Project USM OU Teambuilding Competition V2 - Round 19: Stakataka (Voting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Voting over, and the winner for this round is imsosorrylol with 7 votes, congrats!

Team 4 - 4
Team 5 - 2
Team 6 - 1
Team 7 - 7
Team 8 - 1

Round 3:

I've been a huge fan of Aurora Veil teams for some time now; having an automatic Reflect + Light Screen is really nice for offensive setup nons, so the goalfor this round will be to build a team with Aurora Veil! You may use another Aurora Veil setter besides Ninetales (but why ?_?). The building round will end on June 24th at 2:00 PM EST/GMT-4. Good luck and have fun building!

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Encore

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Taunt

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 96 SpA / 16 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Fly

I've seen the robopoke's RMT and found it very interesting the sets fast CM Fini and Bulky Double Dance Magearna.
A quick Taunt is as useful against solid Defog mon as Zapdos and Mew, helping to prevent Rocks and Aurora Veil from being withdrawn. Tapu Fini still helps with Misty Terrain to prevent status in Magearna and Charizard X. Also, anti Smeargle lead.
Anything can replace HP Fire on 9tales-A set. Moonblast, HP Ground or even Hail if the weather change.
Bulky Magearna with Aurora Veil support can easily setup, a Pokémon that forces many switchs, still abusing Leftovers to repair Hail damage or recovering HP after the end of Hail.
I found a lead needed for hazard control and Excadrill is still the best choice.
Then as I still had a free Mega and Z slot, I added two physical sweepers.
Mega Charizard X can take advantage of good natural bulky + Aurora Veil for DD, while still an answer to Volcarona and Charizard Y. (Just not using Dragon Claw with Misty Terrain.) While Landorus-T still has Intimidate to be able to setup with more safety.

Ok, no high ladder, but against two standarts and solids teams.
Excadrill just Rocks and Ninetales-A setup Aurora Veil. Magearna safely setup and sweep.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593574435
Even without Rocks, Magearna setup and sweep.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593567702

give the gays what they want (Ninetales-Alola) @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]

scary shrimp (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

GHOST (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang

i dream of genie (Thundurus) (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fly
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

free hugs (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

my little brony (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge

Alolan Ninetales is obviously the premiere Aurora Veil setter in OU so I went with a set that's pretty simple: Encore to shut down set-up sweepers, Freeze-Dry STAB, Aurora Veil with Light Clay as held item for 8 turns of the defensive buff and I found Hidden Power Fire to be surprisingly useful in smacking the typical switch-ins in Skarmory and Ferrothorn very hard. I settled on Mega Gyarados with a standard set because Aurora Veil makes it even easier for this bulky mon to set up and it has natural defensive synergy with A-Ninetales.

I then added Alolan Marowak because it makes a formidable pair with Mega Gyarados as they cover each other almost perfectly defensively and provides rocks. A-Marowak excels at punching holes through the bulky grass and steel types that M-Gyarados struggles with like Tangrowth and Magearna. I added Thundurus for a flying-type check and because it pressures really bulky water types like Tapi Fini and Toxapex while luring and OHKO-ing defensive Mega Venusaur with its Supersonic Skystrike.

The last two mons are pretty self explanatory. Ferrothorn provides a check to mons like Tapu Lele and Dragon Dance Zygarde and also provides Spikes support. Then Keldeo is there to check Greninja and revenge Volcarona.

Last edited:

EVs: 156 HP / 100 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Encore
- Safeguard

Zygarde @ Yache Berry
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Toxic
- Thousand Arrows

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Shift Gear

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile

Mew @ Expert Belt
Ability: Synchronize
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Going to preface this by saying that I am by no means an expert at team building, but it is the aspect of competitive Pokemon that I enjoy the most. So here I present my attempt at Aurora Veils offense.

I felt the best play-style to maximize Aurora Veils potential is Hyper Offense, and thus split the roles into

Lead - Alolan Ninetales
Breaker 1 - Zygarde
Breaker 2 - Heracross-Mega
Sweeper- SG Magearna
Glue - Mew
Cleaner - Ash Greninja

However, the roles are rather flexible, as in some games, Ash- Greninja can function as a breaker if itG can transform early on, and Zygarde can become a sweeper, and Magearna the cleaner.

Ninetales EVs is to maximize bulk while always OHKO-ing standard defensive Pelipper on rain 100% with Freeze Dry. You may have noticed Safeguard there, and it's role is

1. To make it easier to switch into Wisps for Heracross when facing stall
2. Because HP Fire was the original, but never ended up clicking it.

Safeguard seemed like a fun gimmick, and has come in handy before, although the main move you will be clicking is always Freeze Dry. Encore is to prevent you from becoming total set-up fodder. It also helps potentially vs Smeargle leads, who might just spore turn 1, which can be totally negated with Safeguard. This can in turn make smeargle into complete set-up fodder.

I next decided to partner with Zygarde, because opposing Sun and Sand teams can easily make Ninetales deadweight by having slower weather. In these cases, I will generally lead with Zygarde, since it feasts on T-Tar and Char-Y, and thanks to Yache, doesn't have to fear the Ice Beam/Punch/HP Ice (first time at least).

Yache Berry also comes in handy vs things like lead Protean Greninja, who think they can gunk shot my Ninetales, and HP Ice Tapu Koko (dazzling gleam shouldn't OHKO either). When I see these mons, I will usually also lead Zygarde to get off damage with T-Arrows.

The set is very standard, Max attack T-Arrows as the main spammable move, DD to get enough power to cripple something for a future teammate sweep.

I have toxic, since I don't run Ice Beam on Magearna, so this can slowly wittle down opposing Zygarde without locking myself into Outrage, Tangrowth, and Lando-T. Also annoys Tapu Bulu, but less so thanks to Grassy Terrain.

My second breaker is Mega-Heracross. This mon is my favorite mega, and it's been that way since I first started playing XY. That natural bulk is even more terrifying under Aurora Veil, and it serves as my main win-con against stall and slower bulkier teams. It's generally able to get 1 or 2 kills under screens, and its also my main way of eating up bulky grass types which are this teams main enemy. However, getting it in on a bulky grass basically can equate to one dead mon on the other team. If you're lucky and can get a safeguard up, you can be sort of reckless with Heracross, at least throwing it into a scald won't be bad.

I made the EVs to outspeed 16 Speed defensive Landorus-T, but you can play around with max speed if you feel the need to. I appreciate the bulk though, and the extra attack that adamant gives, but 252 Jolly is an option. This mon is also my main answer to opposing Zygardes, which fail to even tickle it if screens are up, and they have to lock themselves into Outrage, which then gives Magearna time to set up if they are sufficiently weakened. It's also my only ground resist whoops.

Nothing to say about Magearna other than the fact it snowballs so damn quickly, and that you better pray you have enough bulk to not get 2HKO'd. It can SG on so many things, and is my main Greninja and Tapu Lele check which would otherwise destroy this team (0 switch ins to Ash ninja). I chose Flash Cannon over Ice Beam because I felt that bulkier grounds could be wittled away by combined power of Zygarde and Heracross, and also because unaware Clefable took pitiful damage from Heracross. Also, having that STAB for neutral hits is very nice. Might play around with Corkscrew Crash over All Out Pummeling for z-move to better answer grass types.

The Mew set is really fun and probably one of my favorite sets I've played with. The original idea was that I needed SR somewhere, but didn't want use Landorus-T. One probably could use defensive Lando-T as a good pivot, but so far Mew has not dissapointed. It lures in Fini, Scizor, Ferrothron, sometimes Lando-T, and even Tangrowth, and bonks each and every one of them with a coverage.

Finally, Ash-ninja does what it does best, and is a nightmare against opposing offensive teams. Against balanced teams, if I can break past the defensive backbones with Heracross, the rest is usually easily handled by Water Shruiken spam.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594334128 Heracross has fun, lol at the salt even though he haxed me

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594395970 Mew and Greninja punch enough holes

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594401699 Opposing Aurora Veils

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594311447 Yache Berry against opposing T-tar

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594309087 Yache beats some weird Icium-Z victini

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594286610 Heracross winning, the miss at end didn't matter since he wasn't transformed yet, would have done max 40% under screens.

Last edited:
Two Aurora Veil Setters!?!

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
Timid Nature
- Hail
- Aurora Veil
- Spikes
- Ice Beam

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry
- Charm

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

The main trait with this team that it involves using two Aurora Veil setters + Hazard Stack

Froslass usually tends to lead and tries and use Hail + Aurora Veil and with sash you can get the odd snow cloak evasion miss when setting hail allowing you to setting aurora veil + spikes, if you don't feel comfortable with doing that strat then you can always spam spikes.

Ninetales is the best Aurora Veil setter since it sets Hail instantly allowing it to set Aurora Veil straight away, I gave it freeze dry to hit water types and moonblast as its strong STAB move, Charm is a very niche but fun option on ninetales so you can screw with Physical Attackers harder allowing for Mega Tyranitar and Bisharp to set up easier.

Mega Tyranitar is already a strong defensive sweeper but when behind a Aurora Veil only pokemon like Choice Band Terrakion will be able to break Mega Tyranitar behind a Aurora Veil, I chosen the Dragon Dance set with Stone Edge, Ice Punch and Superpower, Stone Edge for strongest STAB and Zapdos, Ice Punch Covers Zygarde and Landorus-t which both seem to be on 50% of teams these days and Superpower to hit Ferrothorn and Kyurem-Black easier.

Bisharp basically absorbs Defog which allows Bisharp to gain 2+ attack and Darkinium Z allows Bisharp to break Skarmory and Toxapex at +2 which benefits the team greatly.

Mimikyu helps spinblock and allows itself to tank more hits behind a Aurora Veil and checks important threats to this team such as Tapu Lele and Mega Heracross.

Finally I needed a stealth rock setter and did not got blown back by Keldeo hard if not careful so Celebi fills up these ticks well and Celebi offers beating other hazard mons better such as Ferrothorn and Heatran with earth power and hp fire.

Two Aurora Veil Setters!?!

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Hail
- Aurora Veil
- Spikes
- Ice Beam

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry
- Charm

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

The main trait with this team that it involves using two Aurora Veil setters + Hazard Stack

Froslass usually tends to lead and tries and use Hail + Aurora Veil and with sash you can get the odd snow cloak evasion miss when setting hail allowing you to setting aurora veil + spikes, if you don't feel comfortable with doing that strat then you can always spam spikes.

Ninetales is the best Aurora Veil setter since it sets Hail instantly allowing it to set Aurora Veil straight away, I gave it freeze dry to hit water types and moonblast as its strong STAB move, Charm is a very niche but fun option on ninetales so you can screw with Physical Attackers harder allowing for Mega Tyranitar and Bisharp to set up easier.

Mega Tyranitar is already a strong defensive sweeper but when behind a Aurora Veil only pokemon like Choice Band Terrakion will be able to break Mega Tyranitar behind a Aurora Veil, I chosen the Dragon Dance set with Stone Edge, Ice Punch and Superpower, Stone Edge for strongest STAB and Zapdos, Ice Punch Covers Zygarde and Landorus-t which both seem to be on 50% of teams these days and Superpower to hit Ferrothorn and Kyurem-Black easier.

Bisharp basically absorbs Defog which allows Bisharp to gain 2+ attack and Darkinium Z allows Bisharp to break Skarmory and Toxapex at +2 which benefits the team greatly.

Mimikyu helps spinblock and allows itself to tank more hits behind a Aurora Veil and checks important threats to this team such as Tapu Lele and Mega Heracross.

Finally I needed a stealth rock setter and did not got blown back by Keldeo hard if not careful so Celebi fills up these ticks well and Celebi offers beating other hazard mons better such as Ferrothorn and Heatran with earth power and hp fire.
Just a small nitpick: I feel Fire Punch is better on MegaTar than Superpower. You say Superpower's there to hit Ferrothorn and Kyurem-B, but SP has a lot of drawbacks. At full health, it's not a guaranteed OHKO vs Ferrothorn. It kills after a Spike, but then you lose Attack which hurts your sweep:

+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 314-370 (89.2 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
vs
+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 392-464 (111.3 - 131.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Meanwhile, Fire Punch WILL OHKO at +1 no matter what, while not lowering your Attack and Defense in the process. +1 Stone Edge will kill Kyurem-B anyways. Fire Punch also gives you a way of hitting Mega Scizor and Magearna for much better damage, OHKOing the former at +1 while not even taking half from an uninvested Bullet Punch even from outside Aurora Veil, and having a 50% chance to OHKO Shift Gear Magearna after Stealth Rock at +1. Those two just so happen to match up pretty well vs your team.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Aurora Veil
- Encore

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Psychic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Thousand Arrows
- Iron Tail
- Extreme Speed

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Trick

This team was expertly crafted by me after some time, it's extremely simple and very dangerous against common BOs. Set up Aurora Veil with A-Ninetales, then proceed to go into your 2 breakers who can screw up the early game for opponents and put them at a disadvantage. As an AV Tangrowth connoisseur, I'm fully aware of +3 Manaphy's inability to kill with Ice Beam. Rather than wasting a Z-move, I've opted for Blizzard instead of Ice Beam in order to get a better roll to kill out of Hail, and a kill under it. CB Zygarde is self explanatory, with its strength, priority, typing, and ability to bait out Pokemon such as Lando-T, which is food for Manaphy. Iron Tail gets a KO on Bulu should it ever come in. Ferrothorn is inspired from Ferrothorn's conception on some BW weather teams where it acted as a pivot that could just get up hazards quickly against Pokemon such as Latios, and it is fully relevant in this sense on the team, as well as forming a decent core with Manaphy and Zygarde. It deals with Ash-Gren to some degree as well, although this is pre-evolution and it cannot really beat it, but it usually can stall its evolution long enough to get into a winning position with my other Pokemon. Scarf Latios is here to temporarily take hits from Pokemon such as Keldeo, while also preventing Pokemon such as Magearna or other setup sweepers from having their way with my team by virtue of Thunder Wave and Trick. Outspeeding Pokemon such as Ash-Gren and Tapu Koko is also a bonus to temporarily return momentum to the team. Finally, SG-Z Magearna rounds off the team by acting as the lategame sweeper, and under screens it gets ample time to setup, and due to the catastrophic damage that Manaphy and Zygarde ought to have caused to the opponent's team, the opponent shouldn't be able to deal with this. The team's main draw is setting up with Manaphy early and surprising Lando-Tangrowth cores with Blizzard, and in general pressuring the opponent such that they cannot get up the hazards that would hinder A-Ninetales coming in to setup Aurora Veil another time. Most standard teams either have to play very well to avoid being at a huge disadvantage in the early game, or have above average matchup. The lead matchup is also crucial in some aspects, but in general the teams cohesion has, in my experience, managed to make setting up Aurora Veil rather straightforward.

Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Encore
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 32 Def/ 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Conversion
- Recover
- Discharge

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

Magearna @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

I started this team around Aurora Veil + Porygon-Z which were two things I had never used before. I originally had freeze-dry on Ninetales, but Icy Wind allows you to slow down Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Keldeo and Ash- Greninja. Encore prevents Ninetales from being setup fodder and gives opportunities for teammates to set up. Moonblast was used over Hidden Power because I have other mons for Ferrothorn and Scizor, and Moonblast lets you 2HKO Tyranitar. Porygon-Z is incredibly scary behind screens as traditional revenge killers such as Gengar and Keldeo don't do much damage after Z-Conversion. I decided on the standard moveset for it, but I felt that max Speed Timid was redundant, so I made it faster than Mega Manectric after boosting. The rest of the EV's were dumped into Defense to soften rolls. Mega Charizard X was added for its ability to set up on Charizard Y which was a problem for Ninetales, and provides a way to beat Scizor and Ferrothorn. Next, Dugtrio was added mainly to trap Tyranitar but also for stuff like Unaware Clefable and Toxapex. I needed a Stealth rocker, so I just put rocks on Dugtrio. Double Dance Magearna is the last wincon, and sets up on stuff like Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Latios, and opposing Magearna. Latias was added for healing wish, so you can revive a weakened something to sweep again. Overall a fun team that has a lot of stuff I've never used before.

Last edited:

Elsa (Ninetales-Alola) (F) @ Light Clay
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Encore
- Hypnosis
- Aurora Veil

setup queen (Volcarona) (F) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance

Mah Smogon (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

banned soon (Greninja-Ash) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

i miss metagross (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 128 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost
- Swords Dance

tapu protec (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

I got the idea because Veil + volcarona is just too good.

The Ninetales set is pretty standard except I like hypnosis for when im trying to sack ninetales anyway and want a chance at crippling a mon. I found I was not using moonblast or toxic or any of its other possible moves if I put them in that slot. Hypnosis has won me games. Freezedry doesnt KO defensive landorus at 0 SPA so I run blizzard to punish the huge amount of dumbasses who think they can stay in and rocks in while I get up veil or something.

Volcarona is the star of this team. It REALLY appreciates veil and misty terrain support, letting it both set up safely and not die if it misses an OHKO. Psychium Z is to push past pex and venusaur which this team otherwise struggles with. Fiery Dance over fire blast because inaccurate moves are the bane of my existence.

Volcarona behind veil can take a specs Keldeo scald! It can live specs greninja hydro pump behind veil, only if it hasnt gotten off Ash form yet. 3HKO from landorus EQ. There are many more 2HKOs and OHKOs it avoids under veil, allowing you to safely quiver dance on more pokemon.

The point of this team is to support volc in the lategame.

Greninja and lando can take care of heatran. Scizor is a secondary set up sweeper for this team who also benefits from aurora veil. Fini is the obligatory defogger if running volc, and I seem to be able to get rid of rocks with fini more reliably on this team than other spinners/defoggers. Plus the misty terrain supports the rest of the team well.

Generally when playing this team, you lead ninetails and get up veil without sacking it if possible. If there is danger itll get OHKOd i usually switch out. You then try to take some KOs with lando, scizor, or greninja and generally soften threats up. Even 1 spike can win games so greninja is specs spikes. Especially versus stall. If veil is up in the early game often people just get destroyed by greninja.

You hold on to ninetails until the end game, and try to get veil up once more when you feel volcarona can come out.

Good news is stall isnt good against this team because encore + hail damage + spikes + taunt fini together kinda overwhelms it!

Problems

Your only answer to ferrothorn is volcarona itself. Which can be problematic if ferrothorn has rocks and you find it hard to defog in front of their team right away.

Zard Y must be played around carefully. It can 6-0 if you arent careful. I suggest getting up rocks and then using ninetails to remove the sun and sacking it if necessary so you can get greninja in to KO after rocks damage. Suicide aurora veil is a better option if you can manage because it makes fire blast a hell of a lot easier to deal with.

Other options that I use sometimes:

Mega Mawile.

50/50 (Mawile-Mega) @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Depends on your taste. Both steel types who add priority to the team. I really think most of you will prefer to use mawile on this team if you choose to use it, but my personal taste is Scizor. You can put defog on scizor as well and run scarf keldeo over fini. But then you lose easier to tapus who have terrain advantage you cant erase, and i think fini is a better defogger right now. Im just giving options here.

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Closing out this round, meant to do this two days ago but caught up in irl, so time to vote!:

Team 1

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Encore

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Taunt

Magearna @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Fly

I've seen the robopoke's RMT and found it very interesting the sets fast CM Fini and Bulky Double Dance Magearna.
A quick Taunt is as useful against solid Defog mon as Zapdos and Mew, helping to prevent Rocks and Aurora Veil from being withdrawn. Tapu Fini still helps with Misty Terrain to prevent status in Magearna and Charizard X. Also, anti Smeargle lead.
Anything can replace HP Fire on 9tales-A set. Moonblast, HP Ground or even Hail if the weather change.
Bulky Magearna with Aurora Veil support can easily setup, a Pokémon that forces many switchs, still abusing Leftovers to repair Hail damage or recovering HP after the end of Hail.
I found a lead needed for hazard control and Excadrill is still the best choice.
Then as I still had a free Mega and Z slot, I added two physical sweepers.
Mega Charizard X can take advantage of good natural bulky + Aurora Veil for DD, while still an answer to Volcarona and Charizard Y. (Just not using Dragon Claw with Misty Terrain.) While Landorus-T still has Intimidate to be able to setup with more safety.

Ok, no high ladder, but against two standarts and solids teams.
Excadrill just Rocks and Ninetales-A setup Aurora Veil. Magearna safely setup and sweep.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593574435
Even without Rocks, Magearna setup and sweep.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593567702

Team 2

give the gays what they want (Ninetales-Alola) @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]

scary shrimp (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

GHOST (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang

i dream of genie (Thundurus) (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Prankster
Hasty Nature
- Fly
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

free hugs (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

my little brony (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge

Alolan Ninetales is obviously the premiere Aurora Veil setter in OU so I went with a set that's pretty simple: Encore to shut down set-up sweepers, Freeze-Dry STAB, Aurora Veil with Light Clay as held item for 8 turns of the defensive buff and I found Hidden Power Fire to be surprisingly useful in smacking the typical switch-ins in Skarmory and Ferrothorn very hard. I settled on Mega Gyarados with a standard set because Aurora Veil makes it even easier for this bulky mon to set up and it has natural defensive synergy with A-Ninetales.

I then added Alolan Marowak because it makes a formidable pair with Mega Gyarados as they cover each other almost perfectly defensively and provides rocks. A-Marowak excels at punching holes through the bulky grass and steel types that M-Gyarados struggles with like Tangrowth and Magearna. I added Thundurus for a flying-type check and because it pressures really bulky water types like Tapi Fini and Toxapex while luring and OHKO-ing defensive Mega Venusaur with its Supersonic Skystrike.

The last two mons are pretty self explanatory. Ferrothorn provides a check to mons like Tapu Lele and Dragon Dance Zygarde and also provides Spikes support. Then Keldeo is there to check Greninja and revenge Volcarona.

Team 3

EVs: 156 HP / 100 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Encore
- Safeguard

Zygarde @ Yache Berry
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Toxic
- Thousand Arrows

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Shift Gear

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile

Mew @ Expert Belt
Ability: Synchronize
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Going to preface this by saying that I am by no means an expert at team building, but it is the aspect of competitive Pokemon that I enjoy the most. So here I present my attempt at Aurora Veils offense.

I felt the best play-style to maximize Aurora Veils potential is Hyper Offense, and thus split the roles into

Lead - Alolan Ninetales
Breaker 1 - Zygarde
Breaker 2 - Heracross-Mega
Sweeper- SG Magearna
Glue - Mew
Cleaner - Ash Greninja

However, the roles are rather flexible, as in some games, Ash- Greninja can function as a breaker if itG can transform early on, and Zygarde can become a sweeper, and Magearna the cleaner.

Ninetales EVs is to maximize bulk while always OHKO-ing standard defensive Pelipper on rain 100% with Freeze Dry. You may have noticed Safeguard there, and it's role is

1. To make it easier to switch into Wisps for Heracross when facing stall
2. Because HP Fire was the original, but never ended up clicking it.

Safeguard seemed like a fun gimmick, and has come in handy before, although the main move you will be clicking is always Freeze Dry. Encore is to prevent you from becoming total set-up fodder. It also helps potentially vs Smeargle leads, who might just spore turn 1, which can be totally negated with Safeguard. This can in turn make smeargle into complete set-up fodder.

I next decided to partner with Zygarde, because opposing Sun and Sand teams can easily make Ninetales deadweight by having slower weather. In these cases, I will generally lead with Zygarde, since it feasts on T-Tar and Char-Y, and thanks to Yache, doesn't have to fear the Ice Beam/Punch/HP Ice (first time at least).

Yache Berry also comes in handy vs things like lead Protean Greninja, who think they can gunk shot my Ninetales, and HP Ice Tapu Koko (dazzling gleam shouldn't OHKO either). When I see these mons, I will usually also lead Zygarde to get off damage with T-Arrows.

The set is very standard, Max attack T-Arrows as the main spammable move, DD to get enough power to cripple something for a future teammate sweep.

I have toxic, since I don't run Ice Beam on Magearna, so this can slowly wittle down opposing Zygarde without locking myself into Outrage, Tangrowth, and Lando-T. Also annoys Tapu Bulu, but less so thanks to Grassy Terrain.

My second breaker is Mega-Heracross. This mon is my favorite mega, and it's been that way since I first started playing XY. That natural bulk is even more terrifying under Aurora Veil, and it serves as my main win-con against stall and slower bulkier teams. It's generally able to get 1 or 2 kills under screens, and its also my main way of eating up bulky grass types which are this teams main enemy. However, getting it in on a bulky grass basically can equate to one dead mon on the other team. If you're lucky and can get a safeguard up, you can be sort of reckless with Heracross, at least throwing it into a scald won't be bad.

I made the EVs to outspeed 16 Speed defensive Landorus-T, but you can play around with max speed if you feel the need to. I appreciate the bulk though, and the extra attack that adamant gives, but 252 Jolly is an option. This mon is also my main answer to opposing Zygardes, which fail to even tickle it if screens are up, and they have to lock themselves into Outrage, which then gives Magearna time to set up if they are sufficiently weakened. It's also my only ground resist whoops.

Nothing to say about Magearna other than the fact it snowballs so damn quickly, and that you better pray you have enough bulk to not get 2HKO'd. It can SG on so many things, and is my main Greninja and Tapu Lele check which would otherwise destroy this team (0 switch ins to Ash ninja). I chose Flash Cannon over Ice Beam because I felt that bulkier grounds could be wittled away by combined power of Zygarde and Heracross, and also because unaware Clefable took pitiful damage from Heracross. Also, having that STAB for neutral hits is very nice. Might play around with Corkscrew Crash over All Out Pummeling for z-move to better answer grass types.

The Mew set is really fun and probably one of my favorite sets I've played with. The original idea was that I needed SR somewhere, but didn't want use Landorus-T. One probably could use defensive Lando-T as a good pivot, but so far Mew has not dissapointed. It lures in Fini, Scizor, Ferrothron, sometimes Lando-T, and even Tangrowth, and bonks each and every one of them with a coverage.

Finally, Ash-ninja does what it does best, and is a nightmare against opposing offensive teams. Against balanced teams, if I can break past the defensive backbones with Heracross, the rest is usually easily handled by Water Shruiken spam.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594334128 Heracross has fun, lol at the salt even though he haxed me

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594395970 Mew and Greninja punch enough holes

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594401699 Opposing Aurora Veils

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594311447 Yache Berry against opposing T-tar

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594309087 Yache beats some weird Icium-Z victini

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594286610 Heracross winning, the miss at end didn't matter since he wasn't transformed yet, would have done max 40% under screens.

Team 4

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Hail
- Aurora Veil
- Spikes
- Ice Beam

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry
- Charm

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Team 5

Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Aurora Veil
- Encore

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Psychic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Thousand Arrows
- Iron Tail
- Extreme Speed

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Trick

This team was expertly crafted by me after some time, it's extremely simple and very dangerous against common BOs. Set up Aurora Veil with A-Ninetales, then proceed to go into your 2 breakers who can screw up the early game for opponents and put them at a disadvantage. As an AV Tangrowth connoisseur, I'm fully aware of +3 Manaphy's inability to kill with Ice Beam. Rather than wasting a Z-move, I've opted for Blizzard instead of Ice Beam in order to get a better roll to kill out of Hail, and a kill under it. CB Zygarde is self explanatory, with its strength, priority, typing, and ability to bait out Pokemon such as Lando-T, which is food for Manaphy. Iron Tail gets a KO on Bulu should it ever come in. Ferrothorn is inspired from Ferrothorn's conception on some BW weather teams where it acted as a pivot that could just get up hazards quickly against Pokemon such as Latios, and it is fully relevant in this sense on the team, as well as forming a decent core with Manaphy and Zygarde. It deals with Ash-Gren to some degree as well, although this is pre-evolution and it cannot really beat it, but it usually can stall its evolution long enough to get into a winning position with my other Pokemon. Scarf Latios is here to temporarily take hits from Pokemon such as Keldeo, while also preventing Pokemon such as Magearna or other setup sweepers from having their way with my team by virtue of Thunder Wave and Trick. Outspeeding Pokemon such as Ash-Gren and Tapu Koko is also a bonus to temporarily return momentum to the team. Finally, SG-Z Magearna rounds off the team by acting as the lategame sweeper, and under screens it gets ample time to setup, and due to the catastrophic damage that Manaphy and Zygarde ought to have caused to the opponent's team, the opponent shouldn't be able to deal with this. The team's main draw is setting up with Manaphy early and surprising Lando-Tangrowth cores with Blizzard, and in general pressuring the opponent such that they cannot get up the hazards that would hinder A-Ninetales coming in to setup Aurora Veil another time. Most standard teams either have to play very well to avoid being at a huge disadvantage in the early game, or have above average matchup. The lead matchup is also crucial in some aspects, but in general the teams cohesion has, in my experience, managed to make setting up Aurora Veil rather straightforward.

Team 6

Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Encore
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 32 Def/ 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Conversion
- Recover
- Discharge

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

Magearna @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

I started this team around Aurora Veil + Porygon-Z which were two things I had never used before. I originally had freeze-dry on Ninetales, but Icy Wind allows you to slow down Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Keldeo and Ash- Greninja. Encore prevents Ninetales from being setup fodder and gives opportunities for teammates to set up. Moonblast was used over Hidden Power because I have other mons for Ferrothorn and Scizor, and Moonblast lets you 2HKO Tyranitar. Porygon-Z is incredibly scary behind screens as traditional revenge killers such as Gengar and Keldeo don't do much damage after Z-Conversion. I decided on the standard moveset for it, but I felt that max Speed Timid was redundant, so I made it faster than Mega Manectric after boosting. The rest of the EV's were dumped into Defense to soften rolls. Mega Charizard X was added for its ability to set up on Charizard Y which was a problem for Ninetales, and provides a way to beat Scizor and Ferrothorn. Next, Dugtrio was added mainly to trap Tyranitar but also for stuff like Unaware Clefable and Toxapex. I needed a Stealth rocker, so I just put rocks on Dugtrio. Double Dance Magearna is the last wincon, and sets up on stuff like Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Latios, and opposing Magearna. Latias was added for healing wish, so you can revive a weakened something to sweep again. Overall a fun team that has a lot of stuff I've never used before.

Team 7

Elsa (Ninetales-Alola) (F) @ Light Clay
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Encore
- Hypnosis
- Aurora Veil

setup queen (Volcarona) (F) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance

Mah Smogon (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

banned soon (Greninja-Ash) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

i miss metagross (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 128 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost
- Swords Dance

tapu protec (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

I got the idea because Veil + volcarona is just too good.

The Ninetales set is pretty standard except I like hypnosis for when im trying to sack ninetales anyway and want a chance at crippling a mon. I found I was not using moonblast or toxic or any of its other possible moves if I put them in that slot. Hypnosis has won me games. Freezedry doesnt KO defensive landorus at 0 SPA so I run blizzard to punish the huge amount of dumbasses who think they can stay in and rocks in while I get up veil or something.

Volcarona is the star of this team. It REALLY appreciates veil and misty terrain support, letting it both set up safely and not die if it misses an OHKO. Psychium Z is to push past pex and venusaur which this team otherwise struggles with. Fiery Dance over fire blast because inaccurate moves are the bane of my existence.

Volcarona behind veil can take a specs Keldeo scald! It can live specs greninja hydro pump behind veil, only if it hasnt gotten off Ash form yet. 3HKO from landorus EQ. There are many more 2HKOs and OHKOs it avoids under veil, allowing you to safely quiver dance on more pokemon.

The point of this team is to support volc in the lategame.

Greninja and lando can take care of heatran. Scizor is a secondary set up sweeper for this team who also benefits from aurora veil. Fini is the obligatory defogger if running volc, and I seem to be able to get rid of rocks with fini more reliably on this team than other spinners/defoggers. Plus the misty terrain supports the rest of the team well.

Generally when playing this team, you lead ninetails and get up veil without sacking it if possible. If there is danger itll get OHKOd i usually switch out. You then try to take some KOs with lando, scizor, or greninja and generally soften threats up. Even 1 spike can win games so greninja is specs spikes. Especially versus stall. If veil is up in the early game often people just get destroyed by greninja.

You hold on to ninetails until the end game, and try to get veil up once more when you feel volcarona can come out.

Good news is stall isnt good against this team because encore + hail damage + spikes + taunt fini together kinda overwhelms it!

Problems

Your only answer to ferrothorn is volcarona itself. Which can be problematic if ferrothorn has rocks and you find it hard to defog in front of their team right away.

Zard Y must be played around carefully. It can 6-0 if you arent careful. I suggest getting up rocks and then using ninetails to remove the sun and sacking it if necessary so you can get greninja in to KO after rocks damage. Suicide aurora veil is a better option if you can manage because it makes fire blast a hell of a lot easier to deal with.

Other options that I use sometimes:

Mega Mawile.

50/50 (Mawile-Mega) @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Depends on your taste. Both steel types who add priority to the team. I really think most of you will prefer to use mawile on this team if you choose to use it, but my personal taste is Scizor. You can put defog on scizor as well and run scarf keldeo over fini. But then you lose easier to tapus who have terrain advantage you cant erase, and i think fini is a better defogger right now. Im just giving options here.

Votong round ends on Saturday at 1:00 PM EST!

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Team6 - "I originally had freeze-dry on Ninetales, but Icy Wind allows you to slow down Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Keldeo and Ash- Greninja" -> freeze dry is supereffective against water man ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)