Pokémon GO

it's one coin per hour spent defending a gym. i got three coins from my snorlax, but currently have my lapras in deep red territory and it's been defending for 12h now, and is constantly getting fed by my teammates, so that should last a while :> and my blissey is in the gym 30 seconds walk from me (level 6 as well) and has also been defending for 10h, so those two should be worth a lot of coins when they eventually return to me

How many coins are people getting, if any?

It's very difficult to get coins, at least imo, since it's too populated here for much to last long...
This is crazy. One coin per hour per Pokemon, rounded down. Which means if your 'mon is kicked out before an hour of staying there, it gets no coins, which is not a good thing, not good at all. Some people mentioned this is either shortsighted punishing system or outright greed on developer's part.

I did get one coin from two Vappies and 4 coins from Blissey I randomly put. All in rather outskirt-ish area. Will keep one Vappy near my own house healthy forever, and hopefully an Arcanine near graveyard of grandpa (although that's quite far already). Bah, no remote berry feeding either.

Also, Pokemon with CP higher than 3000 has motivation decay faster than those within 2000-3000 CP, people noted. At least my Vappies were in 2900 and Gyarados and Rhydons are never good defenders anyway. (I wonder more about my exactly 3000CP Dragon, although I think she's better for attacking).

And I'm salty that attacking still doesn't give incentive at all and instead become harder and even less rewarding. Bah, I enjoy attacking gyms, but they can't expect people to just hold on excitement alone without any incentive. The only incentive is malicious trolling to deny rival players from a single coins. At least I get to upgrade the gym badge, but... this is all?
My motivation in gyms is now only the enjoyment and hoping to someday be qualified for legendary raid....

Oh well, the honeymoon is over. I'm at least glad I have anticipated how difficult coin reward will be and hoarded quite much before, although I didn't expect it to be this bad. Ah well, I'll not expand my bag until a discount sale happens. This will make coins much more valuable than it already was, so I'll go cheapskate mode and hold off until sale on interesting things happens. Never touch shop ever, not even for bag upgrade....

Last edited:
yeah the fact that pokemon with over 3000 CP lose motivation considerably faster than anything else surprised me. however, since TMs have been introduced, once i have some i'll just convert my mons with >3000 CP and defensive movesets to offensive movesets. my iron tail / crunch tyranitar will become bite / crunch, and the second one that's currently a WIP will be bite / stone edge (assuming it doesn't evolve with that moveset haha). this is because tyranitar's moves and typing have an excellent matchup against the gen 1 and 2 legendaries, so having some solid high cp tyranitars will be crucial when raiding them. my dragon breath / hyper beam dragonite will also get changed to outrage probably

Tried out this new gym mechanic and I gotta say that I find it manageable to beat the once former defenders even more. What I find strange is that even losing to blissey via timeout can reduce her Motivation Heart a tiny bit making her lose a bit more CP. I'm still 23 but just beating any mon right now is manageable. I HAVE 3 gyms near my place with a few pokestops. What a wonderful update foron once JOHN HANKE! They may be jack ass, failutes that we gratefully roastedreceived, they are slowly learning as still griwing gane designers,. Please look up to Iwata as your inspiration.

some of my gym badges are not working, had my Dragonite in a gym for nearly 21 hours... only exp added was for 4 feeds of berries... other gym badges already bronze :/ same with my Blissey gym.. only got exp for feeding, not time spent.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
So glad my Perfect Vaporeon maxed out at 2,999 CP for level 36.5. Haha, best roll ever!

Also how do you get into a raid? I don't know how to spend my raid pass!

For coins: Deposit Pokémon just before bed, you will not be challenged while locals are sleeping... I know it's easier for me to get to them while I hack, but you could probably visit local Starbucks or sprint stores around 9:30 or 10 pm in your car and just store them once he crowds are gone, esp if they are opposing teams and won't be challenging you while they sleep, since if you try your own team it may be a full gym.

I just got my 12 coins from last night and I got a 10 hours+ defender badge.
You visit a sponsored gym and hope a raid is occurring. Once this is done, you will see an Egg on top of a gym.

Colors are as follows: Pink Egg (Common Pokemon), Yellow Egg (Rare Pokemon), Blue Egg (Legendary Pokemon) (Not available through regular raids).

There will be a timer on the raid, which you have to wait out. Once the timer expires, the Egg hatches and reveals the boss mon of the gym. From here, you have an hour until the raid boss goes away to engage it. If you WANT to face this raid boss, you enter the gym, click "Battle", spend your Raid Pass, and join a lobby with other people and take it down together. You have 5 minutes (iirc) to kill this boss. After that you get the rewards, the chance to catch it, and you're done.

some of my gym badges are not working, had my Dragonite in a gym for nearly 21 hours... only exp added was for 4 feeds of berries... other gym badges already bronze :/ same with my Blissey gym.. only got exp for feeding, not time spent.
Gym badges do work, you just are confusing mechanics. You can only feed x times (I think 10?) in a certain time frame before you get errored out, so your exp will be given accordingly as you could likely only do 4 feeds. There is no time spent... I think the exp is awarded after the Pokemon comes back.

Raids are now open to levels 31 and above.

You visit a sponsored gym and hope a raid is occurring. Once this is done, you will see an Egg on top of a gym.

Colors are as follows: Pink Egg (Common Pokemon), Yellow Egg (Rare Pokemon), Blue Egg (Legendary Pokemon) (Not available through regular raids).

There will be a timer on the raid, which you have to wait out. Once the timer expires, the Egg hatches and reveals the boss mon of the gym. From here, you have an hour until the raid boss goes away to engage it. If you WANT to face this raid boss, you enter the gym, click "Battle", spend your Raid Pass, and join a lobby with other people and take it down together. You have 5 minutes (iirc) to kill this boss. After that you get the rewards, the chance to catch it, and you're done.

Gym badges do work, you just are confusing mechanics. You can only feed x times (I think 10?) in a certain time frame before you get errored out, so your exp will be given accordingly as you could likely only do 4 feeds. There is no time spent... I think the exp is awarded after the Pokemon comes back.

Raids are now open to levels 31 and above.
we have no sponsored stuff here... and no the gyms badges were not working properly in the first hours.. I got exp in some gyms for sitting there.. ones I took early i got nothing for. except feeding.. I even battled and took 1.... which I also got exp in a gym badge for elsewhere.

breh

強いだね
Seems the coin rate has been upped (1 coin / 10 minutes) and the limit for daily coin limit to 50. I'm personally very fine with this.

Less fine with the total lack of sponsored gyms (just sponsored stops) for raids so I'm salty about that, but I suppose those will come in time.

Somebody on reddit postulated that the raid level requirement at 31 is to fuck over bots (which just need to be level 30)...

i'm not fine with it... I am already penalised by the buggy gym badges... 18 hours in a gym got 64 (before the cap) reaching the 100 limit... and the gym badge is now showing 47 year defending bug and not increased AT ALL for the 18 hours.

find it stupid that they increase the rate so it is actually possible to reach 100.. only to then half it... no logic in that

Eh, am I missing something? How do I get coins? Two of my Pokemon have been a gym (for 48(?) hours already now) and I haven't received a single coin. Where do I redeem them?

breh

強いだね
Eh, am I missing something? How do I get coins? Two of my Pokemon have been a gym (for 48(?) hours already now) and I haven't received a single coin. Where do I redeem them?
Somebody's gotta boot them out first.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
OM!

Yeah, the gyms have to be Starbucks, McDonalds, Sprint, etc. It'll have a blue "Sponsored" on the top right when you click on a gym.

Motivation is still being worked on and we don't understand much of it. It's buggy, has caps, decays significantly from 3000 CP and above, and other nonsense.

breh

強いだね
Seems the raids are now any gym. Two random gyms near me with no affiliation have raids soon.

e: also level 25 or higher now!

It feels like gym battles eat much more of my battery than before. I ran out of battery for my phone after about an hour after beating down two gyms...

In a blink of eye they changed the coin generation rate again. Somehow in low-turnover area this makes overpowered 'mon good for the quick decay.

At least the first problem was temporarily solved. Now, to have mon kicked out first to get the coins is promoting multi-accounts, which is a bad thing and running rampant in my area. Oh well, this system isn't perfect yet, I suppose, but they're heading to better direction.

I have just had to go out retaking gyms late at night because of this new format.. it is creating MORE GREED here, and people are playing this late because they hold them overnight, stealing from locals.... before I could clear them whenever and get my coins... now I had to go out and remove random car drivers from gyms because I had hardly any left just to get a claim for tomorrow... this is a massive flaw..

I have just had to go out retaking gyms late at night because of this new format.. it is creating MORE GREED here, and people are playing this late because they hold them overnight, stealing from locals.... before I could clear them whenever and get my coins... now I had to go out and remove random car drivers from gyms because I had hardly any left just to get a claim for tomorrow... this is a massive flaw..
Eh, at least this is still so much better than the coin drought that was happening earlier, so I'd not call it "massive" flaw. Be thankful of what you got. I certainly miss the time my strategic placement give me a lot of coins daily, but now I learn to appreciate the value.

Anyway, got to do my first two raids.
First: 30k CP Rhydon
For my first one, I'm pretty happy to deploy my Vaporeon division, although I already regret putting one with ATail in an outskirt neighborhood of my team's stagnant territory that he'll never go home. We got few players apparently, and it took more than 90 seconds to bring him down. Blitz wasn't kidding, this isn't meant to be solo.

Took me one Vappy fainted and the other at half health. Got only 10 balls, and somehow they're still quite aggresive, attacking and jumping too often. Still caught it in first try with a berry+Great throw. Outstanding IV, moveset is double Ground.

Second: 18k Machamp
I used the pass I got yesterday, and I got another today. Anyway, in first try, it ended up into a solo run because of me crashing. I missed the right group of people.
I don't have enough Psychic Pokemon with me (decent one is only near perfect, perfect moveset Alakazam? I haven't raised yet, an Espeon, and Exegutor?. Predictably, failed the solo run, with his HP around 10% and I got wiped out once.
Second try, another player joins. Seeing how close I was, I think I could do it this time, and yeah, we did. Even though the other player was dumb enough to use a Tyranitar against a Machamp.

Got around 12 balls. Turned into a Counter / Close Combat one. Not bad, I suppose. But this one is really, really annoying, I had to wait for him and throw the ball in near the end of his attack animation. Got it with 3 balls, berry included.
Seriously, you'll want to keep practicing ball throws.

All of these, I got Rare Candies immediately turned into Larvitar candy. I know I'll need army of kaijuu for facing legendaries. No TM, sadly....

I'll have to raise my team. High DPS 'mon will be in high demand, I think I should start maxing out Alakazam. And probably evolve newly hatched Eevee yesterday into Espeon....

If it's one thing raids do, is increase the viability of anything!

Lol a Quilava was listed as a Raid Pokémon, not even Fully evolved, and if you have to evolve it, there is no telling if the moveset it has (say it would have been perfect) would be no guarantee the moveset would be a perfect one as a Typhlosion, since evolution means it gets re-randomized.

I was in SF but was in an Uber and didn't have time for the raids.

Rare candies are a blessing, without enough coins to get incubators, they are the only way to get the candies you need.

I haven't completed a raid yet, but tell me, are they above level 30? What level? How good were the IVs? 95%, 91%?
I can only tell they're outstanding as Lady Blanche said. Seems like both are Lv20, just like hatched Pokemon. This might add evidence to the statement that caught Raid Boss has IV like those hatched eggs, no less than 10 in each stat.
Ah checked, Machamp has 13/15/13, best in Atk. This is good wallbreaker, another recruit.

Oh, also, the caught raid boss has different moves than the boss battled before. It is no guarantee that the Raid Boss has same moves after defeated and captured.

Last edited:
I manage to solo a Electabuzz 12000 CP ... There is a Snorlax with 22000 CP, I don't think I'm able to solo it ?
For the love of Arceus, DON'T. Even a group of 5 people couldn't beat it, I have read. Tier 4 Raids are very brutal.
Tier 3 Raids can still be soloed, but very difficult. Must have whole group of counters and be at decent level.
Tier 1 and 2 are quite easy, they say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)