SM Underused Ladder Tournament 2017 - Won by Kushalos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It has come to our attention that user Highways has broken the rules of our tournament by overtly begging for a win while on the ladder.

Due to this indisputable evidence, we have decided to ban him from the tournament. The next user will take his place accordingly.

This decision was reached with TD confirmation, and further action may be taken from this point. For future reference, never ask for a win on a Ladder Tour - it ruins the integrity of the tour and prevents actual competition from taking place.

This thread will be locked for about 24 hours and I will release playoffs tomorrow.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Stage Two
At the end of the laddering stage (stage one), the playoffs will start with the sixteen top ladder players of the month. Playoff rank is based on two factors: (1) The Winners of each week; (2) The Rank of each players. This means that the winners of each week will automatically be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th depending on rank. The rest of the players will be ranked accordingly. Playoff seeding is based on this model; Rank 1 will face Rank 16; Rank 2 will face Rank 15, etc.

The top 4 users are the respective Division (Week) Leaders ranked in order of ELO.

The remaining 12 users are ranking in order of ELO
  1. playerW17 ; ult gcmademedothis --- 1694
  2. Christo; ULT Christo! ----------------- 1668
  3. Manipulative; ULT Manip ------------- 1666
  4. Pearl; ULTRA MARSHALL -------------- 1652
  5. Bushtush; ULT Bushtush ------------- 1681
  6. Kushalos; ult ass jj plattel ------------ 1670
  7. Arifeen; ULT Feen --------------------- 1664
  8. Sacri'; ULT Sac Riz ---------------------1661
  9. Accelgor; ult adderl ------------------- 1651
  10. Shiba; ultra woof ---------------------- 1648
  11. Welli0u; ULT we ----------------------- 1633
  12. Aquadext; ULT Aquadext -------------- 1630
  13. Yifeng (Bob the Bro); ULT Bob -------- 1623
  14. Finding True Love; ULT True Love ---- 1622
  15. PokeTCG gamer1288; ULT PokeTCG -- 1622
  16. CBU; ULT CBU -------------------------- 1621
Stage Two Matchups:

Rank 1 playerW17 vs Rank 16 CBU
Rank 2 Christo vs Rank 15 PokeTCG gamer1288
Rank 3 Manipulative vs Rank 14 Finding True Love
Rank 4 Pearl vs Rank 13 Yifeng
Rank 5 Bushtush vs Rank 12 Aquadext
Rank 6 Kushalos vs Rank 11 Welli0u
Rank 7 Arifeen vs Rank 10 Shiba
Rank 8 Sacri' vs Rank 9 Accelgor

Deadline: Sunday March 12th @ 11:59pm EST

good luck c: feel free to post in this thread again.

(can replays be mandatory so the UU community can watch and learn from high quality low stake battles!!)

Reactions: Ark

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
playerW17 vs CBU - Player only uses 1 playstyle and the last time I've seen CBU trying to adapt to it the result was quite disastrous. I'm talking stall, by the way. My heart says CBU though :(
Christo vs PokeTCG gamer1288 - Christo is the better player but TCG's fucked up sense of "innovation" could potentially even this out.
Manipulative vs Finding True Love - Manipulative is the better player and FTL doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would make new teams for this, while Manipulative has tournament and building experience that will give him a match up edge.
Bushtush vs Aquadext - An ABR-slaying meme in OU, but a legitimate threat in UU. Bushtush has a slight skill edge in my opinion, but maybe the time Aquadext has been putting into SM UU will pay off? A set I will try not to miss for sure.
Kushalos vs Welli0u - Kushalos is gonna win this tournament. The combination of (above) average plays and ungodly sets for what would otherwise be good Pokemon can only be beaten by very few people. Glad to see new players around these parts though, especially an SPL level OU player!
Arifeen vs Shiba - Although I still haven't figured out who he gets teams from, Arifeen is the better player in this Snorlax-filled set, and I expect him to bring the W to Bangla-
Sacri' vs Accelgor - This is getting tiring to say and probably even more tiring to read, but Accel is the better player and I think Sacri' gets quite one dimensional with his teams at times, which is exploitable in this kind of environment.

Attempted to schedule with Bob, but it might be hard to get this done in a timely manner due to the timezone difference, so excuse us (especially me for being a John) in advance! Really looking forward to it :)

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Sacri' is gonna win the whole thing
oui oui
Rooting also for my friend Feenino

Last edited:

Lycans

Bebe's my bae
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
gl everyone I hope see good matches

playerW17 vs CBU

Christo
vs PokeTCG gamer1288 : Christo has more experience and is a very solid player.

Manipulative
vs Finding True Love : This match will be interesting I think Mani will win because he managed to get into the top easily

Pearl
vs Yifeng: Cute Person

Bushtush vs Aquadext

Kushalos
vs Welli0u: idk How Welli0u plays UU but Kushalos has solid builds

Arifeen vs Shiba

Sacri'
vs Accelgor

playerW17 vs CBU - i think the former has a very strong building sense

Christo vs PokeTCG gamer1288 - please understand christo, i respect u a ton but i can't in good conscious not support someone with a username like this.

Manipulative vs Finding True Love - idt i've actually seen much the former, personally, tho i have seen a fair share of win posts crediting him to their teams. while i didn't think those teams were hugely creative, they were effective enough, which is all i can go for.

Pearl vs Yifeng - i need to keep my friends close so that i can stay washed up for years to come and still get drafted for w.e team tours i want to join

Bushtush vs Aquadext - this feels like the type of environment ad would really put in for, though idt i've seen enough from bushtush in uu to give a totally fair assessment haha. will be interesting all the same

Kushalos vs Welli0u - the latter has one of my fave usernames on the cite, but now he isn't ou??? idk man, can't cosign this sea change. kush will just get lucky to supplement any and all misplays regardless.

Arifeen vs Shiba - born under the same star as kushalos, he'll just luck out to neutralize the misplays he'll make off lack of proper tier knowledge, etc. from what i've observed shiba is apparently a lucky boy too, but arifeen is on another plane i think.

Sacri' vs Accelgor - for my money, the closest set. think sacri's got a higher work rate to accelgor's more diverse building, and i would figure that sways slightly in the formers' favour, but it's anybody's set.

try to play on the weekend, i need content

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
playerW17 vs CBU: playerW17's play has impressed me more than CBU's. I'm interested to see whether he'll pull out a style other than stall. If playerW17 does not adapt correctly, CBU has a very good chance of winning this matchup by simply loading up on breakers (that said, CBU's stall matchup has historically been poor). If it comes down to a display of raw skill in a neutral matchup, playerW17 takes it. Otherwise, I think the winner will be whichever player exploits his opponent's builds most effectively.

Christo vs PokeTCG gamer1288: Christo has much more high-level tournament experience than PokeTCG gamer1288. He's better at building for, preparing for, and executing during important games. That said, PokeTCG gamer1288 performed well in both the most recent UU Open and the first UU Majors, so he has a chance to take the match. I think his best bet is staying away from funky DTA builds (although cheesing one game in a best of three series might be enough) and bringing solid teams that he's comfortable using. If Christo decides to take this set seriously, from the preparation stage through the execution stage, I think he'll win decisively.

Manipulative vs Finding True Love: Manipulative has posted a much better tournament record over the course of his career than Finding True Love, who has never impressed me as either a builder or a player. Manipulative may have taken a brief hiatus during UU Alpha/early Beta, but he doesn't seem to be rusty anymore. Manipulative is the better player in a neutral matchup, the more creative and effective builder, and the more experienced tournament player. He should take this set without much trouble.

Pearl vs Yifeng: This is probably the most interesting matchup this round. Both players are skilled, creative, and experienced, but Pearl is the one with more recent high-level tour experience. I expect to see a lot of innovative builds during the set. I think that Pearl is the better player, but he also has an anime avatar, which lowers his effectiveness enough that the games should be very close.

Bushtush vs Aquadext: Aquadext is underrated right now and has been putting a lot of effort into learning SUMO UU. I think that his experience building in this meta will give him an edge over Bushtush, who hasn't been as openly involved in UU recently. That said, Bushtush is a competent player himself, so I anticipate a close match.

Kushalos vs Welli0u: I have literally never seen Welli0u play, so I can't make any kind of judgement about this match. I'd essentially be predicting blindly. That said, I'm rooting for Kushalos.

Arifeen vs Shiba: Both players suck. Can we remove them and replace them with people worth watching? In all seriousness, both are competent players, so this should be a good match. I don't think either Shiba or Arifeen are particularly at experienced building in this meta and have mostly gotten teams from other sources, so the winner depends on which of them has the better support structure. I'm supporting Shiba since he's my "tutor" (assuming that what he did qualifies as tutoring)... Actually, forget everything I've said above, except the first two sentences. Both of them are some of the luckiest players I've ever seen, so it'll come down to which one of them the RNG decides to favor more.

Sacri' vs Accelgor: This is the other highlight match of the round. Accelgor got the better of Sacri' the last time they faced off in a tournament setting (LTPL), and I think he has more experience preparing for high-level matches, but this set will be very, very close and could easily swing the other way. Sacri' has been putting more effort into learning SUMO UU, and the familiarity with the meta that confers is a valuable advantage, but Accelgor is stronger in a neutral matchup and is better at coming up with weird tech that can change the course of a tournament match, even if he's not as experienced at building and playing SUMO UU as Sacri' is. I think a powerful case could be made for either player winning this one. It will depend on whether Accelgor can exploit Sacri's common build patterns or whether Sacri' can adapt well enough to prevent that.

Last edited:
playerW17 vs CBU: idk who playerw17 is so i had to look up some replays. saw a bunch of stall and like 1 ho which should make this an interesting game because players who tend to spam stall on ladder usually have difficulty adjusting to the different kind of preparation and play required in the tour scene. With that being said, i favor playerw17 in this match up because cbu has never really impressed me and isnt very good at prepping either

Christo vs PokeTCG gamer1288: christo is the better player and builder, simple as that. He has tons of tour experience and is playing in spl now which should speak to his ability to play under pressure. However, poketcg is no slouch. He had a strong showing in uu majors making it to playoffs to eventually getting knocked out by stallion. This should be a nice one but I still expect christo to win.

Manipulative vs Finding True Love: Manipulative plays better, builds better, and has more experience in a tour setting than FTL. Idk much about ftl tho to make a fair judgement but I'll still go with manip because that guys good.

Pearl vs Yifeng: yifeng is good but pearl should win this handily with his consistent playing and creative teams, nothing else to say really

Bushtush vs Aquadext: bushtush is a good player in general (dude slayed abr like 3 times) and idk how knowledgeable he is in uu. however, that lack of knowledge can definitely be made up through raw playing skill. aquadext isnt bad either and definitely knows how to win games / not choke on dicks. i think bushtush has the edge just because of the overall tournament experience but aquadext should put up a good fight.

Kushalos vs Welli0u: man everyone's sleeping on welliou because hes not a uu main. welliou's skill level is extremely high. ive been testing a lot w this dude for spl and he always gives me tough games because he knows how to play every match up and always finds an out. welliou just doesnt misplay unless hes playing at 2am honestly. it'll come down to the teams he brings

Arifeen vs Shiba: this should be a nice one but i just think arifeen is better. shiba is good in terms of making plays and pressuring the opponent but he still makes mistakes that cost him in the long run. arifeen knows exactly what to do from team preview and how to execute said game plan to secure a win. shuld be win for feen unless he brings some dogass

Sacri' vs Accelgor: 2 friends :(. In terms of skill, i cant really say whos better but these two guys played back in ltpl and accel made some nice aggressive plays early game which meant he could play safely the rest of the game to net the win. i think accel has a slight edge in terms of raw skill but sacri should put up a good fight if he polishes his plays in time.

Last edited:
Hello, I'd like to apologize and explain what happened.

If you're not aware of what happened, I asked ULT Hammy (hamhamhamham) the win the 1st March while playing for ULT.

1st March, more or less 6:30 PM on Brazil (4:30 PM EST), I was laddering to reach the top 4 of the UnderUsed Laddering Tournament. When I found a battle, I was against the user hamhamhamham, and he brought stall. I was desperate to qualify, not only because I had a lot of bad luck against low ladder players and top payers, but because I had to go in exactly five minutes. The previous days were stressful, because I had a lot of bad luck and I almost gave up, but the 28th February I did my comeback, and I was too ambitious to just give up. I'm pretty sure that you won't believe me, but I guess hamhamhamham and other people from a private room will understand what I'm talking about; yeah, hamhamhamham forfeited before me, just, before, me, I swear. When I did /forfeit, the following message appeared: "forfeit failed". I thought I did /forfeit twice, this happens sometimes, but no, hamhamhamham forfeited before me. I even said "fuck you hamhamhamham, haha. Just kidding man, good luck trying to qualify", because I REALLY thought I forfeited and I thought I lost my points (ELO), and right after I had to take a shower to go somewhere more or less 19:30 PM on Brazil. When I came back (I was afk), I did /rank and it showed I was at ~1665 ELO, and then I realized hamhamhamham forfeited before me. I was like "what the fuck did just happen", I even thought someone played on my account, but I remembered of "forfeit failed". I played another battle just to ensure I would qualify, and I won. This gave me a top 3 position, and I was between Sabella and Bushtush.

I'd like to apologize to hamhamhamham, who gave me the win, I'm glad you were not punished by this, to the TD team, I'm sorry for wasting your time, to King UU, I'm sorry for disappointing you, and my friend Accelgor, which was at the 5th position between the ULTs, I'm sorry and it wasn't my intention prevent you from qualifying, at least you're in playoffs right now. Good luck to the playoffs players, and sorry for my bad english, I wrote this quickly when the words came up on mind.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

playerW17 vs CBU - I'm not a big fan of CBU's teams and playerW17's builds are solid.
Christo vs PokeTCG gamer1288 - This is a close game if PokeTCG brings good squads instead of bad DTA squads, but I still think Christo has the advantage.
Manipulative vs Finding True Love - Manipulative plays really well and brings really solid teams, I don't think Finding True Love has a chance to win this battle.
Pearl vs Yifeng - Pearl's teams are always awesome, not to mention he does fire plays.
Bushtush vs Aquadext - This is a really close battle, as Bushtush plays well and agressively, but I'm giving the edge to mah boi Aquadext because he is a better builder and player overall.
Kushalos vs Welli0u - Can't really give an opinion about this game mostly because I never saw both playing SM UU(I remember playing Welli0u but it was a long time ago).
Arifeen vs Shiba - Arifeens' face when Shiba johns him to death.
Sacri' vs Accelgor - The hl game imo. Sacri' is always competitive and he builds really well, while Accelgor does, usually, the better decisions. I'm really excited to see them playing.

Last edited:

DrReuniclus

Smogon's full of bullies.
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
playerW17 vs CBU - Top 2 Alo Bliss offense player. Esteemed member of DTA clan never loses, they are the best players on pokemon showdown.
Christo vs PokeTCG gamer1288 - Christo may be an SPL level player but PokeTCG gamer1288 has an overall better name and is an esteemed and important member of DTA. DTA never loses as nobody can keep up with these top uu players.
Manipulative vs Finding True Love - DTA again not much more to say Manip may be a better player than me but even he can't slay DTA. Its too strong of a clan.
Pearl vs Yifeng - Pearl got snubbed he needs something going for him. He is also the number 2 DTA fan (behind me of course and won't admit it). Hope he does well with this.
Bushtush vs Aquadext - We randomly picked: aquadext go aquadext
Kushalos vs Welli0u - Kushalos is my friend :3
Arifeen vs Shiba - Even if I voted against Shiba for fun he would call me out on it so I can't justify rooting against him cause I don't want to hear him complain at me for the next 3 weeks. Sorry Arifeen.
Sacri' vs Accelgor - I cannot justify voting for Accelgor to win as he is the biggest snake to all of DTA. The former leader betrayed his clanmates to embarrass one of his fellow members in the np thread. There must have been a real uproar in the clan with their esteemed leader being the biggest traitor the underused community has ever seen. Easily the biggest scum I have ever seen in my whole internet career. You are a HORRIBLE person.

Last edited:

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Dr you're a fiend (cwl)

Going to try to play sacri sometime this weekend; I'll edit this post when we've scheduled to play at a specific time.

E: Playing Sacri sometime after 4 PM EST on Sunday.

Last edited:
playerW17 vs CBU - player is pretty much exclusively a stall player but he's still a solid player overall imo

Christo vs PokeTCG gamer1288 - poketcg gamer is pretty good from what ive seen when he runs normal sets, but christo is just more consistent

Manipulative vs Finding True Love - if ftl plays well he can win though. his team was well prepped vs stall which i honestly wouldnt peg manip to bring but i think if manip plays well then he can bring it back.

Pearl vs Yifeng - looking forward to this one, pearl is really strong in both building and playing but bob is not one to sleep on (thankfully he's moved past those stupid ass stall teams that he used in gen 6)

Bushtush vs Aquadext - the abr slayer is a pretty good player in uu, but so is aquadext and he has more experience in the tier

Kushalos vs Welli0u - man i am really looking forward to this one too. kush is a fucking madman and is probably my favorite sm uu builder right now, welli0u seems like he can take it if he prepares well though.

Arifeen vs Shiba - if arifeen wasn't a jojo fan i'd root for shiba, as feen's taste is his most redeemable quality

Sacri' vs Accelgor - can't really decide on this one, both are some of uu's best and both are very motivated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)