SM UU Type Cores (Week #8: Psychic, Fighting, Dark)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
It appears this week we have a tie, so my esteemed council of myself has decided to vote to break the tie. And, for that, I am picking Tera Melos to win this week because he managed to create a core of 3 semi-random types that's meta relevant, so congratulations to Tera Melos for winning this week, and Thanks Brock Obama for getting runner up. I'm actually going to make the Hall of Fame now, so there's that.

Week Three is Fighting, Normal, Ghost

So, be sure to get your cores in in time, and from now on, if you're going to reserve, please make sure you return to the core. As always, good luck posters and have fun!

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Chandelure - Blissy - Cobalion

Here we go! This week I decided to take a step back and work with some mons that I don't typically work with or enjoy working with. Chandelure and Coablion, specifically. The two of these mons allow for potential deadly set up with the support of Blissey. I decided that I not only wanted this core to focus on set up / support but to be home to some nice bulk. How'd I go about that? Well, by picking three mons that eat each others checks/counters. Chandy taking up fighting hits and Fire blast, Blissey providing some tight support for the two mons.

Here's the team itself, for your viewing pleasure.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

As you can see, it manages to be a very threatening core with a bigger bark than it's bite all for the benefit of scouting/chipping/sweeping. This allows for the core to split picks among itself, giving each sweep mon the ability to pick a mon and focus on eliminating it slowly but surely. This tea only gets batter when you branch into Hyper Offense alternatively Bulky Offense.

Below, I'll provide two versions of the team and ya'll can decide which one works best for you. However, both of these teams show that the core can be used with much flexibility.

Hyper Offense
Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere
- Scald

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Dragon Claw
- Leaf Blade
- Crunch

Bulky Offense
Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere
- Scald

Latias (F) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Feel free to let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Why not?

Cofagrigus, Porygon-2, and Bewear.

Gonna just throw together a nice little Trick Room core just to throw in some variety.
Cofagrigus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

Bewear @ Life Orb
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Return
- Hammer Arm
- Facade
- Ice Punch / Earthquake
Cofagrigus comes in as a reliable setter that can do damage on his own with Nasty Plot, Colbur Berry is run over Ghostium-Z so that Cofagrigus can set up TR on Weavile if you really have to and take it out with HP Fighting every time, as there is a non-zero chance of losing to Knock Off + Ice Shard if your opponent has rocks or a single layer of spikes up and I am not about that noise in the grand scheme of things. Used this set last gen in a Trick Room team to try and test out Camerupt-Mega in a team made by dodmen and this set was absolutely fantastic, still a huge fan of this mon.
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Cofagrigus: 190-226 (59.5 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Colbur Berry Cofagrigus: 142-168 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- 16.8% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Shard vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Cofagrigus: 58-70 (18.1 - 21.9%) -- possible 5HKO
Next Porygon-2 comes in as a long term setter who gives a Trick Room team some longevity, it can set Trick Room several times per game. Pretty straightforward, survives hits and puts up Trick Room. Tri-Attack, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt are there to hit things when hitting things is something that should happen, run your choices for Mantine, Gliscor, or STAB.

Finally there's Bewear, who punches holes in teams and makes room for other Trick Room mons to come in and clean up afterwards, plus Fluffy gives the ability to potentially eat a hit or two and put in work when Trick Room is down. Earthquake and Ice Punch are options for coverage, I prefer Ice punch purely for the sake of knocking Gliscor into another dimension, whereas Earthquake allows you to take out Chandelure.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
We're back into the voting phase, where our two submitters are facing off again!

1. Tera Melos (Chandelure, Blissey, Cobalion)
2. Thanks Brock Obama (Cofagrigus, Porygon-2, Bewear)

You guys know the drill, be sure to vote!

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Congratulations to Thanks Brock Obama for winning week #3! Unfortunately, the Hall of Fame is still a WiP due to the original format not working as intended. Keep in mind one will exist at some point! Also, congratulations Tera Melos for getting Runner-Up!

Week #4 is Psychic, Steel, Dark.

Be sure to get cores in before Saturday!

Sharpedo-Mega, Klefki, and Latias

Ross from Friends (Sharpedo-Mega) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall
- Protect

Vinz Clortho (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough

Will & Grace is ok (Latias) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish
Straightforward Sharpedo-Mega cleaner core, with Klefki around to lay spikes and Latias to punch holes in the early-mid game. The core plays extremely fast and hard, and there is no room for passiveness with their teammates as you should be using every opportunity to create space and pressure for Sharpedo to exploit late game.

As for each mon, Sharpedo-Mega is getting nominated for S-Rank on the viability rankings thread for a reason as its one of the deadliest mons in the meta right now, and its mere presence on the team preview screen pressures your opponent to adapt to it. The set is standard and running Jolly over Adamant to ensure that you can outspeed as many scarfers as possible, and Ice Fang over Psychic Fangs so you can get by Mandibuzz who would otherwise stop this core dead in its tracks. You should play Sharpedo-Mega as an ace in the hole, keeping him in the back as long as possible until the opportunity to sweep the last remaining mons comes up by getting him in for free either by sacking a mon or a Volt Switch/U-Turn.

Klefki also runs a very standard set with max defense over mixed as that's just a preference of mine. It's job is to get spikes up and make life difficult for your opponent, Thunder Wave is run to slow down mons that might give your team issues and to cripple mons, in particular Scarf Infernape, that might switch in to take out Klefki that also could be used to stop a Sharpedo sweep. Reflect can create space for Sharpedo or any other mons on your team to operate and put work in. Play Rough is for that sick DPS and will always do max damage and crit if you're on a pro gaming rig wearing your special gaming gear while sitting in your gaming chair playing pokemon showdown at 200 frames per second on ultra high graphics for maximum response time and visual details.

Latias is a a mon you have to be a little bit careful with, as its extremely effective nuke and one of the defining mons in the tier right now, but if you're not careful can allow room for your opponent to remove hazards and set you back. The cause of that issue is Draco Meteor, which is a deadly nuke, but can reduce your special attack to the point where you can't effectively deal with an opponent's hazard removal. This does not mean in any way that you should run Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor, as it takes away the ability to break teams. Psyshock is run to get around special walls and for that very nice dual STAB, and HP Fire kills Scizor dead if it decides to switch in and try and take a hit. Healing Wish can be used to restore a mon on the team back to full effectiveness and let it run wild on your opponent, this also lets Latias have some further use after dropping a Draco Meteor so you don't need to hard switch 100% of the time after using your strongest move.

Partners that work well with this core are most anything that operates well against stall teams, as while the pace of this core works very well against offense it can struggle against fatter teams. A spinblocker is also a good mon to have around, as they can help keep hazards up which helps a lot against other offense teams and is absolutely crucial against bulkier team builds. Doublade is very good for this as it helps with both of these roles and has tremendous physical bulk. I honestly do not like using a suicide lead with this core as while it can help you outright beat other offense teams it doesn't help to only get rocks up once against fatter teams which are very common right now with how influential Weavile has been. Any sort of VoltTurn support is also a huge help, CB Scizor, Rotom-Wash, and pretty much most everything that can run the moves and apply offensive pressure are nice to have.

Last edited:

hs

Banned deucer.
Cobalion, Latias and Krook

This is a pretty basic core that has a great offensive synergy, with the main aim being to ease a late game sweep by weakening checks. Cobalion and Latias have a great synergy as Cobalion is one of the best answers to Sharpedo-Mega and other Dark-types, and can threaten Fairy and most specially defensive walls in general that check Latias such as Blissey and Snorlax, meanwhile Latias can deal with most bulky Ground- and Water-types such as Gliscor, Rotom-Wash, and Tentacruel. Krookodile can help soften some Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon able to threaten Latias in Reuniclus, Slowbro, Doublade, and an opposing Latias. Either of these Pokemon can clean the game, but usually the goal with this will be weaken the opposing team with Latias and Cobalion allowing Krook to clean later with Knock Off or Earthquake, but Latias can also work to clean a game once its checks are weakened.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Latias @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

The sets are fairly standard, Cobalion has Taunt to prevent opposing entry hazards from being set up and Shuca Berry allows to better check Earthquake Mega Aerodactyl and act as a soft check to Krookodile. The Latias set is straight from analysis: Calm Mind turns Latias into a strong wallbreaker. Hidden Power Fire KOes offensive Scizor without a boost and bulky Scizor at +1. Krookodile with Choice Scarf being a great revenge killer and Pursuit trapper, giving speed control.

+1 252 SpA Latias Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 360-424 (104.9 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Latias Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 240-284 (69.9 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Latias Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 280-332 (99.6 - 118.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+1 252 SpA Latias Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 244 HP / 196 SpD Gliscor: 426-502 (121 - 142.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Latias Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Swampert: 454-535 (113.2 - 133.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Decided to make a Bulky Offensive core with M-Gardevoir, Scizor and Hydreigon (might not be very innovative though)

My wallbreaker M-Gardevoir, carries dual STAB that hits very hard on most of the mons in this tier, I added Thunderbolt because both Scizor and Hyrdeigon struggle against Mantine and has a nice chance to OHKO it. Healing Wish gives Scizor a 2nd chance to sweep and it’s a pretty good utility move.

Next my sweeper Scizor, standard move pool but I added Buginium Z so I take less damage from Knock Off and the Z itself can be useful as well, it can pick some kills after a Swords Dance against mons like Hippowdon, Amoongus, passive bulky water types and even Rotom-W on a switch in. The EVs for the set makes the Scizor more bulky to take on Weavile’s Knock Off better and also having some offensive power after Swords Dancing.

And the last mon Hydreigon, I needed some sort of speed control and Hydreigon seemed nice, it also helps a little against Volt-Turn users (M-Manectric, M-Beedrill, Scizor, Magneton, etc…) by outspeeding them. Nothing else to say about the set it’s pretty standard and works well with the core.

Btw lemme know if I made any mistakes.
Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 104 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
252+ SpA Gardevoir-Mega Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Mantine: 352-416 (94.1 - 111.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 104 Def Scizor: 135-160 (39.3 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 156+ Atk Scizor Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 498-586 (115.2 - 135.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 156+ Atk Scizor Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Hippowdon: 345-406 (82.1 - 96.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 156+ Atk Scizor Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 40 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 390-459 (81 - 95.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 156+ Atk Scizor Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 361-426 (90 - 106.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 156+ Atk Scizor Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Rotom-Wash: 336-396 (110.8 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Hi guys, I was literally busy all day yesterday, so voting will run in from today into late tomorrow. This week, we have quite a few entries, so I'm really excited to see all of you vote on them!

1. Thanks Brock Obama - Mega Sharpedo, Klefki, Latias
2. JonathanXtreme - Cobalion, Latias, Krookodile
3. ridk021 - Mega Gardevoir, Scizor, Hydreigon

Be sure to get your votes in!

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
ridk021 won week 4! Congratulations to him and his runner up, Thanks Brock Obama

Week #5 is Same Type Week! PLEASE READ THIS SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!:

This week, you are required to post a core with only 2 Pokemon of the same type, not 3. It does not matter if they are primary or secondary, or if it's merely one type, they just have to share a typing.

Other than that, have fun this week! Be sure to get your cores in in time!

hs

Banned deucer.

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail

Here's my rock-spam core, that I built around Terrakion and Mega-Aerodactyl, which are offensive threats and puts pressure against most opponents, due to their access to Swords Dance + Rock Polish and Hone Claws, respectively.

Terrakion and Mega-Aerodactyl suffer passing through bulky -Water and Steel-types, such as Alomomola, Suicune and Scizor. Terrakion hits hard most of the metagame with Continental Crush after a Swords Dance boost, OHKOing everything that doesn't resist(what resists to this thing other than a doublade lol), allowing Mega-Aerodactyl to sweep in late-game weakening its checks.

Back, Mega-Aerodactyl can deal with most Grass-types that can threaten Terrakion, due to its super effective STAB, and share similar checks in the form of bulky -Water and Steel-types.

+2 252 Atk Terrakion Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Suicune: 399-469 (98.7 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Terrakion Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 124+ Def Scizor: 471-555 (137.3 - 161.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Terrakion Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 40 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 486-573 (101 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Aerodactyl-Mega Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 252-297 (89.6 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHK
+1 252 Atk Aerodactyl-Mega Stone Edge vs. 40 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 210-247 (43.6 - 51.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Aerodactyl-Mega Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Suicune: 171-202 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 180-212 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 307-361 (94.7 - 111.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl-Mega: 186-222 (61.7 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl-Mega: 322-382 (106.9 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Mega Gardevoir + Latias

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fire
- Calm Mind

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

This psychic-spam core features two Pokémon who are dominant in the metagame and put lots of work against almost any matchup.

Latias and Gardevoir-Mega share similar checks in steel types and Blissey. Latias demolishes the kinds of Scizor with +1 Hidden Power Fire and further wallbreaks with an insane +1 Z-Draco Meteor, allowing Gardevoir-Mega to grab a kill each time it gets a safe switch.

In return, Gardevoir-Mega shatters through Steel types who counter Latias such as Empoleon, Steelix-Mega and Aggron-Mega with Focus Blast and also shuts down Blissey with Taunt and beats it 1v1.

• 252 SpA Gardevoir-Mega Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix-Mega: 234-276 (66.1 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Gardevoir-Mega Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Aggron-Mega: 195-231 (56.8 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Gardevoir-Mega Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 224-264 (60.2 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Gardevoir-Mega Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 283-334 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • +1 252 SpA Latias Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 360-424 (104.9 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I'm back, and this week I'll be taking

Klekfi AND Primarina

Importable

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Modest Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dazzling Gleam

Primarina @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Toxic
- Scald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)