Doubles Pelipper

[OVERVIEW]

Pelipper is one of the premier rain setters in the Doubles OverUsed metagame with its ability Drizzle. However, Pelipper faces stiff competition from the other common rain setter, Politoed. While Politoed is bulkier and has more supportive options, Pelipper is more offensive. Hurricane and Hydro Pump give Pelipper excellent STAB coverage that allows it to keep momentum while also breaking foes, especially Grass-types. Pelipper offers useful additional support with its access to Tailwind, which can benefit Pelipper's offensive partners, and its low Speed gives it the potential to act as a slow pivot into teammates that can take advantage of rain or frailer Pokemon that do not wish to take any more damage than they have to. However, a critical Electric weakness means almost any Electric-type attack will knock Pelipper out. This, combined with less overall bulk, makes it a frailer rain setter than Politoed.

[SET]
name: Rain Setter
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Tailwind
move 4: Protect / U-turn / Wide Guard
item: Damp Rock
ability: Drizzle
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Hurricane is a powerful STAB move that will never miss in rain, which can help Pelipper check Grass-type Pokemon that are annoying to rain teams, such as Amoonguss and Tapu Bulu. Hydro Pump, when boosted by rain, is significantly more powerful than Hurricane, so it is the better option for hitting foes hard in general. U-turn can help gain momentum, as Pelipper can pivot into a Pokemon that will do the most work depending on the situation. Tailwind provides speed control for Pelipper and its allies. Protect can keep Pelipper safe from attacks while an ally attacks or can help stall out Trick Room or opposing Tailwind. Be careful that you are not stalling out your own rain, however. Wide Guard can protect itself and its allies from moves that would hit multiple team members.

Set Details
========
Drizzle is an ability that provides eight turns of rain when used with Damp Rock, enabling Swift Swim users like Mega Swampert and Kingdra to sweep. Maximum Speed EVs are used to outrun Deoxys-A and Mega Aerodactyl under Tailwind. Focus Sash can be used to prevent Pelipper from being OHKOed by strong attacks, particularly Electric-type moves.

Usage Tips
========
As long as your team has rain sweepers healthy, Pelipper should be preserved to ensure rain stays up so they can maintain a fast, strong offensive presence. If an opponent has their own weather setter, make sure to keep Pelipper as healthy as possible in order to win the weather war. Pelipper can also be used as a slow pivot thanks to its access to U-turn, giving it momentum that can be a crucial edge over an opponent. Pokemon that run Electric-type coverage moves should always be feared when using Pelipper, as almost all of these can OHKO Pelipper, potentially your team's only rain setter. Tailwind needs to be used appropriately to help keep pace with other members of your team. Pelipper is a great switch-in for other weather conditions like sun and sand and is a particularly good switch-in for Mega Charizard Y, which is a pain for rain teams. Switches should happen before opposing setters Mega Evolve, as otherwise the turn will end up with sand, sun, or hail up against Mega Tyranitar, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Abomasnow. Pelipper can be sacrificed late-game to set rain and take back momentum by capitalizing on the free turn.

Team Options
========
Swift Swim users such as Mega Swampert and Kingdra can be used to gain doubled Speed during rain, allowing them to outrun the entire unboosted metagame and turn them into major threats with their rain-boosted STAB attacks. Mega Swampert also has great synergy with Pelipper due to its Electric immunity and Pelipper's immunity to Earthquake. They also appreciate the removal of Grass-types through Pelipper's Hurricane. Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu can help break through bulky Water-types which rain teams can struggle with. Bulky Steel-types such as Metagross and Aegislash can benefit from rain halving their Fire weakness. Since teams with Pelipper tend to be more offensive, Pokemon that offer offensive pressure, most notably Deoxys-A, and Tapu Lele, along with the aforementioned rain sweepers, work well together. Landorus-T can be a good teammate to help deal with annoyances to rain, such as Tyranitar, Zapdos, Ferrothorn, and Kyurem-B. Pelipper appreciates a teammate that can deal with other weather, like Grass-types for opposing rain and sand or Rock-types for sand and hail. Pokemon that can threaten Mega Charizard Y and Amoonguss, such as Kyurem-B and Tapu Koko, can help deal with common checks to rain teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Ice Beam can be run as coverage to beat Pokemon that are weak to it like Landorus-T, Salamence, and Zygarde. A bulkier spread can be used; however, it is generally outclassed by Politoed. Rain Dance can be useful for when opposing Pokemon attempt to neutralize Pelipper's weather. Choice Specs can be an option that gives Pelipper an even stronger offensive presence on a rain team. Knock Off can be run as a utility move to remove a foe's item. Holding an Eject Button can give Pelipper a great opportunity to switch in, take a hit, and immediately switch into something that can capitalize on the rain without giving the opponent a free turn or opportunity to double switch out.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Electric-types**: Pelipper is 4x weak to Electric-type moves, and common foes such as Zapdos and Tapu Koko can dispose of Pelipper with relative ease.
**Other Weather**: Other weather, such as hail set by Alolan Ninetales, sand set by Tyranitar, and sun from Mega Charizard Y can cancel out Pelipper's Drizzle and possibly render your rain sweepers to near uselessness.
**Trick Room**: Trick Room can ruin rain teams, which rely on the ability Swift Swim to double teammates' Speed in rain. Without their Speed, they lose their ability to pressure opposing Pokemon and threaten KOs.
**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini can cause difficulty for rain teams, as they often have difficulty breaking them.
**Kyurem-B**: Kyurem-B, particularly the Assault Vest set, easily shrugs off Pelipper's attacks and just uses Fusion Bolt.[/hide][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
amcheck, implement what u want. Doesnt count as QC

[Overview]
  • Sayin Peeko as the premier rain setter is a bit wrong, each of Poli and peli has it own excess and flaws.
  • Remove the second sentence, say that peeko has excellent STAB coverage and add sentence about tailwind providing rest of the team with speed control.
  • Peeko is relatively frail, saying it has decent bulk is seems wrong.
  • Say the quadruple Electric weakness and worse bulk make it more frail than Politoed.
[Set]
  • Change the spread with 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe Modest, Peeko is a bit frail and the reason why choose it over poli are for powerful Hurricane.
  • Remove Roost and slash Protect with Wide Guard.
  • Use Damp Rock over Sitrus, again Peeko dont have the bulk and 8 rain turn is nice.
[Moves]
  • Youve missed the title, add this below [SET COMMENTS]
  • Say what the moves hit, ie Hurricane check Grass-types such as Bulu and Amoong which very annoying for rain teams.
  • No need to explain specifically what a moves do, 30% chance to burn and 4 turn doubling speed is just too specific, instead say that Scald has chance to cripple and burn physical threats and Tailwind provides speed control for pelipper and its ally.
[Set Details]
  • We all know what Drizzle do, just say that Drizzle is the only reason to use Peeko and automatically set up rain as Peeko switches in.
  • Since the ev and item is changed, say that Maximum investment in SpA let Peeko hit harder and 104 Spe enable Peeko to outspeed base 125 in TW. Dump HP.
  • Say what Damp Rock do.
[Usage Tips]
  • Say that Peeko is a good swith in against other weather conditions such as sand and sun, one of the best switch in for zard y as it ditch sun, and also work as lead with rain abuser by the side.
[Team Options]
  • Remove the Fire Weak with bulky Steel-types and give some examples. Remove the Thunder and Hurricane mons, instead give a Bulky Water-types check since rain struggling against it.
  • Teammate that can take care of other weather setter, Grass-types for mirror rain and sand or Rock-types for sand and Hail.
[Other Options]
  • Add Sash, Knock Off and Ice Beam.
[Checks and Counters]
  • Add **Trick Room** and **Water-types** the first tag should be **Electric-types**

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi, amcheck :D
I'll try to keep this as unbiased as possible since I personally think Pelipper is really bad lol

[Overview]
  • You need to mention that Pelipper faces heavy competition from Politoed as the rain setter for a rain team. And then you have to mention the pros and cons of using Pelipper over Politoed.
    • Pros
      • Unlike Politoed, Pelipper is a ground immune so it synergizes well with Mega Swampert.
      • Pelipper has Tailwind. Using Tailwind against Rain is a common answer to Swift Swim users, so Pelipper will be able to counteract the opponent's Tailwind with its own
      • More offensive than Politoed so it fits the Rain mold better, as those teams tend to be hyper offensive
    • Cons
      • Politoed is bulkier which means it lives longer so you can set Rain in late game
      • Pelipper can be dead-weight outside of Rain whereas Politoed can still support with Helping Hand
      • Added flying typing makes it weaker against other weather setters like Tyranitar and Alolan Ninetales
  • Gonna echo Hans and say that Pelipper isn't the premier rain setter in doubles. If anything Politoed is, so I'd remove that part.

[MOVES]
  • A little nitpicky, but mention that when using Protect, pay attention to your Rain turns cause you don't want to accidentally stall it out
[Usage Tips]
  • Say that if your opponent has a weather setter of their own, preserve Pelipper as much as possible so that you can win the weather war
[Team Options]
  • remove mention about water types because the only water types that work well with Pelipper are Swift Swim users.
  • remove mention about Scizor being a good bulky steel in rain because Scizor isn't VR ranked. I'd personally remove Ferrothorn too because Pelipper rain teams are much more HO-oriented than Politoed rain teams and Ferrothorn is just a momentum sap for HO. I'd put Metagross and Aegislash there instead. Metagross also beats Alolan Ninetales and Tyranitar which helps out Pelipper
  • in your swift swim user mention, give a bigger emphasis on Swampert since you can EQ next to Pelipper, unlike with Politoed
  • Landorus-T and Terrakion should get a mention too. Lando helps with Tapu Koko while Terrakion helps with general pests to rain teams, such as Tyranitar, Zapdos, Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn.
[Other Options]
  • Instead of saying a specially defensive spread, just say a bulkier spread instead cause Lele still 2HKOs spdef Pelipper and Hoopa can just click Hyperspace Fury. After that though, say that a bulkier spread is outclassed by Politoed. Something like "A bulkier spread can be used; however, it is outclassed by Politoed."
[Checks and Counters]
  • remove mention of Hippowdon, Torkoal, and regular Ninetales. They're all pretty bad. Use Charizard Y for your sun example instead. Say that Tyranitar is especially dangerous since Pelipper can't switch into Rock Slide.
  • remove the HP Electric mention, I understand that you're using it to stress Pelipper's Electric weakness but it's not a really relevant example. Mention some Electric types, like Zapdos, which can set Tailwind, and Tapu Koko.

Fran

formerly Frania
is a Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
you could mention specs as an alternative moveset or at least in other options as its the best moveset you can run with it with hydro / hurr / ib / uturn gives you very strong damage output and synergises well with bronzong. on the main set wg doesnt give you coverage on anything since your ss user always checks the spread ground type users (lando and zyg) while peli with drizzle blocks heat wave from fire types. id say tw is pretty essencial so your rain abusers dont have to worry about opposing speedcontrol while tect is only optional since you dont want to be stalling out your own turns (id slash it with scald or move to other options).

Amcheck here

Set

why does the spread only outspeed marshadow under tw? You should really be going for at least base 130s to get the potentially crucial hit on a weakened koko or mgar. 128 speed evs hits that.
Better still base 150s to beat down deo a/ m aero, but deo a is important since then swift swimmer + pelipper can ko under tw. 216 evs hits this.
Especially since the hp evs dont hit any benchmarks (at least you havent said).

Usage tips
Id mention about the fact that pelipper cant mega evolve to be very careful when switching is as you can lose a lot of momentum if you switch on a mega evo.

Team options
I think with swift swimmers, maybe say that they appreciate pelippers hurricane to weaken grass types a lot

Mention koko as a way to beat bulky waters with 100% accurate thunders. Electric terrain is cool too to stop amoonguss wrecking your team in conjunction with pelipper. Hits zard y hard too.

Mega gengar is cool too since you can trap zard y and potentially ttar to win weather wars.

Weather Wars is pretty dominant, and each weather usually don't last all 5 turns. To say that a weather stone should be Pelipper's main item seems far-stretched. Instead, I think Focus Sash should be removed from OO and placed with its main sets. 216 Spe is also enough speed to outspeed Deo-A under TW, which means you'd probably need Focus Sash anyways. Hydro Pump for max power and if you got guts. And you'd definitely need Protect even with Focus Sash; Weather Wars mean that you need to conserve your setter as much as possible.

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Tailwind / Hydro Pump
- Wide Guard / U-turn
- Protect

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
hi actual check this time. Implement all of AuraRay's suggestions. Focus Sash is a nice item but I think you're overstating weather wars a little too much, it's not as prominent tbh. For the main set though, use
[SET]
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Tailwind / U-turn
- Protect / Wide Guard / U-Turn

[Set Details]
  • change anything to reflect the new stuff.
  • Hydro Pump is a stronger Water STAB. Tailwind and U-turn both provide momentum so they're slashed together.
  • Mention that 216 Spe EVs can be used to outrun Deoxys-A and Mega Aerodactyl.
[Other Options]
  • add Choice Specs into oo. Put it below Focus Sash
Tag me when you implemented this and what AuraRay said and I will give you a check

DaAwesomeDude1

Sorry, back from LOA.

A bit confused on "Id mention about the fact that pelipper cant mega evolve to be very careful when switching is as you can lose a lot of momentum if you switch on a mega evo."

but I've implemented everything else
as i wrote it i guess ill explain: basically if you switch in on a ttar, for example, but it happens to be a mega ttar, then this happens:

Drizzle activates, ttar mega evolves, sand stream activates.

Basically you end up with pelipper in but sand up. since pelipper cant mega evolve it cant stay in and get rain back up so it has to switch, losing momentum. same applies vs mega charizard y and mega abomasnow

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I agree with the above content but instead of saying

"As Pelipper doesn't Mega-Evolve, ...."

I would instead say

"Be careful of the turn order of switching and Mega Evolution. As switches happen before Mega Evolution, ..."

Rain Dance (the move) to OO. It can be useful when opposing weather Pokemon try to neutralize your weather.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
You should mention that Pelipper works great in a Hyper Offensive core with Tapu Lele. Pokemon like Marshadow, Tapu Lele, Deoxys-A, etc. really pile on the hurt. With a Kingdra already spamming Muddy Water or Swampert KO'ing everything in rain, it's quite hard to address the dual threats in a HO environment. Opponents will certainly struggle to take a combination of Muddy Water and boosted Psychic-type moves.

For sure this is not the only way offensive rain can go. Some people dislike it because it gives minimal wiggle room in terms of the Pokemon you can use in it, and gives little switch chances. But also given that Rain Psyspam is a strongly established core, it seems appropriate to mention it. Some relevant Pokemon that are in this core are Marshadow, Deoxys-A, and Tapu Lele, aside from your standard rain sweepers which you mentioned already.

Sorry for the delay, all that is QC 1/2 because you implemented everything dad1 and aray did too, but they forgot? to stamp for whatever reason. 1/2 means you can start writing it up.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
[Overview]
  • "While Politoed is bulkier, Pelipper has a ground immunity" mention that having a ground immunity means that it synergizes well with mega swampert
  • mention something about wide guard when you're talking about support moves too
  • also talk about how pelipper is a somewhat more offensive rain setter than politoed so it fits the current mold for rain teams (really hyperoffensive)
[Usage Tips]
  • "Pelipper can be effectively used as the best rain setter in Doubles OU, and this should be taken advantage of as long as your team as Pokemon that can abuse the rain with Abilities such as Swift Swim or moves like Thunder or Hurricane which always hit in rain" I don't really understand what this sentence means. I'm assuming you're saying that Pelipper has drizzle so keep it alive if you have pokemon that can abuse rain? Either way I would fix this sentence cause it's pretty confusing right now
[Team Options]
  • "Swift Swim users such as Mega Swampert and Kingdra can be used to gain doubled speed during rain, making them incredibly difficult to revenge kill with their rain-boosted STAB attacks on relatively high attacking stats." I think that the main draw to getting higher speed is that it allows them to outrun the entire unboosted meta so I would change it to that. Something like "...doubled speed during rain, allowing them to outrun the entire unboosted meta and turn them into major threats with their rain-boosted..."
I think I got everything so tag me again when you've implemented this and I'll give you the last check

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
DurzaOffTopic do daddy's check please + the below points
  • Change the spread to 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe, this outruns even spe+ deo-a in tailwind
  • Hydro first, no scald
  • no slash behind tailwind
  • Give the Set Details section its missing title

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
OV
  • you dont have to say what drizzle does
  • on this section, you keep saying what Pelipper has, but you never really delve into what it can do. Instead of saying that it has this this and that, you should make a good point and build from there. For example, you can say that it's a pelipper is a better offensive rain setter because of its access to tailwind and u-turn, because blah blah blah. Rewrite this.
Set
  • U-turn first then Wide Guard
  • Make it max speed
Moves
  • Say something about Hydro being the one you go for when you wanna break stuff in general
Set Details
  • you don't have to say that rain boosts water and weakens fire. that's basic knowledge. just say it enables rain abusers
  • Reflect the max speed change, but make sure to note that it outruns deo-a in tailwind still
Usage Tips
  • "Pelipper can be effectively used as the best rain setter in Doubles OU, and this should be taken advantage of as long as your team as Pokemon that can abuse the rain. " what does this even mean? saying that it can be used as the best rain setter doesn't tell anything about how to use it. Be more specific.
Team Options
  • you can just say that the "rain-boosted STAB attacks" are powerful instead of what you did
  • "Mega Swampert is particularly useful for being able to use Earthquake without hitting Pelipper." - useful isn't the right way to describe this, it's just specific synergy.
  • i dont like how you described psychic terrain and marsh here. just say that since rain teams with peli tend to be more offensive, high pressure stuff is feasible, with marsh and deo-a lele being the most notable ones around or something
  • rewrite the part after this. you only really need the following: ferro breakers, kyu-b breakers, checks to electric, checks to other setters (mainly tar). you can combine the first two (+ Amoong) in the sense that they need to be answered for the same reason (can take on rain sweepers). just remember that each section of these need a sentence each at the minimum.
C&C
  • other weather: they don't really use their own "abusers" for the their own weathers; exca isn't common enough.
  • tr: to be more specific, tr is here because it takes away their ability to pressure effectively as they lose their speed and thus their ability to actually threaten KOs
tag when done

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
OV
  • On the Politoed comparison, be on the more general side. Politoed is bulkier and has more supportive options while pel is better on the offensive.
  • "Hurricane and Scald give Pelipper excellent STAB coverage" - Scald's not even slashed.
  • Add something about Tailwind being appreciated in particular by the non-rain pieces of a Rain HO-type team.
Moves
  • Hydro: it's not really just about "breaking bulky pokemon", it's about Hydro being the move you wanna use when you wanna hit stuff hard in general. It isn't necessarily supposed to be used on only bulky pokemon like Celesteela and Lax, but the usefulness is more apparent when used on them and this should only be a particular note on the more general idea.
  • Add something about going to stuff that can "capitalize the position" in general, pokemon w/ drizzle aren't always the ones you go to with U-turn
Usage Tips
  • "Pelipper can be effectively used as the best rain setter in Doubles OU, and this should be taken advantage of as long as your team as Pokemon that can abuse the rain. " doesn't add anything, remove
  • "As long as your team has rain abusers healthy, Pelipper should be preserved to maintain Rain and make the most of its support moves." - say why (enable swift swimmers to be threats because they can keep tempo better or something). Remove the mention of support moves.
  • "Abilities such as Swift Swim or Pokemon that use moves like Thunder or Hurricane benefit greatly from Rain" - remove, this is obvious, we shouldn't be spouting simple mechanics
  • Condense the thought of the last three sentences into one, it's too long for something that's not really that relevant.
  • Add some other points, such as saccing Pelipper to quickly get in a drizzler to take back momentum and capitalize, breaking stuff like bulu w/ it, and setting Tailwind at opportune moments.
Team Options
  • Remove Terrakion, that's not a relevant Pokemon. Replace it w/ something else like Marshadow or something
  • Remove the bit w/ MGar, it's not as good as could be.
C&C
  • Kyurem-B, specifically AV, doesn't care about Peli and Fusion Bolts
tag

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
OV
  • Politoed's not just bulkier, it also has more supportive options and is better suited for those roles
  • the way you phrased the bit on tailwinded that i made you add -- "particularly on the non-rain abusing members of your team" -- doesn't actually add that much. What I mean is that Tailwind is notable particularly because the teams Pelipper is on is very offensive in nature (most rain are)
  • "Hurricane and Hydro Pump give Pelipper excellent STAB coverage." - add reasoning for why this is notable. I mean, so what if it has excellent STAB coverage? You have to say what this lets Pelipper do for its role (keep tempo potentially break stuff)
Moves
  • You didn't have to remove the bit about particular note of breaking bulky mons like Celes with Hydro because that's actually a legit use for it lol. I just meant that you have to give the general idea before going to specifics
  • By "capitalize the position", i mean just go to whatever pokemon that makes sense, that can actually match up well lol. For example, you wouldn't go to non-Draco Kingdra against something like Kyu-B + Volcanion. Pelipper doesn't necessarily go only to Drizzle mons
Set Details
  • Add Focus Sash here with the appropriate description. Not a slash. Remove it from OO
UT
  • Add a "proper usage of Tailwind" bit, just say stuff about using it to keep pace with members of your team or something. Should be simple enough.
OO
  • Add Eject Button. After Specs. Describe appropriately.

qc 2/2 if real, great work! :)

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
use this for easy implementation.

GP 1/2
add
remove comments

[OVERVIEW]
Pelipper is one of the premier rain setters in the Doubles OverUsed metagame with its ability Drizzle. However, Pelipper faces stiff competition from the other common rain setter, Politoed. While Politoed is bulkier and has more supportive options, Pelipper is more offensive. Hurricane and Hydro Pump give Pelipper excellent STAB coverage that allows it Pelipper to keep momentum while also breaking things foes, especially Grass-types. Pelipper offers useful support with its access to Tailwind, which can benefit the offensive Pokemon that usually go with Pelipper's offensive partners (subjective but flows better). The low Speed of Pelipper gives it the potential to act as a slow pivot into teammates that can take advantage of rain-abusing Pokemon or frailer Pokemon who that do not wish to take any more damage than they have to. Pelipper has a critical Electric weakness, (AC) meaning almost any Electric-type attack will knock it out. This 4x Electric weakness, (AC) combined with less overall bulk, (AC) makes it a frailer rain setter than Politoed.

[SET]
ivs: 0 Atk (not needed on dex)

[SET COMMENTS]
[MOVES]Moves
========
Hurricane is a powerful STAB move that will never miss in rain, which Pelipper provides through its ability Drizzle. Hurricane can help Pelipper it check Grass-type Pokemon that are annoying to rain teams, such as Amoongus and Tapu Bulu. Hydro Pump is a powerful Water-type STAB move that hits even harder under rain. (essentially repeated in the next sentence) Hydro Pump, (AC) when boosted by rain, (AC) is significantly more powerful than Hurricane, so it is the better option for hitting things foes hard in general. U-turn can help gain momentum, (AC) as Pelipper can pivot into a Pokemon that will do the most work depending on the situation. Tailwind provides speed control for Pelipper and its allies. Protect can keep Pelipper safe from attacks while an ally attacks, (RC) or can help stall out Trick Room or opposing Tailwind. Be careful that you are not stalling out your own rain, however. Wide Guard can protect itself and its allies and itself from moves that would hit multiple team members.

[SET DETAILS]Set Details
========
Drizzle is an ability that provides five eight turns of rain when used with Damp Rock, enabling rain abusers Swift Swim users like Mega Swampert and Kingdra to sweep. With Damp Rock, Drizzle will last for eight turns rather than five. (separate point not really necessary) Maximum Speed EVs is are used to outrun Deoxys-A and Mega Aerodactyl under Tailwind. Focus Sash can be used to prevent Pelipper to be OHKO'd from being OHKOed by strong attacks, and particularly Electric-type moves.

[USAGE TIPS]Usage Tips
========
As long as your team has rain abusers sweepers healthy, Pelipper should be preserved to maintain ensure rain stays up so they can maintain a fast, strong offensive presence. If an opponent has their own weather-(RH) setter, then make sure to keep Pelipper as healthy as possible in order to win the weather war. Pelipper can also be used as a slow pivot thanks to its access to the move U-turn, giving it momentum that can be a crucial edge over an opponent. Pokemon that run Electric-type coverage moves should are always to be feared when using Pelipper, (AC) as almost all of these can OHKO Pelipper, (AC) and potentially your team's only rain setter. Tailwind needs to be used appropriately to help keep pace with other members of your team. Pelipper is a great switch-in for other weather conditions like sun and sand, (RC) and is a particularly good switch-in for Charizard-Mega-Y Mega Charizard Y, which is a pain for rain teams. Switches should happen before Mega Evolution, (AC) as it will end up with sandstorm, sun, (AC) or hail up with Mega Tyranitar, Mega Charizard-(RH) Y, and Mega Abomasnow, respectively, since their abilities activate when they Mega-(RH) Evolve, so be careful when switching into these Pokemon. (this sentence isn't really clear, maybe try rephrasing) Pelipper can be sacked in the late game sacrificed late-game to set rain and take back momentum by capitalizing on the free turn.

Team Options
========
Swift Swim users such as Mega Swampert and Kingdra can be used to gain doubled Speed during rain, allowing them to outrun the entire unboosted metagame and turn them into major threats with their rain-boosted STAB attacks. Mega Swampert also has great synergy with Pelipper due to its Electric-type immunity and Pelipper's immunity being immune to Earthquake. They also appreciate the removal of Grass-types through Pelipper's Hurricane. Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu can help rain teams break through bulky water types Water-types, (AC) which rain teams can struggle with. Bulky Steel-types such as Metagross and Aegislash can benefit from rain halving their Fire weakness. Since teams with Pelipper tend to be more offensive, Pokemon that offer offensive pressure are pressuring, most notably Deoxys-Attack, Tapu Lele, and Marshadow, along with the aforementioned rain sweepers, work well together. Landorus-T and Marshadow can be good teammates to help deal with annoyances to rain, such as Tyranitar, Zapdos, Ferrothorn, and Kyurem-Black. Pelipper can appreciates a teammate that can deal with other weather, like Grass-types for opposing rain and sand or Rock-types for sand and hail. Pokemon that can threaten Charizard-Mega-Y Mega Charizard Y and Amoonguss, such as Kyurem-Black and Tapu Koko, (AC) can help deal with common checks to rain teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Ice Beam can be run as coverage to beat weak Pokemon that are weak to it (weak pokemon kinda implies that the mons are weak in general, not weak to ice) like Landorus-T, Salamence, and Zygarde. A bulkier spread can be used; however, it is generally outclassed by Politoed. Rain Dance can be useful for when opposing Pokemon attempt to neutralize your its weather. Choice Specs can be an option that gives Pelipper an even stronger offensive presence on a rain team. Knock Off can be run as a utility move to remove a foe's item. Holding an Eject Button can give Pelipper a great opportunity to switch in, take a hit, and immediately switch into something that can capitalize on the rain without giving the opponent a free turn or opportunity to double switch out.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Pelipper is quad-weak 4x weak to Electric-type moves, and anything as common foes such as Zapdos and Tapu Koko can dispose of Pelipper with relative ease.

**Other Weather**: Other weather, such as hail set by Alolan Ninetales, sand set by Tyranitar, and sun from Charizard-Mega-Y Mega Charizard Y can cancel out Pelipper's Drizzle and possibly render your rain abusers sweepers to near uselessness.

**Trick Room**: Trick Room can ruin rain teams, which rely on the ability Swift Swim to double teammate's teammates' Speed in rain. Without their Speed, they lose their abilities ability to pressure opposing Pokemon and threaten KO's KOs.

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini can cause difficulty for rain teams, (AC) as they often have difficulty breaking them.

**Kyurem-Black**: Kyurem-Black, particularly the Assault Vest set, easily shrugs off Pelipper's attacks and just uses Fusion Bolt.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Pelipper is one of the premier rain setters in the Doubles OverUsed metagame with its ability Drizzle. However, Pelipper faces stiff competition from the other common rain setter, Politoed. While Politoed is bulkier and has more supportive options, Pelipper is more offensive. Hurricane and Hydro Pump give Pelipper excellent STAB coverage that allows it to keep momentum while also breaking foes, especially Grass-types. Pelipper offers useful additional support with its access to Tailwind, which can benefit Pelipper's offensive partners, (comma) The and its low Speed of Pelipper gives it the potential to act as a slow pivot into teammates that can take advantage of rain or frailer Pokemon that do not wish to take any more damage than they have to. However, Pelipper has a critical Electric weakness (RC) meaning means almost any Electric-type attack will knock it Pelipper out. This 4x Electric weakness, combined with less overall bulk, makes it a frailer rain setter than Politoed.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Hurricane is a powerful STAB move that will never miss in rain, which can help it Pelipper check Grass-type Pokemon that are annoying to rain teams, such as Amoongus Amoonguss and Tapu Bulu. Hydro Pump, when boosted by rain, is significantly more powerful than Hurricane, so it is the better option for hitting foes hard in general. U-turn can help gain momentum, as Pelipper can pivot into a Pokemon that will do the most work depending on the situation. Tailwind provides speed control for Pelipper and its allies. Protect can keep Pelipper safe from attacks while an ally attacks or can help stall out Trick Room or opposing Tailwind. Be careful that you are not stalling out your own rain, however. Wide Guard can protect itself and its allies from moves that would hit multiple team members.

Set Details
========
Drizzle is an ability that provides eight turns of rain when used with Damp Rock, enabling Swift Swim users like Mega Swampert and Kingdra to sweep. Maximum Speed EVs are used to outrun Deoxys-A and Mega Aerodactyl under Tailwind. Focus Sash can be used to prevent Pelipper from being OHKOed by strong attacks, particularly Electric-type moves.

Usage Tips
========
As long as your team has rain sweepers healthy, Pelipper should be preserved to ensure rain stays up so they can maintain a fast, strong offensive presence. If an opponent has their own weather setter, make sure to keep Pelipper as healthy as possible in order to win the weather war. Pelipper can also be used as a slow pivot thanks to its access to U-turn, giving it momentum that can be a crucial edge over an opponent. Pokemon that run Electric-type coverage moves should always be feared when using Pelipper, as almost all of these can OHKO Pelipper, potentially your team's only rain setter. Tailwind needs to be used appropriately to help keep pace with other members of your team. Pelipper is a great switch-in for other weather conditions like sun and sand and is a particularly good switch-in for Mega Charizard Y, which is a pain for rain teams. Switches should happen before Mega Evolution opposing setters Mega Evolve, as it otherwise the turn will end up with sand, sun, or hail up with against Mega Tyranitar, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Abomasnow, respectively, since their abilities activate when they Mega Evolve, so be careful when switching into these Pokemon. Pelipper can be sacrificed late-game to set rain and take back momentum by capitalizing on the free turn.

Team Options
========
Swift Swim users such as Mega Swampert and Kingdra can be used to gain doubled Speed during rain, allowing them to outrun the entire unboosted metagame(space)and turn them into major threats with their rain-boosted STAB attacks. Mega Swampert also has great synergy with Pelipper due to its Electric immunity and Pelipper's immunity to Earthquake. They also appreciate the removal of Grass-types through Pelipper's Hurricane. Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu can help break through bulky Water-types which rain teams can struggle with. Bulky Steel-types such as Metagross and Aegislash can benefit from rain halving their Fire weakness. Since teams with Pelipper tend to be more offensive, Pokemon that offer offensive pressure, most notably Deoxys-A, Tapu Lele, and Marshadow, along with the aforementioned rain sweepers, work well together. Landorus-T and Marshadow (dead right) can be good teammates to help deal with annoyances to rain, such as Tyranitar, Zapdos, Ferrothorn, and Kyurem-B. Pelipper appreciates a teammate that can deal with other weather, like Grass-types for opposing rain and sand or Rock-types for sand and hail. Pokemon that can threaten Mega Charizard Y and Amoonguss, such as Kyurem-B and Tapu Koko, can help deal with common checks to rain teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Ice Beam can be run as coverage to beat Pokemon that are weak to it like Landorus-T, Salamence, and Zygarde. A bulkier spread can be used; however, it is generally outclassed by Politoed. Rain Dance can be useful for when opposing Pokemon attempt to neutralize its Pelipper's weather. Choice Specs can be an option that gives Pelipper an even stronger offensive presence on a rain team. Knock Off can be run as a utility move to remove a foe's item. Holding an Eject Button can give Pelipper a great opportunity to switch in, take a hit, and immediately switch into something that can capitalize on the rain without giving the opponent a free turn or opportunity to double switch out.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Pelipper is 4x weak to Electric-type moves, and a common foes such as Zapdos and Tapu Koko can dispose of Pelipper with relative ease.

**Other Weather**: Other weather, such as hail set by Alolan Ninetales, sand set by Tyranitar, and sun from Mega Charizard Y can cancel out Pelipper's Drizzle and possibly render your rain sweepers to near uselessness.

**Trick Room**: Trick Room can ruin rain teams, which rely on the ability Swift Swim to double teammates' Speed in rain. Without their Speed, they lose their ability to pressure opposing Pokemon and threaten KOs.

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini can cause difficulty for rain teams, as they often have difficulty breaking them.

**Kyurem-B**: Kyurem-B, particularly the Assault Vest set, easily shrugs off Pelipper's attacks and just uses Fusion Bolt.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)