Resource SM RU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

phantom

Banned deucer.
To add on: unaware users are commonplace on stall nowadays and Slurpuff can't break through those at all. So it's effectively useless versus those teams, unless you're able to lure the Unaware mon somehow. There's also the fact that Pokemon like Bronzong, Escavalier, and Doublade are fairly strong checks to it on other teams and stop it even if it sets up. It's also more feasible to revenge kill Slurpuff this gen with Sand Rush Stoutland and Chlorophyll Venusaur, and of course, if you're not stall, the best way to stop Slurpuff is to not let it set up, which is pretty easy for offensive teams in current RU. So to put it simply: it's very unlikely that Slurpuff will get banned this gen and if anything, it kind of struggles a lot in in the current meta.

Vikavolt - meh. For the most part, you're better off using either Rotom-C or Rotom-H, who offer better Speed and arguably better typing. Vikavolt does have more raw power, although it's let down by its low Speed.

Golisopod - Decent, but nothing spectacular. Hits hard, has good typing and good overall bulk, although it could do with being faster. Emergency Exit's not a great ability. It's best set IMO is an all out attacker set using First Impression, Liquidation, Aqua Jet, and either Leech Life or Sucker Punch, using either Insect Plate or Sitrus Berry as the item. Viable, but I think you're better off with Heracross and Durant.

Drampa - Good wallbreaker, although it's extremely slow and not that bulky. Huge special attack with a massive movepool lets you do a lot of damage. Said movepool lets it break through Assault Vest Escavalier, Bronzong and Diancie, Pokémon Dragalge struggles with. Right now I'd say its best set was Choice Specs with Draco Meteor, Hyper Voice, Fire Blast and Surf (strong STAB, reliable STAB, coverage on Steel types and coverage on Diancie, respectively). You could also use Life Orb instead and drop Surf for Roost if you'd prefer sustainability and the freedom to switch moves.

Crabominable - It sucks. It's extremely slow, not that bulky and while Drampa at least has useful resistances, Crabominable can't even boast that. Sneasel and Mega Glalie are better Ice-types; Heracross, Pangoro and Virizion are better Fighting types. There is no reason to use this thing
Thanks for the reply !

I was expecting Goli and Drampa to fair off better here and no surprise for Crabominable and it's such a waste since Ice/Fighting is such a good typing offensively.

Also, forgot to add three more mons to the initial question, those being Toucannon, Sandslash (Alola) and Wishiwashi. Toucannon is probably bad, but I'm curious about the other two.

Honestly, none of those three are great.

Toucannon - as a physical Flying type, Honchkrow and Braviary are superior. They both offer better Speed, and Honchkrow boasts better typing. The only niche it really has is Skill Link Bullet Seed to hit Rhyperior hard.

Sandslash-A. Don't use this thing. While it's not as bad as Crabominable, it's still not a good Pokémon to use. Bulky Water-types shut it down completely, and while it has some good resistances like Normal, Flying and Psychic it still has 2 X4 weaknesses to common Fire and Fighting moves. If you want an offensive Ice type, use Sneasel or Mega Glalie. If you want an offensive Steel-type, use Escavalier or Durant.

Wishiwashi. Eww no. Terrible Speed, low HP undermines its good defenses, and it has pretty much no movepool. There are so many better Water-types you could use.

Toucannon has somewhat of a nice with Beak Blast, but that's probably not reason enough to use it. Wishiwashi is trash, but you could probably make use of it on a Trick Room team as it's got great bulk, great offences and hardly anything outslows it.

On the other hand, I want to give some love to Snowslash, the King of Hail. Given the right sort of support - something to take out fat Waters and Doublade, sufficient chip on spooky Fire/Fighting-types, decent Hail setter - it can be a really effective late game sweeper. I know Hail isn't objectively the best weather (and don't even think about using it on a non-hail team), but I've used it pretty successfully for most of Gen 7 RU and it's really good fun.

Toucannon has somewhat of a nice with Beak Blast, but that's probably not reason enough to use it. Wishiwashi is trash, but you could probably make use of it on a Trick Room team as it's got great bulk, great offences and hardly anything outslows it.

On the other hand, I want to give some love to Snowslash, the King of Hail. Given the right sort of support - something to take out fat Waters and Doublade, sufficient chip on spooky Fire/Fighting-types, decent Hail setter - it can be a really effective late game sweeper. I know Hail isn't objectively the best weather (and don't even think about using it on a non-hail team), but I've used it pretty successfully for most of Gen 7 RU and it's really good fun.
Trick Room itself is a rathet poor playstyle due to how you can comfortably manage to either stall it out or pressure it offensively in the current metagame.

Hail is objectively the worst weather playstyle as it honestly benefits such a minute amount of Pokemon and said abusers require too much support to work efficiently. Ice and Steel STAB coming from something like A-Slash is nothing too impressive honestly, considering your only sort of passable coverage is unboosted EQ in most cases.

Not really here to convince anyone of the viability of Snowslash or Hail in general (the more people who don't take my teams seriously the better as far as I'm concerned), but I have a question.

How do you beat a Doublade/Umbreon core? The only answer I can think (Hoopa-U) is not yet legal in RU, so I'm kinda stuck.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pangoro also beats that core singlehandlely. Kommo-O also fares with that core really well. Rotom-Heat and Cut + offensive pressure can also pressure that core cause umbreon despises getting tricked and from there it is easier to take advantage of.

Fast Taunt Chesnaught can wall both of them all day and set up spikes on them and use leech seed to wear them down. Honchkrow can do massive damage to umbreon with superpower (can ohko with rocks) and beat doublade 1v1 unless you get really unlucky with sucker punch 50/50s. And you can use zoroark in disguise to lure doublade and kill it with dark pulse/flamethrower.

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't wanna bring it up on NP because im not very good at making big posts but dont you guys think zoroark might be broken? Especially with all the fighters that are super good right now i can easily see it doing what it did in xy but a lot better

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Can someone post a sm ru replays thread thanks. We could also make it friendly to past gens with the classics coming up shoutouts uu thread :3

Can someone post a sm ru replays thread thanks. We could also make it friendly to past gens with the classics coming up shoutouts uu thread :3
either bother specificially bother someone to do it or host it yourself, bub 0w0

How close is the end of the RU beta?
Server got fried, so march stats couldnt be retreived. There was plan to just use some sort of samples to determine official stage 1 of ru, but not too keen myself on the subject otherwise

Is Dodtrio any good? It is like a mini-Staraptor with SD, Jump Kick, Brave Bird, and Return. I know Dodtrio doesn't hit as hard, but it has 110 speed tier. As such, is Dodtrio any good in RU, and if not, what should I use instead? (because Talonflame is banned).

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Dodrio is pretty unique and I'm sure you'd be able to get some measure of use out of it compared to almost every other pokemon not currently ranked on the VR, but it's not particularly amazing. Knock Off is pretty important on it in the current metagame thanks to the presence of Doublade, which limits it's ability to run moves that might otherwise be useful, such as Quick Attack or Pursuit. From experience with it, it's just okay at best.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
To expand a bit more on Dodrio, it is an fairly decent Pokemon but other sets besides Band are hard to pull off. Like SD sounds good on paper but then you see that it lacks the survivability and is far too frail to effectively use it.

Banded however gives Dodrio notable immedate power and with the Knock off and Jump Kick coverage it can easily put a dent on basically every one of its checks with proper prediction. So yeah, use a banded set with like Knock off, brave bird, jump kick, return/quick attack.

Thats the set that has been working the best from my experience.

Is torrent blastoise any good over rain dish? In pokemon moon I received a 6 perfect iv modest squirtle that unfortunately has torrent (bred with a 5 perfect iv modest rain dish lv 100 blastoise that I transferred over from pokemon alpha sapphire).

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is torrent blastoise any good over rain dish? In pokemon moon I received a 6 perfect iv modest squirtle that unfortunately has torrent (bred with a 5 perfect iv modest rain dish lv 100 blastoise that I transferred over from pokemon alpha sapphire).
In RU Torrent has more application than Rain Dish does, as Drizzle is banned, and rain teams, while decent, are not that common. In this case I'd say the nature is more of a hinderance for Blastoise in RU (typically bold), but Modest 6 IV is probably a good choice for mega Blastoise if you're into UU.

In RU Torrent has more application than Rain Dish does, as Drizzle is banned, and rain teams, while decent, are not that common. In this case I'd say the nature is more of a hinderance for Blastoise in RU (typically bold), but Modest 6 IV is probably a good choice for mega Blastoise if you're into UU.
I also got water spout, dragon pulse, and aura sphere as egg moves for it because I bred with a clawitzer in pokemon x and the blastoise I bred with had those same moves. I understand why rain dish might be useless but is there a good reason to use torrent on a modest blastoise in uu?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)