Project SM Monotype PotW #5: Vid

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Eien , Acast & Vid
Based off of OU PotW and Gen 6 Mono PotW

Welcome to fifth edition of Monotype Player of the Week!

(credits to Seo. for the banner)

During this project, I will be interviewing some of the most influential players in Monotype today whether it be based on their exceptional contribution to the metagame or their outstanding performance in tours. If anyone has suggestions on who should be interviewed next, feel free to PM me your ideas.
This week I have Mono Old Gen's expert, Monotype room and forum Moderator, Council member and overall an incredible contributor to the metagame.

Vid

Can you tell us a bit about your life outside of Smogon?
- Outside of Smogon I play Games such as Competitive Overwatch (PC and Console) and Fate Go. I also love to play basketball (pick up games) and have recently joined a competitive league to hone my skills. I also love to listen to music mostly Hip Hop / Rap/ Rnb.

Where did you get your username from?
- When I was younger I came up username videogambeas101 I chose this because I just loved to video games a lot as a kid playing games such as Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Party 5 and 7. Gradually I shortened the name to Vid.

What are you most known for?
- I guess being the go to Old Gen Monotype player, Monotype Room Mod, Council, and Project Mod.

What made you play Pokemon competitively? What got you into Monotype and made you want to stay?
- I was watching TheFlamingSpade on Youtube in (BW) and I just got hooked instantly. I joined Monotype because of strong presence of leagues in Gen 5, but then I left showdown for a while and came back, played a game of Monotype and it just brought me back.

What is your favorite Pokemon in general and favorite one to use competitively?
- I love using Mega Gardevoir and Suicune a lot. With Gardevoir I love the idea of an offensive Pokemon being able to cripple physical attackers with Wil-O-Wisp, while also being able to deal a massive damage. For Suicune I really enjoy using Vincune with Toxic Spikes Toxapex because it is outside of my normal comfort zone of using offense.​

What is your favorite type?
- My favorite type has to be Water because of versatility it has when building being able to run so many different archetypes SS, Bulky Offense, Balance, Stall, etc

How about your favorite play style?
- My favorite playstyle is offense because I love the idea of constantly applying pressure to win by being aggressive rather than playing safe.

As an expert on Mono Old Gens, what is your favorite meta and which is the best? What are your thoughts on the current SM Monotype metagame? Are there things you think deserve a suspect, to be banned or unbanned?
- If I had to make a list it would go like this BW>DPP>ORAS. BW is my favorite because whenever I decide to play BW whether it's roomtour, MPL, or with friends I always come up with something minor that either enhances "generic teams" or I come up with a very innovative team. I feel like with other Past-Gen metas (ORAS specifically) I can't do that and I'm extremely restricted because the metagame revolves around a few types instead of 10-12 types. Obviously we currently have the Magearna suspect test atm, but one thing that was recently brought to my attention was Shadow Tag and how it isn't really competitive. I personally think Shadow Tag takes a lot of skill out of certain matchups because Gothitelle can chose what it beats and Wobbuffet is surprisingly effective this generation. After the Magearna suspect, it'll be a wait and see type of approach because Magearna was been holding some possibly broken Pokemon back (Greninja specifically).

You are one of the biggest contributors to Monotype’s development, what motivates you to take such a big role within the community?
- My motivation comes from remembering myself as a lost user without proper resources, which made it extremely hard to become a decent Monotype player without trial and error.

Are you involved in anything besides Monotype? Whether it be a tier/metagame you enjoy playing or involvement in projects, etc…
- I love to play Gen 5 Ubers and Gen 6 NU once in a while, but outside of that I haven't really had the motivation to play other tiers.

Why did you decide to contribute to Smogon Media?
- Well I love to write and writing articles for The Flying Press helped me improve my writing style in such a short amount of time, while also presenting Monotype metagame to a bigger audience.

Many people have been comparing Monotype to children’s games like “rock, paper, scissors” and “tic-tac-toe”. What do you think about that bold claim? Is it a gross exaggeration of the type mechanics of monotype or an accurate description?
- Certain aspects of that statement are true such as an Ice team won't likely beat a Steel team, but the above statement is untrue a majority of the time because well-equipped types can beat disadvantages by making smart plays and being aggressive when necessary most people who don't win matchups were playing too safe and decided not to take necessary risks to win. Most people who argue this use a type that doesn't have the tools to properly succeed in the metagame.

Do you have any advice for people new to Monotype or people who are trying to improve?
- Sign up for tournaments because even if lose you gain experience and hopefully know why you lost; Was it because you played terribly? Was your team sub-optimal? Was luck involved? etc.

What are your thoughts on Monotype OMs? Do you think they deserve a presence in competitive monotype or do they simply belong in occasional room tours?
- I think they are best in a roomtour setting or a Monotype forum tour, but outside of that I feel like they aren't competitive enough to be taken too seriously.

Are there any up and coming players that have impressed you or that you think will be able to make a mark in the community?
- Torkool is someone who I still think is up and coming already putting his mark on community being very knowledgeable in Monotype LC one of more popular Monotype OMs. He's improved a a lot from when I first picked him up in BLT and he only keeps impressing and improving.

How do you feel about the last MPL as a whole? How did it compare to previous renditions and how was the team experience for you?
- I liked the metagames that were chosen for MPL III although I didn't really take this MPL as seriously toward the end because I was on a losing team which made it extremely hard to want to win. Overall I thought MPL III was a major improvement from train-wreck that was MPL II, since no OMs (Monotype UU was voted in by a room poll in MPL II which made me and other players very angry).

Who are some of your favorite people that you met on Pokemon Showdown?
- Omega and Dirpz because these guys are just so cool to talk to because they don't take the game too seriously and are just amazing people (Best memers on PS). Other people such Eien, TheThorn, Paleo, Kaiser, Dak, etc. have really taught me a lot more about battling by simply just watching them or by just showing me where I went wrong in the game so that I don't keep making the same mistake.

Finally, can you showcase a team that you think represents your style as a player and provide an explanation on how to use it?

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 60 SpA / 68 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Defog
- Stealth Rock

- Here's a modified version of one of Leru's Vincune teams so credit goes to him for the basic team structure. Basically this team represents what I love to use on the ladder because I just find using Vincune to be very satisfying. The team is a bulkier build designed to have switch-ins to almost every threat in metagame with Vincune and Gyarados both being wincons along Toxic Spikes Toxapex to apply pressure. This team represents me trying to get outside of my comfort zone playing a bulkier build instead of a more offensive build.

Any last words you want to leave us with?
- For anyone trying to get into Monotype it is never a bad idea to lurk so that you can build up metagame knowledge before making a post. I know Smogon is usually not friendly to people who make mistakes on forums, but making mistakes is totally fine. The most important thing to understand is how can you learn from that mistake so that you do not make that same mistake again.

This concludes my interview with Vid. A huge thanks to him for taking time out of his day and replying all my questions! Feel free to now ask your own questions to our Player of the Week.

Last edited:

Bushtush

Banned deucer.
Vid! Have fun!
Have you ever blurted something out without thinking about the consequences first?
Do you want to be taller someday?
Once you've decided something, do you see it through to the end?
Have you ever said "nice to meet you" to someone you've met previously?
You're at a movie theater. What are you there to see?
Have you ever looked at your reflection in a mirror and thought, "What a cool person"?
Have you ever thought that if you dug in your backyard you could find buried treasure?
Do you prefer to play outside rather than inside?
You discover a beat-up-looking treasure chest in some ruins. What do you do?
Have you ever realized you were hogging the conversation?
When you see a switch, do you feel an overwhelming urge to flip it?
Have you ever forgotten you bought something and bought another one?
Do you think it's important to always aim to be the best?
Do you want to be famous?
If you saw someone doing something bad, could you scold them?
Have you ever told a joke that just completely fell flat?
Do you like lively parties?
Are you truly sincere when you apologize?
Do you like karaoke?
You're hiking up a mountain when you reach diverging paths. Which kind do you take?
Your friend takes a spectacular fall! What do you do?
You have a really important test tomorrow! What do you do?
Have you ever accidentally called a teacher "Mom" or "Dad"?
There's a rumor around about a ghost haunting the school bathrooms! What do you do?
You're in class when you realize that you really have to go to the restroom! What do you do?
Do you think you have good study habits?
What's your studying style?
You're packing your classroom's snacks for a picnic when you get hungry. What do you do?
You see a cake that is past its expiration date, but only by one day. What do you do?
You've just stuffed yourself with a good meal when a great dessert arrives. What do you do?
Your friend has made a meal that tastes terrible. They ask, "How is it?" You say...?
You're eating at a very fancy restaurant known for its food. Which course do you select?
Everyone's sharing a dessert, and there's an extra piece. What do you do?
Your friend offers to treat you to dinner. What do you do?
Everyone around you is laughing hard at something you think is pretty boring. What do you do?
Do you prefer to be busy or to have a lot of free time?
You're about to buy a popular game when someone else gets the last copy! How do you feel?
You run into a new person that you haven't talked to very much before. What do you do?
Good news and bad news... Which one do you want to hear first?
You've been handed a large bag as a souvenir. What do you do?
Hey, what's that? There's someone behind you! So...did you look just now?
How are your mornings?
You've been invited to a wonderful party. It's time for the party to start, but there's nobody there! You think...?
You take off your shoes to realize your socks are two different colors! What do you do?
Did you make any New Year's resolutions?
You're in a completely silent assembly when you suddenly hear someone pass gas! How do you react?
You're running a marathon, and at the start you fall flat on your face! What will you do?
You find something at a great bargain price! What do you do?
You've been asked to do a difficult task. What will you do?
You notice that a toy you bought for full price yesterday is marked down to half price today! How do you feel?
Your friend is running a little late to meet you. Is that OK?
Do you think that, no matter what, life goes on?
The phone's ringing! What do you do?
Your friends seem to be making plans to hang out, just out of earshot. You think...
Do you think it's important to be fashionably late?
You've won big on a raffle ticket! You say...
Do you think blaming something you did on someone else is sometimes necessary?
Your friend suddenly won't listen to you, when everything was fine yesterday. What happened?
You fail miserably! Everyone found out, and they're disappointed in you... What do you do?
You want to reveal that you like someone a whole bunch! What do you do?
You're on a stroll when a TV crew pounces on you for an interview. What do you do?
The people at the next table are singing for someone's birthday. What do you do?
You see a big and comfortable bed. Your first reaction is to...
You're daydreaming...when your friend sprays you with water! What do you do?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you male or female?

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Vid! Have fun!
Have you ever blurted something out without thinking about the consequences first?
Do you want to be taller someday?
Once you've decided something, do you see it through to the end?
Have you ever said "nice to meet you" to someone you've met previously?
You're at a movie theater. What are you there to see?
Have you ever looked at your reflection in a mirror and thought, "What a cool person"?
Have you ever thought that if you dug in your backyard you could find buried treasure?
Do you prefer to play outside rather than inside?
You discover a beat-up-looking treasure chest in some ruins. What do you do?
Have you ever realized you were hogging the conversation?
When you see a switch, do you feel an overwhelming urge to flip it?
Have you ever forgotten you bought something and bought another one?
Do you think it's important to always aim to be the best?
Do you want to be famous?
If you saw someone doing something bad, could you scold them?
Have you ever told a joke that just completely fell flat?
Do you like lively parties?
Are you truly sincere when you apologize?
Do you like karaoke?
You're hiking up a mountain when you reach diverging paths. Which kind do you take?
Your friend takes a spectacular fall! What do you do?
You have a really important test tomorrow! What do you do?
Have you ever accidentally called a teacher "Mom" or "Dad"?
There's a rumor around about a ghost haunting the school bathrooms! What do you do?
You're in class when you realize that you really have to go to the restroom! What do you do?
Do you think you have good study habits?
What's your studying style?
You're packing your classroom's snacks for a picnic when you get hungry. What do you do?
You see a cake that is past its expiration date, but only by one day. What do you do?
You've just stuffed yourself with a good meal when a great dessert arrives. What do you do?
Your friend has made a meal that tastes terrible. They ask, "How is it?" You say...?
You're eating at a very fancy restaurant known for its food. Which course do you select?
Everyone's sharing a dessert, and there's an extra piece. What do you do?
Your friend offers to treat you to dinner. What do you do?
Everyone around you is laughing hard at something you think is pretty boring. What do you do?
Do you prefer to be busy or to have a lot of free time?
You're about to buy a popular game when someone else gets the last copy! How do you feel?
You run into a new person that you haven't talked to very much before. What do you do?
Good news and bad news... Which one do you want to hear first?
You've been handed a large bag as a souvenir. What do you do?
Hey, what's that? There's someone behind you! So...did you look just now?
How are your mornings?
You've been invited to a wonderful party. It's time for the party to start, but there's nobody there! You think...?
You take off your shoes to realize your socks are two different colors! What do you do?
Did you make any New Year's resolutions?
You're in a completely silent assembly when you suddenly hear someone pass gas! How do you react?
You're running a marathon, and at the start you fall flat on your face! What will you do?
You find something at a great bargain price! What do you do?
You've been asked to do a difficult task. What will you do?
You notice that a toy you bought for full price yesterday is marked down to half price today! How do you feel?
Your friend is running a little late to meet you. Is that OK?
Do you think that, no matter what, life goes on?
The phone's ringing! What do you do?
Your friends seem to be making plans to hang out, just out of earshot. You think...
Do you think it's important to be fashionably late?
You've won big on a raffle ticket! You say...
Do you think blaming something you did on someone else is sometimes necessary?
Your friend suddenly won't listen to you, when everything was fine yesterday. What happened?
You fail miserably! Everyone found out, and they're disappointed in you... What do you do?
You want to reveal that you like someone a whole bunch! What do you do?
You're on a stroll when a TV crew pounces on you for an interview. What do you do?
The people at the next table are singing for someone's birthday. What do you do?
You see a big and comfortable bed. Your first reaction is to...
You're daydreaming...when your friend sprays you with water! What do you do?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you male or female?
  1. Yes
  2. Depends
  3. Yes to someone I met when I was younger
  4. Star Wars
  5. No
  6. Either way is fine
  7. Open it
  8. Yes
  9. No
  10. Yes
  11. Yes
  12. "Fuck the fame and the fortune well maybe not the fortune" J Cole
  13. No
  14. Yes
  15. Depends on my mood
  16. Yes
  17. Yes
  18. Left path
  19. Laugh then help him
  20. Chill out
  21. Yes when I was 6
  22. Go in the bathroom
  23. Go to the bathroom
  24. No
  25. Just wing it
  26. Get something to eat
  27. Eat it
  28. Take it to go
  29. It's good
  30. Whatever
  31. Eat it
  32. Offer to pay
  33. Walk away
  34. Busy
  35. I'll buy it online
  36. Introduce myself
  37. Good news
  38. Shrug
  39. Yes
  40. Terrible
  41. The party isn't real
  42. Get new socks
  43. No
  44. Sit there
  45. Keep running
  46. Buy it
  47. Try it
  48. Terrible
  49. That's fine
  50. Yes
  51. Answer it
  52. They're going to the gym
  53. Yes
  54. Nothing
  55. No
  56. He thinks you took his Gf
  57. Learn from it and move on
  58. Talk to them
  59. Answer the questions
  60. Clap after
  61. Lay down
  62. Idk
  63. Male

I know that you already stated advice for players new to Monotype, but as someone trying to learn more about Monotype in previous generations, as well as a few mono OMs, do you have any separate advice for those players?

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know that you already stated advice for players new to Monotype, but as someone trying to learn more about Monotype in previous generations, as well as a few mono OMs, do you have any separate advice for those players?
My biggest piece of advice is to practice and ask players that know that specific meta questions so that you can understand the meta at the highest level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)