ORAS OU RMT Bulky Offense Mixed

Shouls Lapras use Surf or Hydro Pump? Should Tyranitar use Stone Edge or Rock Slide?

• Surf And Rock Slide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hydro Pump and Rock Slide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bulky Offense is rather new to me, but after having my Hyper Offense teams wrecked by walls, i decided to change things around a bit.

Tyranitar - Role - Hazard Setter

Ability: Sand Stream

Item: Chople Berry

Nature - Relaxed (Speed down, Attack Up)
EVS - 212 HP, 180 Special Defense, 80 Defense, 36 Attack

Moves -
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Payback
Earthquake

The main pokemon of the team, and the one on the field the most. Not an imaginative set, but it works well. Stealth Rock cripples fire or flying pokemon that trouble Mega Venasaur, while payback breaks the psychic types (except gardevoir) that threaten Mega Venasaur with psychic.

Stone Edge was my initial choice for STAB,but it misses at the worst times, so i tried running Rock Slide. Still in limbo about which one to choose, both having their merits.

Venusaur (Mega) - Role - Tyranitar Defender/Fairy Counter

Ability: Thick Fat

Item - Venasaurite

Nature - Timid

EVs - 248 HP, 96 Defense, 144 Special Defense, 20 Speed

Moves:

Giga Drain
Sludge Bomb
Synthesis
Leech Seed

Type wise, the perfect partner to Tyranitar. If Tyranitar cannot handle it, 80% of the time, Venusaur can, and plus two of his weaknesses are removed by mega evolving. Venusaur doesn't usually KO things, he tends to stall so Stealth Rock inflicts maximum damage. After playing, I realized that Steels were a problem. Venasaur didn't have room for earthquake, and Tyranitar is too slow to land earthquake. Cue entry three:

Garchomp - Role - Late Game Sweeper

Ability: Rough Skin (HA)

Item:Earth Plate

Nature: Jolly

EVs - 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Moves -

Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Iron Head
Stone Edge

The 'mix' part of the team. Garchomp is the fastest, and hardest hitting member of my team. Usually, i send her out near the end of the game, to mop up the team after it has been worn down by stealth rock and toxic. Obviously her natural bulk helps greatly, but moonblast and ice beam both destroy her easily. Iron Head is mainly for the switch, or half way through a sweep. Unfortunately, She needs a good water type counter companion (as most water types use ice beam).
However, I also use her to defeat steels, excluding Ferrothorn and Skarmory. These two steels needed a special counter - fire.

Heatran - Special Wall/Steel Counter

Item - Assault Vest

Ability - Flash Fire

Nature - Modest

EVS - 252 HP, 252 Special Attack, 4 Special Defense

Moves -
Flamethrower
Earth Power
Flash Cannon
Solar Beam

Heatran is my special wall, and also my counter to pokemon like Skarmory and Ferrothorn. She can also beat any grounded steel using flamethrower and earth power (and also any other heatran).
Solar Beam is more of a filler move, although it punishes switch ins with water types heavily, if predicted. However, it is usually safer to use another pokemon. Looking at my party, i realised water types with ice moves destroyed me rather easily, and mega venusaur was my only counter.

Lapras (Lucy) - Water Counter/Ice STAB Abuse/Bulky Late Game Sweeper

Item - Never Melt Ice

Ability - Water Absorb

Nature - Modest

EVs - 252 HP, 252 Special Attack, 4 Special Defense

Moves -
Freeze Dry
Surf
Thunderbolt
Psychic

I'm sure quite a few people are crying inside at this choice. Yes, Lapras isn't as bulky as I'd like. Yes it usually only lands a handful of moves. Yes, the Ice Typing is a pain.

Let me say two words - Freeze Dry.

The only reason i use Lapras, is Freeze Dry, and (ironically) her water/ice typing. Her typing lets her tank ice attacks, and her ability neutralises Surf/Hydro Pumps directed at Heatran, and help restore her.

Leftovers is probably a better fit, but the more damage freeze dry outputs, the deadlier she gets, and that one move is her primary usage. Psychic punishes fighting switch ins trying to hit her ice typing, and then it is accuracy battle. Hydro Pump hits harder and nets more KOs, but like Stone Edge, misses at horrible moments, and with no recovery, that's risky for her.

Milotic - Toxic Wall/Special Move Deterrent

Item - Leftovers

Ability - Marvel Scale

Nature - Bold

EVs - 252 HP, 160 Defense, 96 Special Attack

Moves -

Ice Beam
Toxic
Recover
Mirror Coat

At first glance, a bulky water doesn't fit on the team. But, combined with stealth rock and toxic, Milotic can provide just enough stall to push the enemy over the edge.
The 'anti-taunt' moveslot was torn between ice beam and scald. However, Scald interfered with Toxic strategies, although the burns can be useful on physical sweepers.
Recover combined with leftovers ensures Milotic stays on the field, and the recovers mitigates any potential sandstorm damage.
Mirror Coat is a surprise move that is hellish to get onto Milotic, but plays havoc with enemies utilising thunderbolt, or sets that only have special attacks. Combine that with Recover, Milotic is a very effective stall pokemon for this team. The only immediate problem is that Recover runs out of PP very easily.

Last edited:
Hi Kardora,

I'm new to the Bulky Offensive team, too. Here's my opinion about your team.

First, some of your team's weaknesses:
1) At the first glance, it's clear that your team is vulnerable to Mega Medicham and Mega Gallade. High Jump Kick/Close Combat/Drain Punch, Psycho Cut/Zen Headbutt, and Ice Punch that they can learn easily destroy 5 of your Pokemon.
2) Your team is vulnerable to Rotom-W. Yes, Mega Venusaur can handle it, but that's all. Without Mega Venusaur, your team is as good as dead.
3) For a Bulky Offensive team, you lack proper status moves. Burn Garchomp and Tyranitar, and you won't be able to do anything against Chansey/Blissey, which will slowly faint the rest of your team using Toxic-Seismic Toss combo. Other than Mega Venusaur and Milotic, you only spam damaging moves that are good (typing wise).
4) Freeze-Dry is an awesome move. I have to admit it. But it's the Pokemon (which are able to learn it) that make Freeze-Dry not a good choice. Using a weak (competitively) Pokemon just for Freeze-Dry is a waste of space.
5) Your EV spreads and Item choice are still bad. Mega Venusaur isn't meant to be fast, since its counter (the two Lati) will always be faster than it, no matter how high the Speed EV.
6) You lack proper resistances to Dragon Dance "berserker" like Dragonite. It can turn Heatran into a setup bait and spam Dragon Dance until you switch Pokemon. Then, it just spams Outrage/Earthquake and destroys all of your Pokemon before Lapras and Milotic are even able to land a single Freeze-Dry and Ice Beam. Not to mention its ability, Multiscale, that helps it survive against 1 Freeze-Dry/Ice Beam.

I'm not good at suggesting specific Pokemon, so I will only give you some recommendations:
1) Get rid of Lapras and replace it with something better like a Fairy Pokemon, a support Pokemon, etc.
2) Learn about EV Spread, Nature for each specific Pokemon, and about synergy between Pokemon.
3) Look for strategies for each Pokemon at Smogon website, but don't use the exact same set or you'll be predictable.

Don't be discouraged. I was just like you 2 months ago. I look forward to battling your improved team later on. Have a nice day!

I shoulda stuck with HO and focused on trying to beat the walls....

1)I have no clue how to counter them - I've never ever fought them.
2)Well I've never had a problem with Rotom. It's wrecked by brute force.
3)Yeah... it IS a mixed team though. Trying to mix Bulky and Hyper. Should NEVER have done that XD
4)Maybe Azumarill? Fairy type and Ice Punch.
5) the speed on mega venu is to outrun those in the speed tier... but you have a point

If i could get my mitts on a Defog Skarmory i could run Stealth Rock, Toxic AND get rid of hazards and make all my teams 100% more balanced and better. But I don't have PokeBank and trying to find one online... I haven't been successful.
Would make any BO or Stall teams very epic too. I used it on PS (breaking my usual rules of not using mons I can't obtain in-game) - I loved it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)