SM UU Type Cores (Week #8: Psychic, Fighting, Dark)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
approved by Hogg
stolen and adapted from Shiba (and Team Pokepals)
banner made by me :D

Type Cores are cores that originate from 3 types that work well together. They can be great offensively, or have really good defensive synergy. The goal of this project will be to have the community come up with cores for the types for that week, and hopefully discover new cores in the process. It'll be more focused on type affiliations and type synergy, and not so much on partners and threats. However, it would be nice if the Pokemon would partner to the best degree possible.

This project is meant to encourage innovation, so don't be afraid to innovate! If you do choose to use something that's odd or "non-meta," make sure you provide appropriate examples and calculations to explain it. The worst thing possible to do is use Gastrodon, for example, and not explain what it does. If you do not wish to use something uncommon, that is OK also.

Also, please do not use cores from the UU cores thread. You can use the thread to get inspiration, but it's completely against the rules to use any core from that thread. You most likely won't find something you're looking for anyway.

Don't pick on someone if their core is immaculate, simply guide them in the correct direction. The one thing I won't have in this thread is insulting and bullying, so please, none of that. In the event of insulting, I will disqualify you if you posted a core for that round. Repeated offenders will be banned from entering the voting phase entirely.

Now, for the procedure:

1. Each week I will post a type core. From there, the community will submit cores to this thread. Each core will require a reasonable explanation, and be sure to mention anything unusual in your EVs or move set. Each core must contain three Pokemon, unless otherwise specified.
  2. Days Monday through Friday will be the submitting phase, and Saturday and Sunday will be the voting phase.
  3. The core with the most votes will be archived in the hall of fame with the creators name, and any other editors.
  4. And, most of all, have fun!
In case anyone was wondering, this project will last 10 weeks, which is up until the release of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Let's make some great cores before the new meta!

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Hall of Fame
Hi everyone this is the Hall of Fame where we will record all of the past weeks in the program. The winner and the runner-up will be included with their team in this section. If there is an error, do not be afraid to tell me.

Last edited:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Week One is Fire + Water + Grass

Please remember to follow the rules and have fun! This is the first week, so I really hope this goes well. Shoutouts to the UU mods for putting up with my bull. Remember, if you need any inspiration, visit the cores thread. Don't be afraid to innovate either!

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
reserving sceptile-mega, suicune, chandelure

Neat little FWG core that I recently used before drops funnily enough; which could still put in work today. In terms of typing synergy, each member effectively covers each other weakness' aside from the extra liability of Ghost typing on Chandelure, which I will get into a little later with team options. Lacking resistances to only 6 types the rest of the team can effectively patch up any loose ends.

Lets start with the roles of each Pokemon and explain how they each complement each other quite nicely. M-Sceptile's main use is anti-offence: out speeding the majority of Pokemon bar M-Aerodactyl and Scarfers (above base 80 speed) there's also the added luxury of being faster than every new drop and dealing significant damage (aside from Jirachi & M-Altaria). Its able to adequately pressure Pokemon that can effectively disrupt a Calm Mind Suicune sweep too; such as: Rotom-W, Latias, and opposing bulky water types. On Sceptile, I personally enjoy using Sub + Leech Seed with hazard stack in order to force a lot of switches, but regular M-Sceptile functions nicely too. Suicune can act as pivot for this core and if the right conditions are met; is a deadly cleaner with Sub + CM + Protect. Taking on offensive threats such as M-Aerodactly is nice but not absolutely necessary (see: team options) and I've also used Suicune as an effective lure with CM + Z Blizzard + Tail Wind (Latias) taking on unprepared offensive builds at the same time. Lastly we have Chandelure, which I like to utilise as an anti-stall measure, Sub + CM Chandelure really hurts opposing Stall and provides another win condition for the team. Chandelure also doubles as a spin blocker and is quite threatening to opposing Fighting type Pokemon.

The core itself is quite susceptible to faster mons especially Dragon types and Pursuit Trappers such as Weavile & Alolan-Muk. Lack of hazard control can really hurt Chandelure and these three Pokemon don't have a good match up versus hazard controllers such as Empoleon & Mantine.

Effective team mates that come to mind should really be quite obvious (especially if you know what I've been running a lot of lately). Klefki can provide spike support and helps the core through the use of Thunder Wave, it's also able to switch safely into Pokemon such as Latias, Weavile and M-Aerodactyl - most of the time. Chandelure and Klefki have decent synergy too, where Chandelure can block spins and switch into Fire Type moves. Another decent team mate is Mamoswine which can set rocks as well as threaten almost every Defogger with its STAB move combination. I also like using Cobalion alongside this core since it's able to deter Dark type Pokemon and can act as an effective lure with Swords Dance + Coverage.
Suicune @ Icium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Blizzard
- Calm Mind
- Tailwind

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 152 Atk / 180 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 196 HP / 208 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Reflect

Cobalion @ Chople Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast

Last edited:

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
My Go-to Support-Support Core, originating in ORAS UU and carrying over to SuMo. This is a very "frustrating" core that some people find troublesome. It's got a bit of an aggressive side depending on what variation of the core you run.

The Core in Questions

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic / Haze
- Wish
- Protect / Haze / Knock Off
- Scald

Chesnaught @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overgrow
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch / Spikes
- Wood Hammer / Spikes

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

As you can see, it's a very mobile friendly core, allowing you to navigate freely quite often without the lose of momentum. Variations of this core (seen above in bold) allow for more "stall"-esq plays to be made, however I firmly believe as it stands above is truly what it places best as.

Effective Team Mates can depend on how you plan on playing. I'll provide the team this core originated on and give some thoughts on "newer" meta mons who I feel do very well with this core.

Original Team (Oras Stall / Managed to still be very viable until the most recent tier shift)
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Toxic
- Scald

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Tentacruel
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

As seen above, the core allows for very bulky teams to gain a little more edge. providing some nice sway when it comes to switches. However, with the current state of the meta, I've been tinkering with new additions to the team and below will provide a team-skeleton that I feels compliments the core very well by giving it some of that nostalgic Aggressive Support that later ORAS became known for.

"Updated" Team Composition

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald

Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer

Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Klefki @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Reflect

While it's not the best team in the world (that's not what this project is about anyways) It's a team that again, benefits greatly from the Bulky-Helm core. The Core itself is what primarily benefits both team examples, be it by providing a hard check to Physical sweepers (Rachi, Scizor, ect) or a by walling common Sp.Atkers. The Core provides sustain, damage, lock down, and status/hazard, which are all things that are beneficial to most if not every team.

Please, feel free to provide feedback! Thank you for your time reading, I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
My Go-to Support-Support Core, originating in ORAS UU and carrying over to SuMo. This is a very "frustrating" core that some people find troublesome. It's got a bit of an aggressive side depending on what variation of the core you run.

The Core in Questions

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
Calm Nature
- Toxic / Haze
- Wish
- Protect / Haze / Knock Off
- Scald

Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch / Spikes
- Wood Hammer / Spikes

Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

As you can see, it's a very mobile friendly core, allowing you to navigate freely quite often without the lose of momentum. Variations of this core (seen above in bold) allow for more "stall"-esq plays to be made, however I firmly believe as it stands above is truly what it places best as.

Effective Team Mates can depend on how you plan on playing. I'll provide the team this core originated on and give some thoughts on "newer" meta mons who I feel do very well with this core.

Original Team (Oras Stall / Managed to still be very viable until the most recent tier shift)
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Toxic
- Scald

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Tentacruel
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

As seen above, the core allows for very bulky teams to gain a little more edge. providing some nice sway when it comes to switches. However, with the current state of the meta, I've been tinkering with new additions to the team and below will provide a team-skeleton that I feels compliments the core very well by giving it some of that nostalgic Aggressive Support that later ORAS became known for.

"Updated" Team Composition

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald

Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer

Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Tailwind
- Hyper Voice
- Roost

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Klefki @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Reflect

While it's not the best team in the world (that's not what this project is about anyways) It's a team that again, benefits greatly from the Bulky-Helm core. The Core itself is what primarily benefits both team examples, be it by providing a hard check to Physical sweepers (Rachi, Scizor, ect) or a by walling common Sp.Atkers. The Core provides sustain, damage, lock down, and status/hazard, which are all things that are beneficial to most if not every team.

Please, feel free to provide feedback! Thank you for your time reading, I appreciate it!
Hey, so I notice you have two mega Pokemon, I'd recommend fixing that ASAP. Great post though! I look forward to seeing your core in the voting round!

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Hey, so I notice you have two mega Pokemon, I'd recommend fixing that ASAP. Great post though! I look forward to seeing your core in the voting round!

Thank you! I didn't catch that. To explain the mistake, I debated a few mons for the cleric role. I believe I just CP'd the wrong paste. I apologize.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Alright everyone, we've entered the voting phase! This round, we only have two cores, but both from great players!

Team One: Pokemon Sparrow (Mega Sceptile, Suicune, Chandelure)
Team Two: Tera Melos (Alomomola, Chesnaught Rotom-Heat)

Be sure to leave your votes, winner gets a spot in the hall of fame!

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Rotom W - Mega Aggron - Infernape

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Quick Analysis (since I forgot and don't think I have time for the full one I thought I posted)

This is a very powerful core, hands down no questions asked. With strong defensive and offensive coverage and incredible room to support a team or BE supported. For such a generic, almost cookie cutter core I'm glad it provides as much as it does without sacrificing any of the elements a UU core needs right now. Will provide more info later if anyone has questions, I just wanted to give a quick run down of the idea behind this core and felt if I went into huge details now (after voting) it'd be a bit unfair.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmm I think that Rotom W - Klefki - Infernape would be good, but I'm not very good at this, so if someone wants to use this just tell me cause I wanna see how it goes.

Last edited:
Mega Manectric, Scizor, Lucario.​

Wool Master Flex (Manectric-Mega) @ Manectite
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Grass]

Omar Swellington (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit / Knock Off

Ripcage Manwich (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch / Ice Punch
- Swords Dance​

Very straightforward offensive core that takes advantage of how well VoltTurn is doing at the moment and performs well against current threats such as Mega-Garde, Mega-Altaria, and Jirachi.

Mega-Manectric starts us off with a fast and effective offensive presence that pushes offense hard, its combination of speed and power helps put serious dents into offense and balance teams. The set is fairly standard with your choice of Overheat and Flamethrower for if you want to get a lot of Fire type damage done in one turn or sacrifice some power to allow Mega-Manectric to stay in as a threat after OHKOing a mon like Scizor. HP Grass and Ice are listed as options for whether you want to hit Swampert and Quagsire or Gliscor for super effective damage, personally I prefer HP Ice as I can't stand to even see Gliscor in team preview but that's entirely up to the player's preference. Static as an ability before mega evolving gives you a chance to come in on Scarf Jirachi's Iron Head and cripple it with a para, which would help clear a path for Lucario later on potentially.
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 384-452 (97.4 - 114.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Manectric-Mega Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 196 SpD Gliscor: 272-324 (77.2 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
CB Scizor comes in to offer some great resistances and make a very hard hitting VoltTurn core along with its ability to check a variety of threats with its powerful CB Bullet Punch. You have the choice of Pursuit and Knock Off for if you prefer trapping mons when you force them out, or if you like to take the items off of switch-ins that could cripple their effectiveness. Combined with Mega-Manectric it becomes far easier to threaten out plenty of mons and to put chip damage into key defensive swith-ins on your opponent's team especially if you keep hazards up. This in turn creates opportunities for our final mon to come in and potentially sweep.

Our last mon is a personal favorite of mine as a late game win-con. SD Lucario come in late on when many of the mons that can revenge kill it or that can take a hit and punish him back are no longer in any shape to take a hit. Lucario benefits from VoltTurn support from this core for the chip damage that puts these mons in compromising positions and from being able to potentially be put in free against mons he can set up on or threaten straight out. Adamant nature means that Lucario is able to 2HKO Quagsire every single time so long as rocks are up, along with giving it's priority moves some added power. Bullet Punch and Ice Punch are different options for the last attack slot. Bullet Punch takes care of threats like Mega-Gardevoir unboosted if you've got rocks up and Mega-Aerodactyl regardless of hazards after a boost. Ice Punch allows you to hit defensive Gliscor sets as you're outpaced by more offensive builds so I can't say I'm a fan of it myself. Inner Focus is chosen as an ability as it allows you to never get flinched by Scarf Jirachi's Iron Head, and as Lucario doesn't really have the bulk to come in on Dark attacks like Knock Off and lose his Life Orb or even want to risk coming in on a predicted Dark attack and then mistakenly eat something else to take a ton of damage and reduce his potential to sweep. Overall I'd consider him a very underrated threat at the moment as he's currently tier with mons like Tsareena and Florges at the moment, but definitely a threat to watch out for. Undoubtedly Lucario needs support to work, but with the chip damage flying around from how good VoltTurn currently is and the free switch-ins it can give him I think he's going to do well with how easy it will be to fit in the support he needs into a strong team comp.
252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 199-235 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir-Mega: 237-281 (85.5 - 101.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl-Mega: 382-452 (126.9 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Ice Punch vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 260-307 (73.8 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Infernape: 291-343 (99.3 - 117%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Not a mon I mentioned, but this is definitely a good calc to know since Infernape is an extremely common revenge killer right now because of ZHH Jirachi

252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 73-87 (25.9 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Step one, come in on locked in Iron Head if it just killed something. Step two, punch things.​

Overall I think this is a very effective team core to build around, some potential issues being Eject Button Alolomola, Alomolo, Alola Real Big Fish + Magneton which trap and kill Scizor very effectively. Good mons to partner with these three are anything that manages hazards well to put chip damage in and help make room for Lucario sweeps, and other mons that can pivot well with U-Turn and Volt Switch to carry a strong momentum and help make sure you have the initiative as often as possible.​

Last edited:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
There won't be a voting round this week since only 1 team was submitted, so congratulations to Thanks Brock Obama for winning (kinda) week 2! He will be added to the Hall of Fame (with last weeks) sometime this week, so look out for that. Next week will start tomorrow!

I lied, we have two submissions this week, from:

1. Tera Melos - Rotom W, Mega Aggron, Infernape
2. Thanks Brock Obama - Mega Manectric, Scizor, Lucario

Voting will go from today into tomorrow, since I was unable to get voting started yesterday.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Steel fighting electric seems random as hell but okay I think it works.

Thanks Brock Obama because it has so much more power (although Lightining Rod >>>> Static on Manectric)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)