Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bump this up again, can we have ice shard Vanilluxe? It is great ;_;
You need a better reason that "it is great" because I have never ever heard of Ice Shard Vanilluxe being a thing. Sure, it has 3 base ATK more than its fellow Snow Warning Ice Shard companion Abomasnow, but Abomasnow has a secondary STAB typing and good coverage in EQ if needed. Vanilluxe... will end up with three different Ice STABs (Blizzard, Freeze-Dry, and Ice Shard) and then somewhat meager coverage in Flash Cannon and HP Ground since everything else it has sucks, plus Autotomize, a speed-boosting ability that Abomasnow does not have the luxury of using.

duck

duck
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You need a better reason that "it is great" because I have never ever heard of Ice Shard Vanilluxe being a thing. Sure, it has 3 base ATK more than its fellow Snow Warning Ice Shard companion Abomasnow, but Abomasnow has a secondary STAB typing and good coverage in EQ if needed. Vanilluxe... will end up with three different Ice STABs (Blizzard, Freeze-Dry, and Ice Shard) and then somewhat meager coverage in Flash Cannon and HP Ground since everything else it has sucks, plus Autotomize, a speed-boosting ability that Abomasnow does not have the luxury of using.
Yes you are right, I'm sorry I but i already mentioned this.
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/vanilluxe/nu/
Life orb stab priority is good for an all out attacker like him, also most of quiver dancer and dragon dancer are weak to ice and that sometime might be gamechanging.

Also Close Combat on Granbull is one of the main selling point of it, huge option for steel types and hits harder than eq

I just got a Lilligant with Protect/HP Rock/Sleep Powder/Helping Hand in Doubles - that is, with no Grass STAB. Also a Dedenne with Petaya Berry and Volt Switch as its only special STAB.

Last edited:
This isn't about specific movesets, but I have ideas for random battles in general.

The EV spreads of generated Pokemon should depend on their movesets instead of putting 84 in every stat.

Second, I noticed that people complain about box art legendaries making sweeping too easy. I understand that low-tier Pokemon come with higher levels, but can those levels be a little bit higher? Also, can untiered Pokemon come with higher levels than Pokemon in the lowest tier?

Third, I think the team generator should make sure that no four Pokemon on one team share a weakness and at least 6 attacks on each team are neutral or strong against each type. If a team fails one of these checks, the generator should randomly replace Pokemon until the team passes.

Last edited:
I made a thread for this instead of replying to the suggestions thread because that thread said, "no metagame suggestions."

First, I noticed that all Pokemon that don't know gyro ball or trick room have max speed investment. It can sometimes be frustrating, such as when a player gets a full team of walls with max speed investment and not enough defenses. The EV spreads of generated Pokemon should depend on their movesets. That way, walls can be just as good as sweepers.

Second, I noticed that people complain about box art legendaries making sweeping too easy. I understand that low-tier Pokemon come with higher levels, but can those levels be a little bit higher?

Third, I think the team generator should make sure that no four Pokemon on one team share a weakness and at least 6 attacks on each team are neutral or strong against each type. If a team fails one of these checks, the generator should randomly replace Pokemon until the team passes.
Just letting you know, all Pokemon in random battles have 84 EVs in every stat. That's why even Gyro Ball users have speed investment, because the EV spreads aren't changed based on the Pokemon.

duck

duck
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just letting you know, all Pokemon in random battles have 84 EVs in every stat. That's why even Gyro Ball users have speed investment, because the EV spreads aren't changed based on the Pokemon.
No this is wrong. All pokemon with no physical attacking moves has 0 ev and ivs and all pokemon with gyroball/trick room as well.
In a more general level, if you want EVs and everything there is Battle Factory :)

Reactions: Wob
Not 100% sure if this is the place to post this but Swords Dance + BP Shedinja is illegal, yet I still got it in a randbat.
upload_2017-3-24_11-54-2.png

E: ah, didn't realize randbats ignores event illegalities.

Last edited:
Could I suggest removing non-crystal Z moves from Hackmons Cup? they are just a waste of a moveslot and sometimes you get multiple of these on your team, maybe even on the same 'mon. Honestly a 1 BP move is never gonna be useful.
Also, can someone explain me why exclusive Z moves retain the same BP and effect instead? (i.e. Stoked Sparksurfer will be a usable 175 BP move with the paralysis effect, even if you don't have the appropriate crystal)

What's the point in having dark pulse over snarl if my ability is technician?
Moves get picked first, then abilities, resulting in "oh look, HP Fighting, I guess Technician will work, also nobody told me that we had Snarl"

Also you don't lose too much damage output from Dark Pulse anyways, it's what, 2.5 BP difference?

What's the point in having a sub-roost Articuno without roost? By the way, the Breloom didn't know spore, but I forgot to take a screenshot of that.
Moves get picked first, then abilities, resulting in "oh look, HP Fighting, I guess Technician will work, also nobody told me that we had Snarl"

Also you don't lose too much damage output from Dark Pulse anyways, it's what, 2.5 BP difference?
It lowers the target's special attack, which can be very useful at times.

Worst Ghostceus ever:

This Blissey is a safe switchin? Think again!

EDIT: Mega Salamence:

The more STAB, the merrier!

Last edited:
Also, can someone explain me why exclusive Z moves retain the same BP and effect instead? (i.e. Stoked Sparksurfer will be a usable 175 BP move with the paralysis effect, even if you don't have the appropriate crystal)
The effect of an exclusive z-move is set. For example, stoked sparksurfer always has 175 base power. The power of type z-moves depends on the base move, so it becomes 1 if there's no base move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)