PU Teambuilding Shop - Request teams here!

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Looking for a team around speed pass+Marowak. Marowak getting an Alola form form made me fall in love with it again but I don't really play OU as much. I really like the wallbreaking power of it, even without Swords Dance. I'm not too good with speed tiers so I don't really know what to put into speed but I'm assuming enough to beat Zeb at +2 was good enough, but can be changed to fit whatever. I used an Adamant nature to get more power, but it could be run with Jolly to get the same speed and a little more bulk since it has SD, but I wasn't sure if the bulk really mattered and figured the power would be better. I picked Combusken as the passer but if you find Ninjask supports the team more, that works too. The Combusken set is just one that I remember seeing in the thread when it dropped. I assume this core really needs a way to beat waters so something like Freeze Dry Lapras could be a potential second speed receiver or something like that. Thanks in advance for the help.
Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Punch
- Knock Off

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpD / 216 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Fire Blast

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Requesting a team built around CM Duosion that still fits the meta :)

Thanks!
Hey, Haxophobic - made a Duosion team for you. There are two versions with subtle differences, and they mostly come down to the player's preferences (the second version with CB Golem + Prinplup is stronger offensively, and Golem breaking early on will allow Jumpluff and Duosion to sweep late-game more effectively. In order to maintain the same synergy, Defog, and Stealth Rock, Prinplup is used over Lumineon for its role compression. The first version provides more utility and opportunities to gain momentum with bulky Golem + Lumineon, and basically, a better set of resistances for various threats like Floatzel, Dodrio, Stoutland, etc.). Your basic aim here is to chip away at AA Duosion's counters and beat Dark-types, while paying special attention to breaking down Grumpig via Rotom-F's Volt Switch / Jolly Monferno's U-Turn. Hope you enjoy!

Duosion Balance

In order to produce a sweep with Acid Armor Duosion, you have to do a few things first 1) Remove Dark-types 2) Keep its Eviolite in tact (so basically, one or two Pokemon who either don't have an item or don't mind it being removed 3) Remove bulky Taunt / Encore users like Politoed, Audino, Misdreavus, Grumpig, etc. 4) Pressure strong wallbreakers that check Duosion, like Dodrio, Stoutland, etc.

My first objective was removing Dark-types - adding Monferno was pretty intuitive here, given that it beats all Dark-types (Pawniard, Cacturne, Krokorok, Mightyena, Zweilous) except for Vullaby and Murkrow. It can take a Knock Off for Duosion if it really needs to and therefore preserves Duosion's Eviolite, and its access to a faster U-Turn lets it pivot on standard Grumpig. Chipping away at Grumpig both removes a switch-in to Rotom-F's Blizzard and stops Grumpig from beating Duosion late-game via Taunt and Shadow Ball. Monferno can also break down Misdreavus and Mr. Mime too, assuming you predict well and click Flare Blitz as they switch in to take a Mach Punch / Close Combat. Monferno is useful for applying pressure to Pokemon with BoltBeam coverage that would otherwise be too much for the team to handle, like Regice, Rotom-F, Zebstrika, etc.

Next, I wanted to preserve Duosion's Eviolite, because without it, it's much harder to produce a sweep late-game even with maximum Defense investment. Jumpluff was an easy pick, given it regularly carries no item and therefore takes less damage from Knock Off. Jumpluff synergizes well with the rest of the team, and can be used to cover Monferno's weaknesses to Water / Ground, Golem's weaknesses to Water / Ground / Fighting / Grass, Rotom-F's weakness to Fighting, and Lumineon's or Prinplup's weakness to Grass. Sleep Powder produces opportunities for Duosion to setup and prevents leads like WP Golem, Smeargle, Sun Onix, Rain Relicanth, etc. from setting up entry hazards against you early-game. SD is by far its most threatening set, and will always bring in Jumpluff checks and counters like Sap Sipper Zebstrika, Vital Spirit Electabuzz, Vullaby (Overcoat), Murkrow (Insomnia), Klang, Sleep Talk Muk, Pawniard, Metang, etc. The team has checks to each of these, with some combination of Duosion / Monferno / Golem / Rotom-F beating all of Jumpluff's defensive answers. For example, Duosion beats Muk, Zebstrika, and Electabuzz quite easily, Monferno beats Steel-types, Golem and Rotom-F both beat Vullaby and Murkrow, and so on.

With Duosion + Jumpluff + Monferno, I was looking pretty weak to Floatzel so far. At the same time, I needed Defog given Jumpluff and Rotom-F would take too much damage from SR otherwise, and with Jumpluff taking up a slot that I would normally use to switch into Water-types, I was led to choose Lumineon for the fourth slot. Its faster U-Turn breaks down Cacturne for Duosion, and with 8 Speed EVs, it outspeeds 252 Spe Adamant Pawniard too, meaning you can catch it with a Scald (burn) sometimes. With Dark-types being beaten with some combination of Lumineon and Monferno, and the momentum they add to the team together with Rotom-F's Volt Switch, it becomes fairly easy to set up with Duosion late-game.

Rotom-F was added for some Speed control, a secondary Floatzel check, a check to Vullaby / Murkrow, something to break down Politoed (so that it can't disable Duosion via Encore), a way to beat Bronzor and Audino (Trick) for other members of the team (Jumpluff and Golem appreciate Bronzor being crippled, while Audino being locked into a move means Duosion doesn't have to worry about Encore), a switch-in to opposing TrickScarf users (Mr. Mime) so that Duosion isn't crippled, and an Articuno counter / Rotom-F soft check. Other than that, its presence here is pretty straight forward - use its Volt Switch to bring in and weaken Grumpig, as you threaten something out with STAB Blizzard.

Finally, I needed Stealth Rock, as well as an Electric immunity. At the same time, my ability to switch into strong physical wallbreakers like Dodrio was lacking, so bulky Golem was an easy addition. I'm using Roar here to beat out other slow setup sweepers, namely CroMuk. At +2 Defense, Golem's 32 Atk Earthquake no longer 2HKOes, so if you ever let Muk reach +2 via Curse, just click Roar. Between Duosion and Roar Golem, you shouldn't have a problem with Muk ever really. Its EV spread is custom, but effective: 32 Atk lets Golem OHKO Pawniard with Earthquake, 16 Defense EVs and an Impish nature provide a jump point in Defense, 52 Speed EVs let it outspeed neutral nature 0 Spe base 50s like Metang, Audino, Prinplup, Regice, Muk, Mawile, Klang, Beartic, etc. HP is maximized with an odd number of HP for reducing certain forms of passive damage, and the remainder is allocated toward its Special Defense. 248 HP / 160 SpD makes it so you aren't 2HKOed by Zebstrika's HP Ice. Roar is also really handy on balance for beating annoying Baton Pass cores (Crit / Speed / CP pass, etc.), but you can easily use Toxic over Roar, so as to weaken Misdreavus as it switches into predicted Earthquakes.

To sum the team up, Rotom-F + Lumineon + Monferno form a momentum core with which you can bring in Duosion; there are two wincons in Duosion and Jumpluff; you produce turns of setup by putting Pokemon on a timer via Toxic (Lumineon / Prinplup / Golem), or incapacitating other Pokemon via Jumpluff's Sleep Powder or Rotom-F's Trick. Overall, there are a few threats that are troublesome to the team: Bronzor is very annoying, which prompted me to use Fire Punch CB Golem at the advice of RawMelon. Strong Ice-types are also annoying, which means you could easily use Grumpig over Duosion, but that wasn't the request (lol). That, and Monferno pressures all of these, so the team is strong enough as it is. The CB Golem version is a bit weaker to Pawniard and Cacturne, so be sure to preserve Monferno and use it sparingly until those threats are gone when using that version.

Duosion @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Psychic
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Bullet Seed / Seed Bomb

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Defog
- Scald

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 16 Def / 160 SpD / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roar / Toxic
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Duosion @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Psychic
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Bullet Seed / Seed Bomb

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Defog
- Scald

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard

Golem @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Punch

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
SergioRules

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Baton Pass

Swoobat @ Kee Berry
Ability: Simple
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Signal Beam

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Aqua Jet

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Superpower

Solrock @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Morning Sun
- Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp

Sorry for the wait, but here is your Combusken + Marowak team. Since SpeedPass means offense, I whipped this up with that in mind. Starting with the mons you requested, Swoobat was added as a secondary recipient of speed boost and a win condition. Signal Beam is here do deal with Dark-types better as Steel-types can be worn down by the rest of the team and you have a better chance of beating AA + CM Duosion if Cacturne is eliminated. Floatzel + Cacturne provides the team with soft Water checks (you can replace Floatzel with Lapras if you feel like you'd like a more definite Water switchin and a way to handle Freez-Dry at the cost of losing your fastest pokemon and making you more reliant on Speedpass + Sucker Punch Cacturne). Lastly the team need Stealth Rock support and a Normal resist. Solrock was added here as it provides a Normal resist, a Golem switchin, and a way to not get overwhelmed by Scarf Chatot Boomburst as Solrock's investment allows Solrock to comfortably take 2 Boombursts from Scarf Chatot from full HP. The investment on Swoobat is to outspeed non-scarf Rotom-F so you can Calm Mind before it can go for Thunderbolt or Blizzard, though beware of Trick variants while the added defense combined with Kee Berry can let it take physical hits better while boosting the power of Stored Power. Swoobat can also run Colbur Berry to deal with Pokemon suck as Knock Off leafeon better if you don't prefer Kee Berry. Enjoy the team!

Hello, I started competitive pokemon gaming a few months ago and I entered a group, where I'm going to be the leader of a normal type gym
The format of battles will ORAS PU, no Megas and no hazards
So, I need a team with 3 normal type and 3 other type pokemon
Could you help me out? I have no idea from where to start
Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad English, I'm from Brazil
Hey man, built a triple normal team for you. Apologize for the long wait.

Normal Spam Balance

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Sawsbuck @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Baton Pass

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Muk @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Poison Jab
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Sucker Punch

So basically this team revolves around Ursaring and Choice Band Dodrio breaking balanced teams, then falling back on the defensive core of Slowpoke + Muk + Golem.

SD Quick Feet Ursaring is a really great choice for normal spam teams due to the fact that it can boost its attack to get past or weaken normal counters such as Golem, Mawile, Tangela and Gourgeist. Choice Band Dodrio complements nicely as an additional breaker that hits quite hard with Brave Bird and Frustration. Choice Scarf Sawsbuck is there to act as a cleaner, and is the third normal type of the team. It can also gain momentum by using Baton Pass on a predicted counter switchin, such as Gourgeist; you can then pivot into your Dodrio, for example, to continue breaking.

When opposing Fighting types get too bothersome, such as Monferno or Combusken, or Water types such as Floatzel, you can fall back on Defensive Slowpoke, which can compress roles by switching in to these Pokemon as well as having the ability to recover and paralyze. Muk is a serviceable grass switchin, and serves as a nice wincon once steels or grounds have been weakened / removed. Golem serves as a normal resist, plus weakness policy golem is still a good set and has been rather underused lately so why not.

Hope you enjoy!

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Okay so I know I could totally just build this team myself but I really don't want to because I have 0 motivation. Can Someone build me a team around my Boi Seaking and that ugly ass Stunfisk. They form a perfect Fishy team.

heey ! so i noticed that i am very short on pu teams, and a notification from this thread just popped up so i was like why not . i dont really know too much pu, but i found floatzel fun to use in it when i did play an occasional game, and i saw muk is getting strong. so basically something between balance-offense with those two would be nice. i dont really know what they run, but i think i like special floatzel

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay so I know I could totally just build this team myself but I really don't want to because I have 0 motivation. Can Someone build me a team around my Boi Seaking and that ugly ass Stunfisk. They form a perfect Fishy team.
618.png
119.png
303.png
470.png
085.png
516.png

Stunfisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Static
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Baton Pass
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Seaking @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 112 HP / 200 Atk / 124 SpD / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Facade

Leafeon @ Occa Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Return

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Simipour @ Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
Lemme start off by saying what I've already said: this is just not a good core to start with, the two are awkward together, and the team is going to have issues with some random threats by nature of starting in a poor place. That being said, you were around for the team build and the one I went with was Slowbroth's so this is what we got. Specs Stunfisk is the place to start because Stunfisk and Seaking are redundant defensively and might as well try something funny. HP Ice was my favorite last move for Alt/Brava btw, I know people were also using Scald or HP Fire. Mawile pairs as the Normal resist and rocker, you can creep for Probopass if you want to but I don't want to include lots of creep in a shop team. SD Leafeon just works well with strong (theoretically) Ground-types and the team really needs a Golem resist. However, it's not Synthesis because the team could really use another way to hit Muk, Alt, and Monf with Return. Occa is also so Monferno loses 1v1 to most of the team because it's hard to fit another Monferno resist after the first two mons but it could really be useful. The last two are strong Electric-weak Pokemon because that's kinda what the core supports, Scarf Dodrio and Sub NP Simipour are fairly self explanatory and set up as the team's main wincons. I hope you find this team mildly enjoyable or something.

Flame Orb doesn't ignore Guts anymore, so could you use it instead of Toxic Orb?

Hey man, built a triple normal team for you. Apologize for the long wait.

Normal Spam Balance

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Sawsbuck @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Baton Pass

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Muk @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Poison Jab
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Sucker Punch

So basically this team revolves around Ursaring and Choice Band Dodrio breaking balanced teams, then falling back on the defensive core of Slowpoke + Muk + Golem.

SD Quick Feet Ursaring is a really great choice for normal spam teams due to the fact that it can boost its attack to get past or weaken normal counters such as Golem, Mawile, Tangela and Gourgeist. Choice Band Dodrio complements nicely as an additional breaker that hits quite hard with Brave Bird and Frustration. Choice Scarf Sawsbuck is there to act as a cleaner, and is the third normal type of the team. It can also gain momentum by using Baton Pass on a predicted counter switchin, such as Gourgeist; you can then pivot into your Dodrio, for example, to continue breaking.

When opposing Fighting types get too bothersome, such as Monferno or Combusken, or Water types such as Floatzel, you can fall back on Defensive Slowpoke, which can compress roles by switching in to these Pokemon as well as having the ability to recover and paralyze. Muk is a serviceable grass switchin, and serves as a nice wincon once steels or grounds have been weakened / removed. Golem serves as a normal resist, plus weakness policy golem is still a good set and has been rather underused lately so why not.

Hope you enjoy!

Of course you have Slowpoke lmao

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
heey ! so i noticed that i am very short on pu teams, and a notification from this thread just popped up so i was like why not . i dont really know too much pu, but i found floatzel fun to use in it when i did play an occasional game, and i saw muk is getting strong. so basically something between balance-offense with those two would be nice. i dont really know what they run, but i think i like special floatzel
Hey, Silverwhiteblue - I built you a balance team with Muk + (specially offensive) Floatzel. The main premise behind the team is CroMuk setting up on and beating Grass-types and Water immune Pokemon so that Floatzel will be in a position to clean late-game with Scarf Hydro Pump. Muk's success hinges on Steel-types being removed prior to setup however, so I used Choice Specs Mr. Mime here for luring and breaking those. For example, Specs Dazzling Gleam OHKOes a Pawniard looking to absorb Psychic; Specs Shadow Ball beats Bronzor and Metang switch-ins; Specs Focus Blast murders Klang, Mawile, and Probopass, and so on. Switcheroo Floatzel can also break these down to a certain extent for Muk.

While this may not be as creative as my other teams, its being standard certainly doesn't detract from how effective it can be. This team is pretty forgiving, so if you happen to make any mistakes (or if Focus Blast misses), you can easily come back from that. You'll see what I mean if you watch this replay where I played pretty terribly at different points, even misclicking Curse when I wanted to Rest on a Rotom-F, but I still managed to come back from the brink.

I also had a nice game with this vs RivalET earlier (it's not really common to see Vibrava's slightly slower U-Turn (30 Spe IV) come into play, but it does here).

Muk @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 240 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Poison Jab

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Scald

Vibrava @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Earthquake

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Baton Pass
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Floatzel @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Veil
Modest Nature
- Switcheroo
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Mr. Mime @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock

Starting with your request, I worked out how Floatzel and Muk would work together - by itself, Muk addresses most of the Electric- and Grass-types that check Floatzel, with very few exceptions. For example, Rotom-F, Zebstrika, Cacturne, Yache Leafeon all check standard Floatzel, but all fail to beat Muk 1 on 1 in most cases. To add to this, Muk can use most defensive answers to Floatzel as setup fodder (ex. Tangela, Quilladin, Lumineon, etc.), and by removing bulky Grass-types and Water immune Pokemon, Floatzel is able to clean much more effectively late-game. In return, Floatzel checks a large portion of the Ground-, Rock-, and Steel-types that Muk either can't touch at all or needs a few Curse boosts to work its way around. For example, popular checks or counters that are used to address CroMuk like Golem, Gabite, Krokorok, Probopass, etc. are all OHKOed by Floatzel, so the two complement each other well. Muk's EV spread is superior to the standard 252 / 4 / 252 set I see commonly used. Firstly, 12 Spe EVs let it click Rest on uninvested base 50s, while 248 HP and 8 Def let Muk live through one CB Frustration from Stoutland after SR (and the remainder is allocated toward Muk's Special Defense):

252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Muk: 306-361 (74 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
(without 8 EVs in Def): 252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Muk: 307-363 (74.1 - 87.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

From there, I immediately sprang for a Golem counter, as that's currently one of Muk's most common checks in the meta (especially CB variants). Physically defensive Vibrava survives everything from Golem except for CB Explosion or Ganlon / Yache Natural Gift, while simultaneously preventing your Mawile, Floatzel, and Mr. Mime from being worn down too badly by entry hazards. A slow U-Turn brings Mr. Mime and Floatzel in for free, which is important in allowing Mr. Mime to wallbreak, as well as to let Floatzel scout out which Pokemon the opponent will use to counter it, so that you know which coverage move to lock into on the subsequent turns you bring in Floatzel. Vibrava can switch into Eviolite Monferno (but not SD LO variants) for the team, as well as Rapidash (especially Drill Run Rapidash), Metang, Stunfisk, RP Relicanth, Crustle, and Camerupt (but if you predict Camerupt to lock into HP Ice, switch to Chinchou instead). It also checks Muk lacking Ice Punch (with CB Gunk Shot only dealing 38% maximum), as well as Arbok before either of these Poison-types have setup with Curse or Coil, respectively. Dropping its Speed IV by one point is something really simple but effective that you can do to gain momentum against other Vibrava users, as shown in the second replay above.

Even though Muk handles Electric-types well, it can't prevent them from gaining momentum and pivoting into a Muk check. That, and while Vibrava is immune to Volt Switch, it cannot switch into Electric-types given most of them normally use Ice coverage anyway. So, needing a hardier Volt stop of some kind to wall threats like Zebstrika, Raichu, Electabuzz, Rotom-S, Rotom-F, as well as other threats that would otherwise hamper the team's effectiveness, like Swanna, Pelipper, Regice, and specially offensive LO Floatzel, I added standard Chinchou. It forms a triple momentum core with Vibrava and Mawile, and slowpivoting is again useful in bringing in Mr. Mime to wallbreak and creating setup opportunities for Muk (as well as free turns of Black Sludge / Leftovers recovery for Muk / Mawile, respectively), especially given that most of Chinchou's natural switch-ins are Grass-types. In most cases, Chinchou can simply click Volt Switch on a predicted Leafeon or Cacturne switch-in for example, and immediatly pivot to Mawile or Muk for a free Knock Off, Stealth Rock, or Curse. Chinchou is protected perfectly from Rotom-F's TrickScarf by its teammates, namely, by Muk's Sticky Hold and by Choice Scarf Floatzel, so it shouldn't ever be losing its Eviolite (unless you come across something like Knock Off Raichu).

Next, the team needed SR, a Normal resist for threats like Stoutland and Dodrio, and Knock Off to weaken threats like Metang and Bronzor for Mr. Mime, so defensive Mawile was an easy pick. It can check Cacturne in a pinch, if necessary, and it'll act as your main answer to Leafeon before you have to resort to Muk for beating that (+2 Double-Edge can potentially break Muk, so Mawile should be your first line of defense against SD Leafeon). Optionally, Mawile can use full Defense and forgo the added Speed here, while trading Leftovers for Shed Shell, so opposing teams that rely on Probopass trapping for Normal-types will never be able to break past Mawile.

While Mawile is formidable as a Normal resist, it doesn't cover specially offensive Normal-types like Chatot at all. So, Soundproof Mr. Mime was added to compensate for this. Psychic-types like Mr. Mime are useful for luring or checking Steel-types outright (other examples of this include Knock Off / Shadow Ball Kadabra and Specs Grumpig), and so Muk's need for Steel-types to be removed prior to setup is satisfied by Specs Mr. Mime - as I said above, it beats every Steel-type, except for +2 Pawniard and Klang with multiple Shift Gear boosts. Additionally, Specs Psyshock really throws annoying specially defensive walls and tanks for a loop, like Regice, specially defensive Clefairy, Chinchou, Audino, and more importantly, it is powerful enough to OHKO CroMuk without prior chip damage. Focus Blast is also very important in beating SpDef BU Ursaring and SpDef SD Bouffalant, so Healing Wish and Trick aren't necessary here. With the aforementioned Pokemon being mauled by Specs Mime, specially offensive Floatzel can easily clean up without having to worry about hitting multiple Focus Blasts late-game.

Finally, with deciding to use a more offensive variant of Mr. Mime to support Muk more effectively, Floatzel became my Choice Scarf user here by default. Floatzel's 4th move slot was dictated by what the rest of the team needed. It didn't really require HP Electric for Swanna or Pelipper, as Chinchou already addresses those competently; Baton Pass was already used by Mawile, and so the most viable last slot for this team was Switcheroo. Switcheroo is incredibly useful in improving your matchup against both stall by preventing walls like Audino from recovering, as well as slower setup sweepers like Duosion and CM Clefairy. Scarf Floatzel is also nice for its ability to outspeed and either OHKO or 2HKO every viable Choice Scarf user in the tier, just save for the Simis, Rapidash, and the rare Scarf Raichu / Electabuzz:

252+ SpA Floatzel Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Frost: 204-240 (84.6 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Floatzel Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mr. Mime: 127-150 (57.4 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ninjask: 278-328 (105.7 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chatot: 316-372 (107.8 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Leafeon: 228-270 (84.1 - 99.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Floatzel Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sawsbuck: 288-340 (95.6 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dodrio: 244-288 (93.4 - 110.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

To conclude, this team is quite bulky and has a switch-in for the majority of the meta. In fact, it plays very similarly to stall, in that you'll be playing each Pokemon very conservatively up until it's time for Mr. Mime to break, Muk to sweep, or Floatzel to clean. This team's success also relies on Mr. Mime breaking successfully, as well as Vibrava and Chinchou keeping their Eviolites in tact, so try not to play with those too recklessly and scout for Knock Off first with Muk and Mawile before sending those two in. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)