Project Ultra SM Break This Team - WK 48 SKEs tail glow manaphy Rain (Voting)

Approved by bludz
Hosted and Original idea by Creator of Chaos
Co-hosted by Random Passerby
Last gens thread here
Format Stolen from the Ubers version of the thread
Banner by BARABOY

Summary: With a new generation comes change. New teams and playstyles emerge that sweep aside the old order and where there was once stability there is now frustration and anarchy. Some teams will sweep aside all before them while other's wall us until we dredge up salt. Yet no team remains king of the meta forever. The nature of Pokemon makes it impossible to build a team without weakness or a form of counter-play thus making invincibility an illusion. Welcome to Sun Moon Break this team where we learn how a team works and break it.

The premise of this thread is to analyse popular teams and derive cores of viable Pokemon which excel when matching up to the team. Hopefully, this exercise helps you with your teambuilding process and analysis of Pokémon teams!

Procedure
  • Every Saturday a popular OU team will be posted either by myself, My co-host or someone I nominate if either of us aren't available.
  • Posting will last 4-5 days where you will have the chance to post a core or simply discuss the team at hand.
  • When the week is up, there will be a voting period of 1-2 days in which you decide ,which core "Breaks This Team", most effectively. Winner makes hall of fame
  • On a side note, please don’t be insulted if your nomination doesn’t make the OP. There will be many other opportunities. Also, a hall of fame will be created to reward users who consistently contribute good nominations.
Rules (Must read)
  • Reservations must be followed up within 12 hours. If not another user may take the core you reserved. Please do not make a habit out of not following up on your reservation.
  • Please post only Pokémon that are viable in OU. This means they should be listed on the Viability thread. NOTE: With this rule, I will more than willing to exercise leniency but dont take it for granted. If a pokemon backed up by an OU partner is genuinly threatening and a proper explanation is given I'll accept it. Trash like Arcanine + specs florges will get deleted as will cores who function as little more then memes.
  • Make sure the combination of Pokemon you've submitted, have viable sets and can also present itself as the backbone for a well-constructed team.
  • When posting a core, please explain yourself. Calculations and replays tho encouraged aren't necessary, but please have a coherent thought process or reasoning as to why you chose the core you did. Please also make sure to include a moveset and EV spread.
  • If you choose not to post a core but rather just discuss them team thats fine but make sure your points are well reasoned
  • Please be respectful of others
Final Notes:
  • If someone like Bludz, Gary or TDK come in here and rip your core to shred's that is your own fault. Just remember tho this thread is about learning so take what people say and better your skills :)
  • Please when posting cores also post images of the pokemon as well but dont use giagantic gifs either. Some of us travel alot and giagantic gifs make mobile web-browsers crash
Archive
Week 1 - Cores and Winner: Scarf Nihilego

Week 2 - Cores and Winner: dk

Week 3 - Cores and Winner:@Creator of Chaos

Week 4 - Cores and Winner: Expert_Occultist

Week 5 - Cores and Winner: Akumeoy

Week 6 - Cores and Winner: Aragorn the King

Week 7 - Cores and Winner: Magearna

Week 8 - Cores and Winner: Riddikulusness

Week 9 - Cores and Winner: Akumeoy

Week 10 - Cores and Winner: Indigo Plateau

Week 11 - Cores and Winner: Akumeoy and Vertex

Week 12 - Cores and Winner: Indigo Plateau

Week 13 - Cores and Winner: Ramses

Week 14 - Cores and Winner: Indigo Plateau

Week 15 - Cores and Winner: Indigo Plateau

Week 16 - Cores and Winner: ThiccTornadus

Week 17 - Mega Gallade Balance. Cores and Winner: AM

Week 18 - SD Kartana Hyper Offence Cores and Winner: Martin

Week 19 - Lucha Koko Offence: Cores and Winner: Akumeoy

Week 20 - Loppuny Spike Stack: Cores and Winner: dk

week 21 - Finch's Mega Latios Offence: Cores and Winner: @Volcanoheadproduction(yt)

week 22 - Kyurem/Koko Hyper Offence: Cores and Winner: LL

Week 23 - Darknium Hoopa Offence: Cores and Winner: Counting Sheep

Week 24 - Gliscor Stall: Cores and Winner: MultiAmmiratore

Week 25 - Sand Rush Offence: Cores and Winner: curiosity

Week 26 - Mega Gyarados Bulky offence: Cores and Winner: Flame from Heaven

Week 27 - Mega Mawile Balance: Cores and Winner: pooyou123456789q and mellowyellowhd

week 28 - Mega Latios/Ash Gren Offence: Cores and Winner: Poison Adhesive

Week 29 - Curiosities Balance: Cores and Winner MegaStarUniverse

Week 30 - Eternams Gliscor Balance : Cores and Winner Flame from Heaven

Week 31 - Steelium Tran Mega Zor Offence: Cores and Winner DKM

Week 32 - Megabro Bulky Offence: Cores and Winner Givrix

Week 33 - Reuniclus Offence: Cores and Winner Givrix

Week 34 - Blacephon Hyper Offence: Cores and Winner 1_TrickPhony

Week 35 - Mega Tyraniter Bulky Offence_ : Cores and Winner Akumeoy

Week 36 - Mega Aggron Stall: Cores and Winner Mellow

Week 37 - Creator of Chaos Mega Lopunny Goon Squad: Cores and Winner Finchinator

Week 38 - Zygarde Bulky Offence: Cores and Winner Jordy

Week 39 - Mega Zam + Balance: Cores and Winner Egor

Week 40 - Curiosities Bulu Tran Offence: Cores and Winner Finchinator Slave Of Passion

Week 41 - Mawile Bulky Offence: Cores and Winner: Mannat (Formerlly LL)

Week 42 - Koomo - O offence: Cores and Winner: Mannat

week 43 - Zapdos/Mega Sab Stall: Cores and Winner: JTD783

Week 44 - Standard Rain: Cores and Winner: Mannat

Week 45 - Volt Switch: Cores and Winner: Jordy

Week 46 - Charmflash's Semi Stall: Cores and Winner: Mannat

Week 47 - Avalugg Stall: Cores and Winner: Lando-San

Week 48 - Manaphy Rain: Cores and winner:

Hall of Fame (3 or more Archive entries):

Akumeoy 5 Archive Entries
Mannat 5 Archive Entires
Indigo Plateau 4 Archive Entires

Total Archive Tally
5 - Akumeoy, Mannat
4 - Indigo Plateau
3 -
2 - DK, Flame from Heaven, Givrex, MellowyellowHD, Counting Sheep, Finchinator, Jordy
1 - AM, Aragorn the King, Martin, Curiosity, MultiAmmiratore, , pooyou123456789q, Creator of Chaos, Riddikulusness, Scarf Nihilego, Expert_Occultist, Vertex, Ramses, Poison Adhesive, Mega Star Universe, DKM, 1_TrickPhony, Egor, Slave of Passion, JTD783, Lando San, Veez.

Current Team: Curiosities Bulu Offence

Last edited:
Welcome to week 1 of break this team and contrary to all popular belief I am not only alive but presenting this thread once again. Sumo is now settling down so its a good time to open the thread. This week we will be breaking a team Built by bludz thats centered around Zygarde and Shift Gear Magearna.

Bludz Zygarde + Magerna Bulky offence

Zygarde @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute
- Extreme Speed

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shift Gear

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rock Slide

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Explanation:
Not really a fan of LO Zygarde 'cuz it really appreciates using its bulk to set up so I went with a weird tech in Sub Aguav Berry. Sub is really cool just for dodging random status moves and setting up on Toxapex and whatnot. It's cool too cuz after a DD you can Sub to intentionally proc your berry and get back a lot of HP. Functions kinda similar to Sitrus Zygarde although it's not double dance. For Magearna I really like the boltbeam + Fight Z set because I feel like it hits a ton of the metagame hard and nails a lot of its natural checks like Ferrothorn, Heatran, Magnezone, and so forth. After that I added Phys Def Tangrowth to handle Mega Metagross primarily but it also helps with mons like Garchomp and Zygarde. I have Rock Slide to prevent Zard Y or Volcarona from getting free switchins cuz those are threats man. Next up Scarf Keldeo was needed as a real Greninja check since Tang isn't AV, plus a general speedy revenge killer for stuff like +1 Volcarona. Afterwards I wanted an offensive rocker that applies pressure to defensive builds off the bat since the other mons are setup sweepers not really breakers. SD Lando-T fit the bill, and I ran with Earth Plate since Magearna is the Z move user. Earthplate lando stops Unaware clef setting up on it. Specs Mag covers a weakness to Tapu Koko and helps get rid of Celesteela which is a massive bitch for the team. Honestly it's Specs just cuz I wanted another hard hitter and also because I really wanted to kill Steela lol.

Anyway I wish you all the best of luck, Please follow the rules of the thread and if you have any questions please message me or my co-host. You may all now post

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Reserving Medicham+Tangrowth

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Well this isn't exactly what you would call a core but rather 2 mons that do extremely well together vs this team and can belong to the same archetype (Bulky Offense) so I hope it still counts. This team is extremely weak to Medicham and between Ice Punch and High Jump Kick it can easily beat 5/6 mons. Keldeo will always be there to revenge it (or at least try) so Tangrowth acts as a reliable answer to it with the added bonus of stopping Zygarde after a Dragon Dance, Landorus-T after an SD and beating Helmet Tang 1v1 which is the only mon that can take a hit from it. The description is kinda short but this team just isn't prepared for Medicham (I believe it was built before Medichamite was released) so it pretty much autowins against this

Last edited:

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

Was gonna use Medicham but it's already been done so I went with the next best thing. Just looking at the team it's pretty clear nothing switches into Mamoswine's STABs well at all and only Landorus-T and Keldeo outspeed it. Landorus-T obviously gets rekt by Ice Shard and Keldeo can't switch into EQ so really all you need is something to pressure Keldeo that does okay vs the rest of the team, so I went with Tapu Fini since Mamoswine is weak to Rocks and hates status, and Tapu Fini just generally weakens everything with Nature's Madness to put Mamoswine's checks into KO range

worth noting that Ice Shard lets you revenge kill Zygarde and Landorus-T so you don't need a dedicated stop to those (or you can stack a defensive answer just for good measure I guess)

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn/Ice Beam

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power

Fairly standard core here, but highly effective against the team at hand. The team's only way of switching into specs ninja is with Keldeo, who is also the team's main switch in to Heatran, besides Zygarde. Thanks to Bloom Doom, Team can comfortably bait in Keldeo, allowing Greninja free rain on the team. Similarly, HP Ice on Tran baits in Zygarde, especially as nothing else wants to switch into it after Keldeo is gone.

Greninja's last move is customisable, while Ice Beam+Hydro Pump destroys this team, the momentum gained through U-turning is generally a better option for other matchups. But having Water shuriken means Landorus will never get out of control.

If Zygarde/Magearna set up, it could be problematic, but ideally they'll be so pressured that it won't happen. Obviously Magnezone + Tangrowth are comfortably beaten by Heatran. Pairing this core with scarf chomp would probably be your best bet for an almost guaranteed win

Last edited:
/

Volcarona (F) @ Charti Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Quiver Dance

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Extrasensory

After set-up, the team's main aim to check +1 Volcarona is using Stone Edge Keldeo to revenge kill. This is where Charti Berry comes in. Volc can set up on Magearna or Magnezone locked into Flash Cannon and then proceed to do heavy damage to the team. HP Ice is so that it can dismantles Zygarde as it is a guaranteed KO after one boost, and e-speed + stone edge doesn't kill volc.

Paired with this is AOA Protean Greninja, which also heavily pressures the team. An aggressive play such as going for Extrasensory on a predicted Keldeo switch-in can make Volc's life a lot easier, not to mention a well played Gren pressures the team so that hazards can't go up. Expert Belt is a potential item to increase Gren's longevity against fatter builds, but it misses out on the guaranteed Keldeo KO after rocks (and in general lacks power).

This gren set can help out HP Ice Volc in other matchups as well as this particular set is walled by tran and toxapex. Apart from these two members, the team greatly appreciates hazard removal for Volc's 4x rocks weakness.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

As mentioned in the team explanation Charizard-Y is a huge threat. It blasts through the steels and Tangrowth, and with HP Ice it makes short work of Zygarde and Landorus-T. Running Charizard-Y with HP Ice is useful in general as it allows it to beat Zygarde and KO Landorus-T/Garchomp more consistently in exchange for being easily walled by Heatran and Tyranitar. In this particular matchup, the only thing stopping Charizard once it comes in is Keldeo, as it can out-speed and OHKO all other members (Zygarde needs minor prior damage). This makes Tapu Fini a great partner as it can come in on Keldeo easily. It also provides the necessary defog support for Charizard-Y and helps with the stall match up.

Both sets in this core are fairly standard. Pairing this core with something that can give Charizard free switch-ins (Landorus-T w/ U-Turn for example) makes the match-up against this core seem particularly overwhelming. Charizard and the right Volcarina set I feel are definitely two of the biggest threats to this team.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 148 HP / 4 SpD Zygarde: 316-376 (80.2 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 368-436 (115.3 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Keldeo can only directly switch-in a limited number of times:

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo in Sun: 171-202 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 42-49 (13 - 15.1%) -- possible 7HKO

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 332-392 (102.7 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Rather Obvious:

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna in Sun: 558-656 (185.3 - 217.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 48 SpD Tangrowth in Sun: 1002-1178 (248.6 - 292.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone in Sun: 686-810 (227.9 - 269.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Choicespecs.png

Specs Keldeo + Flyinium Z Landorus-T

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Rock Polish

This team's Water resists are Physically Defensive Tangrowth, so legitimately everything is easily 2HKO'd by Choice Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump. It gets many opportunities to spam the move, such as when given a free switch into Landorus-T, Zygarde or a Magnezone locked into Flash Cannon or Hidden Power Fire. While I agree Stealth Rock + SD Landorus-T with Rockium is the best set in this metagame because it is one of the only reliable ways to pressure stall, this particular team's Ground check both lose to Flyinium Z variants. It can set up on a Magnezone locked into Thunderbolt, Keldeo locked into Secret Sword, Landorus-T which has used its Z-move, and unboosted Zygarde and easily sweep. Rockium is another option because Specs Keldeo puts so much pressure on Tangrowth. Overall, Specs Keldeo's breaking potential and Landorus-T's sweeping potential vs. this team are very great.

Last edited:
Only 1 day left before I open up voting so if your going to post a core do so soon.

On that Note Reserving Clefable + Tangrowth. will post Tonight.

+

Sets
Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave / Flamethrower / Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earthquake

Explanation:
Remember this pink blob from ORAS? Well shes coming back so you all better be ready. Anyway I know this team was made back when Metagross and Pheromosa were everywhere but seriously clefable alone switchs in and sets up on 4 members of this team. Zygarde, Magerna and Tangrowth do literally nothing to prevent clefable calm minding and Keldeo needs to get lucky with Hydro pump and already be in to have a chance. This basically leave's Magnezone whose exploitable and Landorous who can be worn down as answers. Tangrowth Comes in Both and Kills landorous with HP ice and Magnezone with earthquake or can knock off expected switch ins. It also force's Zygarde to use Outrage on it if it successfully Dragon dance's acting as a back up for clef.

Clef and Tangrowth together can be used as a backbone for balance (Watch out for greninja) or even Bulky offence. Clefable has improved recently and tangrowth is as good as ever and it helps clef with some steels that otherwise trouble it

Some Calcs
252+ Atk Life Orb Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Clefable: 160-188 (40.6 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Clefable: 186-220 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 23.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery - Basically needs to already be in and get perfect rolls

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 156-184 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO - lol.

Last edited:

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

While looking at the team, I found it pretty weak to Hazards, particularly Spikes since all the team is grounded, and it really relies on Tangrowth, and, to a lesser extent Zygarde to take hits, and they both don't like being worn downby them. Greninja is really threatening 'mon which has the necessary coverage to hit the entire team, and it has Spikes to wear down the team. With Extrasensory, it can punish a Keldeo switch. Hydro Pump is enough strong to 2HKO Magearna and Magnezone. Tangrowth can take any hit from any 'mon in this team and serves as a pivot for Greninja and forces switches, making Spikes more useful. Spikes also help it to 2HKO Magearna with Earthquake.

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 175-208 (58.1 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 218-257 (72.4 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Magearna Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 142-168 (35.1 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 128-152 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

EDIT : After changing my mind, I changed Magearna to Tangrowth

Last edited:
Most of the obvious ones like Clefable and Volcarona is taken so Double Dragon it is.

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Stealth Rock

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic / Iron Tail

Garchomp is extremely threatening to this team as it outspeeds virtually all members of the team and has enough power to break the Tangrowth + Landorus-T defensive core with a boosted Devastating Drake. Banded Zygarde, in particular, enjoys Garchomp luring and eliminating Tangrowth or Landorus-T so that it can spam Thousand Arrows. Since Keldeo is the only Pokemon standing in the way of a Zygarde / Garchomp sweep and it doesn't OHKO either of them, one of them can heavily dent it for the other member to clean up. Be careful of a Magearna or Zygarde reverse sweep if you use this though. This core can also be used in Offensive teams as well as they share similar checks, which can be worn down or lured.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread this week. Its great to be back doing this thread and I appreciate all your contributions. I'm pleased to announce that the First winner of the SM Break this team is Scarf Nihilego with his Mamoswine + Tapu fini core. Also thank you bludz for providing the team

Anyway This weeks team which Im sure you are all familar with is taken from the OU sample thread and despite the release of numourous powerful megas it still continues to infuriate players everywhere. Im talking cancerous SPL stall and I hope for the love of all thats human we find a way to break it.

Sets
Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
IVs: 28 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Toxic
- Pursuit

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Defog
- Roost
- Counter

Sableye-Mega (F) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off

Toxapex (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze

Explanation:
We should all be famialiar with this team so I'll keep it short. This team is designed to wall the bulk of the metagame in as few slots as possible and take anything it cant with dugtrio. Once all is said and done with the notable expection of togekiss in the hands of a good player this team will at the very least drag out a game. Sableye and Skarmory form the basis of the team keeping hazards clear for Dugtrio who traps threats to the rest of the team. Toxapex walls Fairies and Manaphy that in Oras would have otherwised used the team to set up freely as well as stoping set up sweepers with Haze. Clef acts as an emergency check against weaker set up mons who get to far out of control while chansey sets up rocks and walls most special attacker's.

Straight foward and its easy to see why this team has been such a headache for teambuilders. Now no team is flawless and its issues with the likes of Certain fairies such as rocks Clefable, Togekiss, Tapu lele, Z move users like lando and Gengar as well as megas like Heracross are well known. But even these cant solo the team often need to work in unison with other support.

Anyway I wish you all the best of luck, Please follow the rules of the thread and if you have any questions please message me or my co-host. You may all now post

Scribble

formerly Dartrix - Joker
is a Contributor to Smogon
Reserving Mega Mawile + Lando-T
+

Mawile-Mega (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

This stall archetype absolutely hates offensive rocks Lando-T, since after an SD, Mega Sableye is no longer a switch in. It can get up rocks vs stall fairly easily, and is pretty damn splashable, since it is Lando-T. It's capable of blowing past Skarmory if rocks are up, or if you catch them with a Stone Edge and they don't Counter. After that, it can run through the team bar Clefable if it's healthy enough. Earth Plate can be run on Lando-T if your Z move slot is already taken, but the Skarmory matchup gets shakier. The main goal of Lando-T in this core is to get up Stealth Rock. After rocks are up, Dugtrio's Sash and Skarmory's Sturdy are broken, which means they can no longer revenge kill Mega Mawile reliably. Mega Mawile can set up an SD against Clefable or Chansey, or on the switch as Mega Sableye is scared out. Dugtrio would have to win Sucker Punch mind games in order to stop it. But, in most cases, Dugtrio loses, and the team is swept or heavily dented by Mawile from there. The Speed on Mawile creeps the creeping Skarmory, but you can always just run max speed if you don't know how high the Skarmory is speed creeping. Thunder Punch blows past Skarmory and Toxapex after an SD, Sucker Punch kills Dugtrio, and Play Rough dismantles the rest. Overall, this core has low cost in running it (really the only cost is the mega slot is taken up, but Mega Metagross isn't a thing so Mawile is probably one of if not the best mega right now anyway) and high efficiency at breaking this type of stall while also still being effective vs other teams.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Reserving dug+zard y
Ok I swear I didn't forget about this one too

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Groundium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Screech
- Substitute
- Reversal

Pretty straight-forward core here, Charizard-Y is an absurd wallbreaker that beats 4/6 mons found on that Stall. However, it's easily walled by Chansey and Toxapex just sits vs it too, both of which are effortlessly trapped by Dugtrio. With its Groundium-Z set it doesn't have to risk Scald burns vs Toxapex and it's even better now that it runs more Spdef because it need less chip to OHKO it with Tectonic Rage and if Stealth Rock ever goes up it's a guaranteed OHKO. Screech and Reversal lets it beat Chansey even if they run Toxic.

Last edited:
I mean 90% of the best stallbreaking cores have Lando / MMawile / Dugtrio / Alolan Marowak so...not much room for creativity here

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Poison Jab
- Baton Pass

Espeon @ Kee Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Morning Sun
- Dazzling Gleam

Fight cancer with cancer. I don't think I need to explain how BP functions since everyone hates it by now, but Espeon is probably the best anti-stall insurance you can have on that archetype because Stored Power blasts through literally everything after enough Calm Minds. Scolipede only needs to pass 1 boost to outspeed Dugtrio (the 32 Speed EVs on Espeon out speed Tapu Koko at +1) though having more will buff Stored Power. Defensive EVs + Kee Berry allows you to boost with a little more freedom without having to click your shitty 8 PP Morning Sun every other turn. Dazzling Gleam hits Mega Sableye and Dark types in general. Pretty simplistic core. I haven't seen a whole lot of Espeon on BP which is a shame; I think it's still pretty damn good at what it's always done.

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
+

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

This Tapu Bulu set can give a lot of trouble against stall, being able to set-up a Substitute/SD on some forced switches or pokemons that can't do much back against it, like M-Sableye and Chansey.

Toxapex can't really wall it because if it switches in on a SD, it dies to a Bloom Doom, and even if Bloom Doom was already used, it is still forced to haze and switch/die on the next turn.

Clefable can tank a boosted Horn Leech because of Unaware, and try to stall terrain with Wish + Protect but it dies to a Bloom Doom at +0.

Skarmory in theory wall Tapu Bulu, but with the lack of Whirlwind on Skarmory, it can actually set-up a Sub and SD until +6 and kill it. Although Skarmory carries Counter, it will only break the Bulu's substitute after the first Superpower, and can kill it with a second Superpower.

Tapu Bulu has a big advantage over others stallbreakers because it Dugtrio can't do much to it and isn't Pursuit weak like Marowak-A

The only problem that keeps it from 6-0 this team right of the bat, is that Terrain only lasts 5 turns, so play Tapu Bulu carefully.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Knock Off

LO Taunt Tornadus-T can be a huge pain for this team because of it's combination of a strong STAB in Hurricane, Taunt to shut down their recovery options, Knock Off to make Chansey think twice about if it wants to lose its Eviolite and U-Turn to bring Tapu Bulu in safely. it can beat most of the pokemons on that team 1v1.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)