Smogon Championship I - Playoffs [Won by Empo]

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 11 months of qualifying, we have arrived at the first edition of the Smogon Championship playoffs. Through the entire official tournament circuit, as well as dozens of seasonals and other unofficial tournaments, players have been accumulating points for Smogon Championship. Now, only 16 are left to compete for the

Before I continue, I'd like to thank the various hosts of all types of tournaments this year, and an especially huge thanks to Ciele who maintained the spreadsheet the whole time: https://goo.gl/asJEg5

For general Smogon Championship information, you can view this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-smogon-championship.3589700/

How will playoffs work?
Playoffs are single elimination, best of 3.

As in other tournaments, once the tier list is decided, higher seed picks game 1 and the loser of a game picks the tier of the next game (loser of g1 picks g2 and loser of g2 picks g3).

The method of determining which tiers are played is as follows:

1) Lower seed strikes one of the higher seed's 2 tiers
2) Higher seed strikes one of the lower seed's 2 tiers
3) Lower seed picks between his remaining tier or USUM OU
4) Higher seed picks between his remaining tier or USUM OU

The third tier is always USUM OU. Yes, USUM OU or any tier for that matter can be played multiple times in a bo3.

To clarify the "2 tiers" portion of this: Every player picks their "2 tiers", which they determine at the beginning of playoffs. These 2 tiers will belong to each player for the entire playoff phase. Players can pick any core metagames as their 2 tiers (Gen 1-7 OU, Gen 7 DOU, Ubers, UU, RU, NU, LC). Note that, via the above format, there is no advantage to using USUM OU as one of your 2 tiers.
Identity

I expect many battles to be completed under alts and I expect many battles to be completed on other servers to prevent scouting. These kind of factors are pretty bad for tournament security, and thus I will make this clear: If I hear any whispers of identity theft (battling as someone you are not) or proxy battling (helping someone else battle through pm) I will not be pleased and I will take severe actions.

Scouting

Next, I do not want to hear anything about counterteaming, at all. It is the silliest thing I have ever heard, any battler worth their marbles has more than one team. Do not complain about it. I also don't want to hear about any forceful scouting, whether it be spying on another teams irc channel or following your opponent around on PO. There is a difference between "ipl is known for using stall" and "let me follow ipl around all day to watch all his battles since I am his opponent". I expect a lot of the former and none of the latter.

With that said, I give permission to all battlers to ask any person spectating their battle to leave if they do not want them watching. However, given the fact that this is the big stage, I am sure a lot of people want to watch, so don't be too mean.

Timer Clause

As for taking long between moves, if your opponent asks you to hurry up, please oblige. If you are doing a damage calc for a key turn that is one thing, but prolonging every move is suspicious and annoying. Don't do it. Furthermore, Battle Timeout is a rule for a reason. If you run out of time, you lose, simple as that. It does not matter what your opponent says. Do not battle if you think you will have to leave mid battle, and instead reschedule for a better time. Timing out is still classified as a loss, unless the reason for timing out is a disconnection. If there is any suspicion that a disconnect was carried out deliberately to take advantage of this rule in any way, we reserve the right to exercise a harsh punishment.

Disconnections

If a player disconnects and either player contends that they could still win, the optimal solution is to recreate the exact situation the disconnection occurred at during the battle. If it is agreed between players that this is not feasible due to unreasonable battle length, highly improbable circumstances, or some other reason, the player who did not disconnect may choose to rematch with either the same teams or (the option to use) new teams. Timing out is still classified as a loss, unless the reason for timing out is a disconnection. If there is any suspicion that a disconnect was carried out deliberately to take advantage of this rule in any way, we reserve the right to exercise a harsh punishment. Do not do it.

I know that was a lot to read, but it is all necessary for me to have posted here so everyone can see it in the case of a dispute. I don't want any confusion or any problems.

With that said, here is the list of people who qualified and their respective seed:
1. ABR - 600 points
2. Level 56 - 510 points
3. FLCL - 505 points
4. blunder - 445 points
5. Posho - 440 points
6. reyscarface - 435 points
7. Pohjis - 335 points
8. ZoroDark - 335 points
9. Nintendi - 310 points
10. FlamingVictini - 310 poins
11. Hiye - 300 points
12. Alexander. - 290 points
13. Empo - 290 points
14. Ciele - 285 points
15. Poek - 285 points
16. We Three Kings - 285 points

Ties in overall points were settled by who had more official points
(stour lives / cups / opens included)

16. We Three Kings vs. 8. Zorodark
(ADV OU, USUM DOU, USUM OU)

15. Poek vs. 10. FlamingVictini
(USUM OU, USUM RU, USUM OU)

3. FLCL vs. 6. reyscarface
(USUM UU, ADV OU, USUM OU)

13. Empo vs. 5. Posho
(ORAS OU, USUM OU, USUM OU)

Finals

13. Empo vs. 3. FLCL
(USUM UU, USUM OU, USUM OU)

Please PM Luigi your "2 tiers" by the deadline stated below. After you and your opponent both do so, Luigi will start a PM where tier selection can be done. Please adhere to the specific order and subsequent deadlines as stated below.

1) Lower seed strikes one of the higher seed's 2 tiers
2) Higher seed strikes one of the lower seed's 2 tiers
3) Lower seed picks between his remaining tier or USUM OU
4) Higher seed picks between his remaining tier or USUM OU

Tony and TDK are paired, with Tony being the higher seed.

Tony pm's the tiers USUM UU and USUM Ubers to Luigi.
TDK pm's the tiers BW OU and DPP OU to Luigi.
(order does not matter) (this happens ONCE for the entire playoff phase)

After receiving this information, Luigi will start a PM with the pairing asking for the striking/picking process to begin.

1) TDK, the lower seed, strikes Ubers.
2) Tony, the higher seed, strikes BW.
3) TDK chooses between his remaining tier, DPP, and the default USUM OU. He picks DPP.
4) Tony chooses between his remaining tier, USUM UU, and the default USUM OU. He picks USUM UU.

The tier lineup for the series is then as follows: DPP OU / USUM UU / USUM OU.

This is all that will be decided before the series is actually played.

Upon playing the series, Tony gets to pick the tier of game 1. The loser of game 1 picks the tier of game 2 and the only remaining tier is that of game 3.

Last edited:

Aliss

is a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
1. ABR vs. 16. We Three Kings
2. Level 56 vs. 15. Poek
3. FLCL vs. 14. Ciele
4. blunder vs. 13. Empo
5. Posho vs. 12. Alexander.
6. reyscarface vs. 11. Hiye
7. Pohjis vs. 10. FlamingVictini
8. ZoroDark vs. 9. Nintendi

Posho, W3K or blunder to take it all :)

Here are my excellent predictions

2. Level 56 vs. 15. Poek
3. FLCL vs. 14. Ciele
4. blunder vs. 13. Empo

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
1. ABR vs. 16. We Three Kings : USUM OU ABR, RBY OU W3K, USUM OU W3K

2. Level 56 vs. 15. Poek : Assuming Ubers is one of the tiers here, 2-1 regardless where Poek takes an OU centric tier

3. FLCL vs. 14. Ciele : USUM NU FLCL, BW OU Ciele, USUM OU Ciele

4. blunder vs. 13. Empo : ADV OU blunder, BW OU blunder, USUM OU Empo

5. Posho vs. 12. Alexander: 2-1 if RBY gets slotted where Alexander takes that.

6. reyscarface vs. 11. Hiye: I'm predicting Hiye without any information on what tiers are being played but regardless of who wins here I don't think this series will be close or clean unfortunately

7. Pohjis vs. 10. FlamingVictini: Same deal as above, except this series might be cleaner.

8. ZoroDark vs. 9. Nintendi: USUM LC Zorodark USUM Ubers Zorodark, USUM OU Nintendi

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
2. Level 56 vs. 15. Poek
3. FLCL vs. 14. Ciele
4. blunder vs. 13. Empo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)