Smogon Premier League VIII - Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

You know what time it is.

Reminders:

On Sportsmanship
Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this SPL, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in #spl / #pokemon / any of the semiofficial tier channels, or in opposing SPL team channels (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own SPL team channel unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a Masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On Scheduling Matches
I'm sure plenty of you have come across activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that week's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown/Smogon Tournament Server, or PO if you're playing an old gen. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the week's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's VM wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response VM). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential no contest or substitution. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to no contest, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your VM wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take irc or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the VM messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue no contest or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Week 1 thread is posted June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Its deadline is June 14, 2013 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his VM wall on June 7, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On Disconnecting and timing out drama
Ah, the big beefcake. I'm going to go ahead and put this out there: we reserve the right to judge any individual match on a case by case basis, regardless of assumed precedence set. If you don't like that, you are welcome to not play. Be aware of this.

Also, to protect yourself as much as possible from DCs and timer issues, play on Showdown (because it has an at least semi reliable system of rejoining after a DC) and make a gentleman's agreement to not hit timer and not be hour-a-move dicks.

That said, here is the main way we will probably handle DCs / timing out:

To handle all DC cases...you're gonna submit your teams before the match. Prague Kick and Esteemed SPL Host Ginku, who are not playing nor affiliated with any team, will manage this team submission form. You don't have to submit, but if you do, you protect yourself from the opponent taking a win. If you do DC (and you can't rejoin the battle) and you haven't submitted your team, your opponent will have the right to take the win. Yes, I'll most likely make a judgment call if he is on his last turn with 1 Pokemon at 5% and paralyzed and with you at 6 100% health Pokemon, because the only way to lose this is to misclick multiple times. However, if you're at 6 100% Pokemon and your opponent is at last Pokemon 10% needing to crit flinch you 6 - 12 times for the win, I'll give him the win if you DC and haven't submitted your team.

I know people like Philip7086 will beg me "to use common sense for a judgment call" for all cases and I would normally agree, but I am giving you all a 100% out by allowing you to submit your team. Basically, submit your team, and protect yourself and your team from any and all DCs. It's a simple procedure that removes almost all subjectivity from a decision regarding a DC. Unlike with the scheduling restrictions, all you have to do is submit the team your are using at anytime before the match takes place, and you'll have 100% protected yourself. Read this rule and understand this now before you join the tournament. Since I'm stating this now, I'm basically going to ignore you if you DC, didn't submit a team, and "had a guaranteed win." Expect it. Also note that I'm going to let the PLAYER (not the team), decide whether he is going to take the win or go another route (replay same moves, replay different teams, etc.).

To further ensure no funny business, if, in the case of a DC replay, there is any concern from either party about funny business, both parties have the right to request a screenshot of the current Pokemon's stats in battle. This is irrelevant for Showdown as you can simply rejoin a battle there, but PO allows you to see the currently out Pokemon's stats if you scroll over it with your mouse. Just hit PrntScrn (windows) while scrolling over it if requested by your opponent, preferably with proof that it is a screenshot of that actual battle (consider including the opponent's request in the battle screen in the screenshot).

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is prone to the DC rules (did you submit or not).

~ Aldaron
(Use https://cryptobin.co/ to secure your team with a password if you don't trust us)

This should be a smooth ride if everyone follows the instructions above (schedule via VM, submit teams, don't start drama for no reason), but it won't be.

---

Team Raiders (9) vs Circus Maximus Tigers (3)

SM OU: reyscarface vs Mazar
SM OU: kratosmana vs P2
SM OU: TDK vs Steve Angello
SM Ubers: Hack vs Edgar
SM LC: mad0ka vs OP
SM DOU: Stax vs MajorBowman
ORAS OU: nedor vs Eternal Spirit
BW OU: Jayde vs McMeghan
DPP OU: roscoe vs Tamahome
ADV OU: UD vs JabbaTheGriffin
GSC OU: BKC vs giara
RBY OU: Tobes vs Golden Gyarados

Cryonicles (8) vs Wifi Wolfpack (4)

SM OU: R!cardo vs FlamingVictini
SM OU: Zamrock vs Snowy.
SM OU: njnp vs Gingy
SM Ubers: Psychicmewtwo vs PROBLEMS
SM LC: ice tea vs Sken
SM Doubles: KyleCole vs SamVGC
ORAS OU: Poek97 vs aim
BW2 OU: Soulwind vs Tokyo Tom
DPP OU: Atticus vs Void
ADV OU: Fakes vs Astamatitos
GSC OU: Colchonero vs Fear
RBY OU: Peasounay vs Nails

Indie Scooters (7) vs Firebot Falcons (5)

SM OU: Hector Hard Mode vs Sweepage
SM OU: Axel10 vs Cicada
SM OU: Sabella vs Leftiez
SM Ubers: Gunner Rohan vs Lacus Clyne
SM LC: Star vs zf
SM Doubles: Biosci vs kamikaze
ORAS OU: TheThorn vs xray
BW OU: Jirachee vs Shoka
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Sauga
ADV OU: Ojama vs Triangles
GSC OU: Mr.378 vs Mr.E
RBY OU: Crystal_ vs Bedschibaer

Congregation of the Classiest (4) vs Alpha Ruiners (8)

SM OU: Lysergic vs ABR
SM OU: Adam vs blunder
SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Geemick
SM Ubers: sin and victimization vs Astounded
SM LC: Heysup vs Fatty
SM Doubles: Braverius vs Memoric
ORAS OU: High Impulse vs Rodriblutar
BW OU: Reymedy vs Vinc2612
DPP OU: 6A9 Ace Matador vs Smurf.
ADV OU: Danilo vs Golden Sun
GSC OU: Earthworm vs idiotfrommars
RBY OU: Lusch vs MetalGro$$

Stark Sharks (6) vs Ever Grande BIGS (6)

SM OU: PDC vs Obliviate
SM OU: dragonuser vs Ciele
SM OU: -Snow vs Destiny Device
SM Ubers: Lord Outrage vs Level 56
SM LC: Corporal Levi vs ZoroDark
SM Doubles: I Am a Rookie vs Laga
ORAS OU: Trosko vs Posho
BW2 OU: dice vs Finchinator
DPP OU: ToF vs Porengan
ADV OU: undisputed vs dekzeh
GSC OU: Veteran In Love vs d0nut
RBY OU: The_Chaser vs Alexander.

---

Deadline is Sunday, January 15th, at 11:59 PM EST.

If I made a mistake with any matchups or names, please contact Prague Kick or me.

60/60 matches completed

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Leader
SM LC: mad0ka vs OP -- Gut feeling. If OP is dumb though he might lose at matchup though. I'm hoping he isn't dumb.
SM LC: ice tea vs Sken -- Really depends if Star feeds ice tea teams and how sken feels the day they play. should be good tho
SM LC: Star vs zf -- zf is going 11-0
SM LC: Heysup vs Fatty -- As much as I love fatty, I'm not seeing him win without ample bullshit. Hope I'm proved wrong
SM LC: Corporal Levi vs ZoroDark -- Levi is the man. Zoro could pull it out if Levi does off the deep end with a gimmick

gl wolfpack.

Team Raiders (0) vs Circus Maximus Tigers (0)

SM OU: reyscarface vs Mazar- Could go either way. Mazar's underrated imo :x
SM OU: kratosmana vs P2- undeniable fate
SM OU: TDK vs Steve Angello *thinks about highlighting tdk* *Has wcop flashback*
BW OU: jayde vs McMeghan- Mcmeghan :3
ADV OU: UD vs JabbaTheGriffin- idk who UD is. Jabba is such a nice guy I wish for his fortune regardless of how good he is (idk I think hes p good too)
GSC OU: BKC vs giara- idk kinda a toss-up idk if BKC is good at GSC

Cryonicles (0) vs Wifi Wolfpack (0)

SM OU: mencemeat vs FlamingVictini- the mencemeat...
SM OU: Zamrock vs Snowy.- Nigga my nigga nigga!
SM OU: njnp vs IAmGingy
SM Ubers: Psychicmewtwo vs PROBLEMS- lol go Oli :P
SM LC: ice tea vs Sken- Sken's my son
SM Doubles: KyleCole vs SamVGC- I think kylecole is better but I prefer SamVGC's twitter
ORAS OU: Poek97 vs aim- best ORAS-ers playing week 1 :x idk about joey's state rn/motivation and stuff
BW2 OU: Soulwind vs Tokyo Tom- Picked soulwind so that people don't think i'm meming, even tho the clear winner is Ryan lol...
ADV OU: Fakes vs Astamatitos- My dad
GSC OU: Colchonero vs Fear- Colch <3
RBY OU: Peasounay vs Nails- I like peasonay and hes probably better at RBY but nails is a capable player and I think he can clutch

Indie Scooters (0) vs Firebot Falcons (0)

SM OU: Axel10 vs Cicada- I wish they could both win!!
SM OU: Sabella vs Leftiez- idk leftiez is a fantastic player but just always brings the most whack fucking teams especially to SPL/wcop lol
SM LC: Star vs zf - I hate starmaster
SM Doubles: Biosci vs kamikaze- 30% sure this guy was on my SPL team 2 seasons ago
ORAS OU: TheThorn vs xray- Thorn got bullshitted out of OLT and I was actually pretty impressed with his performance.
BW OU: Jirachee vs Shoka- Shoka is p good at BW I think. Could go either way idk

Stark Sharks (0) vs Ever Grande BIGS (0)

SM OU: reiku vs Destiny Device-
SM Ubers: Lord Outrage vs Level 56- Obviously could easily go either way. Tie-break was definitely me imagining trout's ego boost every time he sees someone predict him to win hng
SM LC: Corporal Levi vs ZoroDark- literally the best SPL player. Lol. Zorodark is so motherfucking good if he gets any less than 9 wins I will be shocked because this guy's unrealiSTICALLY good. Levi's super good but Zorodark is a megagenius!!
ORAS OU: Trosko vs Posho- Cute match :3
BW2 OU: dice vs Finchinator- finch tries too hard to cstyle cuz he can't just use good teams and win. Dice uses random shit idk.
ADV OU: undisputed vs dekzeh- Dekzeh is very good at ADV.

Gl all :)

Foggi

Banned deucer.
Team Raiders (5) vs Circus Maximus Tigers (7)

BW OU: jayde vs McMeghan

SM OU: mencemeat vs FlamingVictini

Indie Scooters (5) vs Firebot Falcons (7)

Congregation of the Classiest (4) vs Alpha Ruiners (8)

ORAS OU: High Impulse vs Enki
GSC OU: Earthworm vs Idiotfrommars

Stark Sharks (6) vs Ever Grande BIGS (6)

SM OU: reiku vs Destiny Device

im legit the best at predicting

Reactions: hyw
SM Ubers: Psychicmewtwo vs PROBLEMS OLI
BW2 OU: Soulwind vs Tokyo Tom sorry ryan

RBY OU: Crystal_ vs Bedschinbaer

SM OU: PDC vs Obliviate abfahrt flo

scheiß auf Schickimicki ich will noch ein bier

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

good luck to all!

go team haha

SM OU: TDK vs Steve Angello - easiest game of tims life
BW OU: jayde vs McMeghan - no one stops xenon
GSC OU: BKC vs giara - anyone who thinks that tlop is better than graduation should lose

SM LC: Star vs zf - stars alright i guess

go raiders and wolves!

Updated Kanto

Banned deucer.

Indie Scooters
(0) vs Firebot Falcons (0)

Congregation of the Classiest (0) vs Alpha Ruiners (1)

Team Raiders (7) vs Circus Maximus Tigers (5)

ORAS OU: Nedor vs Eternal Spirit
BW OU: Jayde vs McMeghan

BW2 OU: SoulWind vs Tokyo Tom

Indie Scooters (7) vs Firebot Falcons (5)

Congregation of the Classiest (6) vs Alpha Ruiners (6)

Indie Scooters (0) vs Firebot Falcons (0)

Congregation of the Classiest (0) vs Alpha Ruiners (1)

Sken

feet of clay
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

go wolfpack!!!

SM LC: mad0ka vs OP - as much as I love madoka I can see OP taking this one
SM LC: Star vs zf - I can see zf bringing a better team and winning as long as he makes a couple of good plays
SM LC: Heysup vs Fatty - Fatty will have a more intense preparation even though it won't be easy
SM LC: Corporal Levi vs ZoroDark - I put Levi to put someone but it really could go either way, love the best luck to both of you frens

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
probably playing Saturday bop

The Team Raiders (7) vs Circus Maximus Tigers (5) - raiders will probably win 1-2 more just b/c of management and general team make-up, but we'll see

SM OU: reyscarface vs Mazar - more proven player and ik rey has been getting good at SM, not sure about Mazar in general rn
SM OU: kratosmana vs P2 - better and more experienced player, pretty straightforward here
SM OU: TDK vs Steve Angello - if anyone on this team is beating tdk at sm, it's tim, but he stil prolly won't
SM Ubers: Hack vs Edgar - can't beat the best
SM LC: mad0ka vs OP - d0ka is inconsistent, but if she's at her best then she certainly has a good shot
SM DOU: Stax vs MajorBowman - all for the stax hype, but bowman played well last year and he's poised to do well again this year
ORAS OU: nedor vs Eternal Spirit - not the most hype match, but def one i wanna see. young nedor bout to overachieve bop
BW OU: jayde vs McMeghan - mcm has played like 1 game in the past 6 months and he's not taking it seriously
DPP OU: roscoe vs Tamahome - can't go wrong w/ tama
ADV OU: UD vs JabbaTheGriffin - better and more proven player
GSC OU: BKC vs giara - tbh i actually really like the BKC in gsc idea, but i think he will need a few weeks to fully adjust to it in an spl setting even if he's already plenty competent in the tier, so we'll have to wait and see, but I'll lean towards giara here
RBY OU: Tobes vs Golden Gyarados - slight edge here, but could go either way

Cryonicles (6) vs Wifi Wolfpack (6)

SM OU: mencemeat vs FlamingVictini - better player imo, but fv is scout god so who knows
SM OU: Zamrock vs Snowy. - one of the weakest match-ups on both sides, idrk tbh
SM OU: njnp vs IAmGingy - lmao
SM Ubers: Psychicmewtwo vs PROBLEMS - lmao
SM LC: ice tea vs Sken - skennnnnn <3 could go either way tho bc ict is v solid
SM Doubles: KyleCole vs SamVGC - more experience and past success, gotta go w/ him
ORAS OU: Poek97 vs aim - premier ORAS match-up, super hyped to see it tbh, but i'm going w/ aim b/c he's more experienced and imo a bit better overall as a player, but poek def could take it
BW2 OU: Soulwind vs Tokyo Tom - better player, more experienced, and really just hard to predict against in BW period given how he has been playing
DPP OU: Atticus vs Void - void is a bit question mark, kinda looking forward to seeing him debut in SPL, but atticus surely has the edge
ADV OU: Fakes vs Astamatitos - asta's straight-up amazing
GSC OU: Colchonero vs Fear - .cry
RBY OU: Peasounay vs Nails - well he was ranked highly, so he should be good..I think?

Indie Scooters (6) vs Firebot Falcons (6)

SM OU: Hector Hard Mode vs Sweepage - rough matchup for hector in his first SPL game
SM OU: Axel10 vs Cicada - he's been hyped to shit and haven't seen a ton from cicada lately, but gonna go w/ the hype
SM OU: Sabella vs Leftiez - not usually a fan of leftiez in team tours, but I think he's favored in this matchup
SM Ubers: Gunner Rohan vs Lacus Clyne - not too sure, but ubers dudes seem to love the former so ya
SM LC: Star vs zf - love u both xoxo but star just lost me spl so fuck him
SM Doubles: Biosci vs kamikaze - always thought biosci has been hella underrated and smth tells me that this is an unpopular pick, but sticking w/ my guns bop
ORAS OU: TheThorn vs xray - better player
BW OU: Jirachee vs Shoka - really love this matchup tbh, i think rachee is better and has had some flare to his building over the past year or so, but i wanna see shoka give it his best, so we'll see :o
DPP OU: Philip7086 vs Sauga - hard to predict against philip, i also think sauga is overhyped and inexperienced, so yea
ADV OU: Ojama vs Triangles - fisherman
GSC OU: Mr.378 vs Mr.E - more proven mr., but rooting for 378
RBY OU: Crystal_ vs Bedschibaer - not too high on crystal tbh

Congregation of the Classiest (7) vs Alpha Ruiners (5)

SM OU: Lysergic vs ABR - call me whack, but abr got a lot of hype on his shoulders and lysergic has nothing to lose, gimme an upset alert bop
SM OU: Adam vs blunder - adam's meh, blunder's top5
SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Geemick - eo's a rlly good player, favor him significantly
SM Ubers: sin and victimization vs Astounded - sin and x.
SM LC: Heysup vs Fatty - the lc god
SM Doubles: Braverius vs Memoric - loved this dude's prep/play on wolf last year when i was in their chan and have big hopes for him this year bop
ORAS OU: High Impulse vs Enki - amir still suck ass tho
BW OU: Reymedy vs Vinc2612 - more interested in the teams used than the actual game here tbh
DPP OU: 6A9 Ace Matador vs Smurf. - better player if he tries and all
ADV OU: Danilo vs Golden Sun - will be hella close, but i think GS is better
GSC OU: Earthworm vs Idiotfrommars - already played bop
RBY OU: Lusch vs MetalGro$$ - my boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)