Pokémon X & Y In-game Tier List Discussion (MkII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riolu isn't the only Pokemon whose viability depends considerably on how you catch and start training it. It seems to me that we simply tier the more viable variant each time, and the most efficient choice takes precedence above inferior choices.
It just seemed a much more notable case as a gift Pokémon - heck, it's the only different-locations thing noted as such in the OP.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So maybe this sounds like blasphemy, but... I'm not entirely sure about Aerodactyl in S-rank. Don't get me wrong, based purely on battle performance I have no problem with it; it's amazing and as a mega was a complete MVP on a Y run I had. Buuuut... my contention comes from it's availability. If this is based on efficiency, you're not going to have a lot of fun smashing rocks over and over in the hopes of finding an Old Amber. I don't know the exact percentages, but what I do know is that I spent ages and ages and ages just smashing all the rocks in the place, mostly uncovering nothing or a wild Pokémon, exiting and entering again, until finally I got... a hard stone. It took me so long to find an Old Amber I simply can't consider Aerodactyl to be among the absolute best Pokémon in the game from an efficiency standpoint - talking of efficiency, it's also in the slow exp gain group; so assuming we don't have exp share it's a bit of a pain to train.
Difficulty of obtaining is not generally factored in this list, just how late it is obtained though this may not have been the best of ideas. Though in Aero's case, you can reasonably expect to get one at least one per runthrough since it is the only item you can get from those rocks before the post game (Hard Stone is in the 3D area only) so the only thing you need to contend with is the high wild encounter rate.

We really need to know wild odds over a long term to really get the expected rate of getting an Old Amber first though.

Difficulty of obtaining is not generally factored in this list, just how late it is obtained though this may not have been the best of ideas. Though in Aero's case, you can reasonably expect to get one at least one per runthrough since it is the only item you can get from those rocks before the post game (Hard Stone is in the 3D area only) so the only thing you need to contend with is the high wild encounter rate.

We really need to know wild odds over a long term to really get the expected rate of getting an Old Amber first though.
Wait, what? There's no rock smash areas in the 3D area of glittering cave; and you can find Hard Stones and Revives through rock smashing the same rocks you get Old Amber from. I understand the rest of your reasoning - especially the knowing rates/percentages bit - but I'm not sure where you got this from.

edit: if you need malleable proof; here's a video of a Let's Play which at this point has only just defeated Grant. At around the 3:45 mark, they smash a rock and receive a revive instead of an old amber. They're lucky enough to get an old amber on the second rock smash, but yeah. I myself remember getting a very large stockpile of hard stones from those rocks >.>

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I can add from very anecdotal evidence that it took me awhile to get old amber too... I'll be starting a new game after this weekend in order to use an aerodactyl and see how long it'll take me to get an old amber.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Just a note that I have updated the OP(s) with Sheddy, Gible, and Klefki entries and added the take care to fight little trainers as possible with Exp. Share recommendation as per previous page.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Continuing to cover the endgame mons~

ik leafeon isnt technically endgame but you dont get it till then

Eevee (Leafeon)
Availability:
Route 10, 5-20%.
Stats: Mediocre stats for a huge chunk of the game due to being stuck as an Eevee until evolving where is becomes physically bulky with decent physically offensive stats.
Typing: Normal-typing for a long time hurts it and when it finally gains its Grass-typing, its typing is little better in a sea of Pokémon that either hit it super effectively or resist its main STAB.
Movepool: Being an Eevee and having its bad movepool until the endgame means it is almost certainly either going to rely on Heart Scales to get its best physical STAB in Leaf Blade or be severely underleveled. It does get good endgame coverage outside of that through X-Scissor and Dig, as well as a good setup move in Swords Dance.
Major Battles: Eevee flat out struggles against basically everything from the get-go and when Leafeon is finally obtained, it does not fare better with exactly one good compulsory matchup in Siebold. Outside of that it generally struggles.
Additional Comments: Being stuck as an Eevee for most of the game greatly hinders any potency Leafeon could have.

Banette
Availability:
Pokémon Village, Trash Cans on Thursdays only.
Stats: Strong Attack stat complimented by mediocre stats elsewhere.
Typing: Ghost-typing for what is left in the game is decent with a few good and bad matchups but mostly average.
Movepool: Banette's physical movepool is barren being limited to Shadow Claw, Dark-, and Normal-type coverage though Sucker Punch off the bat helps offset speed issues. It's special movepool is a bit more varied but pales in comparison in terms of power and it carries a decent support movepool.
Major Battles: Basically average in terms of matchups across the board for what is left though its middling speed and lack of EV's to make up for it tend to let it down.
Additional Comments: Banette being in the Fast Exp. Group helps erase any initial grind time it might have.

EDIT: Found out Banette only shows up on Thursdays thanks to atsync so I added that in. Thank you!

Last edited:
Sandile
Availability:[/B] Route 9
Stats: Sandile has fairly good Attack and Speed. Once it turns into Krookodile, 117 base Attack combined with Moxie gives it potential as a sweeper. Unfortunately, its 95/70/70 defences are iffy.
Typing: Being Ground/Dark makes it useful, as it gets two immunities that also show up as Gym Leader types.
Movepool: Sandile's movepool is barren until you can buy Dig in Shalour City. Once bought and taught to Sandile, it becomes slightly more useful. Once you get Krookodile, it gets access to Crunch, Earthquake, and Outrage.
Major Battles: Krookodile will have an easy time beating Clemont and Olympia. Clemont's Emolga can be solved by teaching Krokorok/Krookodile Rock Tomb to handle it, while Olympia's Meowstic has Fake Out. It will have an easy time against Calem/Serena's Meowstic and Jolteon/Flareon.
Additional Comments: Intimidate is decent, but if you can get hold of Moxie, it is lethal as a late-game sweeper.

I think it should be B, because even though it struggles before evolution, it is extremely strong with Moxie in the late-game.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
I have updated the OP with the three entries on this page though I did a bit of rewording of the Sandile entry to be a bit more to the point and noting bad matchups. Also a beware the Heliolisk warning since you will not have a Krookodile by then and Emolga and Magneton can put it into KO range of its Grass Knot (it outspeeds) and you can miss out on the Dig KO assuming Lv37 and 20 EV's in each stat for Krokorok:

0 SpA Heliolisk Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 20 HP / 20 SpD Krokorok: 68-80 (68.6 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
20 Atk Krokorok Dig vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heliolisk: 98-116 (98 - 116%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

That said I will do write-ups on Gothorita and Jigglypuff since they come in the endgame and are easier to write up for. And then watch the thread die again. :|

EDIT:

Gothorita
Availability:
Route 20, 10-30%.
Stats: Gothorita only has average offensive power with decent special bulk. It suffers from having middling speed.
Typing: Psychic-typing provides decent neutral matchups in the last stages of the game with the odd good or bad matchup here and there.
Movepool: Gothorita comes with Psychic and its decent offensive movepool comprises of Psychic, Thunderbolt, Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball, and Energy Ball. Most of its support movepool is of little use but Calm Mind is a great asset.
Major Battles: Gothorita's matchups are largely neutral with its best matchup being Wulfric due to its ability to set up on Abomasnow and sweep. It has decent matchups in the Pokémon League but each member save Drasna has something that can outspeed and seriously dent it physically.
Additional Comments: Competitive is the preferred ability to take advantage of stat drops.

Jigglypuff
Availability:
Route 20, 10-20%.
Stats: Jigglypuff has huge HP but terrible defenses, terrible speed and average offenses at best.
Typing: Normal/Fairy-typing for what is left in the game gives it mostly netural matchups with the occasional good and bad matchup.
Movepool: Jigglypuff learns a huge array of offensive moves including (but not limited to) Dazzling Gleam, Hyper Voice, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, and Thunderbolt. Its support movepool is forgettable.
Major Battles: Jigglypuff reliably handles Drasna outside of Dragalge and can generally be teched to make an impact in any battle. It does not do well against Wilkstrom and it does not hit hard enough in most other matchups.
Additional Comments: Competitive is preferred to take advantage of stat drops and its Fast Growth rate reduces initial grind time.

Last edited:
I won't let this thread die

Noctowl
Availability:
Route 20, Pokémon Village (10-30%)
Stats: Solid special bulk, decent special attack, average speed, below-average physical bulk and attack.
Typing: Normal/Flying offers little to Noctowl offensively and defensively. Aside from an immunity to Ground and Ghost, Noctowl cannot rely on this typing as a defensive Pokémon and has no particularly powerful STAB move to take advantage of.
Movepool: Noctowl's movepool is unfortunately relatively barren. In terms of Level the only notable moves are it's only reliable STAB Air Slash and the fairly unreliable Hypnosis + Dream Eater combination through Heart Scale. Noctowl has very few TMs in it's movepool; but it can take advantage of Psychic and Shadow Ball for certain E4 opponents, Roost as a healing move and Reflect to support it's teammates.
Major Battles: Out of the few remaining battles in the game, Noctowl has very little it can do. It has a bad match-up against Wulfric, only managing to get in an Air Slash against Abomasnow; is walled by Wikstrom and is generally powered through by the rest of the Elite 4 and Diantha. The most it can do is set up Reflect for teammates, take advantage of it's special bulk in combination with Shadow Ball and Psychic for Malva's Chandelure and Drasna's Dragalge respectively and get off an Air Slash against Diantha's Hawlucha and Gourgeist.
Additional Comments: If trying to take advantage of the Psychic TM, keep in mind it cannot be accessed until Wulfric is beaten.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In honor of Steelicks.

Availability: Glittering Cave (3D area), Rare. Cyllage City, trade Luvdisc.
Typing: Ground and Steel is a powerful defensive combination that makes it impervious against many different types of Pokemon. Its immunity to being poisoned and paralyzed is a huge boon.
Stats: Steelix has a titanic Defense. Steelix suffers from having an average HP and Attack stat while having a low Special Defense stat. Its low Speed is great for STAB Gyro Ball.
Movepool: Early access to Gyro Ball and Bulldoze makes Grant a breeze to face against. After defeating Grant Rock Tomb can be added to compliment Bulldoze. Eventually Steelix will learn Dig and Earthquake via TM and can learn Rock Slide, Iron Tail, and Stone Edge naturally at reasonable levels. Heart Scales allows Steelix to learn elemental fangs or Curse. As an added bonus Steelix learns Stealth Rock naturally.
Major Battles: Steelix crushes Grant, Clemont, Valerie, and Wulfric. Steelix can muscle through Korrina since Power-up Punch has very low base power and Hawlucha's Flying Press is neutral. Steelix also does average against Olympia. In the Elite Four Steelix is very notable against Wikstrom and can provide use against Diantha. Despite Stealth Rock being capable of crippling Malva Steelix can only set up Stealth Rock against Talonflame and Torkoal. Steelix does decently against Team Flare barring Houndours and Houndooms.
Other: Metal Coat is unobtainable until The Poke Ball Factory - it is advised to use the Steelix obtained from a trade. The traded Steelix comes with an Impish nature and is easier to level. Steelix is very heavy so it is susceptible to Low Kick and Grass Knot.

Also based Combee.

Availability: Route 4, Common. Route 7, Shaking Grass.
Typing: Bug and Flying is a decent typing that offers some resistances with an immunity to Ground. It is extremely vulnerable to Rock.
Stats: Combee is very fast with poor offenses and questionable durability. When Combee evolves into Vespiquen it becomes very slow; however, Vespiquen's defenses are greatly improved while its offenses are brought up-to-par.
Movepool: Combee starts with Gust as its only offensive move and, eventually, learns Bug Bite. Vespiquen can learn Aerial Ace and Acrobatics via TM and obtains Air Slash and Attack Order mid- to late-game. Vespiquen learns Power Gem and Heal Order naturally.
Major Battles: Vespiquen does decently against Korrina and Ramos. Aerial Ace will wear through Korrina's team while a combination of Acrobatics and Bug Bite will chew through Ramos. Vespiquen can at least help against Olympia. Late game Vespiquen might as well be non-existent as it cannot get through Wikstrom and does terrible against Malva and Diantha.
Other: A female Combee is necessary in order to get Vespiquen. A male Combee is necessary in order to unlock Challenger Mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if anyone's interested I was really bored and went ahead and listed everything that doesn't have an analysis for quick reference

S-tier

· Charmander [X]

A-tier

· Budew

· Bulbasaur

B-tier

· Abra

· Axew

· Ferroseed

· Nidoran F

· Nidoran M

· Onix (Trade)

· Ralts (Gallade)

· Starly

· Staryu

· Tyrunt

· Xerneas [X]

C-tier

· Absol

· Bidoof

· Binacle

· Drifloon

· Eevee (Vaporeon)

· Emolga

· Hariyama

· Haunter (w/o trade)

· Kangaskhan

· Lapras

· Machop

· Miltank

· Pancham

· Pansear

· Scraggy

· Shellder

· Snorlax

· Solosis

· Tauros

· Tentacool

· Venipede

· Zubat

D-tier

· Aron

· Bagon

· Basculin

· Bellsprout

· Bergmite

· Bunnelby

· Carvanha

· Caterpie

· Chatot

· Clauncher

· Corphish

· Cryogonal

· Cubchoo

· Ducklett

· Durant

· Dwebble

· Electrike

· Farfetch’d

· Floatzel

· Geodude (w/ trade)

· Goldeen

· Golett

· Goomy

· Gorebyss

· Gulpin

· Gurdurr

· Heatmor

· Hippopotas

· Houndour

· Huntail

· Inkay

· Kecleon

· Litleo

· Litwick

· Lombre

· Lunatone

· Mantyke

· Mareep

· Nincada

· Oddish (bellossom)

· Panpour

· Pansage

· Pawniard

· Phantump (w/ Trade)

· Piloswine

· Poliwag (Politoed)

· Poliwag (Poliwrath)

· Psyduck

· Quagsire

· Relicanth

· Remoraid

· Rhyhorn

· Rotom

· Sableye

· Shelmet (w/trade)

· Skorupi

· Smoochum

· Snover

· Snubbull

· Spoink

· Spritzee (w/ trade)

· Stunfisk

· Stunky

· Swablu

· Swirlix (w/ trade)

· Taillow

· Ursaring

· Weedle

· Whismur

· Woobat

· Zigzagoon

E-tier

· Alomomola

· Ariados

· Audino

· Barboach

· Burmy (Wormadam Sand)

· Burmy (Wormadam Trash)

· Carbink

· Carnivine

· Chingling

· Combee

· Delibird

· Dunsparce

· Eevee (Glaceon)

· Ekans

· Electrode

· Exeggcute

· Foongus

· Geodude (w/o trade)

· Gothorita

· Hoppip

· Illumise

· Jigglypuff

· Larvitar

· Liepard

· Masquerain

· Mawile

· Mightyena

· Minun

· Noctowl

· Noibat

· Nosepass

· Plusle

· Qwilfish

· Roggenrola

· Sandslash

· Scyther

· Skitty

· Slowpoke (Slowbro)

· Slowpoke (Slowking)

· Slugma

· Sneasel

· Spritzee (w/o trade)

· Sudowoodo

· Swirlix (w/o trade)

· Torkoal

· Trubbish

· Vanillite

· Volbeat

· Wailmer

· Watchog

· Wingull

F-tier

the things with slashes are those that have analyses posted here but are not yet approved/updated on the op
lmao @ f-tier being complete but charizard x having no analysis tho

I could take Tyrunt, will update later.

Ack, sorry this is late.

Tyrunt

Availability:
Gift, receive Jaw Fossil from the Scientist in Glittering Cave
Typing: Rock/Dragon is a pretty cool offensive typing, but removes some important resistances to Water and Grass while adding weaknesses to Ice, Fighting, and Ground amongst others. A 4x resistance to Fire definitely helps.
Stats: Great Attack and a solid Defense state are let down by awful Special Defense and a lackluster speed. Don't expect Tyrunt or Tyrantrum to outspeed too much, but they can definitely take a physical hit if necessary.
Movepool: Tyrunt's level-up movepool is devoid of its preferred physical Rock STAB until Head Smash at level 58; however, its unique ability Strong Jaws gives it STAB on Bite and Crunch, which should be enough to tide you over until Dragon Claw at level 37. Rock Tomb can be used as STAB and as a way to rectify Tyrunt's poor speed. Coverage-wise, Tyrantrum can learn Earthquake and Bulldoze through TM (Tyrunt gets Earthquake via level-up but only at level 44), and Normal-type moves like Stomp and Thrash are also options.
Major Battles: Tyrunt struggles against Grant without coverage moves and his Rock-typing is a let-down vs. Korrina. He is neutral against Ramos but his resistance aids greatly against all of Clemont's Pokemon barring Magneton. Tyrantrum falls flat vs. Viola but his Strong Jaws Crunch and Rock moves can take down Olympia. As might be expected, Tyrantrum does poorly vs. Wulfric although his Rock moves are super-effective. Tyrantrum has an excellent matchup vs. Malva but struggles vs. the rest due to his typing and defences. Against Diantha, Tyrantrum can take out Gourgeist, Goodra, and possibly the opposing Tyrantrum but dies to Hawlucha and Gardevoir. Tyrantrum can muscle through Team Flare's Poison and Fire Pokemon without much trouble.
Other: For nighttime players, it's important to note that Tyrunt only evolves at lv. 39 during the daytime.

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Wait. What'you mean, Krookodile struggles against Valerie? You can 4HKO her entire team with Crunch by then.
Yeah it can do okay against Valerie as a Krookodile but you would need to go out of the way to grind to get Krookodile by then in an efficient run; there is only one mandatory encounter between Clemont and Valerie (The Rival) so assuming Exp. Share on there will not be a big jump in levels unless you go out of your way to beat random trainers. Dig at +1 (assuming Moxie) however misses out on the KO on Sylveon and with possible prior damage (Bulldoze is an unreliable KO on Mawile and Dig simply results in it using Iron Defence to live a hit and chip back or something), Sylveon can live a hit and KO Krook. Mr. Mime just gets KOed at +1 and is outsped (Assuming 16 IV's and 24 EV's across the board for Krook at Lv40).

I guess I can alter the write-up to say it struggles unless you evolve it, because if it evolves, it does quite well assuming Moxie, otherwise as a Krokorok as it will likely be, it will struggle.

I will probably assess the other writeups later tonight.

Yeah it can do okay against Valerie as a Krookodile but you would need to go out of the way to grind to get Krookodile by then in an efficient run; there is only one mandatory encounter between Clemont and Valerie (The Rival) so assuming Exp. Share on there will not be a big jump in levels unless you go out of your way to beat random trainers. Dig at +1 (assuming Moxie) however misses out on the KO on Sylveon and with possible prior damage (Bulldoze is an unreliable KO on Mawile and Dig simply results in it using Iron Defence to live a hit and chip back or something), Sylveon can live a hit and KO Krook. Mr. Mime just gets KOed at +1 and is outsped (Assuming 16 IV's and 24 EV's across the board for Krook at Lv40).

I guess I can alter the write-up to say it struggles unless you evolve it, because if it evolves, it does quite well assuming Moxie, otherwise as a Krokorok as it will likely be, it will struggle.

I will probably assess the other writeups later tonight.
Never mind, I had a brain fart and thought Valerie was the Psychic-type leader for some reason.

Carry on.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
OP(s) updated after spending an hour trimming down analyses to be more concise and changing some things around like the Steelix vs. Korrina matchup where a Lv28 Gift Steelix without attack investment must have perfect rolls to 3HKO Hawlucha, who can 3HKO-4HKO in return with Power-Up Punch after the "snowball" effect. But that is what Rocky Helmet is for, right?

Not reserving at the moment but keep up the good work folks, just try to keep things to the point.

Tagging for Clauncher and Caterpie. Will get the write-ups soon.

EDIT:
Clauncher [X]
Availability:
Route 8, Ambrette Town, Cyllage City (Good Rod). You'll need to backtrack from Coumarine to get it.
Stats: As Clauncher, its stats are all between 44 (Speed) and 63 (Special Defense). Once it evolves, it at least hits a decent 120 Special Attack, so it's got that going for it, but 59 Speed holds it back.
Typing: Pure Water-type, it only has two weaknesses. Unfortunately, both of these are in back-to-back gyms (Ramos and Clemont), so you won't be using Clauncher against either of those guys.
Movepool: It gets Surf and Waterfall, but you're best off with a moveset of Water Pulse/Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere/Surf. Dragon Pulse hits nothing super-effectively until Drasna. Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere will require Heart Scales. Clawitzer also gets Ice Beam, which isn't available until the eighth gym but gives some coverage against Dragon- and Grass-types.
Major Battles: Clawitzer isn't very good at first, but in the late-game, it demolishes Olympia and Wulfric with Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere. It destroys Malva's entire team, while it can be useful against Wikstrom and Drasna with the right moves and Diantha's Aurorus and Gourgeist,
Additional Comments: Mega Launcher gives Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere 120 Base Power. Water Pulse hits 135 with Mega Launcher and STAB. Finally, do note that getting Clawitzer requires Flying back to Cyllage City to obtain, and as such, isn't very efficient.

EDIT AGAIN:
Caterpie
Availability: Santalune Forest (both), Route 2 (Y only), 10% in Santaluen Forest in X, 20% in Santalune Forest in Y, 11% on Route 2. Metapod can also be obtained in Santalune Forest at a 4% chance.
Stats: Flat-out awful until Butterfree. It has 45 HP and Speed as its highest stats as a Caterpie, and its highest stat as a Metapod is Defense at 55. Even after evolving into Butterfree, it still only has 80 Special Attack and Special Defense.
Typing: Bug/Flying isn't bad, but Grant's a Rock-type leader. Also, Team Flare uses a lot of Fire- and Poison-types.
Movepool: Butterfree has a grand total of five level-up attacking moves: Confusion, Gust, Psybeam, Silver Wind, and Bug Buzz. Not only that, all of the good special attacking TMs that it can get (Psychic, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball) are located right at the end of the game (Psychic in the Pokémon Village, Shadow Ball in Terminus Cave, and Energy Ball on Route 20.
Major Battles: Butterfree is bad against the first two gyms. It gets some redemption against Korrina and Ramos, being able to use Gust or Psybeam to damage and use Whirlwind to stop Korrina's team from racking up too many attack boosts with Power-Up Punch. It can wreck Olympia if you have Bug Buzz (though you need to watch for Sigilyph). Unfortunately, Team Flare uses a lot of Fire-types, which Butterfree can't hit super-effectively with anything it has.
Additional Comments: Butterfree has bad stats, a barren special movepool, and has some crippling weaknesses. Overall, it's not recommended in-game.[/B]

Last edited:

EDIT:
Clauncher [X]
Availability:
Route 8, Ambrette Town, Cyllage City (Good Rod). You'll need to backtrack from Coumarine to get it.
Stats: As Clauncher, its stats are all between 44 (Speed) and 63 (Special Defense). Once it evolves, it at least hits a decent 120 Special Attack, so it's got that going for it, but 59 Speed holds it back.
Typing: Pure Water-type, it only has two weaknesses. Unfortunately, both of these are in back-to-back gyms (Ramos and Clemont), so you won't be using Clauncher against either of those guys.
Movepool: It gets Surf and Waterfall, but you're best off with a moveset of Water Pulse/Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere/Surf. Dragon Pulse hits nothing super-effectively until Drasna. Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere will require Heart Scales.
Major Battles: Clawitzer is useless against any of the gyms other than Wulfric, and that's if you have Aura Sphere on it. It destroys Malva and Diantha's Aurorus and Gourgeist, but that's about it.
Additional Comments: Mega Launcher gives Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere 120 Base Power. Water Pulse hits 135 with Mega Launcher and STAB. Do note that this requires Flying back to Cyllage City to obtain, and as such, isn't very efficient.
[/B]
I think Ice Beam would be worth adding to the movepool list since it does give Clawitzer an edge over both Dragons and Grass-types while also hitting more things SE. I guess it is late-game though, but it should at least get a mention.

EDIT:
Clauncher [X]
Availability:
Movepool: It gets Surf and Waterfall, but you're best off with a moveset of Water Pulse/Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere/Surf. Dragon Pulse hits nothing super-effectively until Drasna. Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere will require Heart Scales. Clawitzer also gets Ice Beam, which isn't available until the eighth gym but gives some coverage against Dragon- and Grass-types.
Major Battles: Clawitzer is useless against any of the gyms other than Wulfric, and that's if you have Aura Sphere on it. It destroys Malva and Diantha's Aurorus and Gourgeist, but that's about it.
Additional Comments: Mega Launcher gives Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere 120 Base Power. Water Pulse hits 135 with Mega Launcher and STAB. Do note that this requires Flying back to Cyllage City to obtain, and as such, isn't very efficient.
[/B]
I really don't think I'd call Clawitzer's match-up against gyms between Korrina and Wulfric "useless". Grass and Electric gyms sure; but it's neutral vs Valerie and if you use a Heart Scale to get Dark Pulse it can tear apart Olympia. And it's certainly not useless vs Wikstrom and Drasna; and then to say "that's it" when it can wreck Malva's whole team just has me really confused at your whole Major Battles section.

I really don't think I'd call Clawitzer's match-up against gyms between Korrina and Wulfric "useless". Grass and Electric gyms sure; but it's neutral vs Valerie and if you use a Heart Scale to get Dark Pulse it can tear apart Olympia. And it's certainly not useless vs Wikstrom and Drasna; and then to say "that's it" when it can wreck Malva's whole team just has me really confused at your whole Major Battles section.
Fixed.

Reserving Pancham
Pancham

Availability: Route 5, 10% in Grass, 20% in Purple Flowers
Typing: Fighting-->Dark/Fighting post-evolution. Dark/Fighting has decent offensive coverage but brings quite a few prominent weaknesses to Fighting, Fairy, and Flying, although the Psychic immunity helps
Stats: Pancham and Pangoro pack high Attack, average HP and defences, and a low speed.
Movepool: Karate Chop and Arm Thrust should suffice for the early-game period, until lv. 42 when Crunch arrives. Sky Uppercut and Hammer Arm are Pangoro's most powerful Fighting moves but both have accuracy problems and lower speed in Hammer Arm's case. TM-wise, Payback and Brick Break can be used for alternative STAB moves while Rock Slide, Earthquake, and Poison Jab are good coverage moves. Pangoro has access to Power-Up Punch and Swords Dance for boosting. Parting Shot is an interesting move but generally not useful in-game.
Major Battles: Pangoro puts on good performances vs. Grant, Olympia, and Wulfric while struggling against Valerie and Korrina. Pangoro's standout performance in the Elite 4 is against Wikstrom, and it can KO individual members of the other E4 teams as well as some of the Champion's Pokemon. Pangoro does decently against Team Flare and is an option vs. Lysandre's Mega Gyarados.
Other: Pancham requires a Dark-type in the party to evolve.

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Just throwing it out there, but I think Dunsparce being in E is a little unfair to the Tsuchinoko. Sure it isn't a major powerhouse late-game, but it's pretty good early game. Dunsparce starts off with Defense Curl and Rollout, which gives Viola's gym and the early route trainers the big middle finger, and it also acquires Return a route later and Bulldoze in Lumiose, which gives it nice coverage choices early on (and it has Rage, which helps out early game when Return's BP isn't high).

I'm not saying it's an S-tier mon or anything, but I think it would fit better in D than E, since it isn't dead weight early on.

Delibird
Availability:
Route 17, 40% (stepping on it with Mamoswine)
Stats: Delibird has 65 Special Attack and 75 Speed, but its 45/45/45 defenses really hold it back.
Typing: Ice/Flying isn't bad, but it has three weaknesses (to Fire, Electric, and Rock).
Movepool: It gets one level-up move, Present. Present is a physical move. Delibird has 55 base Attack. It gets two good STAB special moves through TMs, but one of the two (Blizzard) requires Hail setup (which luckily, it also learns). It cannot dent anybody on Malva, Siebold, or Wikstrom's team.
Major Battles: The only one of Olympia's Pokémon that it can hit super-effectively with STAB is Sigilyph (which outspeeds it). As mentioned before, it can't touch Wulfric or three of the Elite Four, while it's too slow to do anything to Drasna's dragons with the exception of Druddigon (which can hit like a truck with Outrage if you can't OHKO it)
Additional Comments: If you really wanted, you can run a Hustle/Aerial Ace set, which at least gives it a fairly decent base Attack with perfect accuracy and STAB.
[/B]

Last edited:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Delibird's Attack is actually ~90 with Hustle. It multiplies the actual Attack stat, not the base stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)