Metagame Sketchmons

Yo, below is a Hyper Offensive Sketchmons team I made sometime back around Nihilego, though at first only because I wanted to toy around with tail glow, but turned out to be decently good.

Importable ::
Nihilego @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot

Tapu Lele @ Mind Plate
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Blue Flare

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Hone Claws

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dazzling Gleam

Swellow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Boomburst
- Quick Attack
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Close Combat
- Ice Beam

Description :
  • As I said I wanted to make a team around Nihilego since with Beast Boost and Tail Glow it has a superb sweeping potential imo. Initially aimed to be a balance with magnezone support(which failed miserably btw), I later changed the team to HO, a play-style I personally relish. At +3 and with z move it actually gets KOes on spdef celesteela and heatran which is remarkable. Also I opted for grass knot over hp something since I value hitting grounds a lot more than steels in general for this team since most steel mons have a secondary typing which hinders them or can be dealt easily by the rest of the team.
  • Coming to HO, I needed a good lead and swellow for some reason seemed fun, since it does get scrappy endeavor and boomburst, which means with proper prediction it can actually 1v1 most leads easily, and especially sableye on stall. Another option was kanga but that thing was bulky and slow hence being counterproductive.
  • Next up I felt like I needed another set-up sweeper which attracts same kind of mons as nihilego does, so in-came Quiver Dance Tapu koko, at +1 thunderbolt is actually crazy strong, and hidden power fire does what it needs to that is to lure and kill ferro, a major thorn(no pun intended) in nihilego's path, also dazzling weakens zygarde for nihilego putting it in range for +3 grass knot.
  • Since the team didn't have any physical attacker till now, I just ended up adding mega-aero to the mix and I assume it doesn't need any introduction if you have faced jrdn's mega aero team because this thing is fucking strong. It allows me to revenge stuff like mega pinsir, and even it has a set-up move in hone claws though it can be replaced easily with ice fang/aqua tail.
  • Till now priority kind of destroys this team, so obviously incomes lele. Lele is my premier stall breaker with psychic/fairy/fire coverage not resisted by anything except heatran. Mind Plate is the chosen item allowing me to bluff scarf as non scarf blue flare is generally not used, and in general it does lele things like nuking stuff etc.
  • Finally I needed a solid revenge killer so I just slapped a good old protean scarf ninja, which is actually able to out-speed problematic stuff like sand rush drill and stuff. Close Combat is the sketched move, giving another reliable way to revenge kill steels, where as it contains gunk shot to lure and kill tapus in general.
Aha so ur the one who made that team with the cc scarf gren that reked me af. Overall ur team has loads of surprise factor and has a lot of threats that people don't prepare for making it dangerous, I speak from experience after all. I'm not sold on swellow though as it's a suicide lead and there seem to be quite a few better options. It does ruin sableye offense, and most people don't see the sr coming, but overall something like aero seems to outclass it in general. The only MU in which swellow is better is against msab. Then again it does have surprise factor which seems to be the prevalent theme across ur entire team.

One major threat is sticky webs tbh. With webs up and no hazard removal, ur gonna be relying on maero a lot. OF made a HO team without any hazard removal and it turned out to cope fine by applying pressure early, so urs might do the same but that is definitely the one thing that sticks out most to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Sample at the request of Racool

Accelgor HO

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- V-create

Slowbro @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Blue Flare
- Calm Mind

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Encore
- Bug Buzz

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Naive Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
Accelgor is a great lead with its insane speed and access to sash + Unburden + Encore essentially preventing any sort of set up on it. SR is Sketched and Spikes are there for more hazards, Bug Buzz is generally there just to break sashes. Zapdos is sort of the meme of the team, an unexpected set up sweeper. Very few consider that Zapdos has a mean 125 base SpA. I used its nice physical bulk in combination with Quiver Dance to create a devastating bulky sweeper. Landorus is a wall breaker, it smashes through pretty much everything with V-Create, besides Quag I guess. Slowbro is the only wall on the team, a mixed defensive RegenVest set with Volt Switch to pivot on as much as it can, I get this idea from AAA. Latios is another wallbreaker, with Blue Flare to hit things like Magearna and Celesteela. Finally, Mence is the late game sweeper with Scarf Moxie Dragon Ascent being able to sweep most teams on matchup. Just use the combination of V-Create, Blue Flare, and Mence's Fire Blast to beat Cele/Skarm/Mag so Mence can win later.

**Bit of an announcement to all sketch players**
The council are considering banning webs as a sketchable move, but before we take any action we would like to open the matter for discussion in this thread. Feel free to comment with you opinions, whether they be for or against webs ban.

If you can back your opinions up with calcs or replays that would be extremely helpful. At the very least please include some reasoning as oppose to just "don't ban" or "ban"

Last edited:

Fardin

Tournament Banned
Sticky Webs is like SR. If it affects the team too much, it should have a pokemon that isn't negatively affected by SW, preferably faster than P-Z, and can remove them or have its own Webs user. It's a good strategy in HO, but not a bannable strategy.
at this point, its not even really a strategy imo, you just have it there cause there is no reason not to. Webs isnt that common in other tiers because it takes up a whole slot just for that 1 move, but in sketch, u dont need to make any sacrficies, and the amount of mon that benefits from it is insane

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
The problem with webs in other metagames is the user. Mons that have webs all suck. Speed tiers are bad, offensive capability is insignificant, and it's easy to handle if you are prepared, simply because if you see a shuckle, smeargle, leavanny, etc, you know what it's going to do. Here, however, there's no predictability, and that makes webs, which is already effective in standard tiers, far, far more problematic to deal with.

Here are some meme sets which have (not) worked well for me before:

Swoobat @ Leftovers
Ability: Simple
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Acupressure
- Air Slash
- Stored Power

Simple Acupressure a nice +80 boost in power to Stored Power per turn, as well as occasionally boosting a useful stat! If you get an Evasion boost, it's basically over. Leftovers is there because pretty much an item would do, to be honest. Feel free to put on Flyinium Z or something. Another thing to consider would be Absorb Bulb and all those other semi-useless such items as they give another +2 Stat boost.

Spinda @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Superpower
- Frustration
- Substitute

I think you can all tell what this does - Sub and Spam V-Create/Superpower. Forfeit if they bring a Chandelure. Lefties again for lack of a better item.

Regigigas @ Psychium Z
Ability: Slow Start
Adamant Nature
- Skill Swap
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Now this is something terrifying - Z-Skill Swap not only gets rid of your Slow Start and gives you a (potentially) useful ability in return, it gives you a +1 Speed boost, making this thing a monstrous late-game cleaner.

Komala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Whirlwind

OK, this isn't a serious set, but it is quite funny. For those who don't know, you can use Sleep Talk with the ability Comatose and with your only other move being Whirlwind, you can keep calling it forever to shuffle the opposing team. Obviously, works best if you have hazards up.

Butterfree @ Leftovers
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Lax Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Iron Defense
- Oblivion Wing

Now this thing is really awful, but if you're lucky and they don't have a single Rock-type, you're in the money. Iron Defence to make yourself unbreakable on the physical side, Quiver to start sweeping, Sleep Powder for what you can't kill or threatens you with status, Oblivion Wing for recovery/damage. The perfect set. If only Toxic didn't exist.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

Swoobat @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Acupressure
- Air Slash
- Stored Power

Simple Acupressure a nice +80 boost in power to Stored Power per turn, as well as occasionally boosting a useful stat! If you get an Evasion boost, it's basically over. Leftovers is there because pretty much an item would do, to be honest. Feel free to put on Flyinium Z or something. Another thing to consider would be Absorb Bulb and all those other semi-useless such items as they give another +2 Stat boost.

Spinda @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Superpower
- Frustration
- Substitute

I think you can all tell what this does - Sub and Spam V-Create/Superpower. Forfeit if they bring a Chandelure. Lefties again for lack of a better item.

Regigigas @ Psychium Z
Adamant Nature
- Skill Swap
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Now this is something terrifying - Z-Skill Swap not only gets rid of your Slow Start and gives you a (potentially) useful ability in return, it gives you a +1 Speed boost, making this thing a monstrous late-game cleaner.

Komala @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Whirlwind

OK, this isn't a serious set, but it is quite funny. For those who don't know, you can use Sleep Talk with the ability Comatose and with your only other move being Whirlwind, you can keep calling it forever to shuffle the opposing team. Obviously, works best if you have hazards up.

Butterfree @ Leftovers
Lax Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Iron Defense
- Oblivion Wing

Now this thing is really awful, but if you're lucky and they don't have a single Rock-type, you're in the money. Iron Defence to make yourself unbreakable on the physical side, Quiver to start sweeping, Sleep Powder for what you can't kill or threatens you with status, Oblivion Wing for recovery/damage. The perfect set. If only Toxic didn't exist.
Idk why you would use Butterfree for that set tbh. Other Quiver Dancers are better, like Venomoth or Volcarona, or you can sketch Quiver Dance on something like Necrozma or if you're willing to boost more for the speed Slowbro(-mega) or Reuniclus or Gastrodon or you could run Vaporeon or Jirachi (only wish as recovery). Mega Altaria will be good but is unreleased.

Comaphazing is annoying, and was actually banned in some metas like bh.

You're probably better off with Quiver Dance on Swoobat as well. Boosts faster and is always relevant.

Malamar > Spinda, and they both suck tbh. Memes are fun tho.

That Gigas set looks fun, I may try it.

Swoobat @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Acupressure
- Air Slash
- Stored Power

Spinda @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Superpower
- Frustration
- Substitute

Regigigas @ Psychium Z
Adamant Nature
- Skill Swap
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Komala @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Whirlwind

Butterfree @ Leftovers
Lax Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Iron Defense
- Oblivion Wing

Firstly, the swoobat:
tbh accupressure is a great meme, but it seems like just a pray for evasion kinda thing. Unless you get evasion, you will have been better off with qd. On the other hand, if you really want to use accupressure, might I reccomend drapion? It has better typing, cant be hit by toxic, and you can sketch like power trip on it. I used resttalk as a bit of a cancer meme set a while ago and iirc it pulled off one or two funny sweeps if thats what ur looking for.
Secondly the spinda:
I get that you want to use a contrary mon other than serperior, and spinda looks like it could be quite cool, the only thing is that imo malamar is just better. It has much better bulk and overall stats, and you can run knock on it for ghost types.
Now onto the Regi:
This is hands down the coolest set I think youve come up with, as I never thought of z-skill swap. I can see it also being quite terrifying on slaking, perhaps even slightly better, although regi gets knock which is nice. Not much more to say about this set, other than I might be trying it out soon.
Ok now Komala:
I have seen this before, in fact if I do recall correctly, Megazard used it in the sketch open at one point. My only qualm with it is speed tier tbh. Even with scarf, it struggles vs a large portion of the meta, as the meta is so offensively inclined. This makes phazing quite hard, as in bh the perpetrators were mons like deoxys which have ridiculous speed tiers. Other than that, it can be quite devestating for a team without an answer, but you pretty much auto-lose on the msab matchup. Also be wary that a lot of stuff run rapid spin in the meta, so if you are pairing this mon up with a hazard setter (and if youre not then do so lol), do not use a suicide hazard lead imo. All it takes is one random rapid spin mon and suddenly ur whole strat with komala is ruined.
Finally the butterfree:
Not gonna lie, this looks kinda trash. Normally im all up for a meme.... but this is exceeding the borderline. This being a quiver dance sweeper, it helps if it doesnt get walled by every single steel and rock type. Then there is the mon itself. Oblivion wing is a cool sketch move, but its much better suited for different sets and different mons. Volcarona could work if you are adamant on the quiver dance theme. On the other hand, there is another cool set you could run that my friend Official Fissure came up with:

Celesteela @ Metronome
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Autotomize
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
Automize to boost speed, blast and cannon for coverage and stab, and oblivion wing for stab and recovery. With metronome, if you hit oblivion wing 3 times in a row, ur gonna be hitting harder than specs, and ur opp wont really know whats happening lol. Beast boost is what gives this mon sweeping potential as well.

The problem with webs in other metagames is the user. Mons that have webs all suck. Speed tiers are bad, offensive capability is insignificant, and it's easy to handle if you are prepared, simply because if you see a shuckle, smeargle, leavanny, etc, you know what it's going to do. Here, however, there's no predictability, and that makes webs, which is already effective in standard tiers, far, far more problematic to deal with.
Switching back to the webs discussion, I thought I would add my opinion on the matter. I personally agree with Fardin and Jordn that webs is unhealthy for the meta. Post mega gross and pher and duggy, webs offense has pretty become the meta in a nutshell, as it is being spammed by everyone pretty much. This is saying a lot as before the other bans webs offense was still a strong threat. Tbh I think the main reason why webs wasn't ban/suspect worthy back then was because of mega gross. With clear body, it was unaffected by webs, and was able to get off a dd and pretty much sweep most webs teams. With that no longer being the case, webs offense is becoming a huge nuisance for the following reasons:
1. It can be slapped onto pretty much any HO mon, making it hugely unpredictable.
Now a lot of people (scratch that, the limited number of people that look at the sketch thread) might be thinking that this is a bit dumb, as you can also run defog/spin on any mon, but let me explain my logic. Webs in other tiers are very easy to predict. You see a galvantula or a shuckle, and you instantly know ur going up against webs, and you plan accordingly. Here however, you can get webs on any mon, and for the most part you can slap it on any HO mon (HO being the only playstyle which uses webs). And webs are much different from all the other hazards which only provide chip really. Webs gives unbelievable sweeping potential to loads of mons, and allows them to run specs/band instead of scarf so they hit incredibly hard. So a random mon can just put webs up without you expecting, and suddenly you face the threat of these hard hitting sweepers which rek ur team if you cant find a way to get them off quickly. This brings me to my second point.
2. The ludicrous offensive pressure from the benefitters of webs (e.g pz and ash-gren)
So ur opponent has got webs up and they have a scary looking team now which outspeeds, and outhits your team with webs up... what do you do? Well hopefully youve got some hazard removal, in which case you try and pivot into your spinner/defogger without sacking too many mons, or taking too much damage on key mons. Now factor in the fact that you are most likely coming up against monsters like specs adapt boomburst pz, and specs water spout ash gren. The amount of pressure these mons apply to literally any team is ridiculous. And with webs up, your scarfed revenge killer no longer does its job too well (unless its a flying mon). There are so few switchins to these mons that its kind of laughable. The only mon which switches in to both is chansey, and it still takes a ridiculous amount of damage for a chansey. 252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 240-284 (37.3 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 211-250 (32.8 - 38.9%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO. Also I might add that these are only special sweepers, and there are also scary physical attackers such as kart and koko that benefit hugely from webs.

Pretty much, to summarize, combining the unpredictability of webs with the sheer offensive pressure at hand in the meta and you get a pretty unhealthy situation imo.

I love that you guys gave me serious feedback for complete ass sets, lol. Thanks, though, I appreciate it. Here's two more for ya:

Clamperl @ Deep Sea Tooth
Ability: Rattled
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Water Shuriken
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Why would you use this over Cloyster? Besides being a fair bit stronger, it is a helluva lot danker.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Recover
- Shadow Claw
- Dynamic Punch

Coil several times until unbeatable - works well with Heatran to counter Fairies. Dynamic Punch becomes 100% accurate after just three coils.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been the dude pushing for webs to be dealt with the longest and was asked to say something but nobody's argued against doing anything about it so I got nothing yet. Anyway, I got into sketches because of OMGS and now that it's over I'd like to share some of my stuff. This could still be a great meta, go out and experiment with stuff because most of this was really just a "hey this seems good I'll try that". Or just try Barbaracle it sounds epic.
Also yeah, I did use Komala. It's a fun gimmick but by no means great and requires a ridiculous amount of support. Comaphaze has been banned in some other OMs but I don't expect that to be necessary here.

buzzwole.gif

Buzzwole @ Fightinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Superpower
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab

This set is baller, Beast Boost + Z-move eliminates any need for attack boosting from DD or something so you just boost up and go. Appreciates Psychic Terrain but has the bulk to not need it, can't touch a few things like Zapdos but can be incredibly potent in the right matchup. I also imagine CB U-Turn might not be bad.
642.png

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Grass Knot

Physical Thundy's never been great because you need to get the attack boost and its movepool is poor, but this is in the same boat as MAero with "wow Dragon Ascent makes it good!". Also like MAero you can punish most Flying resists really hard with GK/Superpower, and Wild Charge even stops Skarmory. Bonus points for dual STAB hitting both Slowbro and Tangrowth, two really bulky mons that can't blanket you effectively.
tapukoko.gif

Tapu Koko @ Tapunium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Naive Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Nature's Madness
- Grass Knot
- U-turn

Everyone knows about Bolt Strike Koko (I think? Play Rough/Ice Beam are things too ig but if you didn't know it's good). Nature's Madness is not something everybody knows about, but they will when Ferrothorn comes in and takes 75%. Or like, pretty much anything you want. Koko's movepool is still poor so unless ur going with Roost or Taunt or something this is a pretty nice option I'd give some consideration.
485.png

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Seed Flare / Ice Beam

Checks Pinsir and Serperior and Mawile and Kartana and Porygon-Z and Tapu Lele and Celesteela and Jirachi in one slot. bop
473.png

Mamoswine @ Life Orb / Electrium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Bolt Strike
- Icicle Crash

Nothing counters Mamoswine with Bolt Strike, it's stupidly strong and gets priority as an added bonus. If you want to pick up a free kill every time a mon comes in there's a lot of things that can do it, but Mamoswine is a really solid option thanks to priority and not taking up the mega slot (talking about cham there). And yes, I'm mildly exaggerating, you just have to predict right and switch in the appropriate mon keeping in mind that it might die if you got it wrong. Not much better though.

Also Racool wanted my TR team as a sample because TR is really, really stupid, do ur own sprites though
Diancie @ Focus Sash
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Explosion

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Boomburst

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Extreme Speed
- Thunder Punch

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- V-create
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Primarina @ Primarium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Sparkling Aria
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
This team is super straightforward but incredibly effective because offense is the only common playstyle until people start adapting to this. Also does fine vs stall too btw. Anyway, Diancie is your basic Trick Room + Stealth Rock lead sketching Rock Blast because it can OHKO Accelgor/Aerodactyl leads through sash. P2 is the second setter with access to Download Boomburst because duck can also hit stupidly hard. Then you've just got 4 really strong mons to take advantage of Trick Room. Mega Mawile is the only source of priority and great for revenge killing out of Trick Room, but also the main setup sweeper just in case that's needed (it almost never is). Marowak-A can also set up but really you just wanna spam V-Create because it does silly things like OHKO offensive Lando-T and Mega Aero after rocks. If they don't have Heatran, this is the #1 wallbreaker. Primarina is there as another TR setter with a bit more offensive pressure that threatens Grounds most of the team is Ground weak (although not enough to matter too much). Finally Rhyperior can tank one hit from pretty much anything that's not a special grass or water type and also has the most spammable wallbreaking move on the team in Banded Thousand Arrows (if they've got some V-Create immunity). There's nothing to using this, just set up TR and go to town with your strong wallbreakers.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore/Toxic
- Recover/U-Turn

Komala @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

I know that komala has a bad speed tier, so i also use sticky web :P I know it is an annoying strategy, but when i start teambuilding i need something that inspires me and it was the only thing that came to my mind.
I really don't know if it is better toxic than encore. The biggest thing for me is choosing recover or U-Turn. If i choose the first, Shuckle can come multiple time (even more) to put SR on the field. If i choose U-Turn i can pivot safely to Komala and start being THAT person.
I still have to choose the other four teammates.

Last edited:
Shuckle @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore/Toxic
- Recover/U-Turn

Komala @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

I know that komala has a bad speed tier, so i also use sticky web :P I know it is an annoying strategy, but when i start teambuilding i need something that inspires me and it was the only thing that came to my mind.
I really don't know if it is better toxic than encore. The biggest thing for me is choosing recover or U-Turn. If i choose the first, Shuckle can come multiple time (even more) to put SR on the field. If i choose U-Turn i can pivot safely to Komala and start being THAT person.
I still have to choose the other four teammates.
Use Whirlwind instead of Roar. They're exactly the same except that Whirlwind works against Soundproof mons and Roar doesn't.

Damn, i used Roar because of its flavour. Komala can't whirlwind things XD I'll use it then :P
And hw about Recover vs U-Turn?

its honestly a tossup, but personally I would go for uturn. The highly likely outcome of u leading with shuckle is that they will go to their defogger, so if you have uturn there you can predit the switch and instantly starrt phazing with komala. The reason why i would use it over recover, is beecause due to whirlwind's pp, in addition to the nature of the metagame, I highly doubt you will be in a situation where you need to recover on shuckle so get hazards up, so that you can start phazing again.

Last edited:
Just wondering, will Sketchmons get a VR any time soon?
The long awaited Sketch resources should (hopefully) be going up shortly, and a VR will be included in that dw.

In the mean time, thought I might post 2 sets for the new megas: swampert and sceptile, and see what all ur thoughts on them are
Swampert:

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

So I feel like weather is really underused other than sand, as rain and sun dont really have much that really benefits in sketch, while sand gets like tarrows excadrill. However, even tho I am yet to really test it, I thiink this could be a decent mon for a rain team to run tbh. I can see both shoreup, and swords dance being viable, and personally I think the sd set looks especially fun to use.Maybe more bulk on the shore up set would be better, but idrk as again, I havent really tested either out.

Sceptile:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Timid Nature
- Electrify
- Focus Blast
- dragon pulse
- Giga Drain

So I made the horrible mistake of picking a tragic set for sceptile, which is probably why I found it underwhelming, but the above set is probs what msceptile should run with electrify. I havent tested this set yet, but it is rather weak to priority, and given the prio spam in the meta I am not quite sure how well it will do. Perhaps pairing it with lele on a team might be quite good, either way, I stand by my original opinion that electrify sceptile isnt broken as many thought it would be due to stuff like mawile and alolan wak being so common.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ok so I have actually been playing some more Sketch as of late (even though queuing games is a commitment in itself) and I must say I have been having a lot of fun testing some new sets and everything so I guess I will share what I find to be potentially good.

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Timid Nature
- Electrify
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Substitute

So this is the Mega Sceptile set that I have been abusing under Webs and it actually has been performing quite well for me. I really like Electrify + Substitute since it can be great at setting up certain 50/50s against slower setup sweepers that would would try to evade attacking Scpetile in risk of it being effected by Lightning Rod. From there, Mega Sceptile can usually sweep with its STAB attacks, where the recovery from Giga Drain can help improve its sustainability and lets it setup more subs throughout the match. Paired with Tapu Lele and holy hell it can be quite devastating.

Here is a sample Webs HO team that I have been using it on:

Magearna @ Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Stored Power

and

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpA / 40 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Doom Desire
- Aura Sphere / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Magearna is easily one of the top threats in the Sketchmons metagame thanks to its Quiver Dance sets propelling it to be one of the most deadliest setup sweepers available. However, I was experimenting with the standard OU Shift Gear Z-Stone set and fell across of Stored Power. Initially I thought nothing much from it but then quickly came to realize how potent it can become as a coverage option when combining the stat boosts from Shift Gear and Soul-Heart. From here, Magearna actually has a chance at breaking through its checks in Unaware Clefable. Alternatively, I have also been using the standard Assault Vest set with Doom Desire set and it also has been putting in a lot of work due to it being a great check to common threats such as Tapu Lele and Porygon-Z (although watch out for Fire-type coverage from the former). I also been using physical Shift Gear sets with Play Rough for memes, its also p fun to use ;p

Zygarde @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 160 HP / 216 Atk / 28 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Acrobatics / Sacred Fire
- Dragon Dance
- Coil

Zygarde is already a premier threat in the OU metagame, and I really feel Sketchmons makes him even better as an offensive threat. While Choice Band sets are still usually always preferred, I have been utilizing a Double Dance set with Flying-type coverage (in this case Acrobatics) and it also has been putting in a ton of work for me due to the fact that Tangrowth is the one of the only consistent Zygarde checks in the metagame. Fire and Ice-type coverage can also be utilized as well of course, but the extra power that Acrobatics provides is really nice and helps deal with other checks such as Mega Heracross and Buzzhole much better as well.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Metal Sound
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Sleep Powder

This might look like a total meme set but it actually acts as a great way to break through more defensive teams. Through Magma Storm and Sleep Powder, Heatran is effectively able to abuse a pseudo "SleepTrapping" combination (which is otherwise banned standardly) and can weaken down bulky threats such as Chansey, Clefable, Zapdos, and even Tapu Fini with Metal Sound. Definitively a more CT orientated set, but nontheless one that can be effective given the proper matchup.

Thats all I have for now, but I am definitely enjoying Sketchmons much more as of late when I find games and encourage others to give it a try as well. Ban Webs and Porygon-Z tho.

^Gotta love Electrify Sceptile, it's great for stall. Here's another "stall-breaker" set for your consideration:

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Play Rough

Magic Guard allows for the almost unique combination of Belly Drum + LO; Fairy STAB is excellent spammable, with the main Fairy resists being hit hard by either Drain Punch (Heatran, does decent damage to Mawile) and Thunder Punch (Toxapex, Skarmory and Celesteela). Max Speed Jolly is there to ensure that you don't immediately die after Belly Drumming to something like Mega Mawile, but a bulkier spread with Max HP, and Sitrus/Lefties over LO is viable.

^Gotta love Electrify Sceptile, it's great for stall. Here's another "stall-breaker" set for your consideration:

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Play Rough

Magic Guard allows for the almost unique combination of Belly Drum + LO; Fairy STAB is excellent spammable, with the main Fairy resists being hit hard by either Drain Punch (Heatran, does decent damage to Mawile) and Thunder Punch (Toxapex, Skarmory and Celesteela). Max Speed Jolly is there to ensure that you don't immediately die after Belly Drumming to something like Mega Mawile, but a bulkier spread with Max HP, and Sitrus/Lefties over LO is viable.
I am not sure if you thought that belly drum with magic guard didnt do any damage to you, but if you did think that, just want to inform you that belly drum still does 50% damage to you. While belly drum can be very scary (hence the bd ban) I think it is rather wasted on clefable, because even with the gained play rough stab attack, clef lacks the speed to really be a potent sweeper, not does it have priority to make up for the lack of speed. Furthermore, without any bulk investment, it can die pretty easily as well. You could very well exchange play rough for perhaps espeed, but this is a complete waste as you could run snorlax instead which is just far better. I get that this is meant to be just a stallbreaking set, so you havent worried about lack of speed, but even then, I think snorlax just accomplishes that role far better. And tbh, literally every good stall team has an unaware mon which hardwalls this clef set due to clef's lack of high base attack: 252 Atk Life Orb Clefable Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 103-122 (26.1 - 30.9%) -- 7.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery; 252 Atk Life Orb Clefable Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 113-134 (28.6 - 34%) -- 98.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
We actually want to suspect Webs but since the meta is too dead to do suspect (nothing can be done about it), we did a council vote. As a result of the vote, Sticky Web is now banned from sketching.

Reasoning:
1. It pretty much invalidates revenge killing. Since so many mons in here that benefits from webs are very hard hitters and can wallbreak so easily, this is a very serious problem and need to be addressed.
2. It being slapped into any mon make it pretty much impossible to prevent due to being unpredictable.

Remember that you can still use Sticky Web through original user. This decision is made because we at least want to address one of the problems before the upcoming OMPL.

Tagging The Immortal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)