Resource PU Simple Question, Simple Answers Thread

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd just like to add on that Lanturn is probably the most sturdy check available. While Qwilfish is indeed a check it suffers in that it only has one move to use usually attack with, being Waterfall or Scald - the latter doesn't work on Water Veil Float or Special Float -, so it can often result in trading. While both Ferroseed and Abomasnow do check Floatzel and Basculin they have to be cautious of moves like Superpower and Focus Blast which are able to inflict a lot of damage, especially to the latter. Both Choice Scarf Togedemaru and Choice Scarf Manectric offensively check them but are unable to switch into any moves and Swanna, bar Choice Scarf variants, also struggles to switch in; but is able to switch in better than the previous two if needed.

Reactions: poh
What does everyone think be better for grumpig?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Grumpig @ Fightinium Z/Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave/Taunt

Or.....

Grumpig @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 80 SpA / 252 SpD / 176 HP
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
Personally i like the second set better, your opinion?

Hey PyroLiam, unfortunately Grumpig is pretty much unviable in the current meta. Mesprit eclipses it almost entirely with better stats overall, while also having levitate for an additional immunity + spike immunity. Also Calm Mind Musharna is definitely better than CM Pig, due to better bulk and reliable recovery

What does everyone think be better for grumpig?
Grumpig @ Fightinium Z/Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave/Taunt

Or.....

Grumpig @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 80 SpA / 252 SpD / 176 HP
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
Personally i like the second set better, your opinion?
Grumpig's only ""niche"" would probably be a specially defensive thick fat set, and as GenZeon said above me we have much better psychic types. It's worth mentioning however that for the second grumpig set, and any other gluttony mons, you should run aguav berry (or any similar berries like figy berry) as they are basically sitrus berries that work twice as well on gluttony mons.

i know vileplume had quite the usage in NU with 10.5%, but since venusaur dropped and is better than it in pretty much every way possible, could vileplume be a potential drop in the distant future if NU doesn't get rid of venu

like i know obviously not any time soon but more long-term

A quick question for Rapidash. What groud coverage move would be better, drill run (85 base power, more crit chance) or high horsepower (95 base power). It can now learn it via egg moves in ultra sun/moon. Both moves have 95 accuracy.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
id go for high horse power, while drill runs crit chance it nice I think the safest bet would just to use hhp. Theres really no drawback to it

Reactions: BP
Hi, this is a small technical question about the PU in gen 6. Some NFE have a Smogon analysis (Tentacool, Onix, Bronzor) but they are not listed as PU (but only as LC), unlike Venipede, Natu or Hippopotas. There is even a NU analysis for Frillish (without it being considered NU too). Is it an oversight or is there a particular reason? Note that Combusken also has PU analysis in gen 7 but not counted (it has no tier).

Pikachu, on the contrary, is counted as PU but there is no Smogon analysis. One last question: It seemed to me that Trapinch also had a PU analysis in XY. But the text is gone. Arena trap was quietly banned in gen 6 during USUM?

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi, this is a small technical question about the PU in gen 6. Some NFE have a Smogon analysis (Tentacool, Onix, Bronzor) but they are not listed as PU (but only as LC), unlike Venipede, Natu or Hippopotas. There is even a NU analysis for Frillish (without it being considered NU too). Is it an oversight or is there a particular reason? Note that Combusken also has PU analysis in gen 7 but not counted (it has no tier).

Pikachu, on the contrary, is counted as PU but there is no Smogon analysis. One last question: It seemed to me that Trapinch also had a PU analysis in XY. But the text is gone. Arena trap was quietly banned in gen 6 during USUM?
If they are viable in PU, they get an analysis. If they are not viable in PU, there's no reason to give them one. Because Bronzor was relevant, important, and worth showing how to use, it got one. Pikachu was terrible so there's nothing to write about. What tier they're in has to do with usage on the ladder, but that doesn't perfectly correlate with viability, as shown by Pikachu meeting the cutoff but Bronzor not when the latter is infinitely better.
And yes, Arena Trap was retroactively banned so the Trapinch analysis was taken down because it's no longer relevant.

If they are viable in PU, they get an analysis. If they are not viable in PU, there's no reason to give them one. Because Bronzor was relevant, important, and worth showing how to use, it got one. Pikachu was terrible so there's nothing to write about. What tier they're in has to do with usage on the ladder, but that doesn't perfectly correlate with viability, as shown by Pikachu meeting the cutoff but Bronzor not when the latter is infinitely better.
And yes, Arena Trap was retroactively banned so the Trapinch analysis was taken down because it's no longer relevant.
Oh ok, I was wondering why we had " Tier: PU/LC " or simply " Tier: LC " according to viable LC in PU.

After, how to explain this late prohibition of arena trap in sub-tiers (it looks extremely recent because Showdown is not up to date)? It's a shame, I would have liked to keep the Smogon analysis of Trapinch in PU XY (the moveset, the use tips, checks and counters...). It should have been archived (and I think the same thing for the analyzes of Mega-Metagross, Pheromosa or Deoxys-S in OU, Aipom in LC, etc)

Promised this is my last question. The PU already existed in gen 5 (but as an unofficial tier).
* What was the banlist of this format? That is, the pokémons of the NU above 3,4% of uses and the BL4 (I suppose there is some)
* Can I see the viability rankings of this PU at the time of BW (if of course it exists)?

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Promised this is my last question. The PU already existed in gen 5 (but as an unofficial tier).
* What was the banlist of this format? That is, the pokémons of the NU above 3,4% of uses and the BL4 (I suppose there is some)
* Can I see the viability rankings of this PU at the time of BW (if of course it exists)?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-old-gens-discussion.3597643/page-2#post-7326932 heres the resources of BW PU. That should answer both your questions

So, Will there ever be a tier below PU soon. PU has many more pokemon than the rest of the tiers and there are a lot of unranked mons. Maybe the unranked and D ranked, and some of the C ranked mons could be in their own tier below PU?

So, Will there ever be a tier below PU soon. PU has many more pokemon than the rest of the tiers and there are a lot of unranked mons. Maybe the unranked and D ranked, and some of the C ranked mons could be in their own tier below PU?
There is an unofficial tier called ZU that works similar to official usage based tiers, meaning that anything that doesn't get 3,41% usage in PU is legal there (beside the banlist). Unfortunately, this tier is pretty inactive so this tier wil probably never get official unless a lot of people start playing it.

If you are interested in playing ZU, I'm pretty sure they have a Discord where you can discuss the metagame and challenge other ZU players.

zard edit: ZU is unofficial

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an official tier called ZU that works similar to official usage based tiers, meaning that anything that doesn't get 3,41% usage in PU is legal there (beside the banlist). Unfortunately, this tier is pretty inactive so this tier wil probably never get official unless a lot of people start playing it.

If you are interested in playing ZU, I'm pretty sure they have a Discord where you can discuss the metagame and challenge other ZU players.
Thanks for telling me, but unless smogon makes ZU official, what really can be done considering how inactive the ZU forums are.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Tier PU (the other tiers also to tell you the truth); where should I start to learn more about Metagame?

I'm looking forward to learning more about Tier PU (the other tiers also to tell you the truth); where should I start to learn more about Metagame?
Asking around for advice on the showdown PU chatroom is a good start. Check the viability rankings to learn what is good and check the sample teams and teambuilding lab for Ideas for teams.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello.

What does it mean when a pokemon is in two teirs? For example it says Ferroseed is in both PU and NU. Does that mean I can use it for both and everything in between?

http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/ferroseed/

Thank you.
Any Pokemon usable in a lower tier is usable in a higher tier. You can use Ferroseed from PU all the way up to Ubers, it just might not actually be good in those higher tiers. Ferroseed has an NU analysis because it's PU by usage but still good enough in NU to deserve getting a strategy section, as are many other PU Pokemon such as Type: Null or Zangoose. Ferro also has an RU analysis because it's viable in RU, although no analyses for any higher tiers because it isn't any good in UU/OU/Ubers.
Also, I moved this to the simple questions thread. Please just use this instead of making new threads for one basic question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)