SM OU Porygon-Z Sticky Web

Introduction

I am relatively new to OU and competitive battling in general, but I've always liked Porygon-Z so I decided to build a team around it even if it is not considered to be very good. It is definitely viable in my opinion, but it does need a bit of support to pull off a sweep.

Teambuilding Process

As the title states, this team is based around porygon-Z, so that is of course where I started. It's high special attack allows it to do good damage, but all of its other stats are mediocre at best as it gets outspeeded by most offensive threats.

Also as the title states, sticky web would be very important to this team. I chose shuckle over other sticky web users because it also sets up rocks and can run a mental herb so it can almost always at least get up one hazard. Porygon-Z' really apreciates the web support because it can outspeed even mega alakazam after using z conversion.

This team being so reliant on hazards made me realize I needed mons to prevent my hazards from being removed or benefit from it. Bisharp is there to discourage defog users because bisharp gets a +2 attack if they use defog on it. Bisharp is also pretty slow so it appreciates the sticky webs from shuckle.

Mimikyu is my other answer for hazard removal as it blocks rapid spin. It can then set up a free swords dance and do massive damage to lots of pokemon. Like Porygon-Z and Bisharp, Mimikyu enjoys the webs allowing it to become faster than gengar and blacephalon.

Like all my other pokemon, M-Pinsir takes adavantage of webs which allows him to outspeed and OHKO tapu koko which would otherwise destroy Mega Pinsir.

This final spot was initially zygarde, who also takes advantage of sticky webs. However after having trouble taking care of steel types, especially ferrothorn, I switched to magnezone who has brought the team great success. Removing ferrothorn is crucial as Porygon-Z struggles a lot with taking it down.

The Team

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Moves: Thunderbolt | Ice Beam | Conversion | Nasty Plot​

Porygon-Z absolutely destroys after using z convervsion, doing massive damage. After trying ghost conversion and electric conversion I found the electric one to be much better. Ice beam covers for any mons that are immune/resistant to thunderbolt like garchomp, zygarde and lando-T. Porygon-Z can OHKO even a specially defensive toxapex. Porygon-Z OHKOs most pokemon at +1 except for chansey, unaware clefable, ferrothorn, AV Magearna, AV magnezone, Swampert-M and Venusaur-M. However, magic guard clef and non-AV Magearna/Magnezone don't pose a threat. After one nasty plot (+3) P-Z can OHKO AV tangrowth, excadrill, spd heatran and defensive mew.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Moves: Sticky Web | Stealth Rock | Encore | Rock Tomb​

Shuckle's one role is getting up sticky webs. I always lead shuckle unless if the opponent has a magic bouncer.
Setting up webs is always a priority unless the opponent has 4+Flying/Levitate mons. Then stealth rocks comes first. Stealth rocks is very important for skarmory in order to get rid of its sturdy to Porygon-Z can OHKO it. Encore is good to use on other hazard setters or mons who try to set up. Rock tomb is helpful because it lowers the speed of the opponents lead as they won't be affected by webs. It's very helpful to get a rocktomb off on leads who are faster than porygon-z that way it can set up, live a hit and then sweep (hopefully).

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Moves: Knock Off | Iron Head | Sucker Punch | Swords Dance​

Bisharp as said in teambuilder is my answer to defog. Knock off is very helpful for removing scarfs or sashes that may hinder porygon-z's sweeping capabilities. Bisharp is good at dealing with chansey which Porygon-Z has a hard time with and can set up swords dance on chansey as well.

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Nature: Adamant
Moves: Swords Dance | Shadow Sneak | Play Rough | Shadow Claw​

Mimikyu is great because is prevents rapid spin and can easily set up at least one swords dance with its ability disguise. It also checks fighting types which bisharp get destroyed by. It can cause hawlucha to crash on a high jump kick,
then set up a swords dance and then finish it off with a shadow sneak.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Moves: Swords Dance | Return | Earthquake | Quick Attack​

Pinsir-M loves the webs support and does massive amounts of damage to the opponent's mons. It is great at cleaning up with priority quick attack and is generally used after Porygon-Z does its work. It is also a flying type so it can switch in to ground moves aimed at porygon-z after it becomes an electric type. However, it does have a 4x weakness to stealth rocks. This isn't always bad because it is another way to discourage opponents from using defog as it will get rid of their rocks too. Pinsir also can also OHKO Venusaur-M (81.3%) and can deal with Swampert-M. Both pokemon that Porygon-Z struggles against.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Modest
EVs: 136 HP / 192 SpA / 180 Spe
Moves: Volt Switch | Hidden Power [Fire] | Thunderbolt | Flash Cannon​

Like I said earlier this spot was initially zygarde, but zaygarde never seemed to help the team and I struggled against steel types. Magnezone was perfect because it removes all those mons that I had trouble with. I decided to run it AV because I want it to be able to take hits and survive throughout the match to take out steel types.It removes ferrothorn who P-Z has a lot of trouble with and can eliminate hazards removal steel types like Scizor-M and forretress. It can also be used to deal with skarmory and celesteela, but P-Z has no problem dealing with them.

Checks/Counters

Lando-T choice scarf is very strong against this team because it is not affected by sticky web and can outspeed Porygon-Z and OHKO with earthquake. It also OHKO magnezone and bisharp with earthquake. Pinsir-M can be used to absorb the earthquake and force a switch, but that may cause P-Z to lose its boosts making it not very useful. If P-Z has already set up before Lando-T comes in, it can predict the switch by OHKOing it with icebeam, but this is not very likely to happen.

Lopunny-M and other priority users are a bit annoying because sticky web won't affect their priority. However, P-Z can live these priority hits and then OHKO almost all common priority users like weavile,Lop-M, dragonite and Zygarde.

Mamoswine is a massive threat to this team as I have 3 ground weaknesses. However, it is also ice type which allows it to deal with Pinsir-M. Close combat is an option for Mega Pinsir to OHKO it, but I have only encountered Mamoswine once using this team. It is a huge counter, but it is not common to see.

Replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-668249555
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-668218594 (Here they quit early)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-668531707 (I know, volt absorb, rip)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-668534920 (Team without P-Z sweep)

Conclusion

Overall this team is very fun to use and I've had pretty good success. One thing I did notice was lots of people forfeit after porygon-z sets up and gets a couple of KOs. Takes away some of the fun, but a win is a win. This team got me from 1100 all the way to 1383 currently. Thanks for any feedback!

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Nasty Plot

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Rock Tomb

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: 136 HP / 192 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hello clemenprez
cool HO u’ve built, maybe just a bit slow for the metagame.
i’d suggest you to run scarf kartana over bisharp for speed and hazard control cuz i’m p sure all your sweepers don’t appreciate srocks, spikes or tspikes. this also revenge kills mons like, gren, koko, kazam, lele, bulu, lopunny, diancie, mega ttar ddance, zygarde ddance etc...secondly you should run
z-magnezone since celestela doesn’t die to non boosted thunderbolt and can possibly beat you 1v1 with a bit of luck. lastly run shuckle with final gambit, which is way better than rock tomb, especially in HO cuz it gives momentum and deals a lot of damage.

hope i helped, bless up

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Final Gambit

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Magnezone @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Nasty Plot

hello clemenprez
cool HO u’ve built, maybe just a bit slow for the metagame.
i’d suggest you to run scarf kartana over bisharp for speed and hazard control cuz i’m p sure all your sweepers don’t appreciate srocks, spikes or tspikes. this also revenge kills mons like, gren, koko, kazam, lele, bulu, lopunny, diancie, mega ttar ddance, zygarde ddance etc...secondly you should run
z-magnezone since celestela doesn’t die to non boosted thunderbolt and can possibly beat you 1v1 with a bit of luck. lastly run shuckle with final gambit, which is way better than rock tomb, especially in HO cuz it gives momentum and deals a lot of damage.

hope i helped, bless up

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Final Gambit

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Magnezone @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Nasty Plot
Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to try this out. Only one question, Porygon-Z is already my z move user so should I use a different item on magnezone?

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
my bad i forgot about the double z. specs is definetely an option but you can also run iapapa berry.
they both don’t lose to steela.
pro tip: try always to kill celesteela with volt switch

Magnezone @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

my bad i forgot about the double z. specs is definetely an option but you can also run iapapa berry.
they both don’t lose to steela.
pro tip: try always to kill celesteela with volt switch

Magnezone @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Thanks so much for the suggestions, I haven't lost a single game since using them. (Hopefully I don't jinx myself now)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)