Quickbans?

Hey guys, so people have been really crying out against Skymin, Deoxys-A, and Darkrai both on the forums and on IRC. The idea of possibly just doing a quickban for them was brought up, and I'd like to hear your opinions on it. On one hand, I'm just about 100% positive that these three suspects won't make it out of the first round of testing anyways so I am open to doing this, but on the other hand, I'd hate to alienate those that actually want to test these guys for the full length of time. This sort of a quickban was done for Deoxys-S in the 4th generation, so there is definitely precedent for doing so. What do you guys think, though?

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would definitely vote Shaymin-S and Deoxys-A Uber by this point, personally, but it's definitely too early to ban Darkrai. Perhaps it'll be nominated and banned, but Darkrai definitely shouldn't be quickbanned.

I agree with reachzero on all three Pokemon. As for quick banning of Shaymin-S and Deoxys-A, I'm fairly indifferent as I can see valid arguments on both sides.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm just about 100% positive that these three suspects won't make it out of the first round of testing anyways so I am open to doing this, but on the other hand, I'd hate to alienate those that actually want to test these guys for the full length of time.
If you really are 100% certain, then ban them. We don't want to get back into the rut of running a full process for everything "in the interest of fairness" or for some other obscure reason. We shouldn't be wasting time running a test when the result is obvious.

As for the suspects themselves, Shaymin is incredibly ridiculous and should be gone; Darkrai isn't that bad but it will probably be banned because it is annoying as shit; I haven't run into Deoa enough to comment but hey maybe that means something in itself?

BTW Phil I'm not sure whether you wanted us (supermods) posting in here. If you do not I understand!

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I don't care whether anything is quickbanned, but I also agree with reachzero's sentiments. Deoxys-A is incredibly difficult to play around, between a Psycho Boost that kills anything that doesn't resist it and isn't named Blissey and a broad movepool that handles everything else. It also makes good use of its Fighting resistance, surviving Mach Punch from Roobushin and Breloom. Shaymin-S is much the same if it doesn't have a Choice item; I've found the Choice versions easier to handle. I've been on both sides of these situations. Darkrai, I haven't found to be as overpowering; I would suggest that if we do decide to quickban, that Darkrai is exempt.

Gouki

nice times all the times
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Past SPL Champion
I was typing up something big for this but the issue's just not worth it lol. Basically, don't send mixed messages later, by requiring month after month of tests and re-tests to settle anything through the community. I was a bit put off when the old regime did this with Deoxys, even though the decision itself was fine with me.

Anyway, if you're sure of the outcome then go for it. We can easily bring them back if there does end up being a large outcry over this. Personally I think all three are broken, but would prefer Darkrai getting a full test. Too many viable Pokemon can at the very least revenge it after it's put something to sleep.

Ugh, this is tough. You guys keep saying to test Darkrai more, but everybody in #dw and #is say it's a no-brainer to add Darkrai to the quickban list.

What do you guys think about opening some sort of an early vote for these three suspects?

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No quickbans even it is "obvious." The reason the first stage is so short (just two weeks) is specifically for the "obvious" bans.

If all those are so "obvious," they'll be banned in a setup we've specifically manipulated to be more efficient for "obvious" bans.

Thanks for all your input both here and on IRC guys. I've decided not to go ahead with the quickban, considering how short this testing period is already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)