SM OU Team Preview Analysis Workshop v2 (Round 2: CelePex Balance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
[Banner goes here]
approved by Gary | OP stolen from dk | hosted by Leo

How It Works:
Every week, the hosting team will provide a slate of one team as it would appear at team preview (just sprites). From there, users may post their guesses as to what the team's actual sets are! The general idea is to help build team comp. reading skills to better improve your chances at winning battles from the get-go.​

Rules:
Standard OU forum rules apply. No flaming/antagonizing please. Also no one liners.
2. You may only post one full guess per team (so you can't suggest 50 different variations of a team and win through trial and error)
3. A "complete" guess consists of listing the following for each team member:
A. Ability
B. Nature
C. Moveset
D. Item
E. Small paragraph description explaining your choices.
4. Please feel free to PM me if you have a team you would like featured! Please make sure its sets aren't painfully obvious, though!
5. You don't have to post a "complete" guess for each post here. Simply making observations and discussing possibilities freely is perfectly fine.
6. We HIGHLY encourage using the given post formatting code for your posts. The hide tags discourage others from accidentally gleaning and/or stealing ideas from the contents of your posts and should ultimately make each post more unique/personalized.

Post Formatting (Copy/paste):
Code:
Code:
[hide=Importable][/hide][hide=Explanation]Overview:
[INDENT][text goes here][/INDENT]
Things Most Confident Of: [INDENT][text goes here][/INDENT]
Things Least Confident Of: [INDENT][text goes here][/INDENT][/hide]

Hall of Fame:

This Week's Team Slate:

Last edited:
This team is amazing, and also is this thread tho :)!

Mega Diancie
A.- Ability: Clear Body -> Magic Bounce
B.- Nature: Naive
C.- Moveset: Diamond Storm/Moonblast/Earth Power/ HP Fire
D.- Item: Diancite

Volcarona
A.- Ability: Flame Body
B.- Nature: Timid
C.- Moveset: Quiver Dance/Fire Blast/HP Ice/Giga Drain
D.- Item: Charti Berry

Landorus-T
A.- Ability: Intimidate
B.- Nature: Impish
C.- Moveset: Stealth Rock/Earthquake/HP Ice/U-turn
D.- Item: Leftovers

Mantine
A.- Ability: Water Absorb
B.- Nature: Calm
C.- Moveset: Scald/Defog/Roost/Haze
D.- Item: Leftovers

Tapu Lele
A.- Ability: Psychic Surge
B.- Nature: Timid
C.- Moveset: Psychic/Moonblast/Focus Blast/Thunderbolt
D.- Item: Choice Scarf

Tapu Bulu

A.- Ability: Grassy Surge
B.- Nature: Jolly
C.- Moveset: Swords Dance/Horn Leech/Superpower/Stone Edge
D.- Item: Fightinium Z

Overview:
To me, this team is a BO playstyle, with wallbreakers like M-Diancie and Tapu Bulu, which serves also as Stallbreaker, a solid Choice Scarf user in Lele, with fat backbone in the form of Landorus-T+Mantine and a setup sweeper/wincon in Volcarona. I think the set for M-Diancie is AoA, since, Landorus-T can get SR against stall, this free a moveslot in M-Diancie, the moveset is standar IMO, with two STAB and Diamond Storm to hit specially defensive fat things like Celesteela and Chansey, then, Earth Power for switch-ins like Heatran and Toxapex and HP Fire to catch Ferro and M-Scizor in the switch. Volcarona with Charti Berry to avoid being RK by Rock-Type moves from scarfers like Keldeo, and forcing Chomp to risk the Stone Edge. Moveset pretty standar to deal with those scarfers. Fat Lando-T and the set and all the things are really really standar, being the SR setter for the team as the physical sponge. Mantine is here to be the specially defensive fat thing, with Defog to support even Further Volcarona if your opponent get SR up with something like Lando-T to not risk M-Diancie being KOed; I decided to run Haze to deal with setup sweepers, since, most things Mantine attracts, like fat Grass-Type, can be setup fodder to Volcarona. Lele Scarf to the main form of speed control for the team, which is good alongside Mantine; Two Stabs, FB to hit mainly Heatran and Ferro and TB to deal damage to Skarm, Steela and Mantine, while supporting Volcarona's sweep with Psychic Terrain. Finally, Bulu with Z-crystal and SD to be the main form of Stallbreak for this team being able to run through fat builds if its checks/counters are weakened or removed, and nearly 6-0 Stall if played properly.

Things Most Confident Of: I'm pretty confident in most sets, but, also minor nitpicks which will be listed next.

Things Least Confident Of:
SR on M-Diancie seems good to me instead of HP Fire, freeing the slot in Lando-T to run Protect, checking things like Zygarde and Garchomp better. In Bulu's set, Stone Edge could be replaced for Taunt, which allows you to take more on Stall negating the Roost and Whirlwind from Skarmory as well as Haze from Toxapex. Also, Adamant with Grassium-Z and Wood Hammer shits on Unaware Clefable, but, I feel max speed Bulu is better in the current metagame.

I really liked this thread! Keep going with this great challenge :)!
Good Luck

Reactions: Leo
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Volcarona @ Charti Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 28 SpD / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Haze
- Roost

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Swords Dance
Overview:
rockium bulu to lure skarmceles and a better chance to break venu. scarf lele cuz team has no speed control. fat lando cuz u get crushed by things like lopunny, maro, ttar, zyg etc. standard mantine haze cuz autoto celes 6-0s. charti volc cuz charti volc. rocks diancie because how else would you get rocks vs stall and you will be able to keep them up by pressuring with bulu and volc.​
Things Most Confident Of:
scarf lele and mantine set. Probably charti volc as well becuz i dont think you really need to lure toxapex or zyg.​
the teams has like 3 different potential z move users. like I seriously wanted to make lando offensive rocks zfly but HNNG. Diancie also has like 4 different sets but im p sure its either rocks or just 4 atk

Reactions: Leo

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I decided to end this round a bit sooner so that I could just make the deadline monday from now on. Anyways, our winner for this week is Night Train Lane with 4 correct sets, good job! I actually experimented with a bunch of sets for this team throughout this week before deciding on this so yeah there were a bunch of good options, soz for that ;w; next round should be up soon
Diancie+Volcarona:

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
This Week's Team:

CelePex Balance:

This week I decided to bring a more straightforward team to see if we can get more submissions this way, there aren't that many variations but should be fun still. I also decided to include this
Code:
[hide=Importable]
Celesteela @ 
Ability: Beast Boost 
EVs:
Nature 
-
-
-
-

Toxapex @
Ability: Regenerator
EVs:
Nature 
-
-
-
-

Latias @ 
Ability: Levitate 
EVs:
Nature 
- 
-
-
-

Tapu Bulu @
EVs:
Nature 
-
-
-
-

Clefable @
Ability:  
EVs:
Nature 
-
-
-
-

Tapu Koko @
Ability: Electric Surge 
EVs:
Nature 
-
-
-
- 
[/hide]
Basically in case any of you can't or don't feel like opening the teambuilder to get the paste, you can just fill this w your ideas and stuff. Btw you don't need to include an explanation but it's nicer if you do and it gives you an edge in case there's some sort of tie

Good luck to everyone!

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 136 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Reflect Type

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 144 Atk / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Grass Knot

Clefable is the only mon on the team that learns Stealth Rock.
  • Unaware Rocks isn't a set, so it's Magic Guard.
  • The team doesn't really like going up against SubTran (if something isn't heavily damaged, it eats a Toxic or a lot of residual damage) so Clefable is EV'd to handle that.
  • Calm Mind lets it actually break stuff like Heatran and Mew in the long term, and turns it into a potential wincon.
The team isn't weak to any of the things that you might carry Scarf Latias for, so it's probably a Mega.
  • Boltbeam+Roost is mandatory, letting it properly check a lot of threats like Landorus-T and Mega Charizard Y.
  • Reflect Type is just too useful to give up, honestly. It improves the matchup vs. Pursuit, Steel-types, fat Grass-types, Mega Heracross, and so on. Any typing that resists itself.
Toxapex has three mandatory moves and a mandatory item.
  • The EVs let it handle Mega Charizard Y while burnt and under a layer of Spikes, while also outspeeding Mega Camerupts that are trying to outspeed 0 Spe Toxapex (while Mega Latias walls, the camel still disrupts most of the team and can work to wear Mega Latias down with another mon).
  • Toxic Spikes goes in the last slot to force more Defogs, because the team doesn't have any of its own.
Scarf Tapu Koko is the only way the team can be remotely consistent vs. Volcarona teams, since they'll either have Psychium to drop Toxapex, or some other Z-Move to be more consistent vs. the rest of the team
  • The EVs let it OHKO Volcarona with Brave Bird, outspeed Kingdra in the rain, and U-Turn out of Scarf Dugtrio.
  • Grass Knot gives the team a shot at revenge killing Mega Swampert with prior damage -- anything that HP Ice hits is handled elsewhere.
Bulu and Celesteela have to fight for the Z crystal. Quite honestly, were I to face this team in the wild, I would have to treat both of them as Z move users until proven otherwise. But since that's not how this workshop rolls, offensive Bulu can function better without it than offensive Celesteela. Anyways.

Tapu Bulu is the team's best breaker, so it's gotta break shit. Choice Band.
  • Very standard set. Jolly is just better for checking Timid Magearna, Modest Heatran, Gyarados, Bisharp, Mega Tyranitar... honestly just worth it for that little bit of insurance.
Since Pex+Lati handle a lot of mons that defensive Celesteela might want to, it can afford to be the team's cleaner or midgame sweeper.
  • Standard EVs and three standard moves for the Autotomize set.
  • Hidden Power Ice is good for dealing surprise damage to stuff like Lando-T, Zygarde, Garchomp. Zapdos, which irritates the team with Discharges and Pressure, is 2HKOed by +1 Hidden Power Ice. All of this lets it sweep earlier, since Giga Drain and Earthquake's targets can be handled elsewhere.
I could, as usual, plan for somewhat more conventional sets, but if my opponent is any good, they didn't just grab the best sets for all six of these mons, they built to synergize, and probably did something to give themselves an edge. So that's how I roll, too.

Last edited:
Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Wild Charge
Overview:
standard celestoxclef fat core. 3 atk mega lati is my favorite set cuz its fat fast and has perfect coverage. band bulu cuz scarf is bad. zcharge koko which cooks stall if you play ot well enough. thunder wave clef so tran and volc cant come in 10P% for free​
Things Most Confident Of:
celes, clef, and tox are obvious since its balance. I like the lati set even tho its the only defog user but HNNG. I honestly think its zwild charge but i wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt.​
koko and bulu sets cause theyre basically interchangable. lati could have defog but i think i prefer it without it tbh. cuz tox absorbs tspikes and clef the other members dont care about spikes.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)