Project RU Theorymon

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Banned deucer.
With this change, Articuno obviously doesn't need hazard support, but ironically provides it instead, although it doesn't match up too well against certain SR users. Its Speed tier just barely edges out over Venusaur and other base 80s, which is pretty cool. I can see it running a nice offensive set with Hurricane / Freeze Dry / Roost / Defog | U-turn @ Life Orb maybe. Offensive switch-in to Venusaur/Water-types + soft check to Special Attackers that rips Mega Steelix defensive teams into shreds AND provides Defog support on the side is amazing. It might actually be overbearing for defensive teams since with Roost + the bulk it possesses, I'm not sure how any of them would be able to kill it, while Life Orb Hurricanes and Freeze Drys aren't too easy to continually stomach unless you have a Registeel/Bronzong, which aren't too difficult to maneuver around. Interesting concept for sure. It would be a great addition to the tier if it didn't appear to be so overbearing to defensive builds.

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Articuno + Magic Guard: Just immunity to Stealth Rocks turns it into a useful thing, it won't gey rekt by Stealth Rocks, can run Life Orb, Freeze-Dry hits Water-types, Hurricane is a really powerful STAB, it can even run something like U-Turn or a Hidden Power to become more powerful, have Roost and can Defog out the Rocks.
Accelgor + Sticky Web: With Sticky Web + Spikes it will become a good setter, with Final Gambit Max HP (364 is not bad at all) to break through bulky pokémon, it have Spikes, Encore, Sticky Web, Bug Buzz. And have the best speed tier (but Ninjask) in all the RU, being a interessting fast opption.

Magic Guard + Articuno would be so ridiculous. Think about how much Magic Guard did for Sigilyph who, aside from a pretty nice movepool, is pretty unimpressive without Magic Guard. Now imagine Magic Guard on a Pokemon with 4x SR weakness, really good bulk, great offensive typing, and good Special Attack / Speed. Registeel and Bronzong wall Articuno but those are about the only things that will be able to stomach an Articuno assault; in addition, you would also be very pressured to switch into Registeel, so Articuno could U-turn out to a Dugtrio and swiftly dispatch Registeel. In addition, with Magic Guard, not only can it be an offensive threat, but it also checks quite a bit of special attackers. With Magic Guard, Articuno can avoid annoying things like Sludge Bomb poison from Venusaur, Scald burn/Toxic from Alomomola and Seismitoad. Defensive Articuno would also be really nice as SR is the biggest thing limiting it.

It'd be really fun to mess around with Magic Guard Articuno but no way that would stay around for long.

Articuno + Magic Guard: OMG YES! It's not even for the rock weakness (only) but when I play with articuno (even though I use it in PU not really in RU) I'm always afraid of being worn down by toxic and not be able to sub roost pressure stall, magic guard just seems to solve all of articuno's problems, even with the loss of pressure. I imagine a more offensive LO set with U-turn would be really good.
Accelgor + Sticky Web: I mean this one is pretty straight forward just another move to abuse as a sash lead, although it would be interesting to see exactly what it would run... My guess:

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Final Gambit
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz / Encore / Focus Blast

pretty straight forward... and of course, vulnerable to flygon :p

Natan

Uxie + Recover seems impressive lol, being more one wall with reliable recovery.
But about Samurott + Water Veil what? Water Veil can give it burn immunity, however Torrent + Aqua Jet seems best lol

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Samurott + Water Veil sounds pretty underwhelming to be honest. The main reason why samurott is a functional swords dance user is because torrent aqua jet is fantastic form of priority since it is so strong and can be crucial on late-game scenarios. Water veil doesnt do much for it cause while it avoids burns thanks to water veil, many other bulky waters still carry other form of status inducing moves like toxic and thunder wave that are just as crippling for a set up sweeper of any type. Dont like this one at all.

Uxie + Recover Know this is something cool. Amazing bulk, reliably recovery, great utility moves AND U-turn would make this a fantastic choice for almost every team. Kind on strapped in moveslots sadly since it wants stuff like thunder wave, knock off and yawn, and not sure if sacrificing u-turn is the best idea, but this is pretty cool. Pray for 5 moves next gen guys :V

Free set to be honest:

Uxie @ Colbur Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Psyshock

Bulky fighting type checks with reliable recovery are an oddity so this would be amazing and send musharna back to the "outclassed" ally except if you want healing wish. With recovery it can even run colbur berry which is dope.

twinkay

these bugs love all the sugar in my blood
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Recover + Stealth Rock Cofagrigus - Pretty neat. It now has reliable recovery that can be used instead of Pain Split. Stealth Rock allows it to have more Hazard Stacking potential because of SR + TSpikes + Natural spinblocking capabilities which could change Hazard Stack completely.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp / Stealth Rock
- Shadow Ball
- Recover / Pain Split / Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock / Haze

I love that you wrote this just after I posted my research analysis on it lol

Slack Off Piloswine - Piloswine now has reliable recovery, which is cool, but not something it desperately needed. It is now a much better Eviolite wall, but it doesn't impact the meta too much.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake / Slack Off
- Icicle Crash / Slack Off / Toxic

Natan

Recover + SR Cofagrigus is just what the Ghost need to turn viable, seems great (and lol, this is in a slate in OU Theorymon without SR, lol). Cofagrigus will be really awesome with this.
Piloswine + Slack Off More one reliable recovery, ok, only seems good cuz Slack Off could turn it into a Bulky SR Setter with Reliable Recovery, RU needs more like this.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I think the funny thing with Coffin is that Mummy + Recover let's it destroy some things really hard. Refrigerate doesn't work meaning Mega Glalie's main STAB is gone. Tyrantrum can't click head smash over and over. Medicham loses Huge Power. And there are more examples I could point out. I also like kitten gamings point when he/she said that cofag was is a hazard setter + spin blocker. I also suspect Nasty Plot and Calm Mind can become viable sets similar to Slowking.

Natan

Drapion + Tough Claws
is awesome, see : SD Drapion checks are weak to Aqua Tail, after a SD Steelix cant switch in, and if it got banned in the suspect, the most part of Steel types will be 2HKO by Knock Off. Ground types are destroyed by Aqua Tail (but Flygon, able to OHKO it with Earthquake or Earth Power and faster, and Tough Claws allows it to be the most powerful Pursuit in the tier, even defensive sets could do a good damage..
Hoopa + Baton Pass can Pass a Nasty boost, but I think it isn't even the best thing. It with Scarf can Baton Pass to avoid any Sucker Punch, any Pursuit and scout more easily, a Scarf set with STABs, Focus Blast / Trick and Baton Pass probably will turn it into unchecked by Spiritomb and Houndoom, unless it's already choiced, but is a good option to turn Hoopa more viable than now.

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hoopa + Baton Pass is looking kinda lit. It provides hoopa with so much momentum. It makes it a lot harder to just trap as you get to baton pass out on a potential trapper switch in (switch in to an attack, not to rk). It also allows hoopa to pass nasty plots about to other teammates which is nice too allowing a bit more offence and in theory overshadowing togetic. A potential problem with baton pass however is hoopa may be experiencing a case of 4mss but other than that it seems p cool.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Honestly, not being trapped by Spiritomb (unless it runs the otherwise subpar Shadow Sneak) is a big difference from Meloetta as a wallbreaker that I think Hoopa is really missing right now. The ability to occasionally pass a sub out on a Meloetta who tries to use you as a setup oppurtunity is also very cool - Medicham has already shown the pwoer of Baton Pass + Pursuit Trapper, for example. Overall, I think this would take Hoopa up a notch from where it currently is without breaking it. Cool suggestion and good idea.

tough claws drapion would be crazy lol. It's already a pretty good mon, now more than ever, and this would give it the equivalent of base 133 attack with pursuit and a very spammable knock off. shuca sd would be THE threat.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
With Baton Pass it forces quite a bit of changes. First of all Pursuit Absolute needs to always run Jolly to pursuit LO variants and this isn't accounting for Scarf which has another dodge tool. Heck going for Pursuit can even be scary if there is a Virizion sitting in the back. It can also scare something out that the opponent wants to keep around and choose a counter Mon to whatever the opponent sends out. Shadow Sneak Spiritomb could get better if SubPass becomes a common set (inflitrator).)

UPDATE
Also I got Snaq to update the list of theorymons onto the server so now you guys can test out some newer additions (including this slate) It would be nice if you guys could get some replays showcasing the new Theorymons. I won't be on constantly but HypnoEmpire has been looking for someone to battle to help increase the activity in this thread so ask him for a battle and some others who regularly visit and contribute to this thread.

Man, Lava Volcano seems really good, finally becoming vialble as an electric immunity and breaking opposing fire's with stab ep, nascar m-camerupt basically, not much to be said...

Electric immune alomomola looks disgusting though, get that thing outta here

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Wish Lanturn looks really cool because now it will have a way to recover HP except for the passive recovery of Leftovers, and with a slow Volt Switch it will be able to pass a good amount of HP without any risk. This unluckily will give Lanturn a 4MSS because you will need Wish / Protect / Volt Switch / Scald most of the time so you won't be able to use other moves like Heal Bell without dropping something of important.
The secondary STAB will help Typh a lot. Specs Earth Power is a 2HKO on most bulky water with some hazards up and now Typh can hit rock-types without having to rely on Focus Blast. Eruption / Fire Blast / Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice looks the best moveset.

Natan

Typhlosion with Earth Power is viable now, its like a faster, less bulky (and slightly weaker) Camerupt-Mega, and can run a item aside a mega stone, seems awesome.
Lanturn with Wish is like a no Regenerator Alomomola immune to Electric moves and weak to moves Ground. Its like awesome but it won't be switch in so much like Alomomola, then will be probaby a decent option

twinkay

these bugs love all the sugar in my blood
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Typhlosion + Ground-type + Earth Power
So Typhlosion is kinda better now, Earth Power is a cool option to hit Rock-types and it works in conjunction with Flash Fire to beat out Fire-types. I wouldn't describe it as a faster M-Rupt just because they both have their pros and cons, Typhlosion can actually run an item and is fast, while M-Rupt hits harder and has bulk. So Specs could become a thing, but Eruption is still kind of shaky. Now it dies to water but I guess that's okay, what was it living anyway

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Grass / Ice
- Eruption

Wallbreaker set since this thing is decently fast, not sure if Eruption should be kept or not but it got kind of buffed since Typh is neutral to Rocks

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Camerupt: 372-440 (108.4 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Qwilfish: 626-740 (187.4 - 221.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 336-396 (74 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lanturn + Wish
Its wishes are not as big as Alomomola's, but they are still pretty big and Lanturn can use slow Volt Switch instead of hard switching which is something Mola doesn't have. It also has Heal Bell and an Electric immunity, which is nice for a cleric.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Wish
- Heal Bell / Protect
- Scald / Toxic

Nice special tank, pivot, wish passer, and cleric all in one. It has the benefit of taking advantage of choiced Electrics like Jolteon and making the opponent think twice before using an Electric move in the first place

4 SpA Lanturn Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Typhlosion: 316-376 (106.3 - 126.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)