indeed you just need to trapsteels, hit with mawile, bring mimi SD and win. You can also use mimkyu as an emergency exit versus SG magearna (CM+leftovers gets +6 on the face of magnezone) and vs zygarde/greninja. My second suggestion is trying Focus Sash Landorus:

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Swords Dance

Since your own landorus will struggle to get rocks up and will give free switches to watertypes, better get rocks up turn1 and force your opponent to choose between using stealth rock or breaking the sash, the former option giving you a free SD+kill. It is a nightmare for balance and offense because it always gets rocks and prevents excadrill spin. You can also click EQ on the face of a greninja turn1 and therefore prevent any watershuriken/scarf icebeam sweep late game!

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Mimi helps a lot vs tapu lele by forcing it to click psychic and risk a shadow kill, or switching out a giving you a SD +kill, it is faster than bulu which is a boon.

(Another thing that can help you get more spikes and keep momentum would be:

Greninja-Ash @ Waterium Z
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Helps switching moves!)

I hope I helped: I myself don't like being suggested many changes, but turning landorus into a sash-breaker lead and adding an emergency exit+sweeper like mimikyu is to me the smallest and easiest choices that wouldn't affect the global synergy of the team:)
Keep on making quality posts Kurai and see you soon!

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Hi, interesting team you've got there. Staraptor is one of my personal favourite mons, I had a lot of fun with it in SM UU before it got banned, so naturally I got excited when I saw an RMT that not only had Staraptor in it, but also had reasonable success on the ladder (Congrats for getting to the top 50 btw). However, I do believe that there are some flaws with this team that need to be addressed in order for Staraptor to be used to the best of it's potential.

1. Lack of Defog
This was also briefly mentioned before, but nobody exactly suggested a change for it, but your main wallbreaker, Staraptor is quite easily worn down, especially due to the fact that it relies heavily on recoil moves for it to wallbreak effectively. When this is combined with damage from Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs, Garchomp's Rough skin, mons with high HP stats and mons with rocky helmets, Staraptor will quite often faint prematurely. Because of Staraptor's already short lifespan, ideally you want it taking as little damage as possible when coming in, which is definitely aided by the nature of volt/turn cores. However, if rocks are on the field, Staraptor is taking 25% of its health when coming in, which ultimately results in Staraptor dying to recoil even faster before it can effectively break through teams.

2. Lack of Speed control.
The fastest mon on this team is scarf Staraptor, which in a metagame where common scarfers are at around the base 108+ mark, means that Staraptor's speed as a scarfer is quite underwhelming and means that you basically end up having to defensively checking most common choice scarfed mons. This is quite problematic since you're running an offensive team and your only forms of recovery are with Horn Leech from Tapu Bulu and slow recovery from grassy terrain, and ultimately results in your team easily getting worn down by offense and struggling immensly with common wallbreakers such as Kyurem Black, Charizard Y and Mega Medicham. Late Game cleaners such as Ash Greninja also have an easy time vs this team, since it's main check, Tapu Bulu only has to have taken 16% of it's health and it's 2HKO'd by Greninja's Hydro Pump, and if Volcarona wins a speed tie vs Staraptor, it can proceed to 6-0 your team.

3. Lando + Bulu
This is a basic Synergy issue, since Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain weaken's Landorus' Earthquakes, which can make people who use this team hesitant to bring in Lando when Grassy terrain is up, or hesitant to bring in Bulu in the first place. Ktütverde attempted to fix this by replacing Tapu Bulu with Mimikyu, and while this does give the team a nice secondary wallbreaker, this means that the team is significantly weaker to rain and hard hitting water types such as Greninja. Furthermore I don't believe that Tapu Lele is a significant enough issue for this team, since it's already running Assault Vest Magnezone, which is barely even 2HKO'd by a Specs HP fire.

In order to deal with these issues, I believe that a minor structure change is necessary so that Staraptor isn't your primary speed control and so that your wallbreakers have good synergy with the rest of the team. Some structures I'd experiment with are:
1. Staraptor / Latias / Lando / Ash Greninja / Mega-Medicham / Tapu Koko
2. Staraptor / Keldeo / Lando / Latios / Mega-Pinsir / Magnezone
3. Staraptor / Tapu Koko / Lando / Ash Greninja / Kyurem Black /Mega-Scizor

The first structure change replaces Mega Mawile with Mega Medicham as your secondary wallbreaker, replaces magnezone with Tapu Koko, and replaces Tapu Bulu with Latias. Tapu Koko makes this team a more fast paced offense and electric terrain can boost Mega Medicham's Thunder Punches, which can further boost it's wallbreaking capabilities and Bulu is replaced with Scarf Latias to provide this team with speed control, hazard removal and Healing Wish support so that one of the breakers can be restored to full health. I will note however that this team does have a horrid matchup vs Tapu Lele. An example of this is shown below:
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Close Combat

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

The second structure change is more of a birdspam offense team where Mega Pinsir becomes your secondary wallbreaker. Magnezone plays a crucial role to this team by being able to trap Skarmory and Celesteela, Keldeo is chosen on this team as it's main speed control since Mega Pinsir makes this team even weaker to rocks, so I feel like it's important to have a defogger that isn't easily worn down. Latios is good for this, since you're still maintaining a lot of offensive pressure, but you're provided with a defogger who also has access to recover. I guess if I were to give this structure any flaws, it would be that offensive Lando looks troublesome for it and Dragon Dance Zygarde could be troublesome, so I'd strongly recommend using Icy Wind on Keldeo with this sort of team.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Latios @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature [
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

The third structure uses Kyurem Black + Scizor as your secondary wallbreaking core. Choice Scarf Tapu Koko is your primary speed control which to be completely honest feels a little excessive, but it does improve your matchup vs rain. It also boosts Kyurem Black's Fusion Bolts, making it an even scarier wallbreaker. Since you've got two mons who are weak to rocks, Mega Scizor becomes especially helpful since it's able to remove hazards but also have access to recovery. Since I don't really think it's a good idea to have 3 choice locked mons, especially on this team, Greninja was changed to Waterium Z. This team however is pretty weak to both Mega Charizards. If Staraptor is changed to a Choice Band Set with quick attack, it can however quite easily put it in range of Greninja's water Shuriken. That being said, with the Three Attacks + Roost set gaining a lot of popularity, it might be worth sticking to the choice scarf set, since you'll be able to possibly claim some kills on both Charizards.

Staraptor @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Quick Attack/Close Combat
- U-turn

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

All of these structures still maintain an offensive archetype with a solid volt/turn core and keep Staraptor's role as a main wallbreaker, but help provide Staraptor with the support that it needs to effectively do so. I do have to once again congratulate you for getting to the top 50 on the ladder with your Staraptor team and praise you for using the mon, it really is sad seeing it forever in BL. I hope you enjoyed my rate and good luck with the team :)

Last edited:
Honestly though, Idk why now people are using staraptor. There are way better scarfs that fit the team such as lele or keldeo. Staraptor is a p underwhelming scarfer in ou cuz of all the steel and such, and he just doesnt have the breaking power without something like a band. Another issue is the fact he has recovery but you cant afford to run it and so is easily run down by a smart player. Please consider using lele, because there is a reason raptor is bl, and the fact arema trap left doesnt help it that much. Lele even complimebts the team extremely well with a psychic immunity and 2 resists, so it womt bother u if they have something that spams psychic attacks either.

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi, interesting team you've got there. Staraptor is one of my personal favourite mons, I had a lot of fun with it in SM UU before it got banned, so naturally I got excited when I saw an RMT that not only had Staraptor in it, but also had reasonable success on the ladder (Congrats for getting to the top 50 btw). However, I do believe that there are some flaws with this team that need to be addressed in order for Staraptor to be used to the best of it's potential.

1. Lack of Defog
This was also briefly mentioned before, but nobody exactly suggested a change for it, but your main wallbreaker, Staraptor is quite easily worn down, especially due to the fact that it relies heavily on recoil moves for it to wallbreak effectively. When this is combined with damage from Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs, Garchomp's Rough skin, mons with high HP stats and mons with rocky helmets, Staraptor will quite often faint prematurely. Because of Staraptor's already short lifespan, ideally you want it taking as little damage as possible when coming in, which is definitely aided by the nature of volt/turn cores. However, if rocks are on the field, Staraptor is taking 25% of its health when coming in, which ultimately results in Staraptor dying to recoil even faster before it can effectively break through teams.

The fastest mon on this team is scarf Staraptor, which in a metagame where common scarfers are at around the base 108+ mark, means that Staraptor's speed as a scarfer is quite underwhelming and means that you basically end up having to defensively checking most common choice scarfed mons. This is quite problematic since you're running an offensive team and your only forms of recovery are with Horn Leech from Tapu Bulu and slow recovery from grassy terrain, and ultimately results in your team easily getting worn down by offense and struggling immensly with common wallbreakers such as Kyurem Black, Charizard Y and Mega Medicham. Late Game cleaners such as Ash Greninja also have an easy time vs this team, since it's main check, Tapu Bulu only has to have taken 16% of it's health and it's 2HKO'd by Greninja's Hydro Pump, and if Volcarona wins a speed tie vs Staraptor, it can proceed to 6-0 your team.

3. Lando + Bulu
This is a basic Synergy issue, since Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain weaken's Landorus' Earthquakes, which can make people who use this team hesitant to bring in Lando when Grassy terrain is up, or hesitant to bring in Bulu in the first place. Ktütverde attempted to fix this by replacing Tapu Bulu with Mimikyu, and while this does give the team a nice secondary wallbreaker, this means that the team is significantly weaker to rain and hard hitting water types such as Greninja. Furthermore I don't believe that Tapu Lele is a significant enough issue for this team, since it's already running Assault Vest Magnezone, which is barely even 2HKO'd by a Specs HP fire.

In order to deal with these issues, I believe that a minor structure change is necessary so that Staraptor isn't your primary speed control and so that your wallbreakers have good synergy with the rest of the team. Some structures I'd experiment with are:

The first structure change replaces Mega Mawile with Mega Medicham as your secondary wallbreaker, replaces magnezone with Tapu Koko, and replaces Tapu Bulu with Latias. Tapu Koko makes this team a more fast paced offense and electric terrain can boost Mega Medicham's Thunder Punches, which can further boost it's wallbreaking capabilities and Bulu is replaced with Scarf Latias to provide this team with speed control, hazard removal and Healing Wish support so that one of the breakers can be restored to full health. I will note however that this team does have a horrid matchup vs Tapu Lele. An example of this is shown below:
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Close Combat

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

The second structure change is more of a birdspam offense team where Mega Pinsir becomes your secondary wallbreaker. Magnezone plays a crucial role to this team by being able to trap Skarmory and Celesteela, Keldeo is chosen on this team as it's main speed control since Mega Pinsir makes this team even weaker to rocks, so I feel like it's important to have a defogger that isn't easily worn down. Latios is good for this, since you're still maintaining a lot of offensive pressure, but you're provided with a defogger who also has access to recover. I guess if I were to give this structure any flaws, it would be that offensive Lando looks troublesome for it and Dragon Dance Zygarde could be troublesome, so I'd strongly recommend using Icy Wind on Keldeo with this sort of team.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Latios @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature [
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

The third structure uses Kyurem Black + Scizor as your secondary wallbreaking core. Choice Scarf Tapu Koko is your primary speed control which to be completely honest feels a little excessive, but it does improve your matchup vs rain. It also boosts Kyurem Black's Fusion Bolts, making it an even scarier wallbreaker. Since you've got two mons who are weak to rocks, Mega Scizor becomes especially helpful since it's able to remove hazards but also have access to recovery. Since I don't really think it's a good idea to have 3 choice locked mons, especially on this team, Greninja was changed to Waterium Z. This team however is pretty weak to both Mega Charizards. If Staraptor is changed to a Choice Band Set with quick attack, it can however quite easily put it in range of Greninja's water Shuriken. That being said, with the Three Attacks + Roost set gaining a lot of popularity, it might be worth sticking to the choice scarf set, since you'll be able to possibly claim some kills on both Charizards.

Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Scizor @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

All of these structures still maintain an offensive archetype with a solid volt/turn core and keep Staraptor's role as a main wallbreaker, but help provide Staraptor with the support that it needs to effectively do so. I do have to once again congratulate you for getting to the top 50 on the ladder with your Staraptor team and praise you for using the mon, it really is sad seeing it forever in BL. I hope you enjoyed my rate and good luck with the team :)
You made a post with real quality 3017 but maybe should you rather post it in the threads SMOU Weekly Research or TeamBuilding Competition. The main goal of the RMT thread is to help people fix weaknesses in their teams, and you cannot tell them "ok I like your team now look what you can do with a staraptor". The best is to suggest replacing one mon or, if needed, two, but three is way too much and these are your teams, not KuraiTenshi26 's anymore. If you believe his team isn't built properly help him improve it by making really small changes, because what we want is to improve teams, not using them as a draft and restarting from one or two pokes, do you see what I mean?
I did enjoy the teams you posted, but again it makes Kurai feel his teambuilding went quite wrong.

I am maybe wrong, but I have posted many RMTs so far and gave a really quick look to such replies, because I just felt the user didn't understand my goal at all. The rules section also evokes: "HOW TO RATE [...] Many people just blindly suggest changes to the team, but I would argue that after a certain amount of changes, the team is no longer theirs, but you have built a new one. By attempting to make a team more efficient, you are suggesting material ranging from changing an EV spread [...]"

I hope I helped making understand what rating really means, and would like to finish by saying that a more effective way to keep rocks off the field than defog is to deter their use from turn1 by using dedicated leads, and use the playstyle called HO to overwhelm ur opponent by hitting hard and forcing them to retaliate, where mimikyu is much more useful that a bulu dying to swamperts icepunch and greninja's specs moves anyway.

Tell me if my use of words wasn't appropriate and good luck to you all raters and builders!

Hi, just a quick suggestion, you can try running Iron Head on Mawile to help with Venusaur seeing as you have a Magnezone to trap Ferrothorn and Scizor.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Iron Head

This particular set is unconventional but it works if the team has a Magnezone to support it. Play Rough and Sucker Punch are mandatory. Thunder Punch lets you deal with Toxapex, Celesteela and Skarmory. Mawile needs Iron Head to beat Venusaur 1v1. I noticed your team can lose very easily to it because Staraptor is your only real way of doing some actual damage to it and it gets worn down very easily from SR + Recoil and you don't have hazard removal. On paper, Venusaur looks like it beats 5 of 6 of your team excluding Staraptor.

Secondly, you can try speed creeping Magnezone a bit as some players will tend to speed creep Scizor to ensure it outspeed standard AV sets.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: 140 HP / 180 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Hey, thanks for the rate :] Venusaur is indeed a threat I forgot to mention, and I relied on keeping it low through maintaining momentum throughout the battle. A lure mawile set can indeed handle it and was a consideration, but knock off is essential to remove shed shells. Trying to fit both on the same set is hard, so I had to choose my counters in this sense. Good suggestions though and I'll definitely give some thought to them :]

Hey, good job Kurai, I haven't forgotten you since that normal spam revamp project:)
That's a pretty scary staraptor team, I especially like the combo staraptor mawile to cover defensive and offensive playstyles^^

Your tag didn't work but hopefully I saw your post, and it's the best one I've seen in several weeks, it's not hard to see you put effort into making it work!
Obviously there isn't much to say about the build, you do have good synergy, wincons etc. Skarmory is definitely not going to wall this guys, knock+zone +staraptor is a really cool idea.
I noticed that despite being a voltturn team, you are more likely to be worn down by hazards and switching than your opponent because 4/6 mons are slow and don't enjoy taking rock damage.
So I would like to suggest a few things that would help make the team even more agressive, given that you are closer to HO than bulkyoffense, due to a lack of reliable gren switchin, magearna answer and a slowness that gives specs lele free kills every time it enters the field.

One thing I'm pretty sure would improve the team is Mimikyu>Tapu Bulu. Tapubulu provides a waterresist and zygarde check, but is not going to get more than one kill before being revenge killed. In addition specs hydropump+rocks is too much for him to wall. My suggestion that may look weird is using mimikyu and losing a water/ground resist, because it increases significantly your matchup vs anything that isn't stall, indeed you just need to trapsteels, hit with mawile, bring mimi SD and win. You can also use mimkyu as an emergency exit versus SG magearna (CM+leftovers gets +6 on the face of magnezone) and vs zygarde/greninja. My second suggestion is trying Focus Sash Landorus:

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Swords Dance

Since your own landorus will struggle to get rocks up and will give free switches to watertypes, better get rocks up turn1 and force your opponent to choose between using stealth rock or breaking the sash, the former option giving you a free SD+kill. It is a nightmare for balance and offense because it always gets rocks and prevents excadrill spin. You can also click EQ on the face of a greninja turn1 and therefore prevent any watershuriken/scarf icebeam sweep late game!

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Mimi helps a lot vs tapu lele by forcing it to click psychic and risk a shadow kill, or switching out a giving you a SD +kill, it is faster than bulu which is a boon.

(Another thing that can help you get more spikes and keep momentum would be:

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Helps switching moves!)

I hope I helped: I myself don't like being suggested many changes, but turning landorus into a sash-breaker lead and adding an emergency exit+sweeper like mimikyu is to me the smallest and easiest choices that wouldn't affect the global synergy of the team:)
Keep on making quality posts Kurai and see you soon!
:D Thanks for the rate! Really like the changes. I agree with the team being very close to hyper offense, so making lando sash lead seems really optimal here. Mimikyu can still put in work vs rain too, checking kingdra and hawlucha. Will give them a try for sure :]

1. Lack of Defog

3. Lando + Bulu

Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Close Combat

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Latios @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature [
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Scizor @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

While this isn't a rate, what a glorious set of teams and tech to steal o.o Gonna have to give these a try too!
Honestly though, Idk why now people are using staraptor. There are way better scarfs that fit the team such as lele or keldeo. Staraptor is a p underwhelming scarfer in ou cuz of all the steel and such, and he just doesnt have the breaking power without something like a band. Another issue is the fact he has recovery but you cant afford to run it and so is easily run down by a smart player. Please consider using lele, because there is a reason raptor is bl, and the fact arema trap left doesnt help it that much. Lele even complimebts the team extremely well with a psychic immunity and 2 resists, so it womt bother u if they have something that spams psychic attacks either.
I got a ton of skepticism for using staraptor, so I understand where you're coming from :] The biggest reasons for using staraptor include... being a scarfer that isn't dead weight vs balance and stall when paired with magnezone (scarf lele/chomp/keldeo cannot pressure stall as well as staraptor can), and being a scarfer with naturally good power (can ohko koko guaranteed after 1 u-turn, can ohko lele unlike other popular scarfers). Thanks to metagame trends, things like toxapex now take 50% minimum from a scarf brave bird because of them having to run max spdef for ash greninja. Even lando is not a reliable answer to staraptor on this team, as mawile forces lando to lose at least half its hp. Also, lele + ash gren/mawile is an anti-synergy I'm not fond of due to removing my own priority, something my team has two abusers of.

Thanks for all of the advice, guys :]

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
You made a post with real quality 3017 but maybe should you rather post it in the threads SMOU Weekly Research or TeamBuilding Competition. The main goal of the RMT thread is to help people fix weaknesses in their teams, and you cannot tell them "ok I like your team now look what you can do with a staraptor". The best is to suggest replacing one mon or, if needed, two, but three is way too much and these are your teams, not KuraiTenshi26 's anymore. If you believe his team isn't built properly help him improve it by making really small changes, because what we want is to improve teams, not using them as a draft and restarting from one or two pokes, do you see what I mean?
I did enjoy the teams you posted, but again it makes Kurai feel his teambuilding went quite wrong.

I am maybe wrong, but I have posted many RMTs so far and gave a really quick look to such replies, because I just felt the user didn't understand my goal at all. The rules section also evokes: "HOW TO RATE [...] Many people just blindly suggest changes to the team, but I would argue that after a certain amount of changes, the team is no longer theirs, but you have built a new one. By attempting to make a team more efficient, you are suggesting material ranging from changing an EV spread [...]"

I hope I helped making understand what rating really means, and would like to finish by saying that a more effective way to keep rocks off the field than defog is to deter their use from turn1 by using dedicated leads, and use the playstyle called HO to overwhelm ur opponent by hitting hard and forcing them to retaliate, where mimikyu is much more useful that a bulu dying to swamperts icepunch and greninja's specs moves anyway.

Tell me if my use of words wasn't appropriate and good luck to you all raters and builders!

No this isn't your conventional rate. The post was designed to outline the flaws that the original team has, and provide the OP to with some structures that he could build around to work with that. Ultimately this should be much more useful than making one or two minor changes and still leaving the team with many of the same issues that it still had when the OP posted it - if not creating more. Also the core foundations of an offensive volt/turn team based around staraptor was still kept intact with all 3 of the possible approaches that I suggested that the OP could take.

In regards to your specific rate, I believe that while it's true that having a playstyle of HO can indeed potentially prevent rocks from entering the field, this doesn't exactly justify failing to even soft check common mons in the OU tier. Also the mentality of "Oh this is a HO, they're not going to get rocks up" is an especially bad approach to take when your primary wallbreaker is so easily worn down by hazards.

Furthermore, Landorus as your dedicated lead doesn't prevent your opponent from getting rocks up. Sure they might take chip damage as a result, but Lead Landorus doesn't even prevent opposing Landorus from getting rocks on the field. Any decent player should see that this team's primary wallbreaker is ridiculously easily worn down by hazards and would prioritise setting Stealth Rock as quickly as possible, even if that's at the expense of losing a mon, and the second your opponent gets these rocks up, you're immediately placed at a disadvantage, if you're going to use a dedicated lead, something like azelf or excadrill outclass Lando as a lead in a number of manners, and personally, in order to effectively fit Azelf or excadrill into this team would probably still result in having to make multiple changes to this team.

Tapu Bulus role on this team as a wallbreaker wasn't entirely this team's biggest issue. Tapu Bulu not only hits really hard, being able to OHKO Bulkier mons - even those who resist grass at +2 with grassium Z. Also magnezone and mawile heavily benefit from the addition of grassy terrain on the field. While mimikyu is able to potentially check a single threat, It can't exactly switch in on any of them, and it's ridiculously easily pressured once its disguise is broken. I'm not saying that bulu is an ideal rain check, however it does at least force rain abusers out, and removing bulu from this team causes more problems than it creates.

Finally, by making Lando a sash lead and removing Tapu Bulu, you remove all of your checks to zygarde, since nothing is able to freely switch into it. Mimikyu certainly doesn't act as even a soft check to Zygarde, since it is OHKO'd by a +1 thousand arrows after Stealth Rock, and without a life orb, mimikyu by running a jolly nature, you're only doing about 60%, which isn't nearly enough to stop it from killing you.

Honestly Staraptor is an awesome mon and I have to give credit to KuraiTenshi26 for getting to where he did on the ladder with this mon. I really hope that you take advantage of the feedback that I provided you with, and I wish you the best of luck with teambuilding in the future. I also look forward to one day being able to properly rate one of your teams and only having to make one or two minor changes :]

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
Its called staraptor deserves no glory man
No this isn't your conventional rate. The post was designed to outline the flaws that the original team has, and provide the OP to with some structures that he could build around to work with that. Ultimately this should be much more useful than making one or two minor changes and still leaving the team with many of the same issues that it still had when the OP posted it - if not creating more. Also the core foundations of an offensive volt/turn team based around staraptor was still kept intact with all 3 of the possible approaches that I suggested that the OP could take.

In regards to your specific rate, I believe that while it's true that having a playstyle of HO can indeed potentially prevent rocks from entering the field, this doesn't exactly justify failing to even soft check common mons in the OU tier. Also the mentality of "Oh this is a HO, they're not going to get rocks up" is an especially bad approach to take when your primary wallbreaker is so easily worn down by hazards.

Furthermore, Landorus as your dedicated lead doesn't prevent your opponent from getting rocks up. Sure they might take chip damage as a result, but Lead Landorus doesn't even prevent opposing Landorus from getting rocks on the field. Any decent player should see that this team's primary wallbreaker is ridiculously easily worn down by hazards and would prioritise setting Stealth Rock as quickly as possible, even if that's at the expense of losing a mon, and the second your opponent gets these rocks up, you're immediately placed at a disadvantage, if you're going to use a dedicated lead, something like azelf or excadrill outclass Lando as a lead in a number of manners, and personally, in order to effectively fit Azelf or excadrill into this team would probably still result in having to make multiple changes to this team.

Tapu Bulus role on this team as a wallbreaker wasn't entirely this team's biggest issue. Tapu Bulu not only hits really hard, being able to OHKO Bulkier mons - even those who resist grass at +2 with grassium Z. Also magnezone and mawile heavily benefit from the addition of grassy terrain on the field. While mimikyu is able to potentially check a single threat, It can't exactly switch in on any of them, and it's ridiculously easily pressured once its disguise is broken. I'm not saying that bulu is an ideal rain check, however it does at least force rain abusers out, and removing bulu from this team causes more problems than it creates.

Finally, by making Lando a sash lead and removing Tapu Bulu, you remove all of your checks to zygarde, since nothing is able to freely switch into it. Mimikyu certainly doesn't act as even a soft check to Zygarde, since it is OHKO'd by a +1 thousand arrows after Stealth Rock, and without a life orb, mimikyu by running a jolly nature, you're only doing about 60%, which isn't nearly enough to stop it from killing you.

Honestly Staraptor is an awesome mon and I have to give credit to KuraiTenshi26 for getting to where he did on the ladder with this mon. I really hope that you take advantage of the feedback that I provided you with, and I wish you the best of luck with teambuilding in the future. I also look forward to one day being able to properly rate one of your teams and only having to make one or two minor changes :]
Maybe read again the RMT rating information, I've clearly understood that my rate was bad and your teams are better than tenshi's, tho maybe try remaining a bit more open minded and avoid narcissism like "I also look forward to one day being able to properly rate one of your teams and only having to make one or two minor changes :]" because even great players are more moderate when rating other people's team man

Reactions: TPP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)