Metagame Shared Power [Under Re-Construction!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Core Enforcer also has the benefit of not being negated by MBounce. Though Zygarde is required to be slower than the opponent in order to make use of it. Stall Sableye could be a potential teammate for that reason, but that ability's sort of a bad choice in most other situations. Though it's worth noting that Stall only causes the user to move last in it's priority bracket, meaning Prankster/Gale Wings/Extreme Speed still function as needed.

Yeah, but Zygarde doesn't have any recovery of it's own and relies on stuff like Poison Heal in order to fit on a stall team (the playstyle not the ability) as well as it would maybe like to, removing it's ability to hold an item hinders that potential pretty significantly. Meanwhile, if Zygarde wants to use Core Enforcer to counter stall, it needs to be extremely slow, to the point where 0 EV/IV Spreads still don't outslow stuff like Toxapex even with (lol) beneficial speed natures and some EV investment.

I'm not saying it's a good strat I'm just saying it's an option lol.

Core Enforcer itself is a good move though, just more situational without those precautions.

Yeah, but Zygarde doesn't have any recovery of it's own and relies on stuff like Poison Heal in order to fit on a stall team (the playstyle not the ability) as well as it would maybe like to, removing it's ability to hold an item hinders that potential pretty significantly. Meanwhile, if Zygarde wants to use Core Enforcer to counter stall, it needs to be extremely slow, to the point where 0 EV/IV Spreads still don't outslow stuff like Toxapex even with (lol) beneficial speed natures and some EV investment.

I'm not saying it's a good strat I'm just saying it's an option lol.

Core Enforcer itself is a good move though, just more situational without those precautions.
Just use regenerator.

Okay but being forced to switch to recover HP isn't exactly ideal. The most successful Regenerator user in OU is Toxapex and even that usually packs Black Sludge + Recover.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Ok so just one thing I wanna point out about the OP:

"Another example is the presence of weather teams, which offer all teammates doubled speed in Sand/Rain/Sun/Hail thanks to their respective abilities."

This is outdated and is now an untrue statement. So I believe it should be changed.

NP: Shared Power Stage 1
U-Rite

Hey everyone! Pardon the inactivity in the past week. In order to make up for it, I have decided to conduct the first suspect test for the tier after it has developed to a semi-stable state. In this suspect test, 2 Pokemon will be looked at in this suspect test, and those are the following:

Even after the Simple ban, Mega Gyarados has proven itself to be an insane metagame threat. Mold Breaker allows Gyarados to ignore defensive counterplay in the form of Multiscale and Unaware while also ignoring immunities such as Water Absorb and Levitate. Furthermore, Mega Gyarados being a Dark type means that Prankster does not affect it and counterplay in the form of Prankster Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp is nonexistent. Mega Gyarados provides Moxie and Intimidate before Mega Evolving, further strengthening its impact on the metagame. While Mold Breaker cannot be shared, it’s evident that Mega Gyarados still poses an incredible threat to an offensively biased metagame. It’s ability to receive abilities such as Adaptability, Tough Claws, Beast Boost, and Magic Bounce makes it threatening on its own, and the fact that it cannot share its post Mega ability should not be used as an anti-ban argument.

Blaziken (and it’s Mega Evolution) both possess the ability Speed Boost, which, while they cannot be shared, can allow them to be inherently dominating in an inherently offensive metagame. Blaziken still has all of the problems that made it Uber back in the day, except here in Shared Power it does not have to worry about any kind of passive damage from Stealth Rock, Flare Blitz, or Life Orb thanks to Magic Guard. Blaziken’s insane offensive coverage still persists, and defensive counterplay to Blaziken is hard to come by. It’s very easy for Blaziken to win games if the opponent allows it to get up a single Swords Dance. However, a few things have to be noted. Blaziken’s main form of STAB is invalidated by Heatran teams as they all carry a useful Fire immunity. Blaziken also sometimes lacks the power to KO threats behind a Multiscale and tends to get walled by things such as Dragonite without HP Ice. Blaziken cannot be used on Contrary teams due to Speed Boost clashing with the ability. This means that Blaziken cannot take advantage of Beast Boost and Moxie and Intimidate teams will not usually struggle with Blaziken teams. For these reasons I believe that a suspect test for this Pokemon is appropriate in the current Shared Power metagame.
How do I vote?
Since we don’t have a ladder on Pokemon Showdown, voting will take place in this thread with no laddering requirement. Voters will vote on either Blaziken, Mega Gyarados, or both. Also, when you vote, you have to write a reasoning for your voting. Your reasoning can be brief, but has to make sense. No “don’t ban gyara bc it beats stall and stall is bad” or anything like that. Failure to follow this means your vote will not count.

Why not just wait until OMotM?
A few reasons. I want our hopeful OMotM to have as balanced of a ladder as possible. Getting OMotM is also not a guaranteed thing. Another reason is that this suspect test will spark some more community involvement in time for the February voting.

NP Song:

You may not cast your votes yet. The suspect test will commence as soon as urkerab unbans Blaziken and Blazikenite from Shared Power on ROM. Also requesting that he posts in this thread when he does it in order to signify the start of the suspect test.

Espeon @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam

Alomomola @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald

Dragonite @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Facade

Deoxys-Defense @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Pyukumuku @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Counter
- Toxic
- Soak

Basically just pp stall your opponent

Not sure where I stand on Blaziken yet. It's an excellent anti-offense mon but kind of struggles against more defensive teams, requires a lot of support to not get shut down by stuff like unaware Pex and it's STAB combo is resisted by Dragonite who's uhhhh a given on every defensive team. It's a good mon but right now I honestly don't think it has enough flexibility to stay banned in this meta.

Haven't had much of an opportunity to play with/against M-Gyara since the Simple ban so I can't really comment on that just yet.

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
Im also not sure about my opinions on Blaziken, on one hand, its hits hard and is hard to counter if you put Dazzling/Queenly Majesty/Psychic Surge on your team, unless you have a bulky pokemon. Dragonite does in fact resist Blaziken's STABs, but Quagsire also resists one of its STABs, as well as both of its STABs are super effective on Blaziken, topped with Unaware, Blaziken cant set up any attack boosts.

i also havent played much of M-Gyara, though.

As you may have noticed, there’s a new poll on the first post in this thread in order to further gauge the opinions on the community. After some time thinking it through, this suspect test will be decided by community vote using this poll rather than the previously mentioned method. I’m going to expand on the roles of these 2 Pokemon for those who are unfamiliar with the metagame, trying to sound as objective as possible.

In the short time that I’ve used Blaziken, I can say it’s threatening in theory like it is on paper. While it struggles to break past teams with Flash Fire as well as Multiscale teams and the such, Blaziken is still a deadly offensive presence that shines even more in this metagame. I’d like to say one thing- Mega Blaziken is awful. The attack boost isn’t worth the Mega slot because regular Blaziken hits just as hard with a Life Orb and usually does not have to worry about recoil thanks to Magic Guard. This makes the Mega a rather obsolete option unless the team isn’t in any particular need of a Mega Evolution. Back to regular Blaziken though, it can easily clean through unprepared teams. The lack of recoil really makes it spammable and really makes it hit hard right away. However, Blaziken is rather bad as an early-game sweeper since the metagame has multiple defensive answers to it. It’s easier to revenge kill Blaziken in Shared Power than in regular tiers due to most answers being able to survive an attack at +2. However, the opposite is also true- Blaziken also has the option to use Multiscale, limiting the amount of Pokemon that can OHKO it despite its poor bulk. The fact that it’s nigh unusable on teams with Contrary (arguably the greatest offensive ability in Shared Power) limits the amount of teambuilding flexibility that Blaziken teams have.

Mega Gyarados is a Pokemon that started in Shared Power as a B-ranked Pokemon and moved all the way up to S very quickly. Mega Gyarados has access to what might be the best ability in the game, which is Mold Breaker, in combintion with great bulk, Dragon Dance setup capabilities, stallbreaking power thanks to Taunt, and two more great abilities before Mega Evolving. Despite not being able to share Mold Breaker, Mega Gyarados is still an amazing choice on just about any type of team because unlike the other Pokemon with restricted abilities (like Blaziken), Mega Gyarados does share its ability before Mega Evolving. This means that the entire team has access to an Intimidate switch-in before Mega Gyarados evolves. Upon Mega Evolving, the team loses Intimidate and in turn gains a deadly wallbreaker that is able to ignore defensive counterplay such as Unaware and Multiscale that could otherwise contain Mega Gyarados. If all of this wasn’t enough- Prankster counterplay does not exist because Mega Gyarados is inherently immune to Prankster moves thanks to being a Dark type. Other forms of priority can also be blocked out by Psychic Surge. It’s very easy to patch up Mega Gyarados’s few flaws thanks to its teammates, making it incredibly splashable on most teams. Unlike Blaziken, for example, which cannot be used on teams with Contrary or Beast Boost, Mega Gyarados can be used on any type of archetype with little to no drawback.

The poll in the original post will be up until 1/29 in time for the end of January. Please vote! It’s the community involvement that helps develop this metagame.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why Blaziken cannot be used on a team with Beast Boost? I haven't been great about keeping up with the thread; did I miss a complex ban somewhere?

Some of these teams are based on what I've seen, They aren't necessarily optimized.
The multiplier stuff is just to show roughly how many boosts you can get with that type of team.

Offense:
Technician + Skill Link + Adaptability + Life Orb (3 more abilities to choose from left)
125 base w/ 1.5 * 2(stab + adaptability)*1.3 = 3.9 multiplier
Sample: https://pokepast.es/0abd36a029ea2793 (was not sure what mons to use)

Guts + Toxic Boost + Adaptability + Levitate(Anti MistyTerrain)/Something to Stop Priority + Quick Feet + Poison Heal
1.5 *1.5* 2(stab + adaptability) =4.5 multiplier
Tapu Lele + Porygon Z + The Rest: https://pokepast.es/3d94b355233ee690

Sheer Force + Adaptability + Life Orb (4 more abilities to choose from left)
1.3*2(stab + adaptability)*1.3 = 3.38 multiplier
Sample: Prankster Fairy Nature Power Spam: https://pokepast.es/8e9f1ad21c7c127d

Gale Wings + Reckless + Magic Guard + Adaptability + Tough Claws + Life Orb (1 more ability to choose from)
1.2*1.3*1.3*2(stab + adaptability) = 4.056 multiplier
Sample Birb Spam: https://pokepast.es/7789c3948278b2fa

Sniper + Super Luck + Razor Claw + Hustle + No Guard(2 more abilities to choose from)
1.5*1.5*1.5= 3.375
Sample: https://pokepast.es/50a1a95ef3fb781e

Defense:
Multiscale (5 more abilities to choose from left) there aren't really very many defense boosting abilities.
*2 multiplier
Sample: Prankster Harvest Gluttony MultiScale Gastro Acid: https://pokepast.es/3e76d3af00612467
In my opinion, offense is better than defense in this meta. Just because there are a lot more offense boosting abilities than defense boosting abilities.

Some of these teams are based on what I've seen, They aren't necessarily optimized.
The multiplier stuff is just to show roughly how many boosts you can get with that type of team.

Offense:
Technician + Skill Link + Adaptability + Life Orb (3 more abilities to choose from left)
125 base w/ 1.5 * 2(stab + adaptability)*1.3 = 3.9 multiplier
Sample: https://pokepast.es/0abd36a029ea2793 (was not sure what mons to use)

Guts + Toxic Boost + Adaptability + Levitate(Anti MistyTerrain)/Something to Stop Priority + Quick Feet + Poison Heal
1.5 *1.5* 2(stab + adaptability) =4.5 multiplier
Tapu Lele + Porygon Z + The Rest: https://pokepast.es/3d94b355233ee690

Sheer Force + Adaptability + Life Orb (4 more abilities to choose from left)
1.3*2(stab + adaptability)*1.3 = 3.38 multiplier
Sample: Prankster Fairy Nature Power Spam: https://pokepast.es/8e9f1ad21c7c127d

Gale Wings + Reckless + Magic Guard + Adaptability + Tough Claws + Life Orb (1 more ability to choose from)
1.2*1.3*1.3*2(stab + adaptability) = 4.056 multiplier
Sample Birb Spam: https://pokepast.es/7789c3948278b2fa

Sniper + Super Luck + Razor Claw + Hustle + No Guard(2 more abilities to choose from)
1.5*1.5*1.5= 3.375
Sample: https://pokepast.es/50a1a95ef3fb781e

Defense:
Multiscale (5 more abilities to choose from left) there aren't really very many defense boosting abilities.
*2 multiplier
Sample: Prankster Harvest Gluttony MultiScale Gastro Acid: https://pokepast.es/3e76d3af00612467
In my opinion, offense is better than defense in this meta. Just because there are a lot more offense boosting abilities than defense boosting abilities.
Stall is good imo. Clef+Dnite+Pex/any other regen+chansey+2 more eg suicune/quagsire/DeoD/Aegislash/Skarm/LandoT/A moldy mon is pretty good

Also ur skill link team is pretty terrible

Idunno, when a lot of offense teams are still packing MBounce/Guard or Multiscale/Regen etc, stall just can't do much to wear down the opponent. I think Stall is just kind of fundamentally flawed here because if it ever became widespread in the meta, people could just start running Regen + MGuard Bulky Offense teams, which pretty much hard counters the most most Stall archetypes.

There's probably a way to make it work, but I'm still struggling to figure out what it is.

Can someone explain to me why Blaziken cannot be used on a team with Beast Boost? I haven't been great about keeping up with the thread; did I miss a complex ban somewhere?
To elaborate a bit more on what Haaku said, it's not that Contrary + Blaziken are banned from being used on the same team, but that Contrary makes Speed Boost worse than useless.

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
Idunno, when a lot of offense teams are still packing MBounce/Guard or Multiscale/Regen etc, stall just can't do much to wear down the opponent. I think Stall is just kind of fundamentally flawed here because if it ever became widespread in the meta, people could just start running Regen + MGuard Bulky Offense teams, which pretty much hard counters the most most Stall archetypes.

There's probably a way to make it work, but I'm still struggling to figure out what it is.

To elaborate a bit more on what Haaku said, it's not that Contrary + Blaziken are banned from being used on the same team, but that Contrary makes Speed Boost worse than useless.
Stall is actually really good and cancerous. Although typical stall teams in most metas use stuff like hazards and status to wear down opponents, that is unviable in this meta because magic guard is everywhere. So then what does stall resort too, well stalls goal is to not lose. Really all stall can try and do in this meta is just not lose and pp stall. With the abilities regenerator/magicguard/multiscale you can accomplish this really well and simply not lose by switching back and forward. This will basically force endless battles and the game to be on who has more time when you fight a stall team. I believe that after gyarados and kyurem-b gets banned then stall will run rampant and be a very good playstyle in this sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)