SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in other words very little info. Course, this is because Platinum is a "true" third version, it's essentially the same game as DP except with additional features and adjustments to the story. Thus there was no need to go into much detail about anything else except the new stuff.

I think there's another game's CoroCoro release news we need to see & compare with: Black 2 & White 2. They're the first "third version" to break the mold by being a sequel thus it may have told more new info than the usual third version got.
Actually, we have no way to know for sure what a thirds version will be. BW2 aren't the moldbreakers.

In gen 1, we had already Red and Green, and then they released Blue, with some corrections. The American release of Red/Blue was based on the Blue Version corrections, with the Pokémon Lists from RG. Then, you had a fourth version, Pikachu version.

If we do consider RB as a pair, then we have a third version that's based on the Anime, so it has the same story, but with different content and improved graphics.

In Gen 2, Crystal is not the same game. It happens in the same region, but the storyline, gameplay and locations are mostly different. Moreover, we had moving Pokémon for the first time. We also had the first Battle Tower.

In Gen 3, Emerald brought again several plot changes, animated sprites again, back animated sprites for the first time and, obviously, Battle Frontier.

Gen 4, we had Platinum, that brought things much like Emerald, but also introduced a different plot and the Distorted World.

Gen 5 had BW2, that were sequels, instead of things happening at basically the same time.

Gen 6 had no third games at all.

Gen 7 has two games, although we don't know yet what they are. So it's basically impossible to forecast what they will bring. The so-called third version doesn't have a mold per se, each one of them brought something different than the others.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually, we have no way to know for sure what a thirds version will be. BW2 aren't the moldbreakers.

In gen 1, we had already Red and Green, and then they released Blue, with some corrections. The American release of Red/Blue was based on the Blue Version corrections, with the Pokémon Lists from RG. Then, you had a fourth version, Pikachu version.

If we do consider RB as a pair, then we have a third version that's based on the Anime, so it has the same story, but with different content and improved graphics.

In Gen 2, Crystal is not the same game. It happens in the same region, but the storyline, gameplay and locations are mostly different. Moreover, we had moving Pokémon for the first time. We also had the first Battle Tower.

In Gen 3, Emerald brought again several plot changes, animated sprites again, back animated sprites for the first time and, obviously, Battle Frontier.

Gen 4, we had Platinum, that brought things much like Emerald, but also introduced a different plot and the Distorted World.

Gen 5 had BW2, that were sequels, instead of things happening at basically the same time.

Gen 6 had no third games at all.

Gen 7 has two games, although we don't know yet what they are. So it's basically impossible to forecast what they will bring. The so-called third version doesn't have a mold per se, each one of them brought something different than the others.
Okay, maybe I should say Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum are considered the "definitive version" of their generation game (and Yellow to a degree since you get all the Starters and the only "major" change to the story is that Jessie & James battle you are certain points). If someone asked what Pokemon games of those gens they should play to experience how it was like to play those games back in the day, you'd probably point them to the third versions as they have the additional features plus the combined/extended story.

Also... yes, the third version are the same story:
Gen I: Looking past Japanese Blue since it was essentially a remake of the Japanese Red & Green with better sprites and script. Going to Yellow, the only "major" changes were getting Pikachu as the starter, Blue getting Eevee, getting the other Starters in ways Ash got them in the anime, and finally Jessie & James showing up to battle (though they mostly either another Rocket grunt battle you'd have). Otherwise it follows the story of Red & Blue.
Gen II: The only major change was them adding in Eusine and the chasing side quest with Suicune. Otherwise Crystal's story is the same as Gold & Silver. This is not a discussion about the updated sprites, it's about the overall story structure that Gen had.
Gen III: Now, Emerald had more work to do as it had to have both teams be villains. Still, most of the time that meant just alternating which team you met at certain points in the story instead of the same team. They did need to add in some stuff, but that was just to give Team Magma a base & story wrap up (as Aqua got the Lilycove base and the submarine) and bring Rayquaza into the story. But the story beats are pretty much the same and it ends in a similar enough way.
Gen IV: They did change up a few things plus adding in the Distortion World, but once again you go through most of the same story beats and it comes to a pretty similar conclusion.

Gen V however did sequels giving us a completely new story. If you want the full Gen V experience you need to play both the original pair games and than the sequels, there is no definite version (BW2 may have more features, but if you only play that you're probably going to miss story points that only those who played the original games are going to get).

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

New video from the Pokemon Channel. Not sure how much new stuff it shows, but at least there is something!

After a quick viewing:

At least a few of the "Building sites" from the original game now have buildings in them, the most obvious of these is on Akala Island in the space "above" the Pokemon Center on the southern coast near the lighthouse. There is also another building constructed in the empty space in the "Johto-Esque" town on the other side, and a slot on Melemele next to the Police Station has also been filled. At 17 seconds you get to see the front of one of these buildings and it honestly looks like nothing we have ever seen.

We also have more information on Ryuki and our favourite "out of nowhere" E4 member Kahili also makes an appearance!

Last edited:

New video from the Pokemon Channel. Not sure how much new stuff it shows, but at least there is something!
The new artworks for Rowlet, Litten and Popplio are adorable.

The strange place they highlighted... I bet it's a link to Ultra Space. That, or it's Hoopa yet again.

Also, Kahili and Ryuki are having some focus outside of battles, which is nice.

Okay, so the things to be taken away from this, Ryuki stands in a vermillion esc room (the bins) and a giant hole either above or over Poni Island, apart from that we got interactable pokemon, i'm not sold on the pokemon following us yet, want more footage.

By the way, for reference's sake, the japanese version of the trailer.

Pretty much the same thing except with focus on Z-Moves in the end. I assume it's just the new rings and updated animations.
Just to make sure, can anyone confirm the Japanese text in the Z-Move animations say the same as what they did in SM?

I don't know if anyone noticed but the background image when there is a light in a pointy shape between the USun and UMoon background it also has eyes of diferent colours . I don't know what it means but it has to be something.

Oh boy that Alolan Exeguttor smoth neck movement in the video.

Edit: I got a screen capture and cropped it to what I mean If I linked it right you should be able to see the image.

Last edited:
That weird wormhole happening to be over Melemele...

I knew I should have gone and caught Necrozma.
Thats poni island...

Also, as it is poni island it is over where the ultraspace wormhole appeared in SM so could be a more permanent scar instead of something that got opened once or twice by Aether?

I don't know if anyone noticed but the background image when there is a light in a pointy shape between the USun and UMoon background it also has eyes of diferent colours . I don't know what it means but it has to be something.

Oh boy that Alolan Exeguttor smoth neck movement in the video.

I hadn't noticed that, from the way the light is done looks like Chaos from sonic, but i mean closest thing i can think of is the eyes are like Espeons

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make sure, can anyone confirm the Japanese text in the Z-Move animations say the same as what they did in SM?
In order:

スパーキングギガボルト - Gigavolt Havoc (no change)
スーパーアクアトルネード - Hydro Vortex (no change)
全力無双激烈拳(ぜんりょくむそうげきれつけん)- All-Out Pummeling (change invisible in English - the move name is now in kanji)
ラブリースターインパクト - Twinkle Tackle (no change)
レイジングジオブフリーズ - Subzero Slammer (no change)
無限暗夜への誘い(むげんあんやへのいざない)- Never-Ending Nightmare (change invisible in English - the move name is now in kanji)

It's a plausible guess that the Z-Moves whose names were in hiragana will now be changed to kanji to make the display more 'epic'-looking for Japanese-reading players. (Previously the only move to be written in kanji was Marshadow's signature Z-Move.)

They could've done the same to Z-Moves whose names are in katakana by changing them to block capital Latin letters (the way the Japanese-language Mega Evolutions in the TCG work), but they didn't.

Last edited:
In Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon, the main character will put on a Z-Power Ring, which can use even more varieties of Z-Moves than the Z-Ring! And the games also feature new Z-Moves for certain Pokémon!
It seems like all of the new Z-moves are Pokemon-exclusive.

Also is Ryuki's model really that different? They look pretty similar to me.

Had a thought, the eyes which Cainchin pointed out could be the eyes to an anti marshadow maybe? as a wild guess, or to the main antagonistic pokemon/ultra beast for a more main stream pondering

Edit: OR the final missing Type: Null, which could tie in to this games story arc and transform into some sort of light pokemon to take silvally to its proper state as pseudo-arceus

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
You also get the same image by pushing the two box arts together:

Necrozma's eyes are multicoloured so I assume this represents its new forme. If the other two "not really Ultra Beasts" get new formes why leave out Necrozma, right?

A couple of snippets from the new map:
- Is that a new beach behind the motel on Route 2? It looks like it probably is, but it could plausibly be just the lighting. A similarly ambiguous patch seems to have appeared behind the Tide Song Hotel on Akala as well.
- Does the Ula'ula Thrifty Megamart look a little less abandoned than last time?
- Seems like the islands in Kala'e Bay have merged.
- It's not raining over Po Town any more!

Can't help but notice that the pupils(?) in those eyes are in different places. On one side it's at the top and on one side it's at the bottom.

You also get the same image by pushing the two box arts together:

Necrozma's eyes are multicoloured so I assume this represents its new forme. If the other two "not really Ultra Beasts" get new formes why leave out Necrozma, right?
Completely forgot out necrozma and where it would stand in this. In Necrozma's pokedex entry for Moon it says its source of energy is light itself, could it be that also it could undergo almost a diamond like transformation from black crystalline to pure light?

Completely forgot out necrozma and where it would stand in this. In Necrozma's pokedex entry for Moon it says its source of energy is light itself, could it be that also it could undergo almost a diamond like transformation from black crystalline to pure light?
I'll make a silly hypothesis and say that Necrozma could actually be incorporeal (as in, that it is actually that light) and that what we thought was its body is some kind of armor.

Last edited:
I'll make a silly hypothesis and say that Necrozma could actually be incorporeal (as in, that it is actually that light) and that what we thought was its body is some kind of armor.
I'll add on to this theory.

So basically, the armored forms of Solgaleo and Lunala are actually their true forms. However, Necrozma, an extremely powerful being of light, was causing some sort of mayhem, most likely in the normal dimension. So, the legendaries sacrified their armor (and as such, much of their power) to seal away Necrozma, ultimately burying it in its armored form at Ten Carat Hill.

As for stats, I imagine that Necrozma-Light would be the opposite of Necrozma-Sealed. Great offenses and fantastic speed, but practically nonexistent defenses. Since, y'know, you shed your armor and you gain speed.

In before Solgaleo/Lunala and Necrozma have to be traded with eachother to exchange the armor...

I was not hyped before. I still am not hyped one bit. Generation VII has been a big failure as far as I'm concerned. With each piece of information that gets released about USUM, I feel more and more that Sun and Moon were deliberately unfinished games.

I don't know if this has been pointed out, but there's a small, apparently empty island toward the top right of the new map. It seems to have been there in the original map, but half-obscured by clouds. It could be something, or just a quirk caused by the cloud differences between the maps.

The clouds to the right of that small island seem like they could be covering another, bigger island or something, but it's hard to tell. That area seems to be fully covered by clouds on the old map.

Edit: There's also a strip of land visible above it, closer to the middle of the map. It could all just be extra stuff to flesh out the map though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)