Tournament Smogon Snake Draft Tournament NU Sets/Teams Dump

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
I'll start it off. Here's my complete collection of my teams throughout the tournament. I'll pick two sets from each phase that I thought were p dope.

Phase 1:

Virizion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

Barbaracle was mega dumb so I wanted a scarfer that I could catch it with. ScarfViriz is still surprisingly effective outside of that even with its low base attack, because it has a very spammable high BP move in CC that can still put solid dents into things, especially opposing scarfers that dont suspect a thing f.e. 252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hitmonlee: 252-297 (104.5 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Work Up

I wanted speed+a wincon without having to resort to a z move like Growth Whimsi had to do, so just decided to slap this on a team. It worked alright in tests, but unfortunately didn't end up doing anything in the snake game except for being death fodder fodder because my Xatu was more important in the particular situation.

Phase 2

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpD / 216 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Defog
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Decided to throw out an extremely uncommon mon vs Jayde. This thing worked amazing in tests with the right support as a reliable defogger vs rockers xatu cant handle, semi ice resist, special wall and annoying pp staller. Unfort that I kinda misplayed it and Vileplume ended up having to carry the squad, but I made a bunch of teams with this thing after all cause i ended up loving it.

Garbodor @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Def
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Curse
- Seed Bomb

Was getting sick and tired of xatu bouncing all my hazards and my love for Drudd had not fully developped yet, so i pumped out this bad boy to end that thing real quick. Expertly EV'd to somehow live a +2 knock from absol at the right moment, but ended up losing this game anyway because im a stupid dumbass.

Phase 3

Charizard @ Normalium Z
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 32 HP / 216 SpA / 32 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Celebrate
- Roost

Tbh, this is the set that everyone expects in SM when facing a zard, just posting it because it had not seen any tour play before yet. This thing is an absolutely amazing wincon even if you dont have something like parting shot/memento support and it worked like a charm vs fooly. With the bulk it gains in addition to its power it can reverse whole games by itself if there are no rocks up. The EV's let it live a hydro vortex from slowbro which i thought would be pretty nifty so you could roost on the regen switchout.

Druddigon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 72 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Gunk Shot

P big on dragons in this phase. Ice cream is fucking broken so I decided to go with this cool lure set that takes care of it real quickly even after a SR/two hail round(s).

252+ SpA Choice Specs Vanilluxe Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 72 SpD Yache Berry Druddigon: 265-313 (74 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
136+ Atk Druddigon Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Vanilluxe: 284-336 (100.3 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Unfort no ice cream to donk, but instead a broken as butterfly that shouldve torn my butt open but i pulled the win out of there somehow in the end.

All in all this tier was p enjoyable to play, hope I get a chance to give it another shot in SPL.

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
I didn't have the best snake but I brought out some pretty cool stuff that I'd like to share. Also, I'm kind of hi-jacking this post for my slam sets too :p

All my teams across the tours:

aubade (Delphox) @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 Spe
Timid Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Flamethrower
- Toxic

Recently became my favorite NU set. meeps and I were theory crafting fun sets to build with and he jokingly (I think jokingly?) suggested spdef Delphox as a counter to Whims and Ice Cream. Don't recall exactly how it played out but I probably said something like ". u right" and we proceeded to come up with the best possible EVs for this set. Now, originally the set had 112 Speed EVs just to outspeed Mowtom and kill but after my game with sorry where I realized his Hitmonlee outsped me, I added 8 more EVs to hit 301. The rest of the Evs were just dumped into defense because its base spdef is solid enough and with defense it serves as a sort-of Emboar counter as long as you don't switch into earthquakes. The set is pretty basic for a wish-tect mon, Flamethrower has the most PP and still does solid damage and toxic for mons like Bro and Vaporeon. Anyways, the set is actually really good and while it seems like a gimmicky and bad set it puts in work for sure. The set's debut was in my NU slam game vs Rodri and after playing around his Vaporeon and getting it Toxic'd he had no way to break my team with the Phox set. It was used 3 times afterwards in snake by meeps twice and myself once (albeit mostly as a joke) but it still showed a degree of effectiveness except when meeps stayed in on a Seismi hydro. HIGHLY recommend anyone give this a go..

caroline cow (Miltank) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Punishment
- Milk Drink

This is the set I brought vs Hootie in our snake game. Originally, it was just a standard Miltank with Toxic but a decent amount of my teams had a really noticeable Mismagius weakness and the one I was planning on bringing was no different. This set also started out as a joke, I believe? My man Ash Ketchup actually suggested Punishment>Toxic for +2 Missy and I calc'd it to do around 80 mid. That's when I checked the /dt on PS and noticed that z punishment is actually strong as fuck, hitting around 160 BP so I suggested this change to the set. It was received with the typical LOL and hello???'s but then we realized it could actually be sorta decent so I kept it. The damage vs a typical Xatu spread would only do around 60 but Miltank fishes with slam paras so that wasn't too much of an issue. It also switches into Sneasel flawless with the Impish nature and hits annoying mons like Phox and Sigi hard. Cool set, would use on more teams that don't require a Z on other mons.

ivan ice-cream (Vanilluxe) (M) @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Toxic

This set doesn't stray too far from typical ice cream sets but it's a set I've come to like a lot. Ever since my snake game vs Kush where Cryo just sat on me for days, I reconsidered how I used Vani as a whole. Before my game, I was thinking that if he brought a Cryo I'd be completely screwed so I asked if I should switch to Toxic>HP Ground. Someone responded by saying that now I lose to Togedemaru, another mon Kush has brought before. I decided to go with my gut and brought HP Ground.. and the rest we'll pretend never happened. This set was amazing in the Barbar meta because Timid NMI was able to bluff scarf pretty well for unsuspecting Bros and Barbaracle and then destroy them. All I really have to say but this set would've been really good in the NU meta a month ago :shrug:

Not gonna elaborate on the others cuz I didn't even use them in snake but here are some sets I really like that I used in snake but don't require too much elaboration, used in slam, and planned to use (RIP ;_;7)
FUCK WHIMSICOTT SET
dogmem (Samurott) @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

DOGMAN SET (underrated as fuck)
dogman (Lycanroc) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock
- Brick Break

credit to a dumb, banned individual for bringing it up

Lapras @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Block
- Perish Song
- Rest
- Freeze-Dry

remember when golbat was a thing? yeah me too..

Hitmonlee @ Rockium Z
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

ambipom in 2017 LuL
Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Frustration

b
Shuckle @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Careful Nature
- Acupressure
- Infestation
- Rest
- Toxic

NICE BARBARACLE!!
grubby shrubby (Whimsicott) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Moonblast
- Leech Seed
- Encore
I believe that's all for now. Seriously had a ton of fun building and playing in this tier for official tours and have no regrets, it's really fun!1

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Here's some of my favorite teams that I either used or made but didn't end up using:

I ended up using some pretty cool, under-appreciated mons, particularly in the 1st and 2nd phase, and these were some of my favorites:

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I wanted something that could threaten fat Slowbro / Golbat / Lix cores and chew hits from Whimsicott + Vanilluxe, and this mon was perfect for that. It worked out well in the game I used him and subsequent games because it literally never dies. Takes advantage of lots of teams without Ghost-types or stuff like SD Rhydon, and even then, just pair it with a Pursuit trapper like Sneasel and go to town. Really solid mon, especially in a meta where Whims is dominating.

Haunter @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Haunter is another super underrated mon I wanted to try since Ghost-types in general are very underprepped for (even im guilty of this sometimes) and it has the coverage to tear through typical Ghost-type checks e.g Guzzlord, MAudino. I had Energy Ball over Psychic at first but I knew my opponent liked Golbat, so I went with Psychic. SubSplit also worked well in tests, and the BU Gurdurr team I posted uses scarf which also worked surprisingly well since you have the power and coverage to revenge a ton of mons like Whims, Sceptile, Delphox, Emboar, and Virizion. Pretty unexplored mon that puts in work if you can play around Sneasel, definitely worth a try.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Bullet Seed / Gyro Ball

Another unused mon I wanted to try out which ended up getting some solid usage for the rest of the tour. Whimsicott is just so dominating atm that anything that can check it is godly. You're pretty much forced to use a Pursuit trapper or Piloswine with it to pressure Xatu, but luckily I predicted my opp not to use xatu and it payed off. TWave is also SUPER annoying since it cripples all the Fire-types that switch into you, and you surprisingly get lots of opportunities to set up Spikes. I tried dual status with Toxic over gyro ball, but unless you're 100% in need of a CM Bro counter you should always go with the attack. Pretty nice mon, happy to see it getting some use again.

Overall I really enjoyed this tour, it was my first 'major' teamtour and I have to thank my team for being amazing and buying me in the first place. While I wish I could've ended on the high note I started in the first two phases, but I'm happy with how I went for the most part and look forward to the next Snake tour.

since i dont feel like writing this essay i think ill be posting some cool stuff from this tour to pass the time.

Sigilyph @ Grassium Z
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Roost

sigilyph is lowkey matchup based (nice way of saying it sucks but whatever), but this set is really sick to run up on pilo, rhydon, toad, the slow family, u name it cus z-grass moves are the shit. heat wave can work over roost but the only thing that /really/ helps with in the long run is ferroseed which no one runs so whatever. roost is nice for longevity since i like my sigis chip and healthy.

Archeops @ Rockium Z
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Head Smash
- Roost
- Earth Power / Heat Wave
- Knock Off

mix archeops was a fav set of mine last gen, and while this doesn't have as much immediate power as lo variants, z head smash is obviously a fuckin nuclear war head. the special attacks are primarily just to wear down steelix / ferroseed so that late-game head smash can wreck shop. knock off can be replaced for whatever, but getting rid of slowbros lefties is nice. paired well with the likes of spikes and volttturn.

Jynx @ Grassium Z
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Grass Knot

same deal as the sigi set. ice + psychic is a fucking disgusting stab combo rn and z gk fucks up the main thing that switches into those stabs - after that, most teams rely on shit like emboar or yama as their ice resist and psyshock can fuck up those boys as well. that plus the stupidity of lovely kiss puts jynx in a solid spot this in this meta.

oh also please run them sun is really cool vicky man fucks up everything

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
i used mainly standard stuff but here's some of the more interesting sets i made that were actually used:

Uxie @ Eject Button
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Skill Swap
- Knock Off
- U-turn

this set lets teams not only set up rocks vs. xatu but also allows spikers that usually have problems with xatu to set up a layer as well. the idea is to skill swap xatu on switch and set up rocks the turn after. 99% of the time they'll probably want to u-turn out after being skill swapped which lets you eject out into something like ferroseed which lets you set up another layer of spikes. used this in cycle 2 vs. jayde but he didn't have an xatu so it's effectiveness wasn't displayed

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- U-turn
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

sg used this set in the semifinals. the idea behind the team was to utilize this set to lure in ghost types so they can be trapped for toxicroak. since the standard set is walled by ghost types i figured people wouldn't hesitate to throw their ghost types in which allowed type-null to easily u-turn to sneasel for the trap. it ended up being pretty useful and overall i think this set fits on more teams than the swords dance one since a slow u-turn is real useful to bring in all the hard hitters in this tier

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch

i used this set vs. rodri since i thought whimsicott was real busted at the time and it would be even better if i could lure delphox with sucker punch. obviously giving up rapid spin is pretty big but in my opinion hitmonlees not that great of a spinner anyways cuz it just dies after spinning and can't come in on anything

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Posting this for rozes:

"wasnt really planning on posting this, but w/ a push from some ppl and in order to help the meta move along imma just post a bunch of teams i made for lax / sg / eternally / others over the course of snake and slam, not all are good but i think all have merits or some cool sets someone can make use of

teams are (mostly) in chronological order starting from phase 3 at the top and phase 1 at the bottom

http://pokepast.es/fa67b968c5d8fa57

gogoat isnt completely terrible in this meta, hard to pick between grass z / ground z / rock z though, grass z has been pretty useful though so thats what ive been using. also has another version w/ clefairy > miltank, rockers w/ recovery are good :o

http://pokepast.es/3d542114324ff958

the idea was to use klink vs snaga after dod and i talked about how it has the potential to destroy common balance cores. some unfortunate circumstances happened during the game to cause a loss but i think he could have won s/o the crit burn + happiness bug =[

http://pokepast.es/19a787599da2f0c7
http://pokepast.es/c905ed0657666af8
http://pokepast.es/b99de2254da6e613

auro is the best ho lead esp when paired w/ an offensive spiker. these were the three builds i ended up making with the auro + garb duo, but i think there is a lot more to be looked into in terms of these builds.

http://pokepast.es/a6322cab8dd237cf

bouff seemed like a fun idea in my head, not really that amazing on paper despite being able to check whims fairly well. does a bit of work but you are better off using another sub mon like brav over it.

http://pokepast.es/fe48674ccc5cec1d

alts underrated esp when added to a fun d/f/s core like whims and klinklang. fairly standard team aside from that though.

http://pokepast.es/df018d8858fa49d1
http://pokepast.es/c275ff8a794983c6

two variations of other ho builds i was trying out, one much more recent than the other in terms of mons. i feel medis pretty underrated considering nothing really wants to take on hjk / tpunch allowing it to run dual prio fairly safely. omas also pretty underwhelming, better off using smth like crustle in that slot aside from it being nice to set up on fire moves w/ oma.

http://pokepast.es/5df79681a4410811

was looking for a viable silvally form and came accross this idea. rock slide > tox is an option but golbat isnt rlly a pokemon so i figured toxic would be better in general.

http://pokepast.es/dfe42928235f0248

cb bull / bull in general is super underrated atm for some reason, despite it checking a really large portion of the meta along w/ the fact most fairy checks have shifted to being spdef due to the rising of whims. paired w/ kk and alt for a nice d/f/s core as well in order to better check everything.

http://pokepast.es/dbd010483bac34b9

hails not that great atm and idt this build is optimized @ all for the current meta or really any meta esp w/ the decline of opposing ice cream to take advantage of. i do think this is better than that garbage 4x ice team w/ lead lass ive seen some people using.

http://pokepast.es/89df44656fbd6ed4

lol probably regret giving garay this esp since it was such a ct pick that it wasnt really bound to do well. frogs still nice atm i feel bc an offensive tspiker that can pressure xatu is really nice. brav is also really nice vs some of the teams meeps was using, but happened to be the game he brought a kk (also a really good pick vs meeps)

http://pokepast.es/4b7c69ea6aafdc95

my other idea for meeps since i felt brav was a good pick still and pairing it w/ something like ditto allowed it to function better vs barb / klinklang. build ended up being a bit to fat for my liking, especially since i lack a cleric which can cause a lot of issues vs toxic spam since nothing rlly wants to come in on it. def wanna optimize this bc it was a really fun build when it did work.

http://pokepast.es/7d9726117bcfdd00
http://pokepast.es/1972160569df2377

specs lapras actually isnt bad atm, but the idea for this team came around me wanting to build with perish trap lapras for one of lax's opps (idr who it was anymore). decided to put specs on it during testing bc i didnt want ppl to pick up on perish lapras since i felt it was pretty good @ getting rid of some fat mons. team ended up pretty good aside from a lack of a ground immunity, prob needs some tweaking to use it in the future.

http://pokepast.es/e693950847b5224b

dodrios good, return on it is bad i feel since +2 qa is able to dispose of things faster like whims / lee with a little chip.

http://pokepast.es/5bdad1a7b803663f

weathers still broken :shrug:

http://pokepast.es/6330114e0f2d244b

after eternally showed me yui.'s bulds i pointed out how aboma was a really nice pick vs the teams that he had been using so far in snake. i really like how this build turned out even if eternally decided not to roll w/ aboma in the end. gastros a really nice pick on some builds due to how well it can take advantage of tox + tect along w/ being able to counter emboar really well.

http://pokepast.es/3fbe655cf9529dbb

one of my favorite teams i built, alola eggy can be super threatening when supported right and i think this builds manages to do that. used to have scarf barb > kabu in order to really pull off the non-choiced emboar and ss barb bluff, but this still manages to do that in a sense. also sash endeavor viv is still really good in this meta.

http://pokepast.es/df8e880e492c4eb2

the stall i made during phase 2 bc lax wanted to stall hootie. this team is decent aside from having a really hard time against xatu since i have to resort to pp stalling it most of the time. z tox pyuku is to take on taunt doom and smth else i cant put my finger on atm.

http://pokepast.es/c2579b7fd4031f56

clefairy and slowbro are really nice when paired together since they are able to wall each others checks like emboar / whims / ice cream etc. team ended up a bit too passive for my liking since your only big offensive presence is really emboar and the team lost a lot of momentum really easily in tests so we ended up not using it, still a fan of the core + team though.

http://pokepast.es/9b26e2f611ffcdd1

lax wanted to use z ice ice cream vs kush and this is the best way i could figure to support it bc eject gets it in really nicely. team ended up really weak to cryo so i put toxic on this version, but we figured there was a higher chance of kush bringing toge which ended up basically costing lax the loss on mu. also i think he used some diff coverage on sigi, but thats fairly inconsequential since sigi can really run anything atm.

http://pokepast.es/d7b98cd5bf719c4b

the ho i was spamming phase 1 / early phase 2, really a big fan of this build since its just a lot of threats that work well together. w/ barb banned im not really sure what can go in that slot since im not the biggest oma fan (thought it does kind of work here). scarf dodrios a really nice revenge killer for ho i feel ppl dont use fsr bc its decent atk + high bp stabs leads to it being a good revenge killer in the meta.

http://pokepast.es/0701c51e45429b82

wanted lax to use z kiss jynx vs kush bc his fatter builds always were weak to it (hootie did give in to me and use it phase 3 for a win), and joey ended up using this level 56 in slam playoffs as well. this is also the team i first decided to try out offensive sub seed whims on which kind of caught on afterwards w/ hootie and disj both hyping it up in different places, which i feel is warranted for such a good set.

http://pokepast.es/36616310e9f15f2a
http://pokepast.es/7a55c09b6601fff4

both the webs builds i made, one that has a specs chatot the other so that golbat / other defoggers can never defog vs you with a combo of double taunt + fast boom. both builds i feel are fairly good. z bug gallade > all other ones btw i dont even think theres much of an argument to be had since bug is able to ohko xatu / uxie / slowbro @ +2 which grass / elec / whatever else ppl are using seem to fail on one of these.

http://pokepast.es/4fb7ee3b3e06f1ea

dod wanted to use a tauros in open so i decided to throw this together, came out /ok/ but tauros really isnt that good atm so i dont see much used to this team now.

http://pokepast.es/4d5450a76d17f060

wanted lax to use a ditto balance build vs blast since he tends to use set up spam builds a lot more than your average person which led to making a team i would never really use otherwise. team turned out pretty fun and i think? i won an official tour w/ it so it isnt that bad ig

http://pokepast.es/b490ef7217c04275

claw + lagging tail whims is a super fun strat i saw after seeing ppl use lagging tail whims in other tiers. this build was born out of that and it ended up pretty solid all things considered. claw can really be any set you want, sub + lo isnt the best idea but it does work sometimes. prob would do ebelt / wise glass > lo if you keep sub or try out hp grass in the last slot > sub.

there are quite a few more teams from semis / a few more i cant find fsr but im fairly tired after putting all of this together already so its w/e

thx eternally for posting"​

Might as well post something here:

DUDEMAN (Xatu) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Roost
- U-turn

Vibrant Vivs (Vivillon-Ocean) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Endeavor

OBII is ugly (Barbaracle) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell

Eternally (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Seed Bomb

Metaphysical (Sneasel) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

ReLAX (Emboar) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Toxic

This is the only team I used that was mine, I built a hell of a lot of stuff during the entire tour but I don't think it's worthwile to post it. This team is pretty cool; I wanted something that could work vs stall (cause Rodri was supposed to be my opponent) that at the same time didn't auto lose to any other style, and I came up with sash endeavor vivillon (shoutouts rozes for the set ;w;) and sub barbaracle. I won't explain the whole thought process bc this isn't a RMT but I wanna say it's pretty solid overall (barb took adavantage of the team's weaknesses to set up for free).

Last edited:

SPACE FORCE meeps

LAW & ORDER!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
all my teams (from start to finish, including some that didn't feature)

phase 1:

https://hastebin.com/jamefobugi.diff - vs kush

fairly standard, not one of my more impressive teams. honestly didn't have a lot of motivation to build during the first phase for the first couple matches. idea behind ebelt vanilluxe was it could bluff scarf (doesn't hit as hard as icicle plate) and then ko togedemaru with hp ground. vikavolt seemed like it could be a cool nuke as sub roost attacker

https://hastebin.com/ehukaxuyej.diff - vs yui

pretty neat team, gogoat can consistently check whimsicott and get some opportunities to setup. rockium z was for vikavolt which it can ohko at +1. originally started with groundium z piloswine which is kinda a cool lure for stuff like hariyama which could open up opportunities for vanilluxe to kill stuff, but i eventually felt like the bulk was needed

https://hastebin.com/ineqejoper.diff - vs blast

eggy-alola was a pokemon i had fun building with in nupl, decided to use it again here. really nice with dragonium z as a one time nuke. dittos always a cool revenge killer and was especially nice during barb meta, worked out well for my match vs blast cuz he brought a number of setup sweepers. overall this is one of my better teams i built for snake (i had another nice ditto build but i didn't use it because the first test battle i had with it didn't work out well, but i ended up using that in other tour matches and it turned out to be good anyways)

phase 2:

https://hastebin.com/poyepuzeha.diff - vs flcl

kinda wanted to use medicham vs flcl, and ultimately decided it would be nice to use with webs. decided on masquerain over shuckle because it can threaten xatu and allow it to setup webs. waterium z seismitoad is also cool because it can ohko xatu to make it easier to setup rocks and webs. had a tough matchup in setting them up though having to face a rotom-c though, but i got bailed by a misclick to win anyways

https://hastebin.com/xuqifiyewa.diff - vs hootie

wanted to build another team with raticate-alola, which i did multiple times during nupl. wanted to try lo quick attack because it can ohko stuff like virizion and emboar after rocks + spike, which is why i paired with froslass. agility vikavolt was also kinda cool, esp paired with memento whimsicott. kinda fun team to play with, but missing with raticate-alola can kinda suck

https://hastebin.com/abadaqidim.diff - built for lax (never used)

lax was my main testing partner throughout snake, so i kinda had good idea of what he'd used and how he would build. thought it was possible he'd bring cryogonal so i built with low kick fightium seismitoad which could ohko it, while also opening up breaking opportunities for vanilluxe.

https://hastebin.com/ayowelutul.diff - vs garay

imprision uxie is a set i liked during xy nu, wanted to build with it in sm. paired it with ludicolo because it's nice for taking advantage of a number of rockers, while offering a nice wincon.

phase 3:

https://hastebin.com/asavoraduc.diff - vs eternally

definitely my favorite team i built for snake, and probably my best as well. eternally used delphox a lot in past matches, so i thought av thick fat raticate-alola would be cool as a solid counter which could pursuit trap it. this opened up opporunities for whimsicott and magmortar to be threatening offensively as well. really liked audino on this build too, won a lot of test matches for me just toxic stalling late game, and ultimately that happened in the end in my match vs eternally

https://hastebin.com/onatinuzay.diff - vs rodri and sorry

co-built with lax, we were brainstorming what to use with rodri, started off with malamar cuz it was good for breaking through some fat cores. then i suggested wishtect delphox as an option to check stuff that can harm malamar. lax didn't think i was serious and we just carried through with it, and it turned out to be a legitimately good set.

playoffs:

https://hastebin.com/kiqisutilu.diff - built for elodin

pretty cool team that i never got to use in snake, i think it is a pretty good team though. double tailwind with whimsicott and braviary is neat, letting clawitzer and toxicroak be threatening against offensive teams. another team with imprision uxie too, kinda pairs nicely with clawitzer since clawitzer is so strong, and imprision prevents xatu from trying to u-turn, so uxie is really good at creating free turns for teammates.

https://hastebin.com/senosajuti.diff - vs elodin (meme match)

i used this team a lot in friendly matches on smogtours, team is really funny in general though, simply abusing eject button to get free switches into ursaring, which lets it do work unless the opponent has steelix or slowbro, which turn out to be slower than ursaring so they outspeed in trick room. klinklang is there to clean up late game.

https://hastebin.com/ihafitijig.diff - vs snaga

neat defensive core which is fairly hard to break, altaria is pretty cool for checking all fire-types quite nicely. started with vanilluxe over emboar but i was kinda weak to sneasel, so i decided bulk up z fightinium emboar would be neat, especially to lure stuff like druddigon. iapapa curse steelix was cool for xatu, since it allows steelix to beat xatu, then heal up with iapapa berry to give it a chance to set up rocks later in the match if necessary.

This tour was really enjoyable for me in the sense of building and playing in the NU tier. It all started calling with Yui. atleast twice a week building hours on end. It really made me more involved in the tier and his innovative mindset really added an aspect to my building that I lacked before. Despite going 2-2 in NU I can say I'm relatively happy with how I played my games.

Here are the teams I made.

Sandslash-Alola @ Buginium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Leech Life
- Swords Dance

Vanilluxe @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Protect
- Roost

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Darkest Lariat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

So the building process was pretty much Yui saying he wanted to bring hail one time in phase 1 so we brainstormed some ideas and I came up with this skeleton and we filled in the sets. It looks really unconventional on paper with Incineroar+Torterra+Jellicent but it worked out really well in tests. The main reason I had Torterra as the rocker of choice instead of a Rhydon or Seismitoad is because it checks mowtom very well and being able to pause momentum that it provided vs this team seemed pretty important. Bugz on sandslash is for slowbro.

Vaporeon @ Normalium Z
EVs: 12 HP / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Celebrate

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 152 SpD / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Toxic

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Memento

Vikavolt @ Life Orb
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Roost

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 24 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic
- Haze
- Spikes

So after looking at all the teams flcl used up to this point during snake I noticed some common trends in his building and I felt like I could try and take advantage of them. He didn't use anything overly bulky so I felt this Vaporeon set in particular could give me a good match up vs whatever he brought (being able to set up on seismitoads and being able to sub on a sack). For the rest of the team I wanted to support vaporeon as much as I could. The game was relatively sloppy from my end but my vaporeon set worked perfectly and I still won that game 80% of the time so I don't really have any regrets regarding with the team itself.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7nu-322826

Pretrial Tux (Vanilluxe) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Flash Cannon

Public Doom (Houndoom) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Destiny Bond

Brobation (Slowbro) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Slack Off
- Counter

Judge Drudd (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Deputy Xatu (Xatu) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Roost
- Reflect

Jury Demaru (Togedemaru) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Spiky Shield
- Wish

I honestly had no idea what Soulgazer was going to bring so I decided to just bring a standard build. I used destiny bond>flame charge/taunt on houndoom because I wanted a way to potentially lure something like a hariyama for Vanilluxe. Only other notable thing is this team was kind of the kick off to my Reflect xatu craze and I feel like it's a really cool fourth move enabling you to beat things like rhydon/piloswine a lot more easily. Also Drudd is the undisputed best rocker in the tier. Ban Xatu
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7nu-323935

Liepard @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot
- Copycat

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Toxic

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Garbodor @ Poisonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes

EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Night Shade
- Toxic
- Reflect
- Roost

While building for Elodin I expected some sort of "cheese" 100% rather it be some sort of vivillion build, webs or stall. I decided to build around liepard because it has the cool ability to revenge +1 vivillion with any sort of prior damage thanks to prankster copycat and it's a pretty potent revenge killer in the meta. Outside of that the build is pretty standard outside of the xatu set. I chose this set in particular because I didn't wanted to get red carded by a shuckle and a Type null behind a reflect seemed incredibly broken on paper and it worked well in tests too. I opted for night shade as my only attacking move as I mono psychic coverage doesn't seem optimal to me and the consistent damage output from night shade is pretty nice. Unfortunately Elodin brought the other broken flying type in Braviary and I had a really rough time beating it. I felt I played around it pretty nice as the game came down to him dodging multiple crits from type null and him avoiding a dark pulse flinch from liepard.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7nu-325477

Scrafty @ Chople Berry
Ability: Shed Skin
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Dance

Mismagius @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 28 Def / 120 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 4 SpD / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Pain Split
- Spikes

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 4 SpD / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

So going into this game I didn't bother prepping from meeps builds because he is so unpredictable. I'm really satisfied with how this build turned and it worked really well in the games I had. Just another thing to note is that I would literally never use this mismag coverage vs anyone else but I really didn't want to get hard walled by a mon like assault vest raticate and I didn't want to lose to a braviary again lol. If you'd want to go with a 3 attack route then Powergem+dazzling is probably a better option for coverage.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7nu-330162

Overall I had a lot of fun in this tour, I couldn't have asked for a better team to support me in my first smogon team tour :heart:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)