Pet Mods General Discussion Thread

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Ok, just asking to be sure. Tho I already spoke to a concil of the specific mod I wanted to improve. Anyways, here's a mod idea I've wanted to implement for a while:

You know Fusion Moves? The siser Pet Mod to FE which allows two moves to be fused and gain a new effect. I was thinking of doing something simillar, by making a mod where you fuse two moves of a Pokémon's learnset, allowing it to learn one or more new moves. For reference, look at the FE Fusion Moves thread and see the kinds of moves we create there.

So, in a better explained way:

- Pokémon can fuse two moves of it's learnset, with at the least one being a stab move.

- The new move may recieve effects from the previous two used to fused based on their effects (Burn Chance, boosting a stat, gaining a power boost under certain circunstances, etc).

- Type and Category must come from one of the parent moves (For an example, it wouldn't make sense for Flamethrower + Rock Polish to be a Flying-Type Special move)

- Base Power, PP and Accuracy all must be equal, or at the least close (But not higher than) the parent's moves. For an example, Hydro Pump + Aerial Ace can combine the high base power of Hydro Pump with the perfect accuracy of Aerial Ace to make a new move, but if you think that the 110 never-miss move is too strong, you can nerf the base power a bit.

- Said moves will interact with Z-Crystals, giving off the Z-Move of the same type of the move used. If a move is Status, then it can have an effect depending on which was the Z-Move's effect on the original move (Ex, a fusion move of Stealth Rock + Will-O-Wisp could have either +1 Attack or +1 Def, or both, as it's Z-Effect)

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this idea. Does it sound interesting? Would any of you take place in submitting it?

I had an idea, but it's probably bad so I'll post it here:

EQUIPMONS

The concept is simple: like in many RPGs, your characters can "wear" equipment that affects the entire team. Like a ring that boosts the power of physical non-contact moves, a cloak that blesses all your 'mons with lefties, etc. This will be done through nicknames and positions in the list.

Pokemon one: it will make you wear a ring.
Pokemon two: it will make you wear shoes.
Pokemon three: it will make you wear glasses.
Pokemon four: it will make you wear a scarf.
Pokemon five: It will make you wear a cloak.
Pokemon six: it will make you wear a pin.

Questions:
-This is a stupid idea.
-Will the gadgets have a positive effect only or even a negative one?
-Why did I tried to create this shit?
-How many gadgets of each class should be allowed? 5? 10? 12986419238453824589?

Any and All Suggestions will be appreciated.
Can I have some feedback?

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok, just asking to be sure. Tho I already spoke to a concil of the specific mod I wanted to improve. Anyways, here's a mod idea I've wanted to implement for a while:

You know Fusion Moves? The siser Pet Mod to FE which allows two moves to be fused and gain a new effect. I was thinking of doing something simillar, by making a mod where you fuse two moves of a Pokémon's learnset, allowing it to learn one or more new moves. For reference, look at the FE Fusion Moves thread and see the kinds of moves we create there.

So, in a better explained way:

- Pokémon can fuse two moves of it's learnset, with at the least one being a stab move.

- The new move may recieve effects from the previous two used to fused based on their effects (Burn Chance, boosting a stat, gaining a power boost under certain circunstances, etc).

- Type and Category must come from one of the parent moves (For an example, it wouldn't make sense for Flamethrower + Rock Polish to be a Flying-Type Special move)

- Base Power, PP and Accuracy all must be equal, or at the least close (But not higher than) the parent's moves. For an example, Hydro Pump + Aerial Ace can combine the high base power of Hydro Pump with the perfect accuracy of Aerial Ace to make a new move, but if you think that the 110 never-miss move is too strong, you can nerf the base power a bit.

- Said moves will interact with Z-Crystals, giving off the Z-Move of the same type of the move used. If a move is Status, then it can have an effect depending on which was the Z-Move's effect on the original move (Ex, a fusion move of Stealth Rock + Will-O-Wisp could have either +1 Attack or +1 Def, or both, as it's Z-Effect)

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this idea. Does it sound interesting? Would any of you take place in submitting it?
Sounds alright, but Fusion Moves was made to amplify the DNA merging feel of FE (as far as I can tell). It could work but wouldn't it be a bit too similar? I would submit if it was a thing, but I'm kinda sceptical about it...

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
Sounds alright, but Fusion Moves was made to amplify the DNA merging feel of FE (as far as I can tell). It could work but wouldn't it be a bit too similar? I would submit if it was a thing, but I'm kinda sceptical about it...
Hm, I can see what you mean. Tho playstyle wise, it would be a lot different from Fusion Moves since that can only be played with Fusion Evolution, which creates an entire bunch of new mons altogether while what I'd like to do would only have the currently existing ones.

Tho if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it more different than FM, feel free to say so.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Hm, I can see what you mean. Tho playstyle wise, it would be a lot different from Fusion Moves since that can only be played with Fusion Evolution, which creates an entire bunch of new mons altogether while what I'd like to do would only have the currently existing ones.

Tho if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it more different than FM, feel free to say so.
One thing; will genderless Pokémon and Undiscovered Pokémon can get similar treatment, or do they have restriction?

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
One thing; will genderless Pokémon and Undiscovered Pokémon can get similar treatment, or do they have restriction?
Thay'd work as all other mons would. The premisse of the mod would be to merge moves of the mon's moveset, not to go FE route and say each "parent" lend a move for the breed to learn .

Why arent any of the pet mods playable? I get that it doesnt have THAT big of a community but it would still be nice to see some of the popular pet mods be playable

For some of them it might be hard to code but only for some like the popular/simple premises not all, some of them like alola formes, megas for all and sylvemons seem fairly okay to code (if cap can make new mons and sprites it shouldnt be that big of a deal)

Id argue pet mods would be way more popular if they were playable (i know so many people were interested in the idea of pet mods but were turned off when they knew theres no pmotm or anything)

Id say that you guys should organe some kind of pmotm on the main server and more advertising to help this community to grow more, id really love if pet mods were actually a recognized thing like other metas

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
Why arent any of the pet mods playable? I get that it doesnt have THAT big of a community but it would still be nice to see some of the popular pet mods be playable

For some of them it might be hard to code but only for some like the popular/simple premises not all, some of them like alola formes, megas for all and sylvemons seem fairly okay to code (if cap can make new mons and sprites it shouldnt be that big of a deal)

Id argue pet mods would be way more popular if they were playable (i know so many people were interested in the idea of pet mods but were turned off when they knew theres no pmotm or anything)

Id say that you guys should organe some kind of pmotm on the main server and more advertising to help this community to grow more, id really love if pet mods were actually a recognized thing like other metas
Actually, I'm sure All-Type Terrain is playable somewhere. I think Z-Moves Everywhere is too. I have no idea of how far Fusion Evolution (And by extension, Fusion Moves and Fusion Prevolution) are in terms of playability but I know Dragon Heaven has a part of the fusions already coded too so there's that.

But I agree, there's such a low ammount of Mods coded that it's kinda sad tbh. Tho of course this partially comes from Mods being more complicated most of the time, when most metas have an overall change while mods have specific changes for every mon. I have no experience with codes at all but I believe Mods take more time to code.

Imo we should at the least test how it'd be if a mod was coded faster than usual. Not sure if PMOTM would be a good idea from the get-go, but some sort of tournaments every once in a while would be nice. In terms of comunity size, Idk how big the metas ones are, but I can say for sure that at the least FE has a pretty good ammount of people following it.

Either way, the thought of having Pet Mods be more playable would be really good for it and may increase the comunity.

Ludicrousity

Actually, I'm sure All-Type Terrain is playable somewhere. I think Z-Moves Everywhere is too. I have no idea of how far Fusion Evolution (And by extension, Fusion Moves and Fusion Prevolution) are in terms of playability but I know Dragon Heaven has a part of the fusions already coded too so there's that.

But I agree, there's such a low ammount of Mods coded that it's kinda sad tbh. Tho of course this partially comes from Mods being more complicated most of the time, when most metas have an overall change while mods have specific changes for every mon. I have no experience with codes at all but I believe Mods take more time to code.

Imo we should at the least test how it'd be if a mod was coded faster than usual. Not sure if PMOTM would be a good idea from the get-go, but some sort of tournaments every once in a while would be nice. In terms of comunity size, Idk how big the metas ones are, but I can say for sure that at the least FE has a pretty good ammount of people following it.

Either way, the thought of having Pet Mods be more playable would be really good for it and may increase the comunity.
Mods take much longer to code due to additions like new pokemon, new moves, new abilities, new items ect ect. For this reason not as many are coded. A few are partially coded on Dragon Heaven. (By a few, I mean most of them), but they aren't all fully functional due to either lazy or inexperienced coders (I'm in the middle of both), or just too big a mod and too few people (take FE for an example).

As for Pet Mod Of The Month, there just aren't as many pet mods as OMs, and the community is much smaller too. I know pretty much everyone that posts on Pet Mods, because it's a compact community, but if I went into OMs, it's way bigger. Maybe Pet Mods on the server could spark some interest in it, but that leads back to the coding issue we've got. FE is probably the biggest Pet Mod, and it gets, like 10-15 people subbing per slate, but that's about as large as Pet Mods get.

Besides all that, I think if we're going to try and get a pet mod playable on Showdown, we should focus on the biggest pet mod (FE), and grow from there.

Finally, I'll leave a list of a few mods that have been coded either partially or fully here:

Dragon Heaven
Move Mastery (Complete)
Choonmons [Version δ] (Complete)
Eevee'd (Coded up to Dunsparce Slate + Syther Evos)
Fusion Evolution (use "/felist" to find a list of coded mons)
Nerfmons (Coded up to the Garchomp Slate)
Optimons (Coded up to Wormadam Slate)
Type Optimisation (Coded up to Ground/Fighting slate)
Eternal Pokemon (Coded up to Hoothoot slate. Moves coded up to Pikachu)
TFNG (Random Pokemon, Moves, Abilities and Items have been coded. Starters are all done. Use "!dt "Word", thenewfirstgen" to find stuff)
Sylvemons (Fist slate coded. That's about it...)
Z-Moves Everywhere (Coded up to Omastar Slate)

Nexus
Megas For All (Coded mons are in this sheet)
Battle Ready (Delphox, Chesnaut and Wishiwashi are coded)

Edit: Also to have custom sprites we'd need either a custom client or for the custom sprites implemented into the original showdown github. For this reason, it'd make more sense to code a metagame for Showdown rather than a custom server...

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Introducing...
Typing: The mod(Help me to find a better name pls)

To every one of you who thinks 18 types isn't enough (not that much people, I guess), well this pet mod is made for you! The goal of this mod is simple: create new pokemon types, create and change stuff around them (Like moves, abilities and maybe even pokemons) and balancing older types.

This will be done by slates. Those will alternate between type creation slates (where we will discuss about the matchup of a new type, existing pokemon who will have that type and changing/creating moves, abilities and items for this type) and type balancing slates (where we will discuss about matchup of older types and changing pokemon/moves/abilities to fit with older and/or newer typings).

This kind of pet mods could lead to more variety and to more balanced pokemon options in competitive play.

Questions:
-Is this codable?
-Is this dumb?
-Did something like this had already been done in past generations?
-A better name?
-Are slates a good idea?
-Any other questions, comments or suggestions are welcomed!

Ludicrousity

Introducing...

To every one of you who thinks 18 types isn't enough (not that much people, I guess), well this pet mod is made for you! The goal of this mod is simple: create new pokemon types, create and change stuff around them (Like moves, abilities and maybe even pokemons) and balancing older types.

This will be done by slates. Those will alternate between type creation slates (where we will discuss about the matchup of a new type, existing pokemon who will have that type and changing/creating moves, abilities and items for this type) and type balancing slates (where we will discuss about matchup of older types and changing pokemon/moves/abilities to fit with older and/or newer typings).

This kind of pet mods could lead to more variety and to more balanced pokemon options in competitive play.

Questions:
-Is this codable?
-Is this dumb?
-A better name?
-Are slates a good idea?
There was something like this called The Next Type that made new types. I'd fully support this. There was actually a fan-based version called A New Type that died out pretty quickly due to being on Discord.

Introducing...

Questions:
-Is this codable?
-Is this dumb?
-A better name?
-Are slates a good idea?
Funny, I was thinking about a similar mod (that only balanced old types). I support the idea and am in fact thinking about it right now.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
There was something like this called The Next Type that made new types. I'd fully support this. There was actually a fan-based version called A New Type that died out pretty quickly due to being on Discord.

So, if I ever want this pet mod realized, does that mean I need Valmanway's authorization? (I hope not, he's inactive since November...)

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
I think we should revive some of the great Pet Mod ideas from Gen 6. I'll go through some of them and you guys reply with opinions. Ones that were already revived (Megas for All) or ones that migrated from Gen 6 to Gen 7 (Fusion Evolution) aren't listed for obvious reasons.

AbNormal was fully completed in Gen 6, but Gamefreak released more Normal-type Pokemon and moves. Removing Normal-type of those mons would create one/two extra slates to AbNormal and would let new posters know it's fully playable (at least it was, in some server).
Three Type 'Mons was never finished. It didn't have voting so most suggestions were added, even bad ones. However, it could easily be rebooted into Gen 7. The idea is simple and changes the metagame in a fun way.
Noble Items was never finished, but many slates were completed and almost 100 items were buffed/changed. It could be revived for Gen 7 without many changes. I could go on about how my own Pet Mod was great but I'll just say, there aren't many Pet Mods about items. Changing items is fun.
Pokemon Minus was the coolest thing around. Buffing all Pokemon in the Ubers Viability Rank to above S-rank Ubers? No limits? Simply amazing. Someone revive this shit right now.

Other options that I wouldn't recommend for many reasons:
Flavourmons (change stuff about Pokemon based on their dex entries, lore, etc).
Hidden OU (changes every Pokemon's hidden abilities each gen so they stay hidden).
Pokébilities (gave a Pokemon all of their abilities at once + changed certain ability effects)
Justification (random changes made by the community)
Pet Mods with random changes made by one user (Skillmons, Ghoul King's Pet Mod and others). Some of them were good but obviously we can't revive those Pet Mods without those users.

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
I like the concept of AbNormal. For convinience, here's the Gen 7 Normal-Typed mons:

Pikipek
Trumbeak
Toucannon
Yungoos
Gumshoos
Stufful
Bewear
Oranguru
Type: Null
Silvally-Normal
Komala
Drampa
Alolan Rattata
Alolan Raticate

Laser Focus
Multi-Attack
Revelation Dance (Restricted to Oricorio, in which cases it's not Normal-Type. In fact, it changes the type to match the mon's type. Smeargle also gets it but I'm assuming AbNormal aready changed it's typing)
Spotlight
Tearful Look
Pulverizing Pancake

I remember finding the old thread one of these days and it looks pretty fun.

charizard8888

Catch The Wave
Hey so I was thinking of the same thing and was going to post but Ludi did everything well that's good

So how does a Pet Mods Grand Slam Tour sounds?
We can do that after 5 months if we plan it now!

It could include 5-7 Pet Mods selected (By voting or something) Smogon tour just like the OMGS. With the winner getting some reward like being called the Pet Mods overlord #3
A good amount of Mods coding is underway already as you can see that in Dragon Heaven and Nexus.

Dragon Heaven
Move Mastery (Complete)
Choonmons [Version δ] (Complete)
Eevee'd (Coded up to Dunsparce Slate + Syther Evos)
Fusion Evolution (use "/felist" to find a list of coded mons)
Nerfmons (Coded up to the Garchomp Slate)
Optimons (Coded up to Wormadam Slate)
Type Optimisation (Coded up to Ground/Fighting slate)
Eternal Pokemon (Coded up to Hoothoot slate. Moves coded up to Pikachu)
TFNG (Random Pokemon, Moves, Abilities and Items have been coded. Starters are all done. Use "!dt "Word", thenewfirstgen" to find stuff)
Sylvemons (Fist slate coded. That's about it...)
Z-Moves Everywhere (Coded up to Omastar Slate)

Nexus
Megas For All (Coded mons are in this sheet)
Battle Ready(Delphox, Chesnaut and Wishiwashi are coded)
They can be played in these servers.

Here's a small overview on the coding difficulty (Rough estimate which includes time and all factors) and current state

Fusion Evolution + Prevolution + Fusion Moves
Rating (Coding level):
For really huge mods like Fusion Evolution, they can be coded with the added motivation if they get selected and by the community's support.

Type Optimisation
Rating: 2.5
Status: Coded up to Ground/Fighting slate: Lycanroc-Mid (/typeopt)

OptiMons
Rating: 2

Megas For All

Eevee'd
Status: Coded up to Dunsparce Slate + Syther Evos (Use this /dt magzor,eeveed | List command coming SoonTM)

Crossover Chaos
Rating: 2.7 (Since haven't started)

Battle Ready

SylveMons

All Type Terrain

Z-Moves Everywhere
Rating: 3

Eternal Pokemon

The New First Gen + Costume Combat
Rating: 4.5
It's a really huge project hence 4.5 but at the same time it's really really cool, can be done withing the deadline if we head up just like Fusion Evolution.

Alola Formes

Ultra Space Variants

Nerfmons
Status: Coded upto Garchomp so only one slate behind(/nerfmons)

Choonmons

Movin' On Up

Move Mastery

Sorry I can't give any proper coding difficulty to these ones below, I gotta read the description, would do that soon
PokeEmblem
All the Aces
Heart of the Cards
These ones won't take long once started I think

Ability Balance (Would read it once free)

Sorry if I missed any Mod here that wasn't done on purpose, I'll double-check afterwards.

So we can vote just like OMotM NOMINATIONS are done by voting the mods by typing their name expilictly in a thread as that'd be better than a regular poll I think and then do a tour of 5-7 Mods in Mid-April or May.

Edit: The Heart of the Cards and All The Aces are doable | Rating: 2.6
Haven't been able to figure out PokeEmblem yet

Last edited:

Ludicrousity

Hey so I was thinking of the same thing and was going to post but Ludi did everything well that's good

So how does a Pet Mods Grand Slam Tour sounds?
We can do that after 5 months if we plan it now!

It could include 5-7 Pet Mods selected (By voting or something) Smogon tour just like the OMGS. With the winner getting some reward like being called the Pet Mods overlord #3
A good amount of Mods coding is underway already as you can see that in Dragon Heaven and Nexus.

They can be played in these servers.

Here's a small overview on the coding difficulty (Rough estimate which includes time and all factors) and current state

Fusion Evolution + Prevolution + Fusion Moves
Rating (Coding level):
For really huge mods like Fusion Evolution, they can be coded with the added motivation if they get selected and by the community's support.

Type Optimisation
Status: Coded up to Ground/Fighting slate: Lycanroc-Mid (/typeopt)

OptiMons

Megas For All

Eevee'd
Status: Coded up to Dunsparce Slate + Syther Evos (Use this /dt magzor,eeveed | List command coming SoonTM)

Crossover Chaos

Battle Ready

SylveMons

All Type Terrain

Z-Moves Everywhere
Rating: 3

Eternal Pokemon

The New First Gen + Costume Combat
Rating: 4.5
It's a really huge project hence 4.5 but at the same time it's really really cool, can be done withing the deadline if we head up just like Fusion Evolution.

Alola Formes

Ultra Space Variants

Nerfmons
Status: Coded upto Garchomp so only one slate behind(/nerfmons)

Choonmons

Movin' On Up

Move Mastery

Sorry I can't give any proper coding difficulty to these ones below, I gotta read the description, would do that soon
PokeEmblem
All the Aces
Heart of the Cards
These ones won't take long once started I think

Ability Balance (Would read it once free)

Sorry if I missed any Mod here that wasn't done on purpose, I'll double-check afterwards.

So we can vote just like OMotM SUBMISSIONS are done by voting the mods by typing their name expilictly in a thread as that'd be better than a regular poll I think and then do a tour of 5-7 Mods in Mid-April or May.
I'm totally on board with this idea. And from the like count, I think most of the Pet Mod community is.

An idea I'm going to propose is finding out what the most popular Pet Mods are, so we can prioritize those in coding. Why code a Pet Mod that's hardly popular before something like, idk... Something that is popular (don't wanna say FE because that's gonna take forever to code and don't wanna sound biased).

We'll take into consideration the 3 points of: Difficulty, Time and Popularity so we know what to prioritize. (By we I mean Zard and I, I'm gonna help out with this :P). Help with it is also appreciated, but that's your choice.

Just need to check with G-Luke if it's okay to make a poll on Smogon for it... (I still need Luke's agreement)

I also completely support the idea of a Pet Mod Grand Slam! I'd be willing to host the Eternal Pokemon Open as well as the Playoffs Tiebreaker if applicable.

In addition, I'd like to point out that I think we can afford possibly even 9 or 11 Pet Mods to make it so more Pet Mods can join, though, not to make it too stressful to join ~11 tours and play a best of 6 match in playoffs we can make it so only the 5 best results of each players counts towards points, that way they can qualify by playing their five favorite Mods only! As for the playoffs, the solution can be for players to eliminate Mods they don't want to play, so let's assume 11 Mods join the Grand Slam, we can't make it so each player removes 4 Mods they don't want to play that way they're only playing a bo3.

Overall I'd love if this became true and I really enjoy the competitive direction Pet Mods are taking :)

[EDIT] btw, I'm working on a spreadsheet for EP to make it easier for coding!

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I'd be all for the Grand Slam idea, sounds like a great way to expand our community+test out the metagames!

Although a lot of pet mods aren't fully coded yet, which leads me into my next question...
Is there anywhere I could learn how to code for PS? I have decent coding experience (AP Computer Science + some for fun) and I was just wondering if there was a resource/someone to talk to about it

Ludicrousity

I'd be all for the Grand Slam idea, sounds like a great way to expand our community+test out the metagames!

Although a lot of pet mods aren't fully coded yet, which leads me into my next question...
Is there anywhere I could learn how to code for PS? I have decent coding experience (AP Computer Science + some for fun) and I was just wondering if there was a resource/someone to talk to about it
All of the code for PS is here. It's coded in JavaScript, so having knowledge of that would help with complex coding.
But the main things needed for coding basic pokemon, moves, abilities an items are all in the "data" file. I'll give a quick explanation of what all the files mean in data:
Abilities - This is where all of the abilities are coded. Pretty simple
Aliases - This file isn't as important. It's used to be able to find Pokemon through shorter names. eg: "!dt mmx" works for Mega Mewtwo X on PS because it's coded to do that in Aliases.
BSS Factory Sets - Not really important. It just gives the sets possible in Battle Spot Singles on showdown.
Factory Sets - See above.
Formats Data - I can't even tell what this is. Or it's because it's 3:30 am and I need sleep. Hell if I know.
Items - See abilities, but for items.
Learnsets - Which pokemon can learn what. Also pretty simple
Moves - See abilities, but for moves
Pokedex - Where everything to do with the raw pokemon is coded. Stats, Abilities, Evolutions, Colours, Egg Groups, Weight, Height, etc.
Random Teams- Code for completely random battles. No need to make anything for this
Rulesets - This is where things like Sleep Clause and other clauses are implemented for a meta, and are coded.
Scripts - Codes pretty much half of how Showdown battles work. May aswell leave that.
Statuses - Has the code for things like Burn, Paralysis and Poison. And Weather for some reason...
Typechart - Programs what types are weak against/resistant to what.

Hope this helps.

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
I support the Grand Slam as well. Sounds like a good way for people to get to know the mods more and for the Pet Mod community to expand

With this in mind, I'll dedicate more time into transferring the archieve data of Alola Forms from V2 to V3. I'm also working on a spreadhseet, but it's still got a long way to go before it's finished.

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
With this in mind, I'll dedicate more time into transferring the archieve data of Alola Forms from V2 to V3.
This is now finished! All Alolan Forms created can be found in the first page of Alola Forms V3. I believe this should at the least make finding what has to be coded easier.

(Whenever it's coding begings, let me know, as I'm part of the council of the mod)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)