Project PU Theorymon

In addition to Mega Pidgeot's perfectly accurate Hurricane it was the 3rd fastest Pokemon in UU (4th if you count the BL2 Noivern), and has special attack on par with titans like Alakazam, Darkrai and Volcarona. It also got a boosting move in Work Up. That said though, yeah No Guard would probably push Swanna over the top of broken-ness now I think more about it.

Sandslash would be great in PU, as like you said it resists the Rocks it spins away. It would also be a better Sand Rush sweeper than Stoutland in my opinion, as it gets Swords Dance. That said, it would still be stopped cold by Tangela. Cradily honestly I think would be pretty mediocre - many Water types get Ice Beam / Ice Punch (and in Floatzel's case Focus Blast), and it's set up fodder for bulky boosters like CM Duosion due to its lack of Taunt, phasing and Encore. As a defensive Stealth Rock setter, I think Probopass would still be better as it gets Volt Switch to safely bring in a teammate.

What if Drifblim got Hurricane?

It could learn it via breeding with Castform. Calm Mind Drifblim would be far more dangerous, as it would have a much stronger STAB. The only Pokémon in PU to resist Shadow Ball and Hurricane is (I think) Pawniard. Calcs:

+1 252+ SpA Drifblim Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 183-216 (44.6 - 52.6%) -- 82% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Okay I have one.

What if Walrein got Aqua Jet and/or Ice Shard?

You might be thinking, "A 40 Base Power priority move coming off a base 80 Attack? How is that going to work?" Well, Walrein has this nifty addition that these moves can use: Belly Drum. With that, Walrein can outspeed and OHKO threats such as Zebstrika, Defensive Roselia, Defensive Probopass, take a 252+ Sucker punch from Cacturne and OHKO, and in general deal with anything not named Scarf Rotom-Frost. You can even go with Aqua Tail for a +6 hit on slower stuff. Think of this Walrein idea as a "Poor man's Azumarill."

Edit: Forgot about Earthquake, so um, have fun with +6 Earthquake.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
In addition to Mega Pidgeot's perfectly accurate Hurricane it was the 3rd fastest Pokemon in UU (4th if you count the BL2 Noivern), and has special attack on par with titans like Alakazam, Darkrai and Volcarona. It also got a boosting move in Work Up. That said though, yeah No Guard would probably push Swanna over the top of broken-ness now I think more about it.

Sandslash would be great in PU, as like you said it resists the Rocks it spins away. It would also be a better Sand Rush sweeper than Stoutland in my opinion, as it gets Swords Dance. That said, it would still be stopped cold by Tangela. Cradily honestly I think would be pretty mediocre - many Water types get Ice Beam / Ice Punch (and in Floatzel's case Focus Blast), and it's set up fodder for bulky boosters like CM Duosion due to its lack of Taunt, phasing and Encore. As a defensive Stealth Rock setter, I think Probopass would still be better as it gets Volt Switch to safely bring in a teammate.

What if Drifblim got Hurricane?

It could learn it via breeding with Castform. Calm Mind Drifblim would be far more dangerous, as it would have a much stronger STAB. The only Pokémon in PU to resist Shadow Ball and Hurricane is (I think) Pawniard. Calcs:

+1 252+ SpA Drifblim Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 183-216 (44.6 - 52.6%) -- 82% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Seems really neat can't add on much to it since it isn't dynamic than it is just a slight buff.
Okay I have one.

What if Walrein got Aqua Jet and/or Ice Shard?

You might be thinking, "A 40 Base Power priority move coming off a base 80 Attack? How is that going to work?" Well, Walrein has this nifty addition that these moves can use: Belly Drum. With that, Walrein can outspeed and OHKO threats such as Zebstrika, Defensive Roselia, Defensive Probopass, take a 252+ Sucker punch from Cacturne and OHKO, and in general deal with anything not named Scarf Rotom-Frost. You can even go with Aqua Tail for a +6 hit on slower stuff. Think of this Walrein idea as a "Poor man's Azumarill."

Edit: Forgot about Earthquake, so um, have fun with +6 Earthquake.
Seems like something that could shake the meta potentially as I could see a rise in Yache Berry Grass-types. Actually this thing looks really hard to handle O-o. You would just have to pressure it into not setting up Belly Drum sort of like how RU had to handle SLurpuff while it was in the tier.

What if Meowstic got Copycat?
It could share a similar niche to Liepard in NU as a Calm Mind sweeper with priority Psychic which would be extremely powerful. I wonder how it would impact the meta as I would expect a rise in Dark- and Steel-types + Grumpig if this thing ever became a huge threat but at least it gives it a pretty cool and unique niche. I could see this being used in tandem with Stoutland + Monferno who weakens the majority of Meowstic's problems. Or you could run Probopass / Trapinch to help alleviate some of those problems.

What if Lumineon got Water Absorb?
Now this would also be a buff like what ChrystalFalchion suggested for Drifblim except this is obviously a more defensive buff. Basically Lumineon can actually gain more than the Leftovers recovery for properly coming in on a Water move. Although I don't like suggesting minor changes this one actually changes up the battle a little bit since it puts more pressure on your opponent to not use the Water move in fear of healing the counter instead of weakening so although this is minor it will still effects battle to significant amount.

Here's a stupid one: what if Slaking had Slow Start? As a hidden ability.
It would still suck balls.

So I've actually got something to talk about

What if Munchlax got Slack Off?

It makes sense flavour wise, and it could even have it as an egg move from Slowbro. Access to reliable recovery would make its Curse set much more deadly - it would now have room for either Fire Punch or Earthquake to round out its coverage. It could also run a bulky attacker set with 3 attacks + Slack Off. That said, it wouldn't be as bad as Vigoroth as it's much slower and Curse of course lowers its Speed even further.

Last edited:
Better revive this.
What if Beautifly got Simple. Simple turns quiver dances into Geomancies (beautifly is unranked so I'm trying to make it better). Think of this as the xerneas of PUW
Beautifly @ Focus Sash
-Bug Buzz
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Quiver Dance (thanks Marogod for fixing this)
Makes sense flavor wise (it's a very simple design). I wonder if this would get Beautifly ranked (+2 +2 +2 is no slouch), but woul dnot severely impact the metagame.
What if Phione got tail glow
I presume it got the move if the parent Manaphy has tail glow. This would make it a poor man's manaphy.
Phione @ Leftovers
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
Water resists would become more common due to +3 TG. Switchins are where? (even quag was not a counter due to grass knot).

Last edited:
Better revive this.
What if Beautifly got Simple. Simple turns quiver dances into Geomancies (beautifly is unranked so I'm trying to make it better). Think of this as the xerneas of PUW
Beautifly @ Focus Sash
-Bug Buzz
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Hyper Beam (this thing has a horrible movepool)
Makes sense flavor wise (it's a very simple design). I wonder if this would get Beautifly ranked (+2 +2 +2 is no slouch), but woul dnot severely impact the metagame.
What if Phione got tail glow
I presume it got the move if the parent Manaphy has tail glow. This would make it a poor man's manaphy.
Phione @ Leftovers
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
Water resists would become more common due to +3 TG. Switchins are where? (even quag was not a counter due to grass knot).
You posted a simple beautifly without quiver dance on the set and had hyper beam over it

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
What if Drifblim got Agility?
Even after the release of it's unique hidden ability Flare Boost, players found it optimal to instead run Unburden over it because of the ability to double your speed. However, if Drifblim could learn Agility, it could finally make use of Flare Boost in combination of it's base 90 Special Attack to score some KO's otherwise deemed impossible. Here is what the set might look like...

Drifblim @ Flame Orb
Ability: Flare Boost
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunderbolt/Psychic/Signal Beam

Does Agility Drifblim fit the flavor of the Pokemon?

The description of the move Agility in XYORASSM says:

"The user relaxes and lightens its body to move faster. This sharply raises the Speed stat."

One interpretation of this description may read as if it sets itself on fire (lights) in the way hot-air-balloons do to go faster and reach new heights.

Also, Drifblim does learn several Psychic Status moves such as Hypnosis, Magic Coat, Amnesia, and Calm Mind, making Agility not too far off from being an actual possible move in Drifblim's movepool.

Does Agility on Drifblim make it broken?

Using Agility on the Unburden set it already was found typically running doesn't seem to improve it any more than it did when it didn't have Agility. There isn't an extreme difference between having a 2x boost or a 4x boost; however, it outspeeds Scarf Floatzel and Raichu only at x4.

On a Flare Boost set it finally can pick up some notable KO's. Check these out...

252+ SpA Flare Boost Drifblim Hidden Power Fighting vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Probopass: 236-280 (77.6 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Flare Boost Drifblim Thunderbolt vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Lapras: 262-310 (60.7 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Flare Boost Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 254-302 (97.3 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Flare Boost Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Dusclops: 180-212 (63.3 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Other Options

Drifblim could definitely run Calm Mind to boost it's Special Attack even further. Baton Pass could pass the Agility boost to another Pokemon. Will-o-Wisp can get residual damage on the opponent and make it easier to set up with half damage taken from physical attacks.

Overall

Overall, Agility Drifblim would change the way Pu views Ghost-Types, especially when the fastest Ghost-Type previously only hits base 99. Making use of it's great and now usable ability Flare Boost, Drifblim can find itself as one of PU's premier Ghost-Type special attackers!

Reactions: gz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)