RU Analyses Discussion Thread

tehy

Banned deucer.
hey

with the gligar ban, is crustle>omastar, or at least worth an analysis?

discuss

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hey

with the gligar ban, is crustle>omastar, or at least worth an analysis?

discuss
Although it's too early to tell whether Crustle's better than Omastar or not, i'd definitely say that Crustle is worth an analysis. Gligar leaving and the rerelease of Custap Berry have both given Crustle a new lease on life imo.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Also

With gligar gone, hitmonchan really needs to go (or if 'every mon needs an analysis'/puke, at least ice punch -> thunder punch)

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd say yes as a SD water type, but I'm not sure about the special / mixed set since it still faces a lot of competition from clawitzer. There was an argument in its favor that it has taunt over clawitzer but that may be too small of a niche.

yeah, i'm doing samurott. i called dibs ,this a is a legitimate reason for things. sd is good, and mixed lo is solid for the reason that it's speed puts it over modest exploud (and, by extension, most defensive 'mons creeping to outpace that) whilst retaining a +SpA nature, which out-damages timid clawitzer (which it would need to run to achieve that desired speed benchmark) minutely. torrent also has some weight on the set, as it significantly devalues the approach of "life orb stall", which can occasionally be an approach taken by defensive builds less prepared for the threat at hand.

=)

I'd like to bring up Victreebel getting an analysis. A LO set with Solar Beam / Sludge Bomb / Weather Ball / [Sleep Powder / Growth] as the main set. Victreebel on Sun teams are very good and it's a good Pokemon in general. Very unprepared for, very underrated, etc. Should it get an analysis?

having faced victreebel, it's a pretty dangerous sun sweeper and has a great stab + weather ball combo. I feel that sleep powder is much better because plant is frail and every turn under sun is crucial. not QC though, so you can take this with a grain of salt.

I'm wondering if the following set would be appropriate for Dewgong:

Dewgong @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Frost Breath
- Stockpile
- Encore
- Toxic

Which brings me to the other subject I wanted to mention, I think Dewgong deserves a page, outclasses only by Walrein last I checked... Walrein may have better bulk etc. But Dewgong does have that extra 5 base speed which makes Dewgong a better Encore user.

P.S. The EV spread I provided enables Dewgong to withstand 5-6 turns of Badly Poisoned with 1 HP and four switches on Stealth Rock with 1 HP.

Considering Walrein isn't even viable in RU, I highly, highly doubt Dewgong would be. And that's not even considering the fact that the set you've suggested is running a poor boosting move with no recovery outside of Leftovers. If you want a defensive Water-type, Alomomola, Slowking, Qwilfish, Jellicent, Seimitoad, Gastrodon, and hell, even Lanturn are much better options.

I understand. I still think it's worth putting my spread on the X/Y Dewgong dex page. It's about as good as you will get with Dewgong... That doesn't mean it isn't fun to use and laugh at the 1-10 damage taken from predicted Ice-type attacks. :P

At the very least, Dewgong has a niche for handling Ice-type Pokemon that threaten your team and/or just annoying other Water-type Pokemon. ;)

P.S. Mega-Sceptile might be an alright tag partner or team mate. Considering Mega-Sceptile has a new found 4 x weakness to Ice and Dewgong has a 4 x resistance to Ice, then Thick Fat further increases those resistances. Dewgong also can bait Electric-type attacks for Mega-Sceptile to switch into safely with a SpA boost.

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
Hey there

like i vm'd you that set looks really bad ; i disagree that it's the best you will get with Dewgong, but it doesn't matter;you shouldn't be using dewgong in RU at all, so we're not going to put up an analysis.

Mega Sceptile's also UU currently, by the way

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, I've been going through the on-site RU analyses the past few days removing mentions of old Pokemon and adding in Flygon or Scrafty when appropriate. I've done A-G so far (as well as Sigilyph and Virizion since I was looking for teammates for them) but any badgeholder is able to help with this. So, here's an easy step-by-step guide as to how to do this if you're not familiar with it.

Step 1: Go into the Strategy Dex and find a Pokemon that's RU by usage (Accelgor is the first one listed) and click "RU". This takes you to a full list of the Pokemon in RU by usage. Note that Pokemon viable in RU, but not RU by usage won't be listed here (think Fletchinder, Gourgeist, Kabutops, etc.)
Step 2: Click on a Pokemon you want to view (just like you would when you're looking for a set to use with it) and skim through its analysis. If everything is fine and no illegal Pokemon are mentioned, just go back and click on the next Pokemon on the list.
Step 3: Note that this is only if you need to remove outdated mentions (such as Doublade, Slowking, etc.) click on the "Edit Strategy" button just above the Overview section. This allows you to remove and add Pokemon to specific sections (usually Team Options, but sometimes as targets of specific moves) Simply delete the Pokemon that is no longer RU and, if possible, replace it with one that is relevant (such as Jellicent for Slowking)
Step 4: Once you're done, click on "Review Changes". It will be in the top right corner of the box you've been editing in. On the next screen, give a brief description of what you edited in and click "Submit". Then a Site Staff member (probably myself or Molk) will look at it to verify the changes and approve it to go on-site!

Note: Be sure to maintain proper grammar. For example, if 3 Pokemon are listed as checks but one of them is outdated, you'll need to remove commas as well as "and" to maintain proper grammar if you're not adding a Pokemon to replace the one you're removing. If you do a small edit for one of the on-site analyses, make sure to tag Molk or myself in this thread or VM us to let us know that there's something for us to look at. This kind of speeds up the process of it going out on-site as we're able to look at it quicker. If you're still unclear on what exactly to do to help with this project, you can view Oglemi's guide for a more thorough explanation. (you must be a badgeholder to view this link)

Finally, if you feel that an analysis isn't well written or is very outdated while you're editing it, let one of the QC members know and we will look at it. However, go ahead and edit it so it is at least as up-to-date as possible. And yes, I'm well aware of the backlog of analyses that are completed but not on-site yet. We'll get to those as soon as we can, but remember that stuff that's currently on-site also needs to be as accurate as possible. Thanks for taking the time to read this wall of text.

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
i did Registeel and Omastar

Edit: Did Weezing, Archeops, Mesprit, Mega Audino and Sawk too

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i did Registeel and Omastar
Did you mean Weezing? I saw (and merged) it, but I didn't see Omastar yet. Solid stuff btw.

Also, because I forgot to mention it, don't worry about any Pokemon that has a finished revamp that isn't on-site atm. And I went ahead and did H-J since easy af (helps when one is terribad, one is super accurate, two have a finished revamp and one was actually annoying)

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think Mesprit needs to have a revamp. It is very outdated, with Ice Beam still being in the moveslot and C&C has mentions of AV Kabutops which is not very viable anymore.

EDIT: Did Aurorus, Vivillon, Cradily, Lanturn, Combusken, and Ditto

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
I think Mesprit needs to have a revamp. It is very outdated, with Ice Beam still being in the moveslot and C&C has mentions of AV Kabutops which is not very viable anymore.

EDIT: Did Aurorus, Vivillon, Cradily, Lanturn, Combusken, and Ditto
Merged these. I'll look at Mesprit in more detail later, but it probably needs a Scarf set at worst.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Ice Beam isn't really bad on Mesprit considering defensive Flygon is a thing and easily avoids the 2HKO from a LO Psychic (being able to oneshot more offensive Flygon is very useful also), although other moves could be slashed and a quick CMS update to remove stuff like AV Kabutops should suffice. I don't think Scarf should get a set though when it revenge kills almost nothing and is just used for utility, but that's just me.

Not really sure if this is the place for this, but why doesn't Scrafty have an analysis? It's in the S Rank in the RU Viability Thread and yet there isn't an onsite RU analysis, and as far as I can tell, no one is working on an analysis for it. Scrafty isn't even on the Unreserved list. I know this sounds stupid but did you guys forget about Scrafty?

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
Not really sure if this is the place for this, but why doesn't Scrafty have an analysis? It's in the S Rank in the RU Viability Thread and yet there isn't an onsite RU analysis, and as far as I can tell, no one is working on an analysis for it. Scrafty isn't even on the Unreserved list. I know this sounds stupid but did you guys forget about Scrafty?
It's been reserved by 49. The OP of the reservation thread admittedly needs an update badly though...

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have a couple of changes that i'd like to hear QC's opinion on whether or not it needs a change.

Mega Glalie- Ice Shard should get its own slash in the mixed set as its basically mandatory to revenge kill Virizion and Flygon. Maybe Explosion could be slashed over Earthquake? Not too sure on where EQ should go to but Ice Shard definitely deserves a slash on its own.

Meloetta- Psyshock, I feel should get a slash over Psychic in the Choice Scarf set as Psychic is not as important anymore with the departure of Cobalion. It is able to revenge kill Venomoth (tho it speedties at +1 and Psychic has a chance to OHKO), Hitmonlee, and Virizion which I feel is pretty necessary. Psychic does still have some merits but Psyshock deserves a slash too.

Virizion- Stone Edge should get a slash over Zen Headbutt considering how prominent Sigilyph and Togetic are and being able to have a chance to OHKO Venomoth unlike Zen Headbutt. The recent decline in usage of Poison-types also makes Stone Edge all the more of a better option to use over Zen Headbutt. Qwilfish is already taking a decent amount from Leaf Blade too which is why Stone Edge needs a slash.

Emboar- I think that Sleep Talk should get something slashed over it. Earthquake, Will-O-Wisp, or even Toxic should be decent. I know that the recent arrival of Venomoth may make Sleep Talk slightly more reliable but I'm not such a fan of it because it is simply too unreliable. Im very iffy on this one atm so we'll see about that first.

If this is approved, I'll just update them through CMS

Last edited:
Could ZHB just be removed on virizion? I barely find it useful at all and not being to hit sigilyph just seems really stupid to me.

On Emboar, an Earthquake slash seems nice to bop stuff like fox, or a really heavy AC (or w/e u put semi-important moves lol) mention would be nice.

Also, what's with the Durant slashes and why is X-scissor the only slash on the HC set >_>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)