RU Analyses Discussion Thread

Just some stuff I've noticed.

Accelgor: The Spikes Lead set mentions Cobalion in Team Options as a fast Stealth Rock setter, this should be replaced by either Archeops or Uxie, or both. Also I'm not entirely set on Hidden Power Ground getting the second moveslot.

Alomomola: This is a really minor nitpick and I'm not even sure if it should be bothered with, but the OO section for Alomomola uses the phrase "can be used" six times -.- imo a few of them should be changed to phrases like "is an option" or "lets it."

Ambipom: Checks and Counters lists Meloetta-P as a "faster Pokemon" that can KO Ambipom; Meloetta-P should definitely be removed, as it relies on Ambipom switching in on Meloetta-P while it is still in Piroutte form, and Meloetta cannot outspeed Ambipom otherwise.

Again these are just a couple minor nitpicks that I've noticed while skimming through the analyses, might edit more in later.

Last edited:
Okay it's time to suggest a Pokemon that's in desperate need of a revamp and isn't on the reservation list :)

Braviary really needs an update right away, as the information is really outdated and needs to be fleshed out more; the SubBU set is even EV'd to outrun Cresselia, it's that outdated. Honestly, I'm not sure how I didn't catch that sooner :o. Mentions of Cress, Cobalion, and Doublade need to go, and in general it needs more current meta-relevant info (Kabutops and Aurorus are mentioned as Superpower targets) and the writeup is also pretty bad haha. Since I did the previous analysis for Braviary, I have a good amount of experience with Braviary and can spot my mistakes more easily than maybe another writer could, so if this revamp gets the A-OK then I would be happy to do it :D

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just some stuff I've noticed.

Accelgor: The Spikes Lead set mentions Cobalion in Team Options as a fast Stealth Rock setter, this should be replaced by either Archeops or Uxie, or both. Also I'm not entirely set on Hidden Power Ground getting the second moveslot.

Alomomola: This is a really minor nitpick and I'm not even sure if it should be bothered with, but the OO section for Alomomola uses the phrase "can be used" six times -.- imo a few of them should be changed to phrases like "is an option" or "lets it."

Ambipom: Checks and Counters lists Meloetta-P as a "faster Pokemon" that can KO Ambipom; Meloetta-P should definitely be removed, as it relies on Ambipom switching in on Meloetta-P while it is still in Piroutte form, and Meloetta cannot outspeed Ambipom otherwise.

Again these are just a couple minor nitpicks that I've noticed while skimming through the analyses, might edit more in later.
Did these except for the mola one, too lazy.

Also go ahead and do a revamp of Braviary mate. post about it on the reservation thread though.

Anyone know the progress on Tangrowth and Skuntank? I think the former could be easily taken care of just by messaging Hootie but the second one...

mod edit: You could just check the analysis page if you really want to know the progress. I don't see why you need to make a post asking someone when you can just look it up yourself with a few clicks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Mentions of Venomoth need to be removed from Granbull, Mega Steelix, Tangrowth, Seismitoad, Scrafty, Quagsire, and Delphox analyses.

I feel like Poliwrath should either add the Special Offense set or get a full revamp.

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
I was going through some analyses and I noticed a few things that could use an update.

Archeops - Makes mention of Cobalion. Could also use a mention of Flygon in Hazard Removal. Otherwise it looks good.

Magneton - Super out of date. The introduction even mentions it has a niche in XY RU. I feel like this should probably be added to the high priority list, since it rose back to RU.

Mismagius - This is also quite out of date. I feel like the utility it has on webs should get it a rewrite.

I've been talking Vileplume up for awhile now and I'd like for it to get an analysis. Aromatherapy and / or Moonblast make for a really cool niche. I've heard Life Orb can be effective too, but I have no experience with it.

Last edited:
I have to agree with revamping Magneton, the Overview basically lists its stats and movepool and doesn't tell the reader anything about what it threatens or is threatened by, or its niche in the current metagame. I mean, Gligar is still listed as an HP Ice target…

As for the rest, I don't really have enough experience with them to say. At a glance, though, Mismagius's information does seem a bit outdated and could use a revamp. I agree with giving Vileplume an analysis; the extra power, Moonblast, and Aromatherapy are probably enough to give Vileplume a small niche over Amoonguss. However, the analysis would need to stress the utilization of Vileplume's perks, as otherwise, Amoonguss's greater bulk, more accurate Spore, and especially Regenerator would overshadow Vileplume.

Hey so I was just checking over my Chatot analysis and I just noticed that special walls aren't in C&C, I think there should definitely be a mention of them so could one of you fine badgers edit this into the analysis through SMCS?

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Aromatisse, Jellicent, and Togetic wall Chatot by virtue of their great special bulk and can either cripple Chatot with a status move or damage it with their respective STAB attacks.

I think the grammar and everything is correct but it could obviously be tweaked if needed :)

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I was wondering if it would be possible to add an articuno set to RU, I know I am not known or anything but I thought it was worth mentioning this.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost

Basically this set serves as a special wall that holds a lot of pressure against recovery based walls. The jist of this allows it maximize it's special defense while being able to outspeed max speed base 70's. It's goal is to set-up a sub and wear down the in two ways. Breaking down walls or pokemon that don't deal enough damage to beat roost + leftovers recovery or to stall out low PP moves like sucker punch on the switch or Fire Blast from camerupt as well as wish/recover pp plus it can beat out a lot of the current walls. Freeze Dry is used over Ice Beam since Articuno isn't meant to be offensive and it can help with things like Qwilfish, Seismitoad, and Stupid Fish. Sub can prevent from getting statused and is usually better than Protect because if needed it can be used consistently, for example if your team is weak to M Camerupt's Fire Blast you could simply get rid of all that PP in 4 turns which is sometimes a good trade off. Also it has an obvious 4x weakness to rock and is prone to fire it ca serve a great wall.

Here are some calcs that have been useful when using this
252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 153-181 (39.9 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Flygon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 169-200 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 163-193 (42.5 - 50.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Clawitzer Scald vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 121-142 (31.5 - 37%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 320-376 (83.5 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 58-69 (15.1 - 18%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Alomomola Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 67-81 (17.4 - 21.1%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 69-82 (18 - 21.4%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Uxie Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 67-81 (17.4 - 21.1%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Qwilfish Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 84-99 (21.9 - 25.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery (Only occasionally breaks Articuno's Substitute)
0 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 55-66 (14.3 - 17.2%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

I was not the creator of the set all credit goes the HypnoEmpire and I have merely found this to be really usefull.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Articuno needs an analysis altogether which I'm perfectly okay with. I'll add it to the reservation index in a minute and if someone wants to pick it up, feel free.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Will President Snow and Slowking be added to the reservation dex?
Also I'll go through later today and see if there are any mentions of Medicham in the analysis being written at the moment then maybe tonight or tomorrow the ones in the smog dex/

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Does Medicham really need a new analysis? The one Scythe made's fairly up to date, though it'll need to account for the other recent drops.

Also I'd mentioned this before, but Magneton's analysis is extremely out of date. It still lists Gligar and Moltres, so I think it could really use an overhaul.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Added Magneton to the index. I'd prefer to see Medicham revamped, honestly. There's a couple move slashes on both sets that I'm not a fan of. In addition, it can use some mentions of Slowking and general updates based on how much the meta has changed since then. For the most part, both sets are the same, but I would like to see a more polished up-to-date version go on site.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Mismagius looks kind of outdated and would probably just need a new analysis all together unless you were to just scrap the online one and forget about it. It also needs more Colbur Berry since you know Dazzling Gleam lure.

Proof of being outdated:
If Mismagius is being used as a spinblocker, be careful of switching into Hitmonlee or Sandslash in particular, as it might use Knock Off instead.
Emboar and Cobalion are capable of repeatedly switching in on most of these Pokemon and forcing them out, which can wear them out in conjunction with hazards.
Cobalion and Virizion actually appreciate absorbing Knock Off because it activates Justified; both also enjoy being teammates with a check to opposing bulky Ghost- and Psychic-types.
A Substitute + Calm Mind set is able to set up on Aromatisse as well as Registeel and Gligar, allowing Mismagius to function as a decent stallbreaker.
Powerful Pursuit trappers who can avoid the 2HKO from Mismagius's attacks, such as Skuntank, Spiritomb, and Drapion, are able to put Mismagius in a checkmate position, although they may be crippled by Will-O-Wisp or KOed by Destiny Bond in the process.
Although they will be hard-pressed to switch in, powerful Shadow Sneak users such as Doublade and Mega Banette (Don't remember the last time I have used Shadow Sneak MNette) can revenge kill a weakened Mismagius, provided it isn't behind a Substitute.

Spirit edit: Mismagius won't be getting a new analysis so I just deleted the current one

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There are a number of lower tier threats that are viable in RU despite not being RU but don't have analyses as of now. Specifically, I'm talking about Xatu, Skuntank, Hariyama, Rotom-F, Garbodor, Vileplume, Musharna, and Articuno just to name a few. These Pokemon do have niches in RU and could definitely use analyses for the tier since they are viable threats in RU. Of course since they're not common, they aren't top priority by any stretch of imagination, but I'm just suggesting that they could perhaps be added as low priority reservations since they're viable and it won't hurt to have analyses for them. I guess Exeggutor and Klinklang could get analyses too but they're kind of shaky in terms of viability so whatever I guess.

I also want to bring up the possibility of deleting Sandslash's analysis. Of course, I don't really have any power over this, but I do want to hear QC's perspective on this. I'm probably biased since I'm an old RU player and most people who know me from back then know that I hate this Pokemon more than anyone, but I honestly do think Sandslash is almost unviable in this metagame. It's too slow, rarely gets a chance to spin, is incredibly easy to pressure and force out, and is overall unable to take most special attacks in the tier, let alone endure assaults from most of our strongest physical attackers. It sucks for the same reasons that it sucked in 5th Gen RU, and as a Ground-type hazard remover I would much prefer Flygon, who is faster, has recovery, can remove hazards more reliably for the playstyle that Sandslash is supposed to function on, and can at least provide momentum with U-turn. There are much better spinners who are far more reliable than Sandslash, such as Blastoise, who actually has a good matchup against Mega Glalie, beats every Rocks user, can check Fire-types, can spread burns with Scald, and could also phaze if you want that too. Even Hitmonlee and Kabutops are better spinners than this thing, because at least they have offensive presence that makes them fairly threatening. I know I'm rambling too much but basically Sandslash is a piece of garbage that is outclassed by everything decent and is also shit in general, I don't think it deserves an analysis (Even Claydol is more useful than this). There are some other irrelevant stuff that could have their analyses deleted as well, but Sandslash stood out to me among this small crowd.

Just a few thoughts regarding analyses here.

spirit edit: sandslash analysis deleted

some of the stuff you mentioned that needed an analysis is either in progress or in the reservation index, i'll be sure to add most of the rest.

also I might as well mention that along with Sandslash, other Pokemon, such as Swellow, Zangoose, and Zwelious have RU analyses but aren't ranked on the viability ranking thread. Not sure if they're actually good or not but since they're not ranked I'd assume they don't need analyses(?) (I know Sandslash definitely doesn't, is shit lol, but the other ones may have niches, i don't really know.)

Spirit edit: yeah, i had no way to search up ru analyses for non ru pokemon aside from clicking every ru legal pokemon's page, which as you can imagine, is kind of a chore. thanks for pointing these out, this was the kind of stuff i've been meaning to search for and delete.

edit: yeah the only reason I knew was because of conquest! haha. if I find any more I'll mention them to ya : ]

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So, after reading the thread carefully, some stuff Ill like to point out:

- Hariyama, Rotom-Frost, Mawile and perhaps Klinklang could use an analysis since they have notable niches in this metagame right now. Klinklang is a bit shakier but it definitely have some viability. Will post the examples sets as follows:
[SET]
name: Offensive Tank
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Fake Out
move 3: Heavy Slam
move 4: Close Combat
item: Assault Vest
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 120 Def / 136 SpD

The 136 SpD EVs let it survive specs meloetta psychic from full 100% of the time.
[SET]
name: Substitute Attacker
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Blizzard
move 4: Pain Split / Will-O-Wisp
item: Life Orb
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Trick
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Blizzard
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Substitute attacker should be the primary set imo
[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Iron Head / Play Rough
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

A mention of fire fang could work tbh, not sure on the play rough slash but feel it is pretty important to be dark types like absol much more reliably
[SET]
name: Shift Gear (Gear Up)
move 1: Shift Gear
move 2: Gear Grind
move 3: Return / Wild Charge
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers
ability: Clear Body
nature: Adamant
evs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe

Speed EVs let you outspeed scarf durant at +2

Would provide more in depth explanations if necessary. Feel this sets should be bases for potential analyses imo.

- Mismagius should perhaps get an analysis as well due to its niche on webs teams but not too experienced on that regard

- A change of order with the sets on the Omastar analysis is perhaps necessary since I feel shell smash is much more effective than the lead one.

Thats all for now.

May i make a thread on Trevenant? There used to be a thread on Trevenant, but it was removed.

Anyhow, the thread that DID exist didn't do trevenant justice. Trevenant has a very interesting niche, having one of the best defensive typing against rapid spinners, namely excadrill. It may have competition with Gourgeist, but trevenant has the ability instantly heal itself passively over gourgeist. Its ability "harvest" makes it never need to waste a turn healing, horn leech is a semi-powerful attacking move with the ability to heal, and leech seed cripples defensive teams while healing. Overall, while both play defensive roles, Trevenant has much more offensive options, and I think it deserves to have a set highlighting its usages and strengths.

Vote me pls!

May i make a thread on Trevenant? There used to be a thread on Trevenant, but it was removed.

Anyhow, the thread that DID exist didn't do trevenant justice. Trevenant has a very interesting niche, having one of the best defensive typing against rapid spinners, namely excadrill. It may have competition with Gourgeist, but trevenant has the ability instantly heal itself passively over gourgeist. Its ability "harvest" makes it never need to waste a turn healing, horn leech is a semi-powerful attacking move with the ability to heal, and leech seed cripples defensive teams while healing. Overall, while both play defensive roles, Trevenant has much more offensive options, and I think it deserves to have a set highlighting its usages and strengths.

Vote me pls!
These are RU analyses. Excadrill is not legal in RU.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Since Scyther has been unranked it only seems fitting to take down its analysis, also Mr. Mime, Lilligant, and Cacturne still have analysis as well.

Spirit edit: mime is fine, thanks for pointing out the other err three though

Hey, I have a set for Trevenant, it's a Physical Sweeper TR. It works really well, I like it a lot. However, I don't know how to determine good partners, usage, and similar things, though I have an idea. If anyone would be willing to help me out with this, it would be most appreciated.

someone get on a Slowking analysis :o still doesn't have an RU analysis
I can do that one, I've used Slowking quite a bit. Also, here's a set I've had good results with:

Gallade @ Assault Vest
Ability: Justified
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge / Leaf Blade / Shadow Sneak

Last edited:
I can do that one, I've used Slowking quite a bit.
If so, then post it in the index (your article work's rad, so it shouldn't be any trouble for ya regarding reservations).

On another note, any reason why the Choice Band set has been removed from the Scrafty analysis? It's been pretty effective this current meta IMO, serving as an offensive pivot and nice Tyrantrum check for more offensive builds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)