Resource SM Creative + Underrated Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by Celticpride + bludz
banner by dk

Welcome to Creative + Underrated Sets, Sun / Moon edition!

Standard sets are, well, standard for a reason. They're reliable and effective at what they do. On the other hand, something a little less conventional can have an edge as well, either through taking advantage of common metagame trends, being unprepared for, or just surprise factor.

Before hitting that post button, please read through the rules:
  • Your set should be creative or highlight an underused aspect of a Pokemon in some way. Creative sets use moves, abilities, and techniques that are different from the norm, while underrated sets are typically Pokemon that see low usage despite being strong in the current meta.
  • Include a replay with your submission, in which you should be able to showcase the set against a competent opponent. This is not a thread for theorymon or low ladder crushers. If you can't beat a coherent player with your set, chances are it isn't good.
  • Your set should not be outclassed by another Pokemon. A lot of people like to use subpar mons in order to distinguish themselves from other players, but there's no good reason to actually run these things. This includes Pokemon that have distinguishing traits on paper but struggle to actually function in the tier. Shoutouts to Donphan.
  • Have a reason for running something unique, and be sure to explain what that reason is and why its worth running. Being a grass-type wallbreaker isn't a good argument to why you should try Pokemon X. Instead, elaborate more on what said grass-typing allows Pokemon X to do, such as beat Quagsire.
Submissions that do not follow these rules will not be eligible for the archive and may be deleted. This applies to everyone. Descriptions don't need to be long, but seeing as this thread's purpose is to be a resource it should at least cover the basics.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Here's something I see no one else use

name: Defiant Wallbreaker
move 1: Fly
move 2: Wild Charge
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Grass Knot / Taunt
item: Flyinium Z
ability: Defiant
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA

This set is an extremely effective wallbreaker, that doesn't suffer from a poor speed tier as Pokemon like Kyurem-B and Hoopa-U do. What makes it so effective is that simply put, nothing can switch into it when its at +2. Unlike Bisharp who has defensive counters, even when it achieves +2 attack, there is literally no answer to this Pokemon. Unaware users are destroyed, all walls fall to it, if you correctly use your Z crystal.
The only real problem for this Pokemon is Physically defensive Zapdos, who despite giving Thundurus +2 with Defog, can spam Roost until Thundurus KOs itself with Wild Charge recoil. Note that this can be beaten with Taunt, if you want to forfeit the clean OHKO on Quagsire.

Now you may be thinking that this set completely relies on actually achieving +2 Attack, and thus is too situational. Well, I've found that this is just not difficult at all, as long as you have adequate hazard users. Spikes Greninja and Focus Sash Garchomp for example are great. Spikes Greninja being able to 2HKO Mega Sableye, can immensely pressure stall teams, and force them to let you use Spikes. This in turn will then either give you the opportunity to achieve a Defiant boost and break their defenses, or let you win through Spikes damage. Against more offensive teams, Focus Sash Garchomp's fearlessness lets you control hazards brilliantly. Against Latios, the Sash will be sufficient for keeping rocks on the field, against the very common Tapu Fini switch in, a clean Defiant boost for Thundurus is all but guaranteed which will 100% of the time result in serious damage sustained by the opponent.

Even without the Defiant boost, a good Speed tier and Supersonic Skystrike's pure power renders Thundurus a solid attacker. While no means Tapu Koko or Mega Alakazam, it puts in some work and provides great utility.

Use this Pokemon alongside sufficient entry hazard users and you'll be able to dominate defensive and balanced teams alike, while still enjoying Thundurus' generally good attributes for fighting offensive teams.

Here are a couple replays of the set performing quite well, even in cases where it doesn't get an immediate boost and faces Pokemon that check it well.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankoususpecttest-512594810
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankoususpecttest-513260893

Here's a set I've just started using after starting to get tired of a lot of the fast craziness on the tier currently (Mega Metagross, Tapu Koko, Pheromosa, Scarf Lele, +1 Quiver Dance Volcarona, +1 Zard-X, etc., etc.):

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace / Final Gambit
- Final Gambit / Memento

While the classic Sash trapper Dugtrio is all well and good, keeping that sash preserved takes reliable Defog support, which depending on the opposing team can be tricky to setup. Scarf Dugtrio requires no such support, and while it only really excels as a revenge killer (due to Arena Trap) and a late game cleaner, it does a reasonable job of it so long as you don't expect it to take a hit.

Adamant is chosen over Jolly as it speed ties with scarfed or +1 252+ base 105s, which as the the main threats Dugtrio is designed to take on are +1 base 100s and fast non-Scarfs like Pheromosa I think is just fine. Earthquake is the obligatory STAB, nailing Heatran and Koko, OHKOing Zard-X after rocks and putting a huge dent in bulkier threats like Metagross. Rockslide is really only there to take out Volcarona and Zard-Ys who stay in, which is why it's favoured over Stone Edge to give you a greater chance of hitting. Aerial Ace can be used in the third slot to OHKO Pheromosa or 2HKO non-bulky Buzzwole.

Final Gambit may seem like a very weird move to have on a mon with very low health, but when you remember it subtracts your raw HP number off the enemy's HP without looking at defences then you're taking 50% off anything 252 invested with base 109 HP at full Dugtrio HP as well as it remaining respectable even after a few rounds of SR damage. Memento is there as a last ditch nerf to the enemy, which can be situationally more useful to buy you a turn rather than going for damage or a KO with Final Gambit/an attacking move. If Aerial Ace isn't required (it's only really going to get Pheromosa), then I strongly recommend the Final Gambit and Memento combo. Sucker Punch is a little pointless given how fast you are already.

Here's some calcs:
252+ Atk Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 516-608 (182.3 - 214.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 342-404 (121.7 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 272-324 (91.5 - 109%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 210-248 (69.7 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 190-225 (67.6 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 568-672 (175.8 - 208%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 428-504 (137.6 - 162%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 368-436 (123.9 - 146.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 266-314 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 266-314 (73 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 452-534 (106.6 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I did have a replay when I started writing this (trapping a weakened Metagross and Final Gambiting on Buzzwole later in the match for 50% HP), but I forgot to paste it anywhere, got something else in my clipboard and now the room has expired. I'll edit one in when I get a decent replay, but suffice to say I think it's pretty obvious what the set is doing.

EDIT: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7pokebankou-234706 - Replay by Sweepage courtesy of Tressed as I'm too much of a bum to get another replay myself - thanks you two! Trapping of Volcarona at the +1 with a Stone Edge OHKO.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Here's a set I've just started using after starting to get tired of a lot of the fast craziness on the tier currently (Mega Metagross, Tapu Koko, Pheromosa, Scarf Lele, +1 Quiver Dance Volcarona, +1 Zard-X, etc., etc.):

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace / Final Gambit
- Final Gambit / Memento

While the classic Sash trapper Dugtrio is all well and good, keeping that sash preserved takes reliable Defog support, which depending on the opposing team can be tricky to setup. Scarf Dugtrio requires no such support, and while it only really excels as a revenge killer (due to Arena Trap) and a late game cleaner, it does a reasonable job of it so long as you don't expect it to take a hit.

Adamant is chosen over Jolly as it speed ties with scarfed or +1 252+ base 105s, which as the the main threats Dugtrio is designed to take on are +1 base 100s and fast non-Scarfs like Pheromosa I think is just fine. Earthquake is the obligatory STAB, nailing Heatran and Koko, OHKOing Zard-X after rocks and putting a huge dent in bulkier threats like Metagross. Rockslide is really only there to take out Volcarona and Zard-Ys who stay in, which is why it's favoured over Stone Edge to give you a greater chance of hitting. Aerial Ace can be used in the third slot to OHKO Pheromosa - Buzzwole is too bulky to even net anything but a 3HKO, so don't try it.

Final Gambit may seem like a very weird move to have on a mon with very low health, but when you remember it subtracts your raw HP number off the enemy's HP without looking at defences then you're taking 50% off anything 252 invested with base 109 HP at full HP as well as it remaining respectable even after a few rounds of SR damage. Memento is there as a last ditch nerf to the enemy, which can be situationally more useful to buy you a turn rather than going for damage or a KO with Final Gambit/attacking move. If Aerial Ace isn't required (it's only really going to get Pheromosa), then I strongly recommend the Final Gambit and Memento combo. Sucker Punch is a little pointless given how fast you are already.

Here's some calcs:
252+ Atk Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 516-608 (182.3 - 214.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 342-404 (121.7 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 272-324 (91.5 - 109%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 210-248 (69.7 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 190-225 (67.6 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 568-672 (175.8 - 208%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 428-504 (137.6 - 162%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 368-436 (123.9 - 146.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 266-314 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 266-314 (73 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 452-534 (106.6 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I did have a replay when I started writing this (trapping a weakened Metagross and Final Gambiting on Buzzwole later in the match for 50% HP), but I forgot to paste it anywhere, got something else in my clipboard and now the room has expired. I'll edit one in when I get a decent replay, but suffice to say I think it's pretty obvious what the set is doing.
Yo, I think Scarf Duggy is cool and have used it early SM when everyone was spamming pheromosa, but I just don't get the point of Final Gambit. Duggy has literally the lowest hp stat out of all fully evolved mons iirc so you're giving up a full health duggy (assuming you're at full) just to deal 211 damage. You say you used it against a Buzzwole but why not just AA for more damage? I don't see any scenario where dealing 211 hp max is worth it.

Yo, I think Scarf Duggy is cool and have used it early SM when everyone was spamming pheromosa, but I just don't get the point of Final Gambit. Duggy has literally the lowest hp stat out of all fully evolved mons iirc so you're giving up a full health duggy (assuming you're at full) just to deal 211 damage. You say you used it against a Buzzwole but why not just AA for more damage? I don't see any scenario where dealing 211 hp max is worth it.
That was on a previous set with Memento and Final Gambit, not Ace. If you look at the set, the main slashes are Aerial Ace with Final Gambit. You're not going to be 2HKOing anything with Dugtrio, as you can't take a hit and mons in general can't switch into you - making Aerial Ace only really for Pheromosa. However, to compare the two against Buzzwole just to get a feel for it:

If you're looking at 252 HP 4 Def Buzzwole than Aerial Ace does:

252+ Atk Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Buzzwole: 180-216 (43 - 51.6%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO

Contrasting, at full HP you have 211. 211/418 (Buzzwole's HP) = 50.5%, after one round of SR it's 47.1 %. Final Gambit is therefore a very consistent option.

Considering you take only 6.25% of your health from SR, and you're blazingly fast, Final Gambit gives an option to do usually 50% or greater to anything that you can't reliably trap (except fatmons like Chansey). As mentioned whether you want to use it with Aerial Ace or Memento is up to you, I think Final Gambit is better than Memento as it'll do 60%-ish against most threats so I would always use it on the set.

Last edited:
Grass / Poison is such an awesome typing in this current Metagame. I chose Roserade on a whim and its done surprisingly well. Here's a set that has worked out well for me so far:

Roserade Offensive Spikes @ Black Sludge
252 Sp. Atk / 252+ Speed Timid / Natural Cure
----------
Giga Drain
Sludge Bomb
Spikes
Sleep Powder

Roserade's bulk is not quite as good as you'd like... but its enough to just check three of the relevant Tapus, and provide an "interesting" option vs Lele.

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roserade: 110-131 (42.4 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 156-184 (60.2 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
0 SpA Tapu Fini Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roserade: 39-47 (15 - 18.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roserade: 111-131 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 600-708 (174.4 - 205.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 362-428 (128.8 - 152.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Roserade Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 192-228 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 254-302 (90.3 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

---------

I had a game last night where I managed to nab the Sludge-Bomb KO vs Tapu Lele (worn down by Spikes Damage), as the opponent used Moonblast (probably expecting me to switch to my Dark-type). Although Lele has the advantage, Roserade's Sludge Bomb threat vs Lele gives the opponent little room for error.

Roserade's Natural Cure provides it the ability to safely switch into most sponges, and Spikes give you multiple turns of setup for your team. Passive opponents, like Toxapex or Tapu Fini, are the ideal switch in. You can Natural-cure any Scald burns while being immune to Toxic. If they stay in, you've got lots of Spikes to deploy (in Fini's case, Giga-Drain destroys it and recovers any "Nature's Madness" damage. So its probably switching out). Giga-Drain is the secret to Roserade's longevity in these situations.

Basically, you've got a Spikes deployer who straight up destroys the #1 Defogger in the game right now: Tapu Fini. You'll find plenty of opportunities to pivot vs three of the four Tapus as well... but Roserade really isn't a good defensive pokemon and doesn't like the repeated hits.

------------

An example of "Switch in on Passive Mon" is turn 7 through 9 here:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-517113054

Its a bit boring, my opponent blunders on the first turn, and seems to be a fan of RU pokemon like Tsareena... but those issues aside Turn7 through Turn9 demonstrates the precise niche to use Roserade. As soon as a Passive-mon (in this case: Celesteela) switches in, I'm guaranteed to get my spikes off.

Roserade's purpose in the rest of the match would have been limited (Check Tsarenna? I guess?), so I was willing to play it aggressively as a suicide-spiker at this point. But the ideal case happened: I predict the Leech Seed, Roserade hits with Sleep Powder... getting two layers of Spikes off... and I have a clean pivot into my Wallbreaker: Specs Primarina. Too bad about the miss-hax, but I managed to make due afterwards.

Celesteela, Toxapex, Chansey... there's a lot of passive opponents where you can switch-in Roserade and are guaranteed to be able to lay at least one layer of spikes. With good play and prediction, you might be able to get to two or even three layers. In general, aim for the long-game. Unlike Stealth Rocks users... you can repeatedly re-enter the battlefield and grow your spikes throughout the match whenever the passive-mon re-enters the field.

Roserade plays weaker against more offensive teams where 90-base speed just doesn't really cut it. But it still holds enough advantages over common offensive `mon (like Tapu Koko) that it isn't entirely dead weight vs heavy offense.

---------

Before running Roserade, be sure to check out:

* Greninja -- Another offensive Spiker
* Mega-Venu -- Pulls off the Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb set with far more bulk.
* Amoonguss -- Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / Spore without taking up your Mega Slot + Regenerator
* Ferrothorn -- Spikes / Stealth Rocks and much more bulk

Roserade's niche is Spikes, 90 Speed (fast for a grass type), and Grass/Poison typing. Greninja really should be your first pick but Water/Dark plays grossly differently than Grass/Poison.

Vs the other Grass/Poison types, Roserade easily outruns Tapu Bulu... so it avoids the threatening Zen Headbutt, which Amoonguss can't avoid. Mega-Venu is slow enough that it has speed-creep issues vs Tapu Bulu. Also, Spikes. So you actually have something to do against the common Toxapex / other passive-mon sponges.

Ferrothorn is probably the closest "standard" Pokemon to Roserade's niche (deploy Spikes while killing Fini), but it doesn't have Sleep Powder or Sludge Bomb to threaten the opponent. Ferrothorn has raw defensive stats where it counts of course, but the Poison Typing of Roserade as well as the 90 speed (outrunning Fini, Celesteela, Toxapex, Tapu Bulu, Tyranitar, Marowak-A, Gyarados) gives Roserade a bit of cleaning power and more "momentum" than Ferrothorn.

Case in point: Roserade can stay in on Heatran and use Sleep Powder. Roserade is no speed demon, but its enough speed to be useful.

Last edited:
I take my time to get a sprite to get some attention so you'd better read this long post.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SDef

Bold Nature

-Scald

-Psyshock

-Slack Off

-Calm Mind

‘What the hell!? This is standard mega bro. In what world is this creative?’

The creative part about this thing is that you can run this set alongside another mega like scizor or charizard! While it’s true that two pokemon cannot mega evolve in a battle, there’s no rule that two pokemon cannot hold mega stone in a battle. When in a pinch against a dangerous physical attacker than can muscle past bro like a boosted groundium z chomp, u can just mega evolve and stop the beast right in it’s tracks. Same goes for boosted landorus-t, bulky buzzwole, pheromosa( needs smart playing), mega garchomp, outrage zard x ( or just dd zard x in general since this thing cannot be stopped without thunder wave),boosted driller, boosted azumarilll, boosted mega pinisir , rockium z terrakion , bisharp , flynium z dragons and even sd mega scizor if u get lucky with the burn. There’s still some left but I can’t remember all of them. This does mean that u can’t mega evolve another mon but it’s to be used when (1) the mega has a terrible matchup against the opposing team (2) the mega somehow dies before mega evolving (3) Mega bro’s immense physical bulk is needed (4) the opposing team is mega bro weak. Some mons like scizor and gyarados can evolve work without their mega evolutions as they can serve as a check to some common stuff like tapu koko and mega gross or non hp electric pheromosa and buzzwole respectively.

Well, being an emergency button against physical attackers is not all that slowbronite can do! U can also CM Sweep against teams that are mega bro weak. And even in SM, there’s still a lot of mega bro weak teams! If u’re using something like scizor along it, u won’t even have a dead fodder in that match up!

(Mega Medicham, mega mawile , mega lop and sharpen mega diancie also exist so this will be come even better after the release of mega stones. Cham and mawile are especially important since standard bro is a shaky check to them, especially in the latter’s case.

Unfortunately, there are two disadvantages of using slowbronite on bro. U can no longer run thunder wave and leftovers. Loss of t-wave is rather minor since calm mind is superior than t-wave on the standard set and t-wave’s main target zard x loses to mega bro. While mega bro does lose leftovers in it’s standard form, it already has regen and slack off so it will be fine in matchups it can’t mega evolve. Mega stones actually prevent trick and knock off as well so it’s not like u’re running without item ! It can actually 1v1 weav with my experience.

In ORAS and SM UU, it will be even better with so many good knock off mons and trick. ORAS OU especially is favourable for this guy. This is just an idea so don’t criticize me too much for it. Imo, unless you feel the need of leftovers on a mon that has regenerator and slack off, having a potential emergency button and a threat that can 6-0 certain match ups is more useful. Everyone knows how broken sd fly lando-t is.

PS: DO NOT MEGA EVOLVE SLOWBRO IN ALL MATCH UPS . This is one of my mistakes whenever I use this set (i'm rly reckless) . In 10 match ups, u will only have to mega evolve like 2 times. Keep in mind that your mega mon will become completely useless when slowbro mega evolve (like charizard and to an extent metagross) or become significantly less useful (scizor , gyarados ) Don’t get cocky just cuz you have something with 180 Def.

I think my replays of playing with this set is not necessary since everyone knows how this set works. My replays will just be a standard mega bro team since the other potential mega mon can’t mega evolve in that match up. Rather, I’ll showcase some replays in which some top players will succeed if they had run slowbronite.

It seems i can't even find a replay where slowbro loses lel. I'll try to grab some later;i don't have much time:(. It'd be fantastic if someone tells me where i can get them.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Since cat's out of the bag now with Axel10's amazing win in SPL:

Scolipede @ Waterium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Tail
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab

Don't wanna put my claim in this set because apparently half the SPL teams came up with it independently (Raiders, Ruiners, Falcons, Wolfpack and us Scooters from what I've heard), but this thing's mad scary. You get a ton of basically free setup opportunities between stuff like Tapu Fini/choice locked Lele/Tapu Bulu/Pheromosa/defensive Landorus itself, and this thing absolutely runs train through Bulky Offense because the go-to answer in RH Landorus-T gets fucking blown back.

+1 252 Atk Scolipede Hydro Vortex vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Landorus-Therian: 370-436 (97.1 - 114.4%)

That's not to say this is only for Landorus-T, as other common answers on offense such as Magearna, Magnezone, and Metagross die with only a little bit of chip damage to either Hydro Vortex or Megahorn. Really, all water resists on offense suck vs this thing because most of them get romped by either Megahorn or Poison Jab (stuff like Ferro being neutral to Bug really helps here for example!), and even when people expect Hydro Vortex you can just nab another SD since defensive Landorus-T doesn't even OHKO you without Stone Edge.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7pokebankou-234648

Tapu Koko @ Expert Belt
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Nature's Madness/Taunt

So this set main aim is to lure common switch ins to Tapu Koko, mainly things like M-Venu and Tapu Bulu, the speed EVs are enough to ourun Greninja but be slower than other Tapu Kokos so you Uturn after them to scout them, more HP means that you can spam Brave Bird and Wild Charge more comfortably, Nature Madness helps to not unveil that you are physical and to damage bulky incoming threats, Taunt is good when leading to prevent SR from being set up mainly, helps against setup mons and Stall.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I got a meme set:

Infernape @ Electrium Z
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch / Close Combat

Something Infernape draws in is bulky Waters. Naturally, of course, due to its Fire-typing. Others like Slowbro and Tapu Fini are blessed with resisting both of Infernape's STABs.

But what if I told you this boosted animal can get through the majority of them?

+2 252 Atk Infernape Gigavolt Havoc (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 278-328 (91.4 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Infernape Gigavolt Havoc (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 200 Def Tapu Fini: 390-460 (113.7 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Infernape Gigavolt Havoc (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 352-416 (89.5 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Unfortunately Mega Slowbro can eat a hit.

Flare Blitz without Life Orb still isn't too shabby - it still gets the job done against offensive and some defensive mons:

+1 252 Atk Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 274-324 (85.6 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Mach Punch can be used as a method of cheesing through Protean Greninja and either KOing or activating Dugtrio's Focus Sash. Close Combat is more reliable versus Heatran. Optionally Poison Jab helps with Unaware Clefable.

Not the greatest set, but you basically play it as a lure and smash them with +2 Gigavolt Havoc.

I understand OP requested replays. I can't get them at this time, though if it is required I will get some.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

This is a slight optimization of the currently popular non-z offensive heatran. Neither Timid nor Leftovers do all that much, but both Shuca and Modest have cute anti-meta properties. Since Duggy is so popular, Shuca is great, as you can live an unboosted EQ and OHKO with Magma Storm through sash. Modest is also great, as it is capable of 2HKOing standard Mega Sableye, something Timid can not. These attributed make it a much more effective stallbreaker. Leftovers dont really do that much with no defensive investment anyways, and neither does Timid. The only remotely common thing you miss out on is Adamant Excadrill. Shoutouts to my boys Shurtugal and readytolose

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 ATK / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech/Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Sd Tapu Bulu with Fightium Z is already known, however i think that Rockium z is also very useful. The Bp diffrence betwen Continental Crush and All-out Pummeling is small (180 bp vs 190 bp) so it doesnt really make a diffrence when used against scizor or skarmory. However Rockium z gives you a better way of hitting Venusaur, amoonguss, Zapdos, Buzzwole while not having to risk the miss against alola marowak. Only against Magearna Fightium z is better than rockium z.
Some calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Stone Edge (180BP) vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 269-317 (74.1 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery. with some proir damage you can kill it though i dont know if people even run max def.
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 302-356 (83.1 - 98%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Stone Edge (180BP) vs. 248 HP / 176+ Def Amoonguss: 419-494 (97.2 - 114.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-522795114 In this replay i was able to beat his landorus because of rockium-z and then finish the game, i wouldnt have been able to do this with fightium z.

Here's a Hawlucha set I've been using recently, which I think has some reasonable uses:

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sky Attack
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics

The idea behind this set is to come into something that either you threaten innately (Ferrothorn, etc.) or has been weakened to the point where you can easily revenge it (made more easy due to its high speed) - only to set SD and lure in what is ordinarily a soft counter like Fini. While Fini can take a +2 Acrobatics fine okay (hence, soft counter) what it can't take comfortably is a +2 Sky Attack, getting the OHKO after rocks, which attacks in one turn with Power Herb and activates your Unburden. From there on, you have blazing speed and the 110 BP Acrobatics or the 130 BP HJK STABs at your disposal - which is great coverage and quite capable of cleaning teams.

What I think this offers over last gens Sub/Sitrus set is a flying STAB you can use from the off. The Sub/Sitrus set could be annoying, as it didn't give you immediate access to a decent flying STAB - requiring you to either sub until both Unburden and Acrobatics activate or use SD and take a hit into Sitrus range, somewhat rarely giving you the great +2 Atk Unburden combo simultaneously. This Hawlucha set instead can get right to Unburden/Acrobatics by firing off a 140 BP move, or it can SD in appropriate circumstances as before.

While there are plenty of things faster in the tier, neither Greninja nor Pheramosa are going to want to switch in, allowing for circumstances to align for you to activate Unburden and then outspeed them. Additionally, even if you were to fall foul of a Scarfer or Specs Greninja before you activate Unburden you then have a Choice locked mon to take advantage of - so you don't lose out on much momentum. Hawlucha can take chunks out of most of the S and A ranked pokemon on the ladder, most of which it naturally outspeeds or can't switch in like Greninja as mentioned, establishing it as a strong cleaner.

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Sky Attack vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 318-375 (92.7 - 109.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 235-277 (78 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Hawlucha Sky Attack vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Landorus-Therian: 211-249 (55.3 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Hawlucha Sky Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 229-270 (81.4 - 96%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 226-267 (54.1 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 348-411 (97.4 - 115.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 297-351 (81.5 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 192-226 (68.3 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 285-336 (67.8 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

To recap on the roles I think it serves well, it's one of the fastest SD users in the tier, it has threatening STABs, and it doesn't have to work hard to access blazing speed. I put it on my Aurora Veil team as compared to SubCoil Zygarde it can get to a threatening position after a single boost and then be capable of a clean. While Garchomp is also a good SD user with more bulk and respectable speed, it doesn't have access to crazy speed and is more easily walled by Lando, who Hawlucha defeats a huge majority of the time with +1 Sky Attack followed by +1 Acrobatics - which is why I think it isn't outclassed for its specific role by other mons in the tier.

Here's one replay against someone playing the Bazooka Offense team around the 1400 mark, I'll maybe post up more good ones as they come at higher in the ladder: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526529787

Last edited:
So I've just come across this set, which I think works quite well as a late game sweeper.

Hoopa-U @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP or 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly/Adamant/Timid/Modest Nature
- Trick
- Hyperspace Fury/Dark Pulse
- Zen Headbutt/Psychic
- Drain Punch/Shadow Ball

So obviously the main gimmick of this set is the Z-Trick, which doesn't swap the item (so don't worry about messing up the sweep by accident) but does give a +2 speed boost. With a speed neutral nature this allows this guy to outspeed the entire metagame, assuming no scarfs or speed boosts. If you do run the neutral nature and go up against any scarf user equal in speed to or greater than 108 base speed, you're out of luck. But by running the speed boosting nature you just outspeed anything scarfed under 122 base speed.

You could also run the set as a mixed attacker, but you'd lose a significant amount of power, as you would by running speed boosting natures. It also doesn't quite have the power to function as a wallbreaker. In saying all that, it serves extremely well as a late game sweeper, able to 2HKO (at the very least) toxapex, depending on what set it and you run.

If you guys have any improvements I'd love to hear them.

So I've just come across this set, which I think works quite well as a late game sweeper.

Hoopa-U @ Psychium Z
- Trick
- Zen Headbutt/Psychic

So obviously the main gimmick of this set is the Z-Trick, which doesn't swap the item (so don't worry about messing up the sweep by accident) but does give a +2 speed boost. With a speed neutral nature this allows this guy to outspeed the entire metagame, assuming no scarfs or speed boosts. If you do run the neutral nature and go up against any scarf user equal in speed to or greater than 108 base speed, you're out of luck. But by running the speed boosting nature you just outspeed anything scarfed under 122 base speed.

You could also run the set as a mixed attacker, but you'd lose a significant amount of power, as you would by running speed boosting natures. It also doesn't quite have the power to function as a wallbreaker. In saying all that, it serves extremely well as a late game sweeper, able to 2HKO (at the very least) toxapex, depending on what set it and you run.

Another option is to run Nasty Plot in the second moveslot, giving you amazing wallbreaking power as well as the offense-destroying speed that makes this set so fun.

Another option is to run Nasty Plot in the second moveslot, giving you amazing wallbreaking power as well as the offense-destroying speed that makes this set so fun.
I'm gonna go ahead and say that if you run the special set, purely because of the lower move base power and no recovery, the nasty plot is perfect.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion

Hoopa-U @ Psychium Z
- Trick
- Zen Headbutt/Psychic

If you're running this set then Darkinium Snatch is definitely the better option. Even though the difference is very small and most of the time won't effect the game, you don't lose nothing from just running a different move that is slightly better. For those who don't know, Z-Snatch is another +2 Speed Z-Move but this one has an added effect: It steals any boost the opponent grabbed the turn you used the move (for example if your opp used Swords Dance you get +2 Atk as well). I know this won't happen 99/100 games but if you lose nothing by using it why not?

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

Rock Slide is a cool option on Assault Vest Alolan-Muk so that you're able to beat Charizard-Y and Volcarona much more reliably (and Shadow Sneak is honestly pretty garbage anyway). This is kind of a niche set but I find it is useful on certain teams weak to the two aforementioned threats (although Charizard-Y 3hkos you and has a good chance to 2hko after rocks so it still has to be pivoted around).

Most players will tend to keep their Charizard-Y in to kill Muk as normal Assault Vest sets can't adequately threaten it, so Rock Slide can still be effective.

I'm not sure what the spread does specifically but it switches into Specs Moonblast from Lele and has enough power to 2hko Lele / Hoopa-U with Pursuit on the switch.

Calcs:

112 Atk Muk-Alola Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 308-364 (103.7 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
112 Atk Muk-Alola Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 123-145 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola in Sun: 168-198 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

112 Atk Muk-Alola Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 356-420 (114.4 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO
112 Atk Muk-Alola Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 142-168 (45.6 - 54%) -- 43% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 186-219 (44.9 - 52.8%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-528001230

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

This is a slight optimization of the currently popular non-z offensive heatran. Neither Timid nor Leftovers do all that much, but both Shuca and Modest have cute anti-meta properties. Since Duggy is so popular, Shuca is great, as you can live an unboosted EQ and OHKO with Magma Storm through sash. Modest is also great, as it is capable of 2HKOing standard Mega Sableye, something Timid can not. These attributed make it a much more effective stallbreaker. Leftovers dont really do that much with no defensive investment anyways, and neither does Timid. The only remotely common thing you miss out on is Adamant Excadrill. Shoutouts to my boys Shurtugal and readytolose
My guess is that Shuca lures Dugtrio, thinking it can safely trap Heatran (which is something Air Balloon cannot pull off until it's popped), right?

Then perhaps it could be worth running more HP because...

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 260-308 (80.2 - 95%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

... you are literally tossing a coin in that lure if Heatran switched just once into SR. 120 HP EVs at most is useful as you are guaranteed to survive the Earthquake after a round of SR.

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 260-308 (73.6 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

In addition to what Siggu said about the Heatran set, even if you were to fiddle the EVs to survive Dugtrio EQ with Shuca after rocks (120 HP as Siggu said or 92 Def EVs, presumably taken out of SpAtk, which doesn't seem like such a great idea) then Magma Storm is only 75% accurate. Having a lure set that only works three quarters of the time seems doesn't seem worth it, especially as even if you do EV it survive after rocks the HP you have left now sucks.

Im glad to present my set: suicide lead nidoking

Nidoking @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

It is the Only suicide lead which can ohko ferrothorn,landorus-t and heatran with the same moveset,and with the focus sash. Besides, it can stomach Mega metagross with earth power,thanks to focus sash.
Fire blast is used over Flamethrower to OHKO ferrothorn
252 SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 360-424 (102.2 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ice beam OHKOES Landorus-t, garchomp

Earth power is the main Stab which hits hard thanks to sheer force

And, genereally this set is unexpected,so its easy to set up rocks;unlike other suicide leads, nidoking can do something if it cant set up rocks thanks to its coverage moves which hits the majority of the tier.
Replays(maybe more replays later :) ):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-528139779

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-528175147

Im glad to present my set: suicide lead nidoking

Nidoking @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

It is the Only suicide lead which can ohko ferrothorn,landorus-t and heatran with the same moveset,and with the focus sash. Besides, it can stomach Mega metagross with earth power,thanks to focus sash.
Fire blast is used over Flamethrower to OHKO ferrothorn
252 SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 360-424 (102.2 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ice beam OHKOES Landorus-t, garchomp

Earth power is the main Stab which hits hard thanks to sheer force

And, genereally this set is unexpected,so its easy to set up rocks;unlike other suicide leads, nidoking can do something if it cant set up rocks thanks to its coverage moves which hits the majority of the tier.
Replays(maybe more replays later :) ):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-528139779

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-528175147
Wouldn't Greninja do a better job as a suicide lead? Different hazard, but he still hits the same things and doesn't suffer from an unfortunate speed tier

Greninja? If you want set up spikes yes. Homever, it cant ohko ferrothorn without life orb.(even it can beat landot and heatran)

252 Atk Protean Greninja Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 176-210 (50 - 59.6%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Protean Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 256-304 (72.7 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Greninja isnt better, it is different because it sets up spikes.Use it if you have already a SR setter in your team.

Yeah. So, first, spikes Gren is not a suicide lead so they're not comparable. Spikes Gren's role is to pressure the opponent's team, because, well, you're Greninja, force switches and then abuse those switches by using Spikes. This is Spikes Gren, which doesnt play differently than the All-Out attacker set other than having Spikes, and both are not suicide leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)