Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Hello. This is my first day on this forum and the main reason I subscribed is because I wanted to ask a simple question. Why is deoxys d banned? yeah, it has good stats and decent support moves, but it's typing and ability are horrible. This pokemon wouldn't be that used even in OU so I wonder, why is it an Uber? is it a stats thing?
I wasn't around back then but this thread should hold the answer: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...g-round-4-alienation-of-the-wretched.3509824/
edit: sniped

Actually, Deoxys-D has already been OU in previous generations, and was also banned. If you want to know more about that, you can look at Deoxys-D discussion thread as it was suspect tested in XY (http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...g-round-4-alienation-of-the-wretched.3509824/)
Interesting that they suspect tested speed and defense. speed is definitively a monster that should remain in ubers, but defense? deoxys defense is great for hazards, but it's also a sitting duck, a bait for setting up. Honestly I can see it go as low as UU if it is released from Ubers.

EDIT: Well, maybe not UU, but BL definitively.

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Interesting that they suspect tested speed and defense. speed is definitively a monster that should remain in ubers, but defense? deoxys defense is great for hazards, but it's also a sitting duck, a bait for setting up. Honestly I can see it go as low as UU if it is released from Ubers.

EDIT: Well, maybe not UU, but BL definitively.
Deo-D was deceptively good at what it did. Thanks to how bulky it was, it didn't need to run Focus Sash which opened the door to a shitload of different item choices like Leftovers, Tanga/Colbur Berry, Mental Herb, Red Card, and even Life Orb, all to get past what might give it trouble in getting hazards up. There are a few Pokemon that already have Spikes + SR, but not only is Deo-D superior in terms of stats (90 Speed is very good given its bulk, and its offenses weren't too bad either as you'll see), they don't even come close to the sheer versatility it had up its sleeve to beat its would-be answers. You've of course got Taunt and Magic Coat to stop opposing hazard setters/Taunt users/setup mons/whatever. Skill Swap also saw some use (at least in BW2) in order to get past Magic Bounce users, and T-Wave, CounterCoat, and Toxic could prolly be used to fuck over sweepers or walls. And then of course, because Deo-D is still a Deoxys forme, it's got a great offensive movepool to choose from if needbe. 70 Atk/SpA isn't enough for a consistent offensive presence, yes, but it IS enough to let it break past specific mons as its team needed. It's got stuff like Thunder/Thunderbolt, Psycho Boost, Superpower, HP Fire, Ice Beam, Knock Off, and so on; it could beat so many offensive threats given the right moveset and item choice (I wouldn't be surprised if people would try running Z Moves on it if it was legal rn). While obviously it can't do all of these things at once, it could just be tuned to whatever your teams needs, so its ability to get up hazards on top of how many ways it could snuff out an opposition made it banworthy.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Can someone bring an old man like me up to speed with the current OU metagame trends? I was here during the aurora veil spam days but then had to leave for reasons and stuff. D:

edit - deo days were rough man. never bring them back down. dont consider bringing normal deo and whatever uber threats down. also, what are some good teams to consider using to get back up to speed on the metagame other than shitty kokolucha rain

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Can someone bring an old man like me up to speed with the current OU metagame trends? I was here during the aurora veil spam days but then had to leave for reasons and stuff. D:

edit - deo days were rough man. never bring them back down. dont consider bringing normal deo and whatever uber threats down. also, what are some good teams to consider using to get back up to speed on the metagame other than shitty kokolucha rain
Off the top of my head: Dugtrio is banned now so Heatran is better than it's ever been, Choice Specs Koko has become Koko's best set and one of the best mons in the current meta, which also pairs well with another beast rn in LO Kyurem-B. Charizard-Y isn't good anymore and other mons that were good back then like Zap have went down in usage too. CB Tyranitar doesn't fear Dugtrio anymore so it's being used a lot as of late. Kartana slowly became a top tier threat in the last couple of months, going from Scarf hype to SD being the best set atm (usually runs SD 3atks fightz or darkz or sd 2atks defog). Some HOs got a lot of use during OLT but most of them didnt last long bar Gondra HO with z-celebrate Victini, another recent underrated threat. Other stuff you may want to know is Iron Head is now standard on AV Mage to deal with opposing Mages and CM Clefs, Venusaur is decent rn and usually runs EQ for Heatran, Volcarona is still a dangerous threat and now runs zBug Buzz sets with either HP Ground or Substitute as last move. Theres probably more stuff but this is what I could think of in 5 mins, hope it helps

Adding on to Leo's post, Kartana's best set currently is SubSD which has enough bulk to laugh at Toxapex's Scald which can't even break the Substitute. Stall is not as common anymore although some are still around with Unaware Quagsire / Clefable in their ranks. Victini has started running its Z-Celebrate set which is a pretty decent cleaner. Zard-X has gone from garbage to decent breaker with its 3 Atks + Roost set since Lando is mostly Offensive and Pex runs more Special Defense. Kyurem-B is also emerging as a breaker and is paired with Tapu Koko. Focus Sash Dual Hazards + Taunt Greninja is very popular right now as well.

Can someone give me an interesting (but decent) core to build around? I'm bored.
Sub-Sd Kartana + Specs Ash gren is fire !
Now, more seriously, Kartana can setup istelf versus all of the mon that can come on Gren bar Av Magearna which causes this core to be able to shred more or less any balanced defensive core

Deo-D was deceptively good at what it did. Thanks to how bulky it was, it didn't need to run Focus Sash which opened the door to a shitload of different item choices like Leftovers, Tanga/Colbur Berry, Mental Herb, Red Card, and even Life Orb, all to get past what might give it trouble in getting hazards up. There are a few Pokemon that already have Spikes + SR, but not only is Deo-D superior in terms of stats (90 Speed is very good given its bulk, and its offenses weren't too bad either as you'll see), they don't even come close to the sheer versatility it had up its sleeve to beat its would-be answers. You've of course got Taunt and Magic Coat to stop opposing hazard setters/Taunt users/setup mons/whatever. Skill Swap also saw some use (at least in BW2) in order to get past Magic Bounce users, and T-Wave, CounterCoat, and Toxic could prolly be used to fuck over sweepers or walls. And then of course, because Deo-D is still a Deoxys forme, it's got a great offensive movepool to choose from if needbe. 70 Atk/SpA isn't enough for a consistent offensive presence, yes, but it IS enough to let it break past specific mons as its team needed. It's got stuff like Thunder/Thunderbolt, Psycho Boost, Superpower, HP Fire, Ice Beam, Knock Off, and so on; it could beat so many offensive threats given the right moveset and item choice (I wouldn't be surprised if people would try running Z Moves on it if it was legal rn). While obviously it can't do all of these things at once, it could just be tuned to whatever your teams needs, so its ability to get up hazards on top of how many ways it could snuff out an opposition made it banworthy.
thanks for the insight. Thanks to everyone that answered me as well.

What is the right EV spread (252/252/4 or 252/192/64) for Toxapex in a TangPex core ? I want to build a balanced team around TangPex with VoltTurn and Kyurem-B as a cleaner.

Q: why is Manaphy considered B-tier when Suicune is B+? As far as I can tell, they are both very similiar. Suicune has +15 to defenses and - 15 spd and -10 sp atk compared to manaphy, and manaphy gets tail glow and more coverage. What makes Suicune better than Manaphy in this regard?

Q: why is Manaphy considered B-tier when Suicune is B+? As far as I can tell, they are both very similiar. Suicune has +15 to defenses and - 15 spd and -10 sp atk compared to manaphy, and manaphy gets tail glow and more coverage. What makes Suicune better than Manaphy in this regard?
Actually, Suicune's ability to PP Stall, thanks to pressure, nearly every defensive mon in the tier while still able to act as a wincon causes Cune to separate itself from Manaphy, then the tier acually adapted itself to him, with mon such as Ferrothorn or M-Venu who are able to deal with it, while Suicune still has that PP stall option to beat its checks.

Actually, Suicune's ability to PP Stall, thanks to pressure, nearly every defensive mon in the tier while still able to act as a wincon causes Cune to separate itself from Manaphy, then the tier acually adapted itself to him, with mon such as Ferrothorn or M-Venu who are able to deal with it, while Suicune still has that PP stall option to beat its checks.
So it's like manaphy but with the ability to pp stall as well? Ok I see now, thanks!

So it's like manaphy but with the ability to pp stall as well? Ok I see now, thanks!
Manaphy isn't the best mon to compare it to cause they have different roles. Manaphy is a wallbreaker/sweeper (now possible with z-dance), that invests in it's offensive stats and sets up fast by clicking tailglow. Suicine is a wall/bulky wincon. It invests in both offensive (speed) and defensive stats, and aims to set up slowly but surely, alternating between calm mind, scald, protect, and substitute, to stall turns, drain pp, and slowly get stronger and bulkier. Notably, suicune almost always runs mono-stab, while manaphy is required to maximize it's coverage.

So I'm thinking about returning to the OU metagame and decided to run a sand team since it was easier to build. Issue is that Support Tyranitar isn't as effective anymore and I'm unsure of what threats to prepare for. I'm thinking maybe Mixed Thundy for a Hyper Offensive core. What are some pokemon you all think would be good candidates?

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
So I'm thinking about returning to the OU metagame and decided to run a sand team since it was easier to build. Issue is that Support Tyranitar isn't as effective anymore and I'm unsure of what threats to prepare for. I'm thinking maybe Mixed Thundy for a Hyper Offensive core. What are some pokemon you all think would be good candidates?
If you want an easy to build weather team, for the love of god please just use rain. Sand is shit now. If you really insist, then I'd say you'll absolutely need Exca and perhaps hippowdon. Mixed thundy isn't very good in this meta. Perhaps Koko instead? idk, i'm tired rn so i can't think, just don't use sand please, especially not sand balance. This isn't gen 6.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)