Status
Not open for further replies.
wheres the final match adv ?
really this game
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-267668

ok lets go

mcm and ojama any people what play in smogon was prepared for a show

two strong player and you to make this

ok i don't like Skarmory+Tyranitar+Gengar because so much people use this.

But in final game ban this.

Sorry but this ridicolous, for me i respect yours decision, but i don't approve this.

I love adv (gem 3) i love to watch VIL matchs, Danilo,MCM,OJAMA match.

Ojama you change your style now you very offence in adv and i like this.
Ojama Maybe you don't need ban spikes for this match and you won again

but you make your choice ok and congratulation for your win.
this is only pokemon but remember "pokemon is serious business"

Yesterday Nelson talk about this match with me

what my prediction and i say:
i rooting for mcm but i think ojama win
Nelson if you read this cofirme this bro ;]

because he is offence and more solid in adv imo.
great player but bad battle.

sorry this is my opinion.
Where the show?

Ok so I think many people in here forgot a major point about all of this.
What is the main purpose of a game? Having fun, of course.
Then how can people blame Ojama and McMeghan for having fun? They played with slightly different settings (yes, maybe Spikes aren't "slightly" used in ADV, but this is still one possible move for the entirety of the game, which has 354 possible moves, therefore when you think about it, they removed 0.28% of the game), and this is still ADV.
Absolutely no-one has any right to be mad at them, or to be angry. You may be disappointed if you like Spikes, you may dislike their decision or disagree with it, but you have no right to call them out (now, I wasn't present at the moment of the game, which I regret because I'd love to see that live, but I don't know exactly what happened).

Last thing, about Triangles asking "If you're gonna make a gentleman's agreement, why make it now of all times?"
Because playing on another time would be pointless? The whole fun in this case is about the grand final of SPL, it is as competitive as it can be. Why would they play with those settings on a friendly match, when they have the possibility to do so during such a game? It all correlates to the fun part I was talking about.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
About Ojama vs McM:

Firstly, while I agree with Ojama that he and McM have all the right to play with the rules they want (as long as the game follows ADV mechanics), I also understand some people being annoyed and thinking it is a big disrespect to other players expecting to watch a good ADV game between 2 great players in an another episode of their rivalry, and in the tiebreaker of the finals of a big team tournament, and they saw how both players had agreed to play the game with a rule that completely changes ADV meta, so it was not really an ADV OU game, it was like "something similar" to ADV OU. That does not justify Triangles overreaction tho, even if he has reasons to be annoyed by this.

Secondly:
we agreed to no spikes because we, and several other advers, are tired of playing this tier 100% centralized around spikes.
Im calling bs on this for different reasons:
a) Usage. In the last SPL, Skarmory was used in the 32.65% of the teams, Forretress in the 7.14% of the teams and Cloyster in the 4.08%. That means that less than 45% of the teams had Spikes, and that is ignoring the fact that Skarm + Forry have been used in the same team more than once. The same happened in the last Wcop. If the tier was heavily spikes centralized, or if everybody used "Skarm + GGar + TTar", this number would have been much higher.
Gengar usage wasn't also that high (30.6%), and there were 0 Dusclops
Also, people with great records have not used Spikes that much. For example, my team ended with a combined record in ADV of 8-1 using Spikes in 3 games, you have ended SPL with a 7-4 record using Spikes only once, and Asta only used Spikes once last Wcop when he ended 6-0. If cannot be a Spikes based meta if the players that win more have not used Spikes much.

b) Existance of strong counterplay: Magneton traps and kills the main Spikers, while Starmie + Claydol + Forry + Cloy can get rid of Spikes. Starmie can also destroy the main ghost, while TTar can also trap it. It is not like BW Spikes Magic Guard, where getting rid of Spikes was nearly impossible and Skarm had an item to avoid getting trapped by Magnezone. Also, in the last SPL 1/3 of the teams did not have a spinner of Magneton, and this is ignoring teams with Magneton + Spinner. In a heavily Spikes centralized metagame, nearly every team would try to go anti spikes, since there are strong spikes counter strats (Mag + Spin is for example a terrible MU for Spikes teams)

c) You could argue that "Spikes forces me to be prepared for them, and that means I have less options because I have to cover them". I could argue the same for a lot of things: Dugtrio makes mons Heracross or Raikou much harder to use and forces me to use modest ib in defensive bliss (or counter bold) instead of the better bulkier sets, Heracross forces me to use either Gengar or Salamence or Gyarados or at least Dugtrio, Gengar is really annoying for physical based teams and ferro teams and I have to use things like Pursuit TTar when I could run a better TTar set, etc

d) I dont think you thought about the consequences of a meta with no Spikes. Yes, building at first is fun, because you are removing an element of the game that restricts your team build (you dont have to worry about something as big as Spikes). However by experience in the tournaments I played with those rules back in the day, the metagame is mostly a stall fest because you have no way of punishing switchings, and with decent predictions you can easily heal mons like Swampert or Metagross. It is something that does restrict team building, but a Spikesless meta is worse than a Spikes meta.

Spikes is very strong in ADV OU, but saying the metagame is heavily Spikes centralized is going too far.

It's been a long road for MAZARY THE GREAT. From being despised by his SPL team to becoming a Grand Slam champion to becoming a complete laughingstock for being ghosted to single-handedly revolutionizing the Ubers metagame to being known as a creeper starved for e-girl attention to getting more accusations of ghosting leveraged against him. HOWEVER, all of that is irrelevant today, as MAZARY THE GREAT has a chance to win SPL 8 for the Tigers. Before watching his game, take a minute to appreciate one of the best games he has ever played.

By popular request:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)